Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I only ever go there for camping/wineries in the summer or Big White in the winter....so yeah actually I believe you

I mean, I suppose it depends on how you feel about beaches, drug addicts, STDs and a very high homeless population. Oh and living in the safe seat they parachuted Christy Clark into after she lost her seat in the last election.

Worst of all, no Apple store. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sounds like Portland without an Apple store?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Our contact confirmed the employee rate being pulled by Rogers.

However he can get us 20% off Share Everything plans so since we're in Quebec it actually only ends up being $12 a month more to keep 6gb, or keep the same rate but drop to 1gb. That's not too bad, in Ontario it would be a $4 increase just to drop to 1gb and a $45 increase to go back to 6gb.

Of course they lose the ~250 long distance minutes that come with our current plan, but they gain access to Roam Like Home which is an okay trade-off.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 3, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Aphrodite posted:

That's not too bad, in Ontario it would be a $4 increase just to drop to 1gb and a $45 increase to go back to 6gb.

Man, and I was upset that my favourite Koodo plan went up $2/month, and that I missed out on the bestbuy gift card sale.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 3, 2015

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
My father and his wife are traveling up to Canada for a few days and he is concerned about having a cell phone while up there. He currently has a Tracfone which apparently won't work in Canada at all, so he's looking to get a cheap prepaid phone for his time up there. What would you guys suggest? He's only gonna be up there for a few days.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
7-11: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, I didn't realize how badly Canada gets shafted until I went elsewhere and bought 15gb of mobile data for $15.

And it comes with the sickly knowledge that it's never, ever, going to get that good in Canada. Ever.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Will an iPhone 6 locked to Telus work with Koodo without unlocking it?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

iLikeMidgets posted:

Will an iPhone 6 locked to Telus work with Koodo without unlocking it?
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/will-my-telus-iphone-6-work-with-koodo-is-it-100-guarantee-that-it-will-work

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Are there any US roaming plans on Rogers that aren't laughably expensive and require a share everything plan (I know the answer but holding out hope for some reason)?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Called Telus Loyalty as a lark, because the device balance on my 3 year plan got wiped last month. I figured they'd make me go on one of their newer plans with barely any data, but I was hoping for a discount at least. But the guy on the phone let me renew my old $70 plan as a 2 year, and I still get a subsidized phone. I'm never letting you go, 6 gigs of data.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

Called Telus Loyalty as a lark, because the device balance on my 3 year plan got wiped last month. I figured they'd make me go on one of their newer plans with barely any data, but I was hoping for a discount at least. But the guy on the phone let me renew my old $70 plan as a 2 year, and I still get a subsidized phone. I'm never letting you go, 6 gigs of data.

I spoke with two different Fido reps and got the same story in the same situation. As long as my current month-to-month plan is above $60/month, it qualifies as a MAX plan and they'll give me the full subsidy on any new phone and renew my contract for two years.

I'm waiting for the next iPhone, so I hope they don't change the rules in the meantime.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

Guess they finally clued in that people are just exploiting the SK/MB plans if they get hosed or forced into the new plans. I wasn't aware they were even subsidizing devices on anything less than $80/mo outside of those two provinces much less issuing old plans through loyalty.

Progress!... Sort of.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah, the rep said he had to go confirm it with his help desk to make sure he could do it. My plan was 1 gig when I signed up, and it came with a 5 gig bonus as an incentive at that time. But it worked. Plus the phone I wanted was on sale, and there's a 5000 Scene point bonus for renewing a plan this month. Never thought I'd be thrilled at being able to "only" pay $71 a month for a cell phone plan.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Godinster posted:

Guess they finally clued in that people are just exploiting the SK/MB plans if they get hosed or forced into the new plans. I wasn't aware they were even subsidizing devices on anything less than $80/mo outside of those two provinces much less issuing old plans through loyalty.

Progress!... Sort of.

Speaking of exploiting the SK/MB plans...

I've asked before in this thread, and also did some research on Howards Forum. The Howards Forum thread is a bit of a nightmare, and from what I can tell is people NOT from SK/MB trying to exploit the plans (no problem with that, IMO).

I'm already in SK, however.

I'm with Telus, and from what I can tell, they're totally going to catch my SK plan when I try to change my number to a BC number. The online tool won't let me select anything out of province and I have to call them. I know the Telus system, I used to work for them. There's no working around it, the system will force a rate plan change when the number change is initiated.

Koodo has an even cheaper plan, and I know they're technically Telus so porting and phone compatibility isn't an issue.

Will the Koodo self-service system allow me to change my number to another province without triggering a rate plan change? Or do I have to go to a kiosk when I'm back in BC and hope the attendant has no scruples?

I suppose I could just keep my SK number, I have unlimited national calling, but it's going to look rather odd when I'm applying for jobs in BC with a Saskatchewan number. Also, my friends aren't as lucky to have national calling, so I don't want them calling long distance to reach me.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Snuffman posted:

I've asked before in this thread, and also did some research on Howards Forum. The Howards Forum thread is a bit of a nightmare, and from what I can tell is people NOT from SK/MB trying to exploit the plans (no problem with that, IMO).

I'm with Telus, and from what I can tell, they're totally going to catch my SK plan when I try to change my number to a BC number. The online tool won't let me select anything out of province and I have to call them. I know the Telus system, I used to work for them. There's no working around it, the system will force a rate plan change when the number change is initiated.

Koodo has an even cheaper plan, and I know they're technically Telus so porting and phone compatibility isn't an issue.

Will the Koodo self-service system allow me to change my number to another province without triggering a rate plan change? Or do I have to go to a kiosk when I'm back in BC and hope the attendant has no scruples?

