Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Network Pesci posted:

Blackwing has the most enormous balls to be napping on a loving tiger like that. I don't care if it's an intelligent talking tiger that's Lawful Good, I wouldn't nap on a fuckin' tiger.

There must be a Calvin and Hobbes strip directly on point here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

This one comes to mind...

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Look what happened to Tommy Chesnutt.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Network Pesci posted:

Blackwing has the most enormous balls to be napping on a loving tiger like that. I don't care if it's an intelligent talking tiger that's Lawful Good, I wouldn't nap on a fuckin' tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znpnf9D2VIk

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rich status - ok
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0994.html
I liked the nice detail of Durkon lying once he's actually out of the zone of truth

mmkay fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 20, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:ohdear:

I enjoy that Roy keeps making his Knowledge (Architecture) checks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Resurrecting Durkon would probably be against the rules for any of the priests here, come to think of it, given his status as an official attendee as High Priest of Hel.

Not that it's ever going to get that far.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I enjoy that Roy keeps making his Knowledge (Architecture) checks.

Hah, I was thinking the same thing. Who says a fighter can't have hobbies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I wonder if this is belkar's 'last breath ever' moment.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
If he becomes a vampire, would that even change his alignment?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Alchenar posted:

Doubtful. I don't think we're even halfway through the current book yet, and that seems like something you'd save until around the climax.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Alchenar posted:

I don't think it is, although my reasons are stupid.

Belkar hasn't gotten his face on a book cover. Each of the other main characters have had their face on a book, and they've featured heavily, had a story arc inside that book. Even though Belkar's been fated to die for a while, the previous book had Scruffy and Blackwing on the cover. We've seen a bit of Belkar's growth, but we're still really early on in this book, and I can't just see Belkar dying 50 strips into "his" book.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Unless the current book ends up having his zombified mug on the cover. (There's no title or cover yet, is there?)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think it is, although my reasons are stupid.

Belkar hasn't gotten his face on a book cover. Each of the other main characters have had their face on a book, and they've featured heavily, had a story arc inside that book. Even though Belkar's been fated to die for a while, the previous book had Scruffy and Blackwing on the cover. We've seen a bit of Belkar's growth, but we're still really early on in this book, and I can't just see Belkar dying 50 strips into "his" book.

He's not fated to die, just to stop breathing. None of the prophecies have been straight.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Of course, a neutral third party wouldn't care that he was a Cleric of Hel.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Alchenar posted:

He's not fated to die, just to stop breathing. None of the prophecies have been straight.
What creatures in D&D outside of undeads don't breathe? Shardmind, warforged, some kind of free willed golem?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Rich is just milking the fact that Belkar's prophecy is in play to add extra tension to a scene.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

That's not quite true. Belkar's question to the oracle was honestly and straightly answered, despite the Oracle attempting to get a weasel answer. He did in fact kill one of the people on his list, directly. It's also implied that the Black Dragon got a straight answer to "Who killed my child?"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Alchenar posted:

I think that they already used up the best "Belkar becomes undead twist " chance with Durkon, and pulling it again a second time wouldn't be as impactful as hoped. Also, if none of the prophecies have been straight before, then wouldn't it be a twist if this time it was played straight?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's not quite true. Belkar's question to the oracle was honestly and straightly answered, despite the Oracle attempting to get a weasel answer. He did in fact kill one of the people on his list, directly. It's also implied that the Black Dragon got a straight answer to "Who killed my child?"

Yeah, the prophecies have been surprisingly straightforward. I don't get why everyone tries to say otherwise.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Loki_XLII posted:

Yeah, the prophecies have been surprisingly straightforward. I don't get why everyone tries to say otherwise.

Mostly because the Oracle is a jerk who says things like "in his throne room" or gives answers that are entirely true but pretty much meaningless except in retrospect like Haley's answer or V's answer. When every other answer is basically wasting your time it's hard not to be suspicious of one that directly answers an important question in a straightforward manner with conspicuously exact wording.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I'm honestly expecting it to go badly for Belkar in strip #1000. That strip has got to do something big.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
The only issue with this that I see is that the rest of the party don't seem to care about Belkar's knowledge of Durkula anyway. Belkar has relatively hard evidence (can you remember being Dominated?) that he's not the same old Durkon, but even if Durkula straight up admit's he worships Hel and that he plans on annihilating the Dwarven Kingdom, what's to say Roy and the others believe him?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Loki_XLII posted:

People like making complicated things out of what is supposed to be pretty simple.

