Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

SevenSocks posted:

The second one I have low hopes for, but I'm pretty sure it was an early 2000's partial FMV exploration horror game, the kind of FMV where pictures or stills of real people are transposed on the world for the characters, or something similar. I only picked up the box, but the front cover was some old dilapidated barn, and on the back there were screens of the area around it and some old west town. I want to say the implication was some plot about limited time travel to certain places, and the whole aesthetic was washed out. Tagline was something along "There's something more beyond the barnyard."

In the event that you are misremembering the hell out of the graphics it sounds a lot like Nocturne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_(video_game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Trying to remember the name of a point & click adventure that had an LP... sometime last year, maybe?
1. It took place on an abandoned space station, or similar setting.
2. The main character was female, and maybe looked like Jade from Beyond Good & Evil?
3. There was a timed sequence where you had to escape from what I think was an electric chair.
4. There was a room with a traffic light you had to pass through multiple times, and was different depending upon what color the light was. I think something creepy happened (and possibly killed you) when the light was red, but I don't remember what that was.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rollersnake posted:

Trying to remember the name of a point & click adventure that had an LP... sometime last year, maybe?
2. The main character was female, and maybe looked like Jade from Beyond Good & Evil?
3. There was a timed sequence where you had to escape from what I think was an electric chair.
4. There was a room with a traffic light you had to pass through multiple times, and was different depending upon what color the light was. I think something creepy happened (and possibly killed you) when the light was red, but I don't remember what that was.

guessing out of my rear end, but The Experiment? (aka EXperience112) it's less point and clicky than it is navigate surveillance system UI-y though.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

White Chamber?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

This was it—thanks.

Man, that LP wasn't even a year ago, and I somehow remembered this game looking waaay different, and a lot better.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off

Caitlin posted:

In the event that you are misremembering the hell out of the graphics it sounds a lot like Nocturne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_(video_game)

That is one of the two games that kept turning up when I searched "Adventure/Horror games from the 90's" with the other being Deadfall or something. It wasn't either, and I'm thinking it was more a mystery or exploration game that just looked creepy, but given that I can't even verify the game exists beyond my half baked memory, I'm going to rule nocturne as it. It looks pretty badass anyways.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I played a shooting game at an arcade once maybe about 10 years ago. I don't know if you could choose which stage to pick or not, but the first stage took place in a shipping dock. A cop/sailor/man in uniform popped out of an oil drum just to say "Don't shoot me" but I did and lost.

That's the only reason I remember the game, because that's when I it occurred to me how unfair arcade games were, charging a dollar and making you lose within 30 seconds. Probably too vague a description, but people in this thread have known games with less.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Virtua Cop

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

This was it—thanks.

Man, that LP wasn't even a year ago, and I somehow remembered this game looking waaay different, and a lot better.

That might be because the in-progress HD remake that was linked at the end of the thread. It looks to have much better art, resembles GitS a fair bit.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

No, it looked like real people I'm pretty sure.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andorra posted:

No, it looked like real people I'm pretty sure.

Probably Target: Terror.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Maximum Force

Childhood trauma timestamped for your pleasure.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

That's it. Thanks!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Trying to remember the name of a strategy game. Would have come out something like 8-10 years ago I think? Definitely older than 6 years.

It took place in roman time and one of the defining features is that you had navel combat by a city and you could use cranes from the city to pick up and destroy boats.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Also known as: That other Area51 game.

Master_Odin posted:

Trying to remember the name of a strategy game. Would have come out something like 8-10 years ago I think? Definitely older than 6 years.

It took place in roman time and one of the defining features is that you had navel combat by a city and you could use cranes from the city to pick up and destroy boats.

Rome: total war 1 maybe?

Cranes in roman times?! :confused:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Cranes are just a fairly straightforward application of levers; I see no reason why the Romans couldn't have had them. Lower weight limits than modern cranes of course, but for the basic operation of "lift heavy object from point A and move it to point B" (mostly for loading/unloading ships) it'd still come in handy.

Cranes as weapons of war, though...you'd have to be an exceptionally poor pilot for dock cranes to become a threat.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Zaphod42 posted:

The Romans has cranes.

As for picking up ships, it's a reference to this.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Not unless that was a mod, sea battles were just two ships meet here's the probability of victory and you must click autoresolve.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Baka-nin posted:

Not unless that was a mod, sea battles were just two ships meet here's the probability of victory and you must click autoresolve.
And it wasn't true "open water" sea battles either I believe. What I remember of the screenshots were of battles taking place by city walls (as a battle went on in the city I think).

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

There's a game that's been on my mind for a few days now. It was a Japanese game from the early 2000, I don't know if it was released in the UK but I think it was since the developers were interviewed on a British video game show. I'm guessing it was survival horror because the cut scenes had monsters in it. It's main selling point was its gimmick that the player was a camera man and had to get good ratings, so you had a choice to step in and save people or sit back and watch the gore. Any ideas?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

There's a game that's been on my mind for a few days now. It was a Japanese game from the early 2000, I don't know if it was released in the UK but I think it was since the developers were interviewed on a British video game show. I'm guessing it was survival horror because the cut scenes had monsters in it. It's main selling point was its gimmick that the player was a camera man and had to get good ratings, so you had a choice to step in and save people or sit back and watch the gore. Any ideas?

