Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

My wired 360 controller stopped working ingame and it's loving baffling. Restarted the client a couple times, tried disabling/enabling controller support and recalibrating the inputs, no dice. It's strange since the controller works perfectly with all my other games, and has worked fine with ff14 up until now. Any ideas?

Maybe the controller is set to PS3 mode instead of ABXY mode in the game options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

:siren: HOT CRAFTING TIP - PRECISE TOUCH :siren:

I've been doing this forever in my 35-durability crafting macros

Phlogistic posted:

Cul's 54 one, Muscle Memory, is pretty great for difficult recipes, while the others are...less useful. Goldsmith's one desperately tries to make flawless synthesis a relevant and useful skill and fails miserably. The rest are just name of whatever.

I disagree with this, Maker's Mark is actually a lot better than Muscle Memory if you can actually spare 2 cross-class skill slots. Of course, that is the real trick to it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 20, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I do not understand why anyone likes maker's mark. Compared to the "Name of X" line it seems really inferior. With my gear, my rotation, and my food choice the name of+brand of combo will 1-shot 40/35 dura synths without ingenuity 2 which let's me get an extra hasty in. on 70/80 synths it's worth 550~ progress. Maker's mark does not do this. Even if all the maker's mark hits land, I will still have to either careful twice, or ingenuity II+careful which is way more costly from a cp standpoint. Plus, it slows the whole process down by adding 3-5 stupid steps to each gsm synth.

I hate it. Not too big a fan of the cul skill either because it falls flat in the same way, but at least it's only 1 action and 6 cp.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Maker's Mark is a lot better if you're not trying to land every possible Flawless it gives you. Use it to help a CZ tick down and fish for good procs to tricks. It adds a lot of time to the synth, yes, but very frequently results in an overall CP gain. There is a very noticeable difference when I use it vs. when I don't, especially on 70 dur synths.

I'm not a fan of muscle memory, though. There's nothing it does that I can't do better with maker's, name/brand, and rapid synth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seorin posted:

I'm not a fan of muscle memory, though. There's nothing it does that I can't do better with maker's, name/brand, and rapid synth.

Like Piece by Piece, it will probably be invaluable later in the expansion when recipe levels get higher.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

seorin posted:

Maker's Mark is a lot better if you're not trying to land every possible Flawless it gives you. Use it to help a CZ tick down and fish for good procs to tricks. It adds a lot of time to the synth, yes, but very frequently results in an overall CP gain. There is a very noticeable difference when I use it vs. when I don't, especially on 70 dur synths.

I don't follow. Are you using a second CZ?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
On a 70 dur synth I'll do MM, CZ, IQ and then hit flawless synth to fish for good procs, using tricks as much as I can until my CP maxes out or the MM buff ends. I can almost always do a second CZ somewhere later in the synth, but I try not to waste an SH2 charge for it.

On 35, MM is less useful, but it's still usually a net positive to hit MM, CZ, and then start fishing for goods. Second CZ can happen occasionally, but much more rarely. However, the extra progress from MM almost always takes more difficult crafts down to two CS2s when it would otherwise take 3 (or CS2 + SS). I have mostly stopped doing this for 35 dur crafts as my stats get better, but I'll probably fall back to it when we get harder crafts.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Failboattootoot posted:

First 2 moves: MM -> CZ (provided step 2 isn't Good) Then use up your MM stack, using every Good for TotT, and hitting IQ if it looks like you're gonna cap out on CP.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, I knew potatoes were messed up, but seriously?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

You say that as if using CZ multiple times in a synth is strange.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

How else do you think they get circumcised?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I like how basically every time a description mentions something bad happening, it's to lalafells.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You say that as if using CZ multiple times in a synth is strange.

It is strange to me. I have not done it.

seorin posted:

On 35, MM is less useful, but it's still usually a net positive to hit MM, CZ, and then start fishing for goods. Second CZ can happen occasionally, but much more rarely. However, the extra progress from MM almost always takes more difficult crafts down to two CS2s when it would otherwise take 3 (or CS2 + SS). I have mostly stopped doing this for 35 dur crafts as my stats get better, but I'll probably fall back to it when we get harder crafts.

