Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Elentor posted:

Temple leves are awful even if you don't ever use leves, they're not even that much more time efficient.

they were when I was leveling drg and just wanted the last million sp at 59 to go away quickly. All it really does is throw more warm bodies at you which DPS should be able to churn through blisteringly quick unless you're not so great at your new rotations yet, I could see it being a waste for healing and tank jobs. if your damage is slow its probably better to just run the easier leves and shoot for the weekly challenges tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm so close to finally getting into Heavensward but completely hit a brick wall against Nabriales, that guy does not gently caress around at all; wiped six times across two parties last night, dps just don't seem to be able to burn down the aetherial tear at the end quickly enough

It is a really cool fight and probably the first time in the main scenario I've really had to sit up and pay attention

This is a killer attitude and if you're on Excalibur and you see ra'd online shoot me a tell and I'll yell a clear group together

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So stupid Alexander Floor 1 question, as I'm working through it late as always - I get how all the mechanics work but one thing has been tripping me up. How do you deal with it when you're killing the adds under the laser and one of the two dps get that multi-hit missile thing? If we try to separate it pulls the mobs out of alignment, if we sit there and just soak it it seems it really stresses the healers. Do we need to do something special? Should one of us get both tethers to let the other one run? Or is it just a matter of gritting our teeth and hoping the healers are paying attention?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is the game stop-and-go for other people? I've read there were issues with Verizon, but I'm on Time Warner and these issues cropped up pretty recently. Called the cable company and they said it was my modem, so we got it replaced and it seemed to smooth out for like a day, but now it's back to how it was before.

Kind of annoying usually, but it gets really lovely when I'm trying to do EX content with my FC and everything hangs for two seconds during something important like a tank swap.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is the game stop-and-go for other people? I've read there were issues with Verizon, but I'm on Time Warner and these issues cropped up pretty recently. Called the cable company and they said it was my modem, so we got it replaced and it seemed to smooth out for like a day, but now it's back to how it was before.

Kind of annoying usually, but it gets really lovely when I'm trying to do EX content with my FC and everything hangs for two seconds during something important like a tank swap.

Yeah, I've had it off and on, and I'm on Time Warner too. we've been having serious power issues in my area that might have been hitting the cable offices, and after fixing that this weekend it seems to have stopped, but who knows. :\

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

So stupid Alexander Floor 1 question, as I'm working through it late as always - I get how all the mechanics work but one thing has been tripping me up. How do you deal with it when you're killing the adds under the laser and one of the two dps get that multi-hit missile thing? If we try to separate it pulls the mobs out of alignment, if we sit there and just soak it it seems it really stresses the healers. Do we need to do something special? Should one of us get both tethers to let the other one run? Or is it just a matter of gritting our teeth and hoping the healers are paying attention?

You only need to have one mob's death circle under the falling missile- while I understand you'd put both under it for safety purposes, you don't strictly have to do so. Adds should also die pretty quickly to a one-on-one vs a dps, and having one person take two tethers is a terrible idea as they'll easily get the mini debuff.

Really the situation you described is pretty confusing because it sounds like it's two melee dps stacking on each other that have one tether each but are unable to focus down adds fast enough to where the multi-missile spitball is actually a threat. Or maybe it's not a threat and you're just trying to be considerate of healers, in which case- the missiles don't hit for poo poo, let the healers do some work.

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 20, 2015

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Eight-Six posted:

You only need to have one mob's death circle under the falling missile- while I understand you'd put both under it for safety purposes, you don't strictly have to do so. Adds should also die pretty quickly to a one-on-one vs a dps, and having one person take two tethers is a terrible idea as they'll easily get the mini debuff.

Really the situation you described is pretty confusing because it sounds like it's two melee dps stacking on each other that have one tether each but are unable to focus down adds fast enough to where the multi-missile spitball is actually a threat. Or maybe it's not a threat and you're just trying to be considerate of healers, in which case- the missiles don't hit for poo poo, let the healers do some work.

That makes sense - I think the problem actually is we had like 4 typical Sunday night poo poo DF runs where the other dps were not splitting correctly and I got both tethers just out of frustration and thinking "hey one hits like a baby, two won't be too bad!" I see what you're saying and we'll try it a bit differently next time.

Thanks!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In addition to the previous advice, you could also go with "whoever's mob has more health can run away, so long as it's clear that the other mob will be staying under the laser and it'll die in time". Or if it's people you know, just adopt a buddy system of "hey, if this happens, I'm the one who moves and you're the one who stays".

Assuming you've each got one tethered to you like sensible people. If for some (generally bad) reason they're both tethered to one dps, the non-tethered dps should move.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tarranon posted:

This is a killer attitude and if you're on Excalibur and you see ra'd online shoot me a tell and I'll yell a clear group together

SpaceDrake posted:

Nabriales is absolutely the most difficult of the story trials. If you're on Excalibur, feel free to ask for goon help and mention that you're trying to clear it for story advancement, that should get a few folks to help.

