Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just got our 2016 assessment and it went up 88 grand, which is 44% from last year. lol gently caress you city

Time to put together my appeal.

Do never buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Good luck with the appeal! How long do they normally take to get back to you where you live? I remember reading here that it was like 2 years for San Francisco.

moana fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 18, 2015

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm not 100% sure on that.
I can file my appeal online, luckily, and just glancing over records, my neighbor with the slightly bigger but new build is 60K lower than me, so I don't expect pulling together some comps to be difficult.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

QuarkJets posted:

Does your house have any locks at all?
Yes. Locks are for honest people and family.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Presumably just a knob lock, right? No need for a deadbolt if you're just protecting your home from nosy family members and honest people who aren't going to rob you anyway

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
When I moved in, I just popped out all the exterior handles and locks and had them re-keyed at the local ace hardware for a few bucks apiece. Cheap and easy piece of mind.

Of course, locks ain't gonna do much of anything for anyone determined to get in since both the front doors are almost wholly composed of 120 year old glass panes, but I figure if they've been around for that long, they're probably alright for awhile longer.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Did I just buy a house? Why yes, yes I did.

We asked for the drapes and washer/dryer to be included. In the counter (which we accepted), they also gave us all of the outdoor furniture. Apparently dude has to move to Korea ASAP.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

And for dishonest people we have the big banana (Anne).

On a semi related note: is there any possibility I will recover any of the cost from installing a tornado shelter / safe room in our new home? It is a tornado prone area, but none of the homes we looked at had a shelter installed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a weird random itch I'm having, so I'm asking to see if anyone has any experience/knowledge about this particular subject.

My parents live on an acreage, about 3 acres, and there's a gorgeous clearing that I've had to mow repeatedly over the course of my life, and I was just wondering, if you already have the land at your disposal, how much does it cost to just build a house? More/less than going and buying one that's already in existence? I've looked at a bunch of prefab models as well, and there are a few I found interesting, are those only for people in specific areas of the country (i.e. California)? I would want something fairly minimal, no more than 1400 sq. feet/2bd/2br, both to keep costs down and because I have no idea what I would do with all that space, and I would try to make it efficient as possible, ideally I would be able to control all of my stuff (lights/security/thermometer/media/appliances) with my phone. Is this just the area for rich people, or could an enterprising young person with little debt and lots of life to live set himself up now?

It's not something that's going to happen anytime within the next year or so (I just signed a lease for a year, so I'm locked down for that long), but as I figure out what I want to do as a career, I'm

Ropes4u posted:

And for dishonest people we have the big banana (Anne).

On a semi related note: is there any possibility I will recover any of the cost from installing a tornado shelter / safe room in our new home? It is a tornado prone area, but none of the homes we looked at had a shelter installed.

Do what my uncle did/does and turn it into a meat curing room. Protection from tornadoes, and delicious cured sausage for when you're hiding in there, terrified.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is a weird random itch I'm having, so I'm asking to see if anyone has any experience/knowledge about this particular subject.

My parents live on an acreage, about 3 acres, and there's a gorgeous clearing that I've had to mow repeatedly over the course of my life, and I was just wondering, if you already have the land at your disposal, how much does it cost to just build a house? More/less than going and buying one that's already in existence? I've looked at a bunch of prefab models as well, and there are a few I found interesting, are those only for people in specific areas of the country (i.e. California)? I would want something fairly minimal, no more than 1400 sq. feet/2bd/2br, both to keep costs down and because I have no idea what I would do with all that space, and I would try to make it efficient as possible, ideally I would be able to control all of my stuff (lights/security/thermometer/media/appliances) with my phone. Is this just the area for rich people, or could an enterprising young person with little debt and lots of life to live set himself up now?

It's not something that's going to happen anytime within the next year or so (I just signed a lease for a year, so I'm locked down for that long), but as I figure out what I want to do as a career, I'm

In Michigan you would get a mobile home to meet all of these needs. If you wanted to have a house built the costs are highly variable depending on what you want but $80 a sq ft is the low end for most areas. Anything rectangular like a saltbox will be cheaper to construct. There are other less traditional options like pacific yurts or other semi permanent housing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Welp, just finished moving into our new home and the wife's car has had an egg thrown at it. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come from lovely kids in the neighborhood. Really hoping it's not a message from racists in the neighborhood

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Do what my uncle did/does and turn it into a meat curing room. Protection from tornadoes, and delicious cured sausage for when you're hiding in there, terrified.

If you have any plans of selling it later build a 3/2, we Americans are in love with giant homes. If you are living there forever I would research ICF homes and take my time building the home of my dreams. If you have expendable cash there are lots of efficient and beautiful prefabs available for crazy money (200+ a sq/ft)

The tornado shelter will be downstairs in the basement. We will build it 12x12 so it resembles another bedroom. I will cover the inner metal walls with Sheetrock to keep it presentable.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 20, 2015

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Welp, just finished moving into our new home and the wife's car has had an egg thrown at it. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come from lovely kids in the neighborhood. Really hoping it's not a message from racists in the neighborhood

Uh oh.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

QuarkJets posted:

No poo poo? Just parked outside or something? That's unreal.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sure it wasn't an egg that fell from a nest or something?

