Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I love them. You can thin them really far without ever running into problems with grainy or splotchy finish.

Presumably because of such fine pigment size, I have less trouble running them through my airbrush (with thinner) than any other brand including VMA and Minitaire.

Do you thin them when airbrushing or just go straight into the pot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Definitely with thinner (straight airbrush medium). But properly thinned I have fewer issues with them than my actual "airbrush ready" paints, which I don't have a ton of problems with but more than the reaper.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Montana Black on Vallejo Surface Primer

Montana Gold on bare restic

Montana Gold on top of Black on top of Bonesium

Montana Black on Bonesium

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Some Reaper figs. The angel has been primed for about a quarter of my life, finally got around to painting it yesterday. The other three are Bones figures, painted them all today. I 100% recommend Army Painter primer for Bones, I painted some last year with just a base layer of regular paint down and no primer and paint would rub off non-stop while handling them. Army Painter solved that problem.

NWS: Reaper naked succubus

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Why does super glue accelerator smell so good?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It smells like cancer and death.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

signalnoise posted:

Montana Black on Vallejo Surface Primer

Montana Gold on bare restic

Montana Gold on top of Black on top of Bonesium

Montana Black on Bonesium

Is that the texture from it being so thick or is that the texture of the models? If it came out that way stop at a graffiti supply store and pick up some different caps and see what works. Personally I'd suggest a german or NY fat or a skinny/outliner at a distance.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just used stock caps for that. I think the Gold went on a little thick, but the Black went on just as thick and kept the texture. The texture on most of it is from using a Bones model I think. I can keep testing with poo poo, I've got all kinds of caps and spare minis.

Any requests for material and spray type?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Am I having a stroke or are those figures neon green and pink and not black and gold? :psyduck:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Super Waffle posted:

Am I having a stroke or are those figures neon green and pink and not black and gold? :psyduck:

I was curious so I googled it and it seems that Montana is a paint brand with Black and Gold being particular...formulations? covering a range of colors, rather than colors themselves.

I have nothing to help with the OP's quandary, just clarifying ^:shobon:^

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I've got a can of Montana Black as well as a paint marker refill (both Boston green) coming in from good ol' Dick Blick and I was going to see if it'll be a quicker way to basecoat some Salamanders Space Marines. Got any Marines to test on?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Super Waffle posted:

I also have no idea what is happening!

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Whats the consensus on Reaper paints?

I think they're fantastic. I've only used one triad on far but the dark elf skin triad is amazing

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

They're blue and white, might wanna check your eyes :v:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pierzak posted:

They're blue and white, might wanna check your eyes :v:

Hmm... There is only one way to decide. Facebook polls.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

I was curious so I googled it and it seems that Montana is a paint brand with Black and Gold being particular...formulations? covering a range of colors, rather than colors themselves.

I have nothing to help with the OP's quandary, just clarifying ^:shobon:^

Correct. Gold is an acrylic spraypaint that has low pressure and stands out for surface adhesion. You can use it on pretty much any surface you want. It's also CFC free!

Black is not acrylic-based and dries incredibly fast, making it ideal for cold weather spraypainting.

Both are available in something like 200 colors for around 8 bucks a can at dick blick, and take a wide variety of caps. Unfortunately though they do not take well to decanting, so brush-on is a no-go. I've tried several methods and you simply cannot make it work.

Paint markers are also great. The Montana paint marker line takes regular acrylic paint like a champ (great for futzing around on terrain) as well as having a great lineup of stock colors.

Montana Black ink is alcohol-based and incredibly fast drying, but very much like a candy paint. The exception to this is the Strong Black ink, which I use to paint the rims of my bases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've got a can of Montana Black as well as a paint marker refill (both Boston green) coming in from good ol' Dick Blick and I was going to see if it'll be a quicker way to basecoat some Salamanders Space Marines. Got any Marines to test on?

I don't have space marines, but I found some sprues that are Actual Plastic.

Gold

Black

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The black definitely looks like a smoother finish, but personally I probably wouldn't use either.

Also, first time converting nurgle stuff - does anyone have tips or tricks? Currently trying to make the wings that came with the model ragged but its a bit tough with the thick plastic. This is what I have so far.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ijyt posted:

The black definitely looks like a smoother finish, but personally I probably wouldn't use either.

Agreed, it is a very poor substitute for an airbrush. Also if you have an airbrush you can color match. I do use spraypaint for terrain though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

Also, first time converting nurgle stuff - does anyone have tips or tricks? Currently trying to make the wings that came with the model ragged but its a bit tough with the thick plastic. This is what I have so far.

It's looking good so far. If you want to do pustules, I find that taking a plastic hollow rod or really small drinking straw (really, any suitably sized tube) works best for that. Put down a glob of greenstuff, push the tube into it, then twist into a circle and pull off. You'll have a glob right there with minimal effort, and lets you make a bunch of them all at once! Just spread the sides out with a modeling tool a bit for a more natural transition.