I'll give it another punt tonight so I'll see if I can drum up some Goon Backup then, thanks for the offers!

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yo here's a recruit a friend code S5NZFQ63

I can't wait to get my friendship circlet.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

LegionAreI posted:

Get your SCH to pre-emptively shield the two people who get the prey debuff (unless they're a tank; tanks can survive it easily). Thats enough of a buffer for them to survive the aoes+missiles and you can just put out a medica 2/indom+emerg succor/regen helios to let people heal up cause theres probably 15s till the next aoe.

Taking 2 adds isn't a huge problem as long as DPS are actually hitting them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Moldy Taxes posted:

It was poo poo for me and a few friends in town last night. I got WTFast because it was really horrible and that worked fine to get me going.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Haven't been online since about March, just got busy with life and stuff. When they released the expansion did they add the level 50 content to the roulettes?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Haven't been online since about March, just got busy with life and stuff. When they released the expansion did they add the level 50 content to the roulettes?

What level 50 content? There is a lot of level 50 content in the various roulettes.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Alright, hit 60, lets talk hunts to someone whos new, and to extent "Daily & weekly stuff to do in FFXIV.", I'm having a hard time with it and want to lay down what i understand so far:

Daily roulettes, do them.

Two hunt boards, one in the GC of choice (so Ul'dah in my case), one in Foundation. The one in GC town is only good for its weekly, were as the foundation one is good for both. These will reward you Centurio Seals, which you want, as its needed for stuff at 60. E: Is the old elite mark from GC soloable as a dragoon with a healbird?

There are also monsters that come in three ranks, B, A, and S, that also reset daily (?) and need to be killed for reasons. Why?

I know there used to be the beast tribe dailies too, but they seem to be out of date.

Alexander's a weekly thing, but needs ilevel 170 first.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2015

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

What level 50 content? There is a lot of level 50 content in the various roulettes.

Well when I quit some of the newer trials and raids were not part of any roulettes because it was still considered progression, I can't remember the names of any of it off the top of my head but I know there were some trials and the coils that had just been added.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Well when I quit some of the newer trials and raids were not part of any roulettes because it was still considered progression, I can't remember the names of any of it off the top of my head but I know there were some trials and the coils that had just been added.

Extreme Primals and instances that are considered "raids" (such as the Binding Coil of Bahamut and Crystal Tower) are not included in any roulette. They are also unnecessary for progression to the current endgame.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Raids don't get put in roulettes, trial has its own roulette. Low Level Duty Roulette has sub-50 ARR dungeons and Heavensward story dungeons, after you beat them. High Level Duty Roulete has all the ARR dungeons added after release. Expert Duty Roulette has the two Post-Heavensward mainquest dungeons.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

There are also monsters that come in three ranks, B, A, and S, that also reset daily (?) and need to be killed for reasons. Why?

b ranks are only for the weekly quest and give nothing if killed without it. a and s ranks give centurio seals on kill based on participation, similar to a fate. it's why you want in a party for the shared contribution,.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

They didn't add any of the coil turns or LotA/ST/WoD to roulettes, if that's what you're asking.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

So I just got into Alexander for the first time and holy moly that boss music :stare:

ya the music is good in there (all the music in this game is good hail soken).

i PFd A1-4 last night for the first time after reading a guide and cleared it first time each time. why were people saying this was hard?

also

Kitfox88 posted:

Carry a full load of vit and str accessories at all times and swap as needed before each engagement hth fucker scrubs :^)

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Kuvo posted:

i PFd A1-4 last night for the first time after reading a guide and cleared it first time each time. why were people saying this was hard?

Because you got a party finder group that wasn't full of idiots. Try to solo DF it a few times and see if it's "easy."

I've managed to clear them all, but A1 took several tries with the duty finder. A4 took a goon group and we still wiped a few times. I haven't had a successful DF group since and I've just given up on getting the gear from it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I have heard various unsubstantiated rumors that the Primal Ponies will be getting flight capabilities. Is there any source to this? Google got me a reddit page but that's it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I have heard various unsubstantiated rumors that the Primal Ponies will be getting flight capabilities. Is there any source to this? Google got me a reddit page but that's it.

Kirin was on the list of "stuff that will fly at some point", but I don't recall the other horses being on there.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

siggy2021 posted:

Because you got a party finder group that wasn't full of idiots. Try to solo DF it a few times and see if it's "easy."

I've managed to clear them all, but A1 took several tries with the duty finder. A4 took a goon group and we still wiped a few times. I haven't had a successful DF group since and I've just given up on getting the gear from it.

All my DF runs through A4 have been oneshots, you must have gotten really unlucky.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

siggy2021 posted:

I got SUPER lucky and only wiped once on A1 on my first DF attempt. One-shot A2 on my first try (it's easy, though).

