Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Shadow Hearts is a JRPG on the PS2. It's the sequel to a game called Koudelka, which was pretty much RE1 meets a (not very good) rpg. Koudelka is like Evil Dead, where as Shadow Hearts is like Evil Dead 2, if you get what I mean. The major thing behind Shadow Hearts is the Fate Wheel, or whatever it's called. Basically, you time button presses on a spinning wheel to determine the success of an attack, and it's really satisfying. Shadow Hearts 2 also introduces a juggling mechanic of sorts, where you can keep enemies in the air and have your party members run into them. Also, the protagonist, Yuri, can transform into different monsters that give him different stats. All the characters generally have some sort of gimmick to them. Speaking of Yuri, he's a real fun protagonist. I'd describe him as Joseph Joestar meets Dante from Devil May Cry. The series has a ton of heart, great atmosphere and excellent gameplay. Also, you can collect gay trading cards for a sidequest in Shadow Hearts 2.

I mentioned atmosphere earlier, and the best way to get what I mean is, well, listen to this battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8rIVqZs6y4

So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

in japanese shooter games that had a lot of heart that was ignored anyways theres also binary domain, which is really cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Actually there is one specific plot point that is traced through all 4 of the games, but it's only ever a thematic connection between the games, not the main plot. Picking up on it greatly improved my enjoyment with From The New World, though.
hm, mind refreshing my memory? I probably know what you're talking about but it's been a while, and I haven't played new world since it was released.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

in japanese shooter games that had a lot of heart that was ignored anyways theres also binary domain, which is really cool

Binary Domain is pretty much the only good third person shooter released in the last few years.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Binary Domain is pretty much the only good third person shooter released in the last few years.

its that and vanquish, coincidence??

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

koudelka is going to be on steam? i thought the rights to all the shadow hearts games, including that, were stored in a pachinko machine somewhere in hong kong

Some company called console classics has been porting emulated PS1 games they've picked the rights to on to steam. Most of the games are shovelware but Koudelka is one of the standout ones imo.

http://www.consoleclassics.co/?page_id=15

A few of the games are already out on steam, just a matter of time til Koudelka shows up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

vanquish doesnt really have a lot of heart though, its just a cool fun to play game

which is also nice to be

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

To expand on From The New World, it still retains some horror elements but they are largely in terms of enemy design or in certain sidequests, but the rest of the game is more or less comedy combined with a mostly uninteresting story (or rather, it's interesting for the first half maybe, then completely stops being interesting until the second to final dungeon), but FTNW has the best combat in the whole series so it is still worth playing through.
At least Dead Fingers Talk is good

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

its that and vanquish, coincidence??

And splatoon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Some company called console classics has been porting emulated PS1 games they've picked the rights to on to steam. Most of the games are shovelware but Koudelka is one of the standout ones imo.

http://www.consoleclassics.co/?page_id=15

A few of the games are already out on steam, just a matter of time til Koudelka shows up.
man, they must have picked up those rights in a bargain bin. d is also cool to see, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

And splatoon

im starting to notice a pattern here

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9_wEF6ccjg

my goal in life is to always be as pumped as big bo and the mc of binary domain are to be riding future jetskis

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i love big bo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

hm, mind refreshing my memory? I probably know what you're talking about but it's been a while, and I haven't played new world since it was released.

I'm talking about the Emigre Manuscript and how it's super important to all 4 games.

Major Plot Spoilers for each game

Koudelka: messing around with the emigre manuscript is more or less what caused a good portion of the mess going on at the nemeton monastery, iirc
Shadow Hearts: In addition to it trying to be used to resurrect someone and failing, leading to a horrific monster being born, it was also one of the main 3 documents required for one of the major rituals in the game
Shadow Hearts Covenant: It was used in an attempt to resurrect both Alice, and failed, as well as the attempted revival of Kawashima, whose "failure" more or less resulted in what happened towards the end of the game
Shadow Hearts From The New World: Johnny Garland is the first "successful" use of the Emigre Manuscript, but unfortunately resulted in some unfortunate side effects, most notably Lady

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Tatsunoko fight looks real bad and slow, geez...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wrong link, but yeah Dead Fingers Talk is real good, and so is a lot of the music in all 4 games.

They operate on a scale of inverse horror/good gameplay. The more horror-y the series was, the less good the gameplay was, and vice versa

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

i love big bo

He's always so happy when you tell him he did a good job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm talking about the Emigre Manuscript and how it's super important to all 4 games.