See everything in D&D.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

mcswizzle posted:

The only issue with this that I see is that the rest of the party don't seem to care about Belkar's knowledge of Durkula anyway. Belkar has relatively hard evidence (can you remember being Dominated?) that he's not the same old Durkon, but even if Durkula straight up admit's he worships Hel and that he plans on annihilating the Dwarven Kingdom, what's to say Roy and the others believe him?

Well I don't think they think he's the straight old Durkon. One of the first things he did was admit he's evil now. Roy just thinks that if they're keeping Belkar around then keeping magically evilized Durkon can't be any worse.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure Rich is just milking the fact that Belkar's prophecy is in play to add extra tension to a scene. the entire comic since that point.

Seriously, we can't go a single page of Belkar doing anything even vaguely risky without going 'oooh, maybe now he's gonna die!'

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well yeah, but the Oracle gets his mojo directly from Tiamat. His whole purpose is to act as a guide to evil dragons. He can't mess with them or else he'd risk losing his power. It's everyone else he bilks for cash and screws around with for his own amusement.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mostly because the Oracle is a jerk who says things like "in his throne room" or gives answers that are entirely true but pretty much meaningless except in retrospect like Haley's answer or V's answer. When every other answer is basically wasting your time it's hard not to be suspicious of one that directly answers an important question in a straightforward manner with conspicuously exact wording.

The answer to Haley's question is, if anything, more proof that he means "Belkar will die." There wasn't a literal "gift horse" to look in the mouth, so it's extremely unlikely that the oracle doesn't mean Belkar will assume some other state of being where he can't breathe, enjoy cake or put money in a 40k.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Carrasco posted:

or put money in a 40k.

Wrong nerd hobby with brokenly absurd rules.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Baron von der Loon posted:

I'm honestly expecting it to go badly for Belkar in strip #1000. That strip has got to do something big.

Not necessarily; there's been more than one occasion where Rich hasn't done anything special for an X00 strip (and two of those times he actually made the same joke about "I bet people were expecting something more exciting for strip X00").

mcswizzle posted:

(can you remember being Dominated?)

Being Dominated has no effect on your memory of events that occurred around you while you were under the Dominator's control.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

there's been more than one occasion where Rich hasn't done anything special for an X00 strip
About as many where he hasn't as where he has, if not in fact more. And the ones where he has were pretty much all towards the start of the comic.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Olanphonia posted:

If he becomes a vampire, would that even change his alignment?

Yeah, I was wondering on the "official" ruling on this. If he's already Chaotic Evil would he even change personality at all?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still calling time travel. Belkar will take a lot of breaths in the years to come, but his very last one will happen when he travels back to save his younger self from Durkula. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I figure that giving the obvious out for Belkar is a double-switch and he's just going to out and out die.

It's also likely that this is going to be it just because there's no way that this segment of the story ends without the status quo being bludgeoned to death and then shoved into a wood chipper.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Godsmoot is going to be playing Pictionary, Belkar will have to draw the concept of breathing.

After that moment Belkar will never have to do such a thing again, so he drew his last breath.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If that was it I don't even think I could be mad at Rich.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nimby posted:

The Godsmoot is going to be playing Pictionary, Belkar will have to draw the concept of breathing.

After that moment Belkar will never have to do such a thing again, so he drew his last breath.

Guess this is my head canon.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Kajeesus posted:

I'm still calling time travel. Belkar will take a lot of breaths in the years to come, but his very last one will happen when he travels back to save his younger self from Durkula. :colbert:

Belkar is accidentally going to take over the vampire's place and get Durkon as his body for hilarious misadventures.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nimby posted:

And he decided that he hates cake so he never gets another birthday cake. It all works out perfectly!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Random Stranger posted:

And he decided that he hates cake so he never gets another birthday cake. It all works out perfectly!

How many people do you think like Belkar enough to give him cake anyway? You can't bake a birthday cake for yourself, it doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

FriggenJ posted:

Yeah, I was wondering on the "official" ruling on this. If he's already Chaotic Evil would he even change personality at all?

Is the spirit inside of Durkon's body a special case vampire, or do all vampires get another spirit embedded?