Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

that forehead is way above the tree line, that dome never had hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
he still has hair, it's just on the inside

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hasters posted:

loving idiot Greg Muender had a bad week. This chucklefuck rented his car out through a "sharing" service and the renter left it on the side of the road, tank empty, tires worn smooth, and full of sand. Now a sane person might say "I guess that's the reason that car rental companies exist." and take it as a lesson learned; but this is Silicon Valley so his proposed solution to abuses like this is for someone, Google, to build a service that gathers information from all the "sharing" and social media sites and tracks people to make sure they are trustworthy. What could go possibly go wrong with a pervasive, privately run, unaccountable surveillance apparatus with the ability to limit your purchase of goods and services?

https://pando.com/2015/07/17/what-happens-when-sharing-economy-goes-wrong/75084edb603c3f52ddf067c45bbaa7520dec42f2/

every single word of this article is comedy loving gold

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Dolomite posted:

that forehead is way above the tree line, that dome never had hair

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hasters posted:

loving idiot Greg Muender had a bad week. This chucklefuck rented his car out through a "sharing" service and the renter left it on the side of the road, tank empty, tires worn smooth, and full of sand. Now a sane person might say "I guess that's the reason that car rental companies exist." and take it as a lesson learned; but this is Silicon Valley so his proposed solution to abuses like this is for someone, Google, to build a service that gathers information from all the "sharing" and social media sites and tracks people to make sure they are trustworthy. What could go possibly go wrong with a pervasive, privately run, unaccountable surveillance apparatus with the ability to limit your purchase of goods and services?

https://pando.com/2015/07/17/what-happens-when-sharing-economy-goes-wrong/75084edb603c3f52ddf067c45bbaa7520dec42f2/

Let me be clear, I’m extremely supportive of collaborative consumption and this story is not a oh-my-god-the-sharing-economy-is-not-going-to-work rant. I’ve been a host on airbnb for over 200 nights. I’ve racked up more than 1,000 rides behind the wheel with Lyft. I even shipped my sister’s Honda off to FlightCar indefinitely.

he's written on medium about the last 3

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
he somehow managed to rent his apartment out on airbnb for 120 days in 2 months to support his startup
edit:

quote:

I’m exactly five weeks into launching my startup, and my cofounder and I are still very much bootstrapping. My auto lender and landlord don’t accept equity, bitcoin, or high-fives as currency, so I’ve got to bring in cash in creative ways. Lyft driving in San Francisco is my interim solution, and I’ve racked up over 1,000 rides thus far.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

he somehow managed to rent his apartment out on airbnb for 120 days in 2 months to support his startup
edit:

so he has a landlord, yet he's renting out an apartment on AirBnB?

So he complains that the limits to the 'sharing economy' are when "Owners will be in it for the income, and renters will use it for the cost savings," while making money off of an apartment he rents and a car he doesn't own so he can run a startup without having to get an actual job?

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 19, 2015

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

what happened to being in stealth mode, is that not a thing anymore?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
no it is, I know of 3 separate people running SF weed delivery startups in stealth mode. the kind with apps and everything. you can customize your own weed truffles!!! and get them delivered via courier!! the future is now

there are no regulatory issues surrounding that, I'm sure.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hasters posted:

loving idiot Greg Muender had a bad week. This chucklefuck rented his car out through a "sharing" service and the renter left it on the side of the road, tank empty, tires worn smooth, and full of sand.

the first few times this got quoted i kept wondering how they got sand in the tires

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bassguitarhero posted:

So he complains that the limits to the 'sharing economy' are when "Owners will be in it for the income, and renters will use it for the cost savings," while making money off of an apartment he rents and a car he doesn't own so he can run a startup without having to get an actual job?

lol yeah

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

did that guy literally rent out a 2014 ~45k infinity coup to multiple people to make $500 before someone destroyed it?

why is everything so wonderful

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i've been using Uber, or 'Ubes' as the kids call it these days for like 3 years now here in SF. back when i started it was mostly black cars picking up people in between their main jobs, then it was like exclusively priuses and camrys, the last 3 months though, it has been older people in high end luxury cars. i've gotten rides in several new-model $100k+ cars and a bunch of really inappropriate cars. mercedes s-class (posted a pic in this thread), bmw x5 , 2 different range rovers (non-sport), a WRX STi, an M5 and couple other ones.