My experience after level 55 or so is that goods fall off a cliff to the point where getting just the 1 good to refund the cost of maker's is in question.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 20, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I swear to god one of koji's underlings has some sort of loving lalafelin (death) fetish

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
death to potatoes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

{Kill order:} {Lalafell} {Purify} {Eorzea}

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I do not understand why anyone likes maker's mark. Compared to the "Name of X" line it seems really inferior. With my gear, my rotation, and my food choice the name of+brand of combo will 1-shot 40/35 dura synths without ingenuity 2 which let's me get an extra hasty in. on 70/80 synths it's worth 550~ progress. Maker's mark does not do this. Even if all the maker's mark hits land, I will still have to either careful twice, or ingenuity II+careful which is way more costly from a cp standpoint. Plus, it slows the whole process down by adding 3-5 stupid steps to each gsm synth.

I hate it. Not too big a fan of the cul skill either because it falls flat in the same way, but at least it's only 1 action and 6 cp.

Maker's Mark increases progress and costs zero durability. If you remove even one progress action from your rotation by using it, it's well worth it. Of course, it depends on the item you're working on and the stats you have, but you get one attempt at Flawless Synthesis for every 100 durability the item has plus one, which translates to between 30-40% of a synth on average, which is roughly as much as Muscle Memory, but costs zero durability.

It is the zero durability thing that really sells it for me. If you can manage to get ten durability for 20 CP, that's a steal. But if the combine/stats don't match up, sure, it's not as worth it. And this is aside the other use of using it to fish for more good procs, though I'm not sure how useful that will be at 60+.

Failboattootoot posted:

My experience after level 55 or so is that goods fall off a cliff to the point where getting just the 1 good to refund the cost of maker's is in question.

I think this is a classic case of seeing a pattern where there is none, which is something that happens often. At 60, things could be different, but up until 60, it's just as random as it has always been.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 20, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A TON of people on Reddit have talked about good/excellent showing up far less often. Probably to give advantages to specializations.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Failboattootoot posted:

A CP total of, let's say, 340 gets a ton of use from popping a second Comfort Zone when the first drops.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

A TON of people on Reddit have talked about good/excellent showing up far less often. Probably to give advantages to specializations.

On the level 60 recipes, yes, I've heard this too (haven't observed it but I can see the logic behind it). Up to and through 59, I'm not buying it. Certainly have noticed crafts where I get no goods for 20 steps, but then I get 8 in the next one, so it tends to even out at around what I'd expect.

And in other news, I've seen many posts saying that Onyxia Deep Breaths more in patch 3.01.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's definitely true. For level 60 recipes, I'm lucky if I see even a single good proc.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Maker's Mark increases progress and costs zero durability. If you remove even one progress action from your rotation by using it, it's well worth it.

It doesn't. Or more specifically there have been a couple of niche cases where it does (crafting an aurum regis nugget at level 56 for example). Meanwhile the name+brand combo saves me a step in the vast, vast majority of synths that I do. They aren't even remotely close to parity in either usefulness or not being an annoying pile of crap that adds an extra 10-15 seconds of synth time.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

vOv posted:

I like how basically every time a description mentions something bad happening, it's to lalafells.

there are a lot of fish that are described as being capable of eating adult male roegadyns

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just hit my first level 50.

Is it worth picking up the expansion now so to ensure I'm not wasting experience from the MSQ?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is it worth picking up the expansion now so to ensure I'm not wasting experience from the MSQ?

You don't need expansion to go above 50, only to get new classes races and ishgard areas

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

After going through the ARR Storyquest as a WHM, doing Scholar for a bit is weird.

I don't know if the fairy is doing anything but seeing as how HP bars are staying up despite me no longer constantly putting up regens and Medica IIs (And doing a lot more DPSing) I guess it's doing something.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Stormgale posted:

You don't need expansion to go above 50, only to get new classes races and ishgard areas

Someone in my FC who was in the same situation claimed they didn't get exp post-50 until buying the expansion, but I was never in that situation myself so v:shobon:v

Even if you miss out, it's not really enough exp to get worked up over. It's not even enough to get you to 52. By the time you're 59 that amount of exp won't even be half a level, so it's about one day's worth of LLDR and mark bills. That said, free exp is free exp, so if you're going to buy it anyway you might as well do it as soon as you hit 50.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

seorin posted:

Someone in my FC who was in the same situation claimed they didn't get exp post-50 until buying the expansion, but I was never in that situation myself so v:shobon:v

Even if you miss out, it's not really enough exp to get worked up over. It's not even enough to get you to 52. By the time you're 59 that amount of exp won't even be half a level, so it's about one day's worth of LLDR and mark bills. That said, free exp is free exp, so if you're going to buy it anyway you might as well do it as soon as you hit 50.