Also, this: http://fantasygames.com.pl/blog/nurgle-daemonic-skin/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's loving gross, I love it. Also that straw/tube tip is a great idea, sounds a lot easier than what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It lives!

Also, the camera on my new smartphone is really unforgiving when it comes to details. Or the goddamned varnish starting to crack.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Varnish crackling is a pain, same thing happened to my Joan of Arc. I've started leaving models aside for a day after gloss coating them, in order to let them completely dry.

More Icestorm models finished:

:yosbutt:

The vaguely Pan-O design on Leeloo's boobplate is just to cover up a fairly major brush-slip that I couldn't satisfactorily colour match over. It looks a bit silly in retrospect, but I couldn't pull off the proper logo without it looking really squint.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Stuff I painted this weekend:

I have the absolute worst lighting at home without taking it all outside on a clear day.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

OneTrueBru posted:

More Icestorm models finished:

Please tell me these are larger than 25mm scale so I can feel slightly less jealous.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

This is a good page, full of good poo poo.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 20, 2015

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Cross post from the oath thread

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
So I tried to do some mud effects again

Old attempt:

Moola posted:

So I tried creating a homemade mud mixture instead of buying GW's pot'o mud (:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:)

I mixed pva glue, flour and brown paint

Ended up looking more like a delecious chocolate brownie :chef:

New attempts!:

Also tried a cavalry base for KoW

Much happier with the consistency, and looks less like a chocolate brownie so far

Thoughts, comments, suggestions????

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Seriously, what are those bases made out of?

Smooth off the rim and paint it black, that will frame the base and make it look less weird. I'd also go for a less saturated brown.

You also need to paint the stones. They'll look less like nuts on chocolate.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks delicious again, good job chef

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah, I would agree that the biggest contributor to the chocolate brownie effect is that you're pulling the texture around the entire edge of the base instead of just on top. Clean edges would go a long way. I dunno if loose stones are suitable for a big mud puddle. Some stray grass and twigs and leaves would look a lot more natural instead, I think.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

...Smooth off the rim and paint it black...
This absolutely.

I thought you were kidding. Those bases don't sit flat at all, they are drenched in that stuff.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Seriously, what are those bases made out of?

Smooth off the rim and paint it black, that will frame the base and make it look less weird. I'd also go for a less saturated brown.

You also need to paint the stones. They'll look less like nuts on chocolate.

yeah I think black rim is the solution. These still look tasty as gently caress. Mottle the color a little bit maybe to make it less consistent?

otherwise I really like it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Looks delicious again, good job chef

God drat it!

quote:

smooth dem bases

Yeah I was trying that effect where people let the basing material go over the lip, like on a movement tray, like this

But I really dont like the outcome and will definitely just go to the edges next time

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

yeah I think black rim is the solution. These still look tasty as gently caress. Mottle the color a little bit maybe to make it less consistent?

otherwise I really like it.

I'm probably gonna drybrush a lighter colour to create the effect of the raised mud drying, while the lower mud is still wet from puddles etc

Also some patches of grass etc

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Moola posted:

I'm probably gonna drybrush a lighter colour to create the effect of the raised mud drying, while the lower mud is still wet from puddles etc

Your rocks also look like crushed peanuts which is contributing to the delicious look.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah there are very few basing scenarios where you can get away with just plunking those tan-colored rocks down without painting over them. I know this from experience, having shamefully based my original models in them. I'd honestly recommend going over the whole with with a dark mud color, lightning up the surface areas, touching up each rock and maybe exposing some rock-color toward the top (maybe dark grey?), and then going over the whole thing (minus the tops of the rocks) afterward with some water-effect or gloss varnish.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Moola posted:

that would do it. Im thinking that example works well because its got a bit of variation to it.

flock isnt a static color etc. Might not help that it looks pretty shiny in comparison to the soft/dull flock as well (not really an expert though)

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Another option to break up future bases might be adding the odd puddle.

Cut a small hole through the base, glue a bit of plasticard underneath and smooth the edges with greenstuff, then paint it as normal. Once the base is finished, come back and fill the recess with some appropriately-tinted gloss varnish or water effects goop. It'll add some irregularity to the surface and hopefully make things look a bit less delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

OneTrueBru posted:

Another option to break up future bases might be adding the odd puddle.

Cut a small hole through the base, glue a bit of plasticard underneath and smooth the edges with greenstuff, then paint it as normal. Once the base is finished, come back and fill the recess with some appropriately-tinted gloss varnish or water effects goop. It'll add some irregularity to the surface and hopefully make things look a bit less delicious.

Defeinitely gonna try this on my next base!

Meanwhile I browned the rocks and now it looks like chocolate cake