A3 we hit the enrage. D:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So has there been any more info on esoterics? They are coming right? Or are we assuming like we are assuming esoteric gear will be the new af.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thyrork posted:

Alright, hit 60, lets talk hunts to someone whos new, and to extent "Daily & weekly stuff to do in FFXIV.", I'm having a hard time with it and want to lay down what i understand so far:

Two hunt boards, one in the GC of choice (so Ul'dah in my case), one in Foundation. The one in GC town is only good for its weekly, were as the foundation one is good for both. These will reward you Centurio Seals, which you want, as its needed for stuff at 60. E: Is the old elite mark from GC soloable as a dragoon with a healbird?

I know there used to be the beast tribe dailies too, but they seem to be out of date.

Don't even worry about your Grand Company hunts. They only give allied seals. The old elite mark is a level 50 B rank. Easily doable with just you and bird. When you get to 50, the level 60 weekly B ranks are also soloable.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Kuvo posted:

ya the music is good in there (all the music in this game is good hail soken).

It's very possible you got lucky with your groups. For example, my static was short a guy last night because he doesn't understand how computers work, so we were 7 mostly competent people looking for a warm body. We just DFed it, but PFing would've had a similar result for whoever joined.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thyrork posted:

If you're a crafter / gatherer, daily turn ins are easy experience points and GC seals for your classes especially HQ turn ins. The beast tribe stuff seems to be useless except for the sweet mounts (none of which can fly, yet...). The Ixali crafting ones are okay for giving experience to crafting classes.

My general thought is do LLDR and MSDR for classes that need experience and do TDR, HLDR and EXDR for law tomes. Then my daily hunts using a site that builds hunt maps.

DGKK is pretty good at announcing when there's an available hunt and forming parties to share responsibility. B-S rank hunts give you a decent amount of seals.

If you all of these, it's probably in the neighborhood of 3-4 hours a day, so prioritize :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

UpfrontSalmon posted:

I got SUPER lucky and only wiped once on A1 on my first DF attempt. One-shot A2 on my first try (it's easy, though).

A3 we hit the enrage. D:

A3 has an enrage? That's not to say I've never seen wipes on it, but generally they're flat-out wipes rather than slowly dragging the fight out to an enrage timer without entirely wiping.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
One thing thats important to remember in any game where you're matched up with random players for a team is that you can't really influence the individual skill levels of the other players. The only thing you can influence is the average skill level of the group by getting better yourself.

If your groups are consistently failing, it's worth analyzing your own role in the failure. Even if it wasn't your fault, you should look at your reaction/response to the failures of others and question if you could have saved the run by doing x instead of y. Ultimately the only way you (and by extension, your groups) are going to get better is by analyzing your mistakes.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
Alexander groups also tend to get progressively shittier as the week goes on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bonewitch posted:

The only thing you can influence is the average skill level of the group by getting better yourself.

Have you ever looked at your gear score when you change one piece of gear?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Waldean posted:

Alexander groups also tend to get progressively shittier as the week goes on.

This is probably the case, I did all mine mid-week and in DF (except for some final A1 runs with other TPTs) and the competence of my party was pretty hit or miss, I'd get one that would plow through A4 then the next would abandon after 3 wipes. It'd make sense that later in the week there will be on average more people who have trouble clearing because they're a drain on the party because the people who can clear already have and are no longer queued for it so bads are getting carried less and matched with each other more so they in turn don't clear it and queue more.

By Monday if you're not a bad yourself you're probably better off using PF to look for people who also waited for the last minute but maybe also not bad. Maybe.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

bonewitch posted:

All my DF runs through A4 have been oneshots, you must have gotten really unlucky.

Yeah I had a wipe on A1 because someone pulled before explaining the mechanics, but everything else was one shot in DF.

I was expecting something more like trying to do WoD on a Monday after all the horror stories in this thread, but everything went really smoothly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vil posted:

A3 has an enrage? That's not to say I've never seen wipes on it, but generally they're flat-out wipes rather than slowly dragging the fight out to an enrage timer without entirely wiping.

A3 has a soft enrage, as far as I know: Liquid will begin to cast Cascade at a shorter and shorter interval until it eventually becomes impossible for healers to outpace the damage he deals.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Tenzarin posted:

Have you ever looked at your gear score when you change one piece of gear?

What exactly is your point? Because if its "no one player can make that big of a difference", you're 100% wrong.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
After getting introduced to ACT and improving my DPS from poo poo to okay, I see that it also does functions like notifications for boss timers and abilities like Windower and DBM from WoW. Problem is all the information and configuration I can dig up is in moon language and there isn't a premade boss trigger config yet in english that I would have to figure all this out myself... unless someone else has!

https://github.com/anoyetta/act_timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
Diabolos nerds - If you're a minion collecting nerd nugget and don't have the wedding one, well, my girlfriend and I are going to be all cute and poo poo and getting married in game this Sunday.

You get three bonuses: A cheesy as hell marriage scene, me being enslaved in game, and a minion. Message Dankest Memeing on Diabolos for an invite.

• Locked thread