This is assuming you just turbo through the story content and nothing else. If you do your daily roulettes while doing your post-50 stuff you can end up a lot higher.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magil Zeal posted:

I think this is a classic case of seeing a pattern where there is none, which is something that happens often.

At 60 the rate of procs are much lower. From 50 to 59 it's the same.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Stormgale posted:

You don't need expansion to go above 50,

This is incorrect.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Why not? It's literally just more free cp if you have enough steps to tick it down.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Algid posted:

Why not? It's literally just more free cp if you have enough steps to tick it down.

Currently no room for it in the rotations I use. In the past, dunno. I tried it a couple of times and it didn't work out favorably but that was ages ago when I was still levelling things 1-50.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failboattootoot posted:

Currently no room for it in the rotations I use. In the past, dunno. I tried it a couple of times and it didn't work out favorably but that was ages ago when I was still levelling things 1-50.

Just keep an eye open for it, especially since Red Scrips will be out soon and probably a lot of new, harder recipes. In the past there were situations where you could fit 3 CZs for some maximum overdrive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

For those still leveling don't forget about leves. The level 58 large scale battlecraft ones drop about 200k experience when you do it with +1 level of difficulty. I went from 59-60 yesterday with a LLDR, HLDR, trial roulette, daily hunts, and 3 leves.

Plus you get a shitton of gold and plenty of items that sell well on the marketboard.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Temple leves are incredibly inefficient in terms of leves:exp ratio. If you're planning on leveling crafters you probably don't want to do them.

If you never use your leves though, go wild.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm so close to finally getting into Heavensward but completely hit a brick wall against Nabriales, that guy does not gently caress around at all; wiped six times across two parties last night, dps just don't seem to be able to burn down the aetherial tear at the end quickly enough

It is a really cool fight and probably the first time in the main scenario I've really had to sit up and pay attention

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

For those still leveling don't forget about leves. The level 58 large scale battlecraft ones drop about 200k experience when you do it with +1 level of difficulty. I went from 59-60 yesterday with a LLDR, HLDR, trial roulette, daily hunts, and 3 leves.

Plus you get a shitton of gold and plenty of items that sell well on the marketboard.

I wish I had leves to burn on large scale battlecrafts but I need them all to level my crafters. I understand the concept of the large scale leves but they barely seem worth it, even if you have the full 99 leves.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm so close to finally getting into Heavensward but completely hit a brick wall against Nabriales, that guy does not gently caress around at all; wiped six times across two parties last night, dps just don't seem to be able to burn down the aetherial tear at the end quickly enough

It is a really cool fight and probably the first time in the main scenario I've really had to sit up and pay attention

Need to make sure you yell endlessly at the group to save the LB3 for the tear.

Fun fact that not everybody knows about, you get a huge buff duration increase when you get sucked in. Pop all your cooldowns with 3 seconds left on blight and you can have all those CDs active for the entirety of that phase of the fight. It makes the tank's job a lot easier.

But yeah just ask for a party of goons and you'll one shot it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bonewitch posted:

Temple leves are incredibly inefficient in terms of leves:exp ratio. If you're planning on leveling crafters you probably don't want to do them.

If you never use your leves though, go wild.

Temple leves are awful even if you don't ever use leves, they're not even that much more time efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you have enjoyed the game so far, pick up Heavensward so that you get experience going through the 2.x patch content. Keep in mind that there's a lot of this content, though; if you do everything, it'll probably take you a week or two on a fairly casual play schedule.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Nabriales is absolutely the most difficult of the story trials. If you're on Excalibur, feel free to ask for goon help and mention that you're trying to clear it for story advancement, that should get a few folks to help.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Look: crustaceans are complicated, things happen, and we don't talk about it in polite potato society

• Locked thread