Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

Like I bet Batman has three or four contingency plans to take himself out, should the need arise.

Didn't one take on the "plans to be everyone" angle end with him confronted with this question, and he says something like, "I do. It's called the Justice League"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't one take on the "plans to be everyone" angle end with him confronted with this question, and he says something like, "I do. It's called the Justice League"?

That was one of the animated movies, I believe. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I distinctly remember that scene at the end of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As far as I'm concerned, the only person outside of Morrison who actually wrote a decent Prometheus is Gail Simone during the One Year Later era of Birds of Prey. He was a badass and nigh-impossible to beat, but not to an eye-rolling degree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That was one of the animated movies, I believe. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I distinctly remember that scene at the end of it.

Justice League: Doom, which was (very) loosely based on Tower of Babel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fatherboxx posted:

*cue Lurdiak whining about powerlevels, i guess*

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Prometheus when he became defanged was revealed later on to be his version of Robin who left him in jail after the whole Stephen Hawking thing.

He killed said apprentice for that after chewing him out for becoming a two bit loser.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fatherboxx posted:

*cue Lurdiak whining about powerlevels, i guess*

Batman could NEVER defeat Firefly in a fair fight.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

Batman could NEVER defeat Firefly anyone in a fair fight.

Fixed, because here's Batman's dirty little secret: He doesn't fight fair. Sure, he knows between 6 and 100 different fighting styles, both armed and unarmed, but by and large, he's fighting nameless henchmen. Who maybe know how to throw and take the occasional punch. It's like playing an RPG and grinding until you're level 99, but instead of going to the final boss (who's a chump at this point) you decide to stick around the starting area, staring rats to death.

Then, for anyone who's out of his league, where he realistically has no chance to win, he cheats. He has a game genie plugged into the back of his head where he can just punch in some 16 character code and negate whatever advantage the person would have.

You have a suit of power armor? Have a miniaturized EMP that disables it so you can't move. You're an alien who is super strong, super fast, and resilient to almost any form or weaponry except an (formerly) incredibly rare space rock? I'm rich, bitch. I carry around a piece of his exploded home planet just so I can emotionally torment him before I punch him. Same issue as the last guy, but can also shape-shift and become intangible? Good thing he's scared of the cave man tech of fire.

This is why Batman needs to fight nebulous, abstract concepts like"crime" and "corruption" and "bi-polar disorder" and "crippling depression" because these are the only things that challenge him anymore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Talking about Batman "cheating" is so :tipshat::spergin:
I hardly think taking more of a person into account than whether they can be punched to submission is 'cheating'. He just uses more than 10% of his fight-brain.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Batman's real power is he understands how bullshit the physics and superpowers in his universe are and he can take advantage of them.

He's some kinda tactical lawyer

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

it's Cosmic level OCD.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
This is the badass thread so we should be showing badass things. Here are the most badass things involving Prometheus.

Catwoman whipping him in the dick.

....and him gaining the physical fighting powers of Stephen Hawking

(yes I know this was all mentioned before).

Moral of the story: Prometheus was a chump.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Can people post badass panels in the badass panel thread? Talk about Batman sure, but it's a panel thread, maybe post panels of him doing badass stuff

Hunger #1. Following the shattering of the time stream, multiverse or something in Age of Ultron, Galactus has torn open a hole into the Ultimate universe. The Ultimate universe has the kree-created Gah Lak Tus swarm. The comic is pretty bad, but this moment is fairly metal* and appeals to the Transformer fan in me.

*OK, it's not Thor, God of Thunder metal, but what is?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

One last word on Prometheus: he only was a threat because he was an unknown quantity; he killed and replaced the winner of a contest where the prize was a visit to the JLA satellite; they just thought he was an overenthusiastic cosplayer. Once nobody was looking, he proceeded to own everyone because he was taking them down Batman style with meticulously pre-planned tactics, even Batman himself.

But you can only fool Batman once; once he knew about Prometheus's existence he set up countermeasures against him that resulted in the panels MadKal posted. Unfortunately he probably didn't know about the "Cosmic Key" that he used to make good his escape (the KLIK sound in the last panel.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It bugs me how much Prometheus looks like the Cyril version of The Knight. (Both by Morrison)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CzarChasm posted:

Fixed, because here's Batman's dirty little secret: He doesn't fight fair. Sure, he knows between 6 and 100 different fighting styles, both armed and unarmed, but by and large, he's fighting nameless henchmen. Who maybe know how to throw and take the occasional punch. It's like playing an RPG and grinding until you're level 99, but instead of going to the final boss (who's a chump at this point) you decide to stick around the starting area, staring rats to death.

It's a little bit off the topic, but this doesn't really illustrate that Batman is a terrible character, it shows that RPGs are a terrible game genre.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Prometheus' only real "badass" moments came after Morrison was done with him, and even then they were only badass in the "I want this character to be a badass so he just wins because everyone else is suddenly dumb" way. He really is how every lovely fanboy writes Batman.

(source is Cry For Justice, don't know the issue)

The only reason Prometheus wins there is because the good guys are just doing another Justice League Single-File Dogpile, which was stupid as poo poo when it happened in Identity Crisis. Hell, it's even the same way Zatanna was taken out by Deathstroke (side note: why is she taking point?).

Also:

Arm rip! Everybody drink! :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Madkal posted:

Catwoman whipping him in the dick.

:ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seems like he should have a better Black Canary plan.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Aphrodite posted:

Seems like he should have a better Black Canary plan.