If it was a single chicken egg it is probably just some kid who snuck one out of the fridge to be a rebel without mom noticing. A racist would probably do something more serious like key the car or use a significant amount of eggs.

I wouldn't worry too much unless it keeps happening.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is there a thread like this for selling a house, or do house sales questions go here too?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Bring it!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

QuarkJets posted:

Aliexpress yourself some 720p POE IP Cameras. $25-30 a pop, work very well. We have 5 at my shop and 3 up so far at our new rental, with another 3-4 going in shortly. I recommend BlueIris for the software. I run it on a VM on my server.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

SiGmA_X posted:

Aliexpress yourself some 720p POE IP Cameras. $25-30 a pop, work very well. We have 5 at my shop and 3 up so far at our new rental, with another 3-4 going in shortly. I recommend BlueIris for the software. I run it on a VM on my server.

Got a link or model number on the specific one you have? There are a ton of options. Also I'd be really interested in an example video if you have something handy.

I have an indoor IP camera pointed out the front window right now - mostly just to see if the door is worth answering when the bell rings (hint: it isn't). If I can find something that cheap that isn't total garbage then I might actually go through the hassle of running wire in the attic - maybe even to all the entry points in the house. Bonus points for POE and IR night mode. :)

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
im not going to bother reading this whole thread but i saw it in lepers colony and im going to buy a house and am pretty excited except that it needs:
-new breaker box and some other electrical work
-new hvac (mostly just the ducting needs to be re-done)
-new floors
-new kitchen countertops/cabinets
-new vanity in bathroom
-some new light fixtures
-some plumbing work
-paint interior/exterior

despite all that it is an excellent deal (getting it for far under appraisal and tax assessment) and the inspection came back with nothing at all serious just this nitpicky stuff that can all be done for well under $20k (ive already had multiple estimates done for the work needed)

should close here soon

gonna be a homeowner for like half of what i was paying in rent, neat

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

This really needs its own post / tutorial for those of us who want to replicate :)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

tomstuart posted:

im not going to bother reading this whole thread but i saw it in lepers colony and im going to buy a house and am pretty excited except that it needs:
-new floors
-new vanity in bathroom
-some new light fixtures
-some plumbing work
-paint interior/exterior

despite all that it is an excellent deal (getting it for far under appraisal and tax assessment) and the inspection came back with nothing at all serious just this nitpicky stuff that can all be done for well under $20k (ive already had multiple estimates done for the work needed)

should close here soon

does it have a basement?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

tomstuart posted:

-new floors
-new vanity in bathroom
-some new light fixtures
-some plumbing work
-paint interior/exterior

should close here soon

Are you sure the roof is OK?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

tomstuart posted:

-new floors
-new vanity in bathroom
-some new light fixtures
-some plumbing work
-paint interior/exterior

should close here soon

You're doing a total renovation except for the roof for under $20k? Seriously all that poo poo with labor included?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You're doing a total renovation except for the roof for under $20k? Seriously all that poo poo with labor included?
yeah we aren't knocking down walls or anything most of this stuff is just cosmetic
we have had multiple estimates and have only gotten quotes from contractors with good reviews or personal recommendations

it also helps that its only a 1200 sq ft house with no foundation, roof, or other structural issues

Andy Dufresne posted:

Are you sure the roof is OK?

roof is 2 years old and is in great shape, inspector said it and the gutter guards looked great and were in good repair

e: i mean if you folks dont believe me i guess i could link you my excel spreadsheet with the totals for all the quoted estimates that add up to something like $18k which gives me some room in the budget for optional projects

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I will look into this, thanks. Hopefully it was an isolated incident

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

tomstuart posted:

yeah we aren't knocking down walls or anything most of this stuff is just cosmetic
we have had multiple estimates and have only gotten quotes from contractors with good reviews or personal recommendations

it also helps that its only a 1200 sq ft house with no foundation, roof, or other structural issues

roof is 2 years old and is in great shape, inspector said it and the gutter guards looked great and were in good repair

e: i mean if you folks dont believe me i guess i could link you my excel spreadsheet with the totals for all the quoted estimates that add up to something like $18k which gives me some room in the budget for optional projects

Honestly, I thought your OP was a joke, because I'd love to see how you're getting only $18k. Are you doing every bit of labor yourself? Just off the top of my head, I'm spending roughly $18k to renovate my 1500 sqft house without any HVAC, plumbing, electrical, or bathroom work. I can't imagine you're doing anything other than the cheapest of cheap for everything, which presents it's own set of problems.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tomstuart posted:

I don't see how what you are describing is possible for 18k without doing everything yourself with some bargain basement stuff.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Andy Dufresne posted:

Honestly, I thought your OP was a joke, because I'd love to see how you're getting only $18k. Are you doing every bit of labor yourself? Just off the top of my head, I'm spending roughly $18k to renovate my 1500 sqft house without any HVAC, plumbing, electrical, or bathroom work. I can't imagine you're doing anything other than the cheapest of cheap for everything, which presents it's own set of problems.