Major Plot Spoilers for each game

Koudelka: messing around with the emigre manuscript is more or less what caused a good portion of the mess going on at the nemeton monastery, iirc
Shadow Hearts: In addition to it trying to be used to resurrect someone and failing, leading to a horrific monster being born, it was also one of the main 3 documents required for one of the major rituals in the game
Shadow Hearts Covenant: It was used in an attempt to resurrect both Alice, and failed, as well as the attempted revival of Kawashima, whose "failure" more or less resulted in what happened towards the end of the game
Shadow Hearts From The New World: Johnny Garland is the first "successful" use of the Emigre Manuscript, but unfortunately resulted in some unfortunate side effects, most notably Lady
yeah that's what i figured, but i couldn't remember the appearance of it in new world. thx.

Normie Slayer posted:

Tatsunoko fight looks real bad and slow, geez...
it's a licensed ps1 fighter

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

He's always so happy when you tell him he did a good job.

It's the worst thing in the world to try to praise Big Bo but have the game receive it as an admonishment and he gets sad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Fate/Zero is good and so are Saber and Rider

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sharkopath posted:

It's the worst thing in the world to try to praise Big Bo but have the game receive it as an admonishment and he gets sad.

That happened to me in the first level so I switched to button inputs for the interactions

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fate/Zero is good and so are Saber and Rider

Two of those statements are not true at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

That happened to me in the first level so I switched to button inputs for the interactions

I still blame it for me not getting the good ending, I should have been wise like you.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Wrong link, but yeah Dead Fingers Talk is real good, and so is a lot of the music in all 4 games.

They operate on a scale of inverse horror/good gameplay. The more horror-y the series was, the less good the gameplay was, and vice versa
That happens to me way too often.

Also I just want to leave Ladder to Heaven

Oh, and if you're familiar with Chaos Wars, a game with notoriously bad voice acting, Shadow Hearts characters appear in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Yuri is referred to by his Japanese name because :effort:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

Two of those statements are not true at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Binary Domain the only way to get the good ending is to be friendly and loving towards everybody, an important example to set for the children.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

yeah that's what i figured, but i couldn't remember the appearance of it in new world. thx.

Yea, its appearance is more or less the only thing that makes the plot of from the new world even vaguely interesting again

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I had the good ending. :D very happy about. All the characters are my friends.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

Oh, and if you're familiar with Chaos Wars, a game with notoriously bad voice acting, Shadow Hearts characters appear in it.

Yeah, that weird strategy rpg crossover of shadow hearts, gungrave, and uhh

I dunno what else. But it was only available in gamestop I think, and all the voices were family members of the dude put in charge of translating it lmao

Never got to play it though. It looks like it plays similarly to phantom brave, kinda sorta

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Normie Slayer posted:

From what I heard, the voice acting is because SCEA wouldn't allow it to be released if it only had a japanese voice track, so the translator just got his friends and family to do the voices as cheaply as possible. I have no idea if that's A FAN THEORY or an actual thing, though.

Also Shadow Hearts is insanely good and you should play at least the first two games asap

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you like sexy but insane vampires, Shadow Hearts is the series for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chaos wars wasn't awful if you switched to JP voice acting.

also:

quote:

Chaos Wars is a crossover between several companies' role-playing video game series, including Aruze's Shadow Hearts, Atlus's Growlanser, Idea Factory's Blazing Souls, Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires, and RED Entertainment's Gungrave and Shinsengumi Gunraw Den

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm disappointed Smoking Crow never watched da fwigging flaps stream where I played the first hours of shadow hearts...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

I had the good ending. :D very happy about. All the characters are my friends.

I'm sad it didnt do too well and will never get a sequel cause I think where it ends would also be a cool game to play.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

minigun robotwife on the run adventure

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Growlanser, is the PSP Growlanser any good? I've had it for a while and have started to play it a bunch of times and just never had the attention span to get past the first bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a jrpg super robot wars is an insanely cool idea, and im sad chaos wars and the crappy project x zone games are the closest we'll get.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know poo poo about gundam except g gundam, but I guess one of the characters in shadow hearts covenant just quotes Char Aznable for all of his special sidequest fights??

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K. Flaps posted:

I'm disappointed Smoking Crow never watched da fwigging flaps stream where I played the first hours of shadow hearts...

i'm sorry i was studying latin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shadow Hearts is expensive now, new copies are $100 and used ones are $50

• Locked thread