Ear plugs and a cup?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wasn't sure whether this worked better here or the touching panels thread. It's a side-story from One Punch Man volume 7.

As many of you know, Saitama is an overpowered superhero who can take out any opponent in one punch. He's a really casual guy and the only reason he isn't a big deal or well known is because he has to be part of the Hero Association. Because of their bureaucratic bullshit, Saitama is thrown into the C-rank and has only just worked his way into the bottom of the B-rank.

In this story, he's taken in for questioning by some police because there's a killer described as having a round, bald head out there and Saitama's seen wandering around with some blood on him. He explains to the chief that it's monster blood and that he's a hero. On one hand, the chief offers him some food and doesn't really interrogate him. On the other hand, he goes off about how much he hates the Hero Association because it makes the police look like chumps. They do good too, but they don't ask for the attention. Then he pours his heart out to Saitama over a cop who was murdered by said killer.

"One of my subordinates... was a really great guy. He was a little overeager... but for only being in his second year, he was an excellent officer. Last week, he was attacked. His bones were broken from head to toe. He described the culprit over the radio until he lost consciousness. His last words were, 'Be careful, Officer Kuma.' That's me. To the end, he worried about others. How could this happen to such a fine man? He joined the police after failing the hero exam. You're one of the heroes he admired so much?"

The killer turns out to be a criminal who became a monster and he starts tearing apart the police department. Bullets bounce off him and there's nothing they can do. Officer Kuma, having no choice, calls up the head of the Hero Association. That guy relishes in Kuma crawling to him for help and proceeds to have his fun.

In the next couple pages, we see that the head of the Hero Association sent a bunch of A-rank heroes and also made sure to alert the media. He wants everyone to see them save the police.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
This is echoed in pretty much every thread but One Punch Man is great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

This is echoed in pretty much every thread but One Punch Man is great.

Don't forget: English dead tree version is on the way! :dance:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

a kitten posted:

Don't forget: English dead tree version is on the way! :dance:

Eventually! I've already imported some of the early volumes though and I'm afraid the Viz version isn't going to to it justice. Murata does cool stuff with the dust jacket on them.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Few pages back here, but:

Uthor posted:

(timg for mild spoilers)

She seems to have things well in hand. What about Clint?

Hawkeye 22
Ugh, I really need to check out this Hawkeye series. Every time it gets posted it looks brilliant.

As someone who's always liked shiny colouring, the low detail art is not my typical thing and yet somehow every panel of this looks so perfect.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Really not sure if this belongs in the Funny or Badass thread, but I love Ultimate Power for being so ridiculous.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought Ultimate Power was about a crossover with Supreme Power? That doesn't look or sound like those versions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Both the Supreme Power and original Squadron Supreme are in it. I forgive you for not knowing that though because reading bad comics is something people should avoid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

tragedyjones posted:

Really not sure if this belongs in the Funny or Badass thread

Trick question. Neither because it's terrible from nearly every angle including ironic enjoyment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Trick question. Neither because it's terrible from nearly every angle including ironic enjoyment.

I don't think it's badass, but Ultimate Wolverine referring to Not Superman as "one of those people" is kinda funny at least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm absolutely the kind of person that would respond to that question with that answer and I think Wolverine's response and not being fazed by the heat vision is pretty cool.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it's badass, but Ultimate Wolverine referring to Not Superman as "one of those people" is kinda funny at least.

Yeah, no matter the quality of the actual comic, that's a good line.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wolverine needs a fedora to tip.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

M'ystique

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

...the casings are magic. The one part of the bullet that never makes contact with the target.

Prometheus, Tactical Genius*

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Prometheus' only real "badass" moments came after Morrison was done with him, and even then they were only badass in the "I want this character to be a badass so he just wins because everyone else is suddenly dumb" way. He really is how every lovely fanboy writes Batman.

"A supervillain is attacking! Form a clump!"

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It bugs me that Prometheus clearly mentions magical shenanigans before shooting Supergirl (who knows she is vulnerable to that stuff) and she's meant to be faster than a speeding bullet. And also when it was retconned that a Doombotsidekick was responsible for most of his chumpings.

Anyway, let's have some Secret Wars #4. This is a very stereotypical representation of the characters - Iron Man's a bit of a lounge lizard and Reed Richards is an rear end in a top hat. The most interesting thing is how utterly terrifyingly powerful the Molecule Man is - he does the following almost in an off-hand way. I've not come across him too often in my travels, I guess partly because he's so drat strong.

I love Secret Wars, it moves so quickly.

*some time later*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Milotic posted:

Anyway, let's have some Secret Wars #4. This is a very stereotypical representation of the characters - Iron Man's a bit of a lounge lizard and Reed Richards is an rear end in a top hat. The most interesting thing is how utterly terrifyingly powerful the Molecule Man is - he does the following almost in an off-hand way. I've not come across him too often in my travels, I guess partly because he's so drat strong.

That's not Tony Stark being a lounge lizard, that's Jim Rhodes getting horny for a black woman.

And Reed is being an rear end in a top hat because he needs the Hulk to be as strong as possible. This is Banner Hulk, who realizes this and mentions it to Reed later on.

And Molecule Man had a pretty nice character arc through Secret Wars.

Milotic posted:

I love Secret Wars, it moves so quickly.

Same.

Here's a cool Secret Wars cover:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

prefect posted:

Here's a cool Secret Wars cover:

That's amazing and badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's amazing and badass.

That is the only issue of Secret Wars I have. Even out of context that issue is great.