Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I really hate how old bottles of Vallejo paint didn't have any numbers or names on them, so trying to find a replacement color becomes a total bitch and a half.

Especially when it's a grey color because good lord do they have a ton of grey paints. Ugh.

Edit: maybe someone else with a better eye can help me out here. It's a VMA grey color, but with no name or number on it I can't really figure out which one it is.

It's a kind of dark-ish grey, but not VMA USAF Dark Grey, and you can see it on the edge of the shoulder pad below.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

I really hate how old bottles of Vallejo paint didn't have any numbers or names on them, so trying to find a replacement color becomes a total bitch and a half.

Especially when it's a grey color because good lord do they have a ton of grey paints. Ugh.

Edit: maybe someone else with a better eye can help me out here. It's a VMA grey color, but with no name or number on it I can't really figure out which one it is.

It's a kind of dark-ish grey, but not VMA USAF Dark Grey, and you can see it on the edge of the shoulder pad below.

Looks like either Medium or Dark (more like medium) Sea Grey?

Vallejo Model AIR - MED SEA GREY -71.049

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I received a nice looking metal Dreadlord on Cold One from Ebay. It is primed white but the actual Cold One has what looks like one thin layer of green already painted on. I plan on doing the Cold One in red, would I be OK to just paint red over it or should I re-prime those areas? Or even just dunk and re-prime the whole thing (I'd rather not if I can avoid it).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I received a nice looking metal Dreadlord on Cold One from Ebay. It is primed white but the actual Cold One has what looks like one thin layer of green already painted on. I plan on doing the Cold One in red, would I be OK to just paint red over it or should I re-prime those areas? Or even just dunk and re-prime the whole thing (I'd rather not if I can avoid it).

If the paint isn't lumpy you should be fine just to paint over it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mr.Booger posted:

Looks like either Medium or Dark (more like medium) Sea Grey?

Vallejo Model AIR - MED SEA GREY -71.049

Hm, yeah, that might be a match. I'll probably just order both Dark and Medium just to be on the safe side (plus hey, more grey paint is always welcome). Thanks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

If the paint isn't lumpy you should be fine just to paint over it.

It looks pretty thin, the white shows through a lot. I'll just cover it up then, thanks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

I really hate how old bottles of Vallejo paint didn't have any numbers or names on them
They did. They rub off easily, though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pierzak posted:

They did. They rub off easily, though.

Really? :psyduck:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, super easy. I think I had one set rub off after a single use.

You can see the faintest bit left on the yellow bottle:

Model Color and Game Color use a stronger ink. No idea why.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yep! Reaper's do the same. I pasted clear tape on them to remember which ones are which...only for the print to react with the adhesive and disappear in a matter of minutes :suicide:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Yep! Reaper's do the same. I pasted clear tape on them to remember which ones are which...only for the print to react with the adhesive and disappear in a matter of minutes :suicide:

That I'm well aware of, as that's happened to me several times, but I dunno I always thought Vallejo's labels were of a better quality.

Guess I'm gonna go and marker the whole lot of'em just to be sure.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm going to be painting some Cryx soon (undead faction for Warmachine), and I was thinking I would like a very stark black/grey/white scheme with certain items (eyes, runes, etc) picked out in p3 Murderous Magenta (used in other models as my go-to for necromantic energy).

I've never done Zenithal priming before, but I was thinking of doing Zenithal priming for initial coating, then putting the magenta on and then using a dark wash. Would that work, perhaps?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Crossposting from the other minis thread.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here's my latest project, a Zvezda 120 mm Soviet mortar crew.

The kit comes with a mortar, trailer (the mortar can be assembled collapsed on the trailer or deployed for firing), a gunner, four figures, two mortar rounds (shame it's not more to display in the crate), two crates, and three rifles. There are also two Adrian helmets in the kit along with more modern Soviet ones, but one had a bad cast and the other shattered when I took it off the sprue. Other than that, no problems with the quality, and the detailing is very good, considering this is an older Zvezda kit.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Thoughts on Montana Gold as primer? I've been tempted to shift to them as I have a street art supply nearby but I was wondering what people's opinions was.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Thoughts on Montana Gold as primer? I've been tempted to shift to them as I have a street art supply nearby but I was wondering what people's opinions was.

Too stipply for me

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

A buddy of mine used their gold spray for a Space Marine statue and it came out really good. A couple washes and it was good to go.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

SRM posted:

A buddy of mine used their gold spray for a Space Marine statue and it came out really good. A couple washes and it was good to go.

Montana or Ironlak will do you wonders. Be careful with Ironlak though, it's EXTREMELY thick if you don't shake it well the first time you use it and it's higher pressure than you'd expect. The bond with plastic and metal is phenomenal though and it just flat out doesn't chip no matter how hard you try.

Either way practice on models you don't like.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

If you want I can spray a few minis and take some pictures. I have like 12 cans of Montana Gold and Black just hanging around.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
So I tried creating a homemade mud mixture instead of buying GW's pot'o mud (:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:)

I mixed pva glue, flour and brown paint

Ended up looking more like a delecious chocolate brownie :chef:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
lol even the rocks look like ground up walnuts.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Moola posted:

So I tried creating a homemade mud mixture instead of buying GW's pot'o mud (:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY! :siren:)

Add saw dust if you are trying to make mud.

Generally avoid adding very much water.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

lol even the rocks look like ground up walnuts.

now Im hungry

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Mod...lejo+dark+earth

A bit expensive but it'll last a while

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'd rather half-rear end it for cheap tbh

Gonna try sand, pva and paint next

One day I want to make a massive wargame board that looks like a cake

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I don't even play warhams but I'd paint up a squad of birthday marines for that. Tiny party hats, beakie helmets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Moola posted:

I'd rather half-rear end it for cheap tbh

Gonna try sand, pva and paint next

One day I want to make a massive wargame board that looks like a cake

Fine sand plus PVA will tend to look like gravel or sand rather than mud.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I also try to not use biodegradable items on my miniatures. I wouldn't want my bases to mold.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm trying to emulate Hollismason

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

dexefiend posted:

I also try to not use biodegradable items on my miniatures. I wouldn't want my bases to mold.

What about talcum powder?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ow

dont put your finger in sand you have baked in the oven

loving ow

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Run it under cold water water for 10 minutes.

Your finger that is not the sand.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

ow

dont put your finger in sand you have baked in the oven

loving ow

Yeeeessss....

I want to see an entire army on the slaanesh daemon world of Brow'wnne. Fudgekaake the slaanesh lord of pie filling.
gently caress, you can do one of those christmas gingerbread house villages for terrain.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Run it under cold water water for 10 minutes.

Your finger that is not the sand.

will do!

this hobby is dangerous

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LordAba posted:

Yeeeessss....

I want to see an entire army on the slaanesh daemon world of Brow'wnne. Fudgekaake the slaanesh lord of pie filling.
gently caress, you can do one of those christmas gingerbread house villages for terrain.

I really want to do this

Rivers of hot chocolate sauce running over brownie plains, mountains of fudge!

mmmmmm

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Candy Land 40K

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

40K Calories

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Whats the consensus on Reaper paints?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Partial Octopus posted:

Very good, but tend to reactivate with washes. Give it a few hours to dry before applying a wash.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

I love them. You can thin them really far without ever running into problems with grainy or splotchy finish.

Presumably because of such fine pigment size, I have less trouble running them through my airbrush (with thinner) than any other brand including VMA and Minitaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What kind of spray pattern should I be looking for in a spraypaint tip for base coating?