Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

du -hast posted:

just want to say again that my leanvo is gr8, w\ an AMD processor, but also gets super hot, like when i put it on my giant superfat bare stomach u can sell the bacon

so what your really saying is the thing you say is good, is actually bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also was laughing so hard during the whole ppc to Intel switch and all the morons thinking apple would ever use amd chips. like jfc why the hell would they ever do that lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well they were dumb enough to use ppc so anything was possible

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How bad was rosetta anyways?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was good

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

well they were dumb enough to use ppc so anything was possible

power pc was fine for the first couple generations apple's main main focus was desktops even if that wasn't what IBM really wanted to do with it. Then apple needed to focus on laptops and lmbo @ how badly it went.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my g4 powerbook was good

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Rosetta ran fine. On an intel dual core you got similar performance to your old g4.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also speed doubler for the 680x0 to ppc transition

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pram posted:

my g4 powerbook was good

there was never a powerbook g5 because ibm did not care about that market and the g5 powerpc had no SKUs that fit in a laptop

pram
Jun 10, 2001
au contraire

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
onetime on slashdot some design student posted their G5 notebook concept but I can't find it. it was sorta cool though, had a detachable keyboard and kickstand and stuff, looked more like a cross between the desktop g5 and an xscale and the cinema display

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kwinkles posted:

there was never a powerbook g5 because ibm did not care about that market and the g5 powerpc had no SKUs that fit in a laptop

you could have fit a ppc970 "g5" into a laptop, but to get acceptable heat output / power input it would have been downclocked to like 1 GHz. at that point it's hardly any faster than a g4.

the ones they put in desktops were seriously 100W per socket

pram posted:

au contraire

this is pretty much how it would have turned out

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

au contraire

Hell loving yeah

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How bad was rosetta anyways?

rosetta was 3rd party software intended to run legacy unix applications on itanium, licensed at fabulous expense

i have no idea how apple convinced the quicktransit people to sell them the software at a cost that made sense. (maybe that's why rosetta only lasted a couple of releases, it cost too drat much?)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As long as the outer casing is designed to look like a metallic briefcase

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rosetta and the fat binaries were really slick. no one remembers, but the migration from ppc to x86 was pretty much seamless

pram
Jun 10, 2001
compare that to microsofts windows rt arm shitshow

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

rosetta and the fat binaries were really slick. no one remembers, but the migration from ppc to x86 was pretty much seamless

that's because they'd already done this once before

68k => x86/sparc/ppa (yes all three at once)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guy walks in with this handcuffed to his wrist: I'm here to work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tadpole used to make SPARC laptops to run solaris. no i am not kidding. the company nearly went bankrupt, and ended up with an engineer-led buyout. the sperglords who designed the systems bought the company.

the first new product announcement post-engineers was a dual processor, that is, two socket, SPARC laptop. the tadpole bullfrog. i don't think it even had a battery, because it sucked like 300W at the wall.

general dynamics bought them out before the first unit even shipped. defense customers went fuckin nuts for it. i assume all the engineers got rich

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tadpole used to make SPARC laptops to run solaris. no i am not kidding. the company nearly went bankrupt, and ended up with an engineer-led buyout. the sperglords who designed the systems bought the company.

the first new product announcement post-engineers was a dual processor, that is, two socket, SPARC laptop. the tadpole bullfrog. i don't think it even had a battery, because it sucked like 300W at the wall.

general dynamics bought them out before the first unit even shipped. defense customers went fuckin nuts for it. i assume all the engineers got rich

wow goddamn that must have been some shamefully terrible management at tadpole

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wow goddamn that must have been some shamefully terrible management at tadpole
there is a reason this anecdote has ended up in the amd thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
holy poo poo i bet those dual gig ethernet ports were a hot feature when that thing came out

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pram posted:

compare that to microsofts windows rt arm shitshow

reminder that the new surface 3 (not surface pro) is cherry trail atom

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kwinkles posted:

reminder that the new surface 3 (not surface pro) is cherry trail atom

what's cherry trail

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
they're called stems i think

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

also was laughing so hard during the whole ppc to Intel switch and all the morons thinking apple would ever use amd chips. like jfc why the hell would they ever do that lmao
don't they ship some macs with amd (ati) graphics now?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

jony ive aces posted:

timbs fatal mistake

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i believe most macs now ship with intel onboard or amd graphics

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jony ive aces posted:

yeah I meant more CPUs

they've switched between ati and nvidia gpus over the years

also stebe doesn't gently caress around lol http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/23/ati

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if intel's smart about it they'd let whoever bought AMD either just keep the licensing agreement or resell it at a bargain, a la microsoft injecting a few hundred million dollars into apple in the 90s so that they could at least pretend to claim they had competition in the OS market

insert microsoft_didn't_rescue_apple.txt

triple sulk posted:

compared to the by-default frosted glass Vistaland that OS X is

um, you got that backwards. vista & windows 7 were trying to copy OS X in terms of using the GPU to do window compositing etc., until windows 8 when the PC sperglords all wen't "B-B-BUT MY GPU RESOURCES!"

does windows 8/10 even do GPU window compositing anymore, or did they switch back to the CPU for that?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rosetta was 3rd party software intended to run legacy unix applications on itanium, licensed at fabulous expense

i have no idea how apple convinced the quicktransit people to sell them the software at a cost that made sense. (maybe that's why rosetta only lasted a couple of releases, it cost too drat much?)

microsoft bought the company that made rosetta and refused to renew apple's contract, which forced apple to drop it for OS X 10.6, which lead to a ton of morons posting about how APPLE IS loving US AGAIN, etc.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doc Block posted:

um, you got that backwards. vista & windows 7 were trying to copy OS X in terms of using the GPU to do window compositing etc., until windows 8 when the PC sperglords all wen't "B-B-BUT MY GPU RESOURCES!"

does windows 8/10 even do GPU window compositing anymore, or did they switch back to the CPU for that?

microsoft bought the company that made rosetta and refused to renew apple's contract, which forced apple to drop it for OS X 10.6, which lead to a ton of morons posting about how APPLE IS loving US AGAIN, etc.

lol apple got rekt repeatedly

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doc Block posted:

oh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yeah its a text file that says "wah wah im an apple fanboy who doesn't want to admit microsoft owns" only its in mac os roman character set

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah its a text file that says "wah wah im an apple fanboy who doesn't want to admit microsoft owns" only its in mac os roman character set

fishmech rides to battle against the mactards upon bing-rex

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

old build, before they renamed it windows insider, retarded user, retarded resolution probably running in a vm

• Locked thread