Could it be Michigan: Report from Hell?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan:_Report_from_Hell

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The google images look familiar, thanks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Here's one. Arcade, late 80s, flight sim ish. Same tiny sticks on a cube steering wheel controls as Star Wars. You went through psychedelic tunnels between stages.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Allen Wren posted:

Here's one. Arcade, late 80s, flight sim ish. Same tiny sticks on a cube steering wheel controls as Star Wars. You went through psychedelic tunnels between stages.
Based on a screenshot I saw, this could be Lock-On.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Allen Wren posted:

stun runner

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Based on a screenshot I saw, this could be Lock-On.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdjcZ6FbDr0

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thank you

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Allen Wren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdjcZ6FbDr0

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thank you

holy poo poo this owns

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Apparently not, but thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Master_Odin posted:

Whenever you find out what this is, it sounds boss as hell and reminds me that I would love a game that just centered around Archimedes being a mad scientist rear end in a top hat in the Classical Era with death rays and ship-wrecker cranes. For folks who doubt measure-volume-by-displacement man could devise such weapons, behold his calculus. 2 millenia-ish before Newton or Liebniz are sparkles in their fathers' eyes.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Trying to remember the name of a game that's in development right now. I think it's a management/simulation type game. You're responsible for running a haunted house (?) filled with monsters, and various adventury types will turn up at the house and cause problems. I believe I saw it on RPS a few months ago but I'm having no luck searching for this, all the search terms are too generic. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Harmonica posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game that's in development right now. I think it's a management/simulation type game. You're responsible for running a haunted house (?) filled with monsters, and various adventury types will turn up at the house and cause problems. I believe I saw it on RPS a few months ago but I'm having no luck searching for this, all the search terms are too generic. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Sounds like Unholy Heights to me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Harmonica posted:

Afterlife Empire?

HMC
May 18, 2009

SevenSocks posted:

The specific one was a diving game that was on a couple of terminals in the water sciences section of CoSci in Toledo Ohio(Which is now imagination station apparently) and they didn't have it the last time I was there. It would have been there around the late 90's early 2000's. It was an environmentally centered game where you played some kind of diver, and you were inside a lake or something similar.

It was very likely made on the Build engine, since it had that same duke nukem look and feel, hell you even had a mighty boot styled kick with your flipper to open and interact with things, I remember it being funny since the first thing you had to do was kick open a locker and grab your scuba gear otherwise you'd quickly die underwater. You started in a room that was on some kind of personal ship, and you exit through a dive pool in the bottom, and from there I remember a wrecked ship on the bottom of the lake, and a cabin on the shore. I don't remember if it's exactly this but I think I remember Diving down into the bathtub in the cabin, kicking open the drain, and exploring the pipes until I found some kind of water treatment facility. Here's hoping there's a PC version floating around to grab since it really seemed to evoke a weird sense of exploration with its simplicity.

I'm really hoping there's someone out there that can answer this, because I know exactly what you're talking about and posted in another Help Me Remember thread on this forum a while back, and no one was able to help. I will say that I'm happy to know that someone else in the universe remembers That Weird Underwater Game At Cosi besides me, so at least I know it's not something my brain made up.

EDIT: There's some verrrry brief, low-quality footage of the game at the 3:15 mark in this video. The guy behind the camera calls it "Duke Nukem".

HMC fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2015

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
This is gonna be a long shot because I really don't remember much about the game. It would have been around 91, I think. Sort of a side scrolling platformer/beat-em-up, and from what I remember the gimmick was that you were kind of a scrawny kid but had the ability to tansform into this beefy dude who I think had a lion's head or was wearing a lion skin or something. The transform was tied to a meter that would tick down. And I want to say everything had a kind of greco-roman theme to it but honestly have no clue.

I'm absolutely sure it wasn't altered beast. That's about all I'm sure of, because I was at my baby sitters house with a pretty high fever and the game/system belonged to her grandkids who were visiting, so I never saw it again.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Halman posted:

This is gonna be a long shot because I really don't remember much about the game. It would have been around 91, I think. Sort of a side scrolling platformer/beat-em-up, and from what I remember the gimmick was that you were kind of a scrawny kid but had the ability to tansform into this beefy dude who I think had a lion's head or was wearing a lion skin or something. The transform was tied to a meter that would tick down. And I want to say everything had a kind of greco-roman theme to it but honestly have no clue.

I'm absolutely sure it wasn't altered beast. That's about all I'm sure of, because I was at my baby sitters house with a pretty high fever and the game/system belonged to her grandkids who were visiting, so I never saw it again.

Amagon?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/amagon/amagon.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inIiQ8tZO5M&t=2m

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Master_Odin posted:

any other details? anything at all.

random guess: Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War?

Luitpold fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 6, 2015

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Holy poo poo. I'm pretty sure that's it. Thanks!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Luitpold posted:

any other details? anything at all.

random guess: Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War?

This screenshot looks a bit like a crane attacking ships.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cranes are just a fairly straightforward application of levers; I see no reason why the Romans couldn't have had them. Lower weight limits than modern cranes of course, but for the basic operation of "lift heavy object from point A and move it to point B" (mostly for loading/unloading ships) it'd still come in handy.

Cranes as weapons of war, though...you'd have to be an exceptionally poor pilot for dock cranes to become a threat.

That's not entirely true. There were siege triremes that were sailed right up to city walls with siege towers on them so the response was to build big loving cranes that would dip down and flip the things over. I think that was more ancient Greece than ancient Rome but they did in fact exist.

But yeah cranes have been around forever. You can make cranes with nothing but a bunch of dudes, some ropes, and some pulleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Ages ago I played a freeware game. It was 2d top-down, and a space combat game. You plan the move that your space ships will make (including firing), and then you hit "go" and the move plays out at the same time as the opponent's moves. It plays for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the next planning bit happens, and so on. What would you call this, simultaneous-turn-based?

I remember there being different types of space ship, and the plan-then-action setup of the game stood out to me, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Any ideas?