I suppose I could just keep my SK number, I have unlimited national calling, but it's going to look rather odd when I'm applying for jobs in BC with a Saskatchewan number. Also, my friends aren't as lucky to have national calling, so I don't want them calling long distance to reach me.

I ported in an Ontario number over a Winnipeg one completely online with Koodo without any problems.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

spoof posted:

I ported in an Ontario number over a Winnipeg one completely online with Koodo without any problems.

Same (but BC). They might not let you pick an out of province number to replace the SK/MB one, but they will let you port in a number from elsewhere. If you don't have said number to start with, you can easily set up a PAYG account somewhere, and bring that in.

Peter Radiator
Aug 1, 2004

somebody got hurt
somebody get hurt
What's the best bet for a cheap sim card and prepaid plan on the bell network? Gonna be in Nova Scotia for a week and the area's not covered by Fido/Rogers.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Peter Radiator posted:

What's the best bet for a cheap sim card and prepaid plan on the bell network? Gonna be in Nova Scotia for a week and the area's not covered by Fido/Rogers.

Koodo probably. https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Snuffman posted:

As has been said, on koodo it's not supposed to be a problem. If you did want to keep your number though you could always get a second number through a VoIP provider like VoIP.ms and forward that to your phone. You get lots of features like custom phone trees, ability to ring multiple numbers, etc and I think it costs about $2 per month plus 1 cent per minute or something like $5 per month for unlimited minutes. I think they do SMS forwarding too so people don't need to have alternate numbers to text or call you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

My new employer will pay for my phone up to $100 a month, so I might as well get a terrible Robelus plan with a subsidy since I want a new iPhone when they come out.

What's the least bad way of signing up for one and getting an iPhone in a timely fashion? Any advantage of signing up through Costco?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

My new employer will pay for my phone up to $100 a month, so I might as well get a terrible Robelus plan with a subsidy since I want a new iPhone when they come out.

What's the least bad way of signing up for one and getting an iPhone in a timely fashion? Any advantage of signing up through Costco?

If you sign up literally today only (SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!) TELUS will give you ~$200 off an iPhone 5S. Rogers' network is crap don't bother.

http://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/catalog/?brand=samsung&INTCMP=Tcom_Home_Ban_Galaxy_S6_Gold

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rogers network is not crap at all, it's arguably the best in Vancouver, and the 5S is old as hell.

If you can get on a good corporate plan, do it, Lexicon. They don't seem to get hosed around with as much as the regular folks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

Rogers network is not crap at all, it's arguably the best in Vancouver

Toronto too. Although Telus is good enough.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

Rogers network is not crap at all, it's arguably the best in Vancouver, and the 5S is old as hell.

If you can get on a good corporate plan, do it, Lexicon. They don't seem to get hosed around with as much as the regular folks.

How does one go about getting on a good corporate plan? My company is very small - they don't have any reps to deal with or anything like that.

And yes, a 5S in 2015 isn't going to cut it - that's my current phone. Planning to get a 6S+.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lexicon posted:

And yes, a 5S in 2015 isn't going to cut it - that's my current phone. Planning to get a 6S+.

Will your work subsidize a pair of these to carry it in?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Reverse Centaur posted:

Rogers network is not crap at all, it's arguably the best in Vancouver.

You can argue all you want but Telus has the best network in the west. Rogers may be better in the east but it is dogshit in British Columbia.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

You can argue all you want but Telus has the best network in the west. Rogers may be better in the east but it is dogshit in British Columbia.

Rogers is far better than Telus in metro Vancouver, I don't even get a telus signal at work in Richmond.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Will your work subsidize a pair of these to carry it in?

I'll have to check the policy but that seems like a highly defensible business expenditure.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

I may be an exception, but I'm in an area of Vancouver Island where the Rogers signal has always been stronger than Telus. Hell, on a camping trip to buttfuck nowhere, my chinese piece of poo poo Z432 had service on the highway for much longer than my girlfriend's S4 on Koodo.

That being said, I'm switching to Koodo because they're way cheaper for my needs.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitr0 posted:

The only time I ever can't get a perfect signal is when I'm 2+ storeys underground in concrete. I get 50Mbps data everywhere in town. I've never, ever had a complaint (besides price).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I guess when I say west I mean more of BC in general. If you people ever left your little hovel of Vancouver to discover the rest of the province you would know what I mean :classiclol:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ew, why would I do that

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Using Rogers in BC outside of Vancouver is torture

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Godinster posted:

Using Rogers in BC outside of Vancouver is torture
I guess the Sunshine Coast is as far as you'd want to go, then. Still costs too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

I guess when I say west I mean more of BC in general. If you people ever left your little hovel of Vancouver to discover the rest of the province you would know what I mean :classiclol:

There is no civilization outside Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

you're not far off

i drove from Vancouver to Toronto when i was on Rogers and i had no signal or barely any signal most of the way. only when coming through cities. everywhere else? forget about it. it was just a complete dead zone.

I remember speaking to a friend in Alberta, he was a reverse-engineer friend and we were working on breaking this video game, and apparently the situation where he lived in Alberta was so bad, was that he had to ask his neighbour to allow him to put something up on his radio tower (yes his neighbour had a radio tower) so he could get a point to point connection to his workplace in town, where he had a whopping 10mbit symmetric connection.he didn't have any other options. he didn't have coax to his property, he was too far from any DSLAM for DSL, so it was basically satellite or wireless. and he was behind a big hill, so the local wireless provider came out and said they couldn't service him.

It doesn't surprise me that you can't get 40mbit+ LTE in the middle of loving nowhere after that.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 11, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Aphrodite posted:

Ottawa is still a thing that exists.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I heard they use flag poles as weapons there. Doesn't sound very civilized to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That doesn't sound likely, are you sure?