Andy Dufresne posted:

i guess you can doubt all you want but its certainly possible

and no, im not using the cheapest of anything

i mean sure, im putting in laminate floors and lvp in the kitchen, laminate countertops, refinishing the cabinets myself (gently caress shelling out 8k+ for new cabinets), doing all the interior paint, but im not using "bargain basement" products on the contrary, im mostly opting for mid or upper range stuff of the admittedly "lower end" options

this is not a house in a neighborhood where im putting goddamn granite coutnertops or real oak floors in, that just isnt done, the loving house is only worth $90k jesus

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Sure, I still think your estimate is too low. You offered to share a spreadsheet earlier, we're just wondering what it looks like. Maybe you'll amaze us and I'll feel dumb.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

QuarkJets posted:

Presumably just a knob lock, right? No need for a deadbolt if you're just protecting your home from nosy family members and honest people who aren't going to rob you anyway
When I had a deadbolt set and got robbed, it just hosed up the door frame even more. And even if the deadbolt had held, they'd just have broken the windows to get in.

Also, you're getting kinda creepy. You're not planning on robbing my house, are you?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

This really needs its own post / tutorial for those of us who want to replicate :)

We had a surveillance camera thread in AT or DIY but it's in archives now.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

2nd night in the new house, this past weekend - my boyfriend's windshield was shattered by a drunk person who thought it would be funny to dance on the hood. I figured something like that might happen someday, since we'll be street parking a lot, and it's a street with a couple bars.... but drat. Location, location, location.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Andy Dufresne posted:

Sure, I still think your estimate is too low. You offered to share a spreadsheet earlier, we're just wondering what it looks like. Maybe you'll amaze us and I'll feel dumb.

some notes

paint is for sherman williams but not the best its like their midrange interior paint

exterior paint is missing but its not required so we may or may not do it based on other projects

we havent actually done the final budgeting for the window treatments but we only have 8 windows so we think the $1k we have in the budget should be fine if we dont go overboard

the rest is based on actual estimates from contractors or pricing products online (faucet, vanity, etc.)

cabinets is $300 because thats for the paint, i already have sanders etc. so ill be refinishing them myself

e: i realize these arent exact numbers but in almost every case i rounded up to the next nearest $100 mark to give me some wiggle room, we have about $30k set aside for everything but want to keep it under $20k if we can

welcome 2 Clown Town fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 21, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You're doing all the labor yourself?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tomstuart posted:

some notes

Thanks for all the info and stick around and all, but by drat, please start using your shift key and your punctuation and stuff. This is too much.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

moana posted:

You're doing all the labor yourself?

no, for example the floors, electrical, ac, boiler, plumbing, countertops, and backsplash are all priced installed

im mostly just painting and doing some other odds and ends

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

intensive purposes posted:

2nd night in the new house, this past weekend - my boyfriend's windshield was shattered by a drunk person who thought it would be funny to dance on the hood.

First night at the new place we found two tiki torches in our yard. Not sure if that's positive or negative. In the first six months the mailbox has been hit twice by cars, really messed up the second guy's car.

Some notes: I think it was $375 for paint alone (behr) for my house, this budget item might be higher if you don't already have equipment.

Your budget for the stove is low and dishwasher is high (unless we're including installation). You might want to comparison shop a little and keep in mind there is always a sale, so catch them.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

kitten posted:

Some notes: I think it was $375 for paint alone (behr) for my house, this budget item might be higher if you don't already have equipment.

Your budget for the stove is low and dishwasher is high (unless we're including installation). You might want to comparison shop a little and keep in mind there is always a sale, so catch them.

we actually do already have equipment from when i painted my apartment but we bugeted based on 2 gallons/room of the primary and then 2 gallons total of the trim color, i should reiterate its not a very big house

the range is actually the right price, the one we were looking at (gas range with electric oven) is $450 at home depot/lowes and we can pick it up (we have a truck)

the dishwasher is $500 installed because the unit is about $400 and then its $40 for installation, although we are seriously looking at buying a used dishwasher because good ones keep showing up on craigslist for less than $200

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
The quality isn't as good as my friends Foscam 960P camera - but the Aliexpress cams I have are better than my Foscam 720p PTZ's! Those were my first cams.

I'll find links and see about dumping some video or at least a few stills. I have at least 5 different models of the generic 720p Chinacams and they're all basically the same software and quality wise. I have 5 button hole cameras (3 vendors) and 3 outdoor (2 vendors), and they're all basically identical. The first outdoor I bought has an all metal mount vs plastic and I prefer that. I only have 1 true POE, the first outdoor - the rest are not POE but I run injectors and use solid core eithernet cable with great success. I'd suggest POE hands down though, it's far simpler that splitters and injectors and power supplies and poo poo.