who the gently caress are the people with an M5 going "ah i know, I'll make $4/hr after fees to livery people around SF and put a ton of miles on my car at the same time!"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i've been using Uber, or 'Ubes' as the kids call it these days for like 3 years now here in SF. back when i started it was mostly black cars picking up people in between their main jobs, then it was like exclusively priuses and camrys, the last 3 months though, it has been older people in high end luxury cars. i've gotten rides in several new-model $100k+ cars and a bunch of really inappropriate cars. mercedes s-class (posted a pic in this thread), bmw x5 , 2 different range rovers (non-sport), a WRX STi, an M5 and couple other ones.

who the gently caress are the people with an M5 going "ah i know, I'll make $4/hr after fees to livery people around SF and put a ton of miles on my car at the same time!"

I got a Lyft ride from a mom who's kids were in school. The car was nice and she was really friendly.

I have no idea why anyone else would do it, but getting rides from bored moms makes sense.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
apart from the danger of the bored mom being robbed or raped or worse

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Celexi posted:

apart from the danger of the bored mom being robbed or raped or worse

She has nothing to fear. I am looking out for her best interests, and also keeping her surgically tightened pussy completely filled with my swollen, diseased tongue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

also he prostitutes his sisters car when she was in thailand

please don't insult the founder of whittlr

which I can't find out what it actually does

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ayn rand hand job posted:

also he prostitutes his sisters car when she was in thailand

please don't insult the founder of whittlr

which I can't find out what it actually does

slowly carves a meager profit using the bloated husk of personal ownership. each sharing moment another gouge in the surface of a valuable. another step toward the perfect form of a car attaining maximum profitability with minimum work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

bored old people who's kids don't call them as often as they should

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

uber drivers are reportedly getting laid

or, failing that, networking

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol verge

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:captainpop:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
by stoya, for stoya

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
seems a bit masturbatory no

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lorf

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
(that's lol + barf at the same time)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

instacart is disrupting the gig economy.

quote:

Instacart, the fast-growing grocery delivery service, is growing its presence in Austin by converting potentially dozens of its contract workers to part-time employees, the company announced Monday.

In all, the change could impact about 100 local contractors who have worked for Instacart, whereas now they could become employees eligible for certain benefits. The effort also sheds more light on the scale of the company’s workforce here locally, which previously was not publicly revealed.

trying to get out ahead of the class action lawsuits i wager.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

that pando article unlock expired but the laughs aren't done yet

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

bored old people with money to spare and no one to talk to. they don't care at all about the high costs or the low pay, they just like being presented with a wide variety of strangers to talk to one-on-one whenever they please

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

instacart is disrupting the gig economy.

trying to get out ahead of the class action lawsuits i wager.

yeah came here to post this, i wonder how many of these companies are prepared to fight lawsuits about this. i'm sure uber is but they're terrible. i wonder if other companies will eventually give up on pretending employees aren't actually employees.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kwinkles posted:

yeah came here to post this, i wonder how many of these companies are prepared to fight lawsuits about this. i'm sure uber is but they're terrible. i wonder if other companies will eventually give up on pretending employees aren't actually employees.

i imagine it will depend on how healthy the underlying business model is. there is probably enough margin in the grocery courier market (especially targeting whole foods customers) that instacart can handle paying employees. uber, handy, and the like on the other hand are royally hosed because they aren't going to be able to pay wage + mileage at the rates they use and the value they add is insufficient to command a premium and still retain their present market share/growth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

i imagine it will depend on how healthy the underlying business model is. there is probably enough margin in the grocery courier market (especially targeting whole foods customers) that instacart can handle paying employees. uber, handy, and the like on the other hand are royally hosed because they aren't going to be able to pay wage + mileage at the rates they use and the value they add is insufficient to command a premium and still retain their present market share/growth.

Peapod has been around doing grocery courier stuff since the fuckin' 80s

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I still cannot fathom how Uber convinces people to work for them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rexicon1 posted:

work from home! be your own boss! make as much money as you want! has worked since time immemorial

or the Corinthian college commercials that were a guy yelling at you to stop watching daytime TV and pay $50,000 for a nursing degree

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

two gawker chief editors just resigned over the lack of ethics in journalism btw

http://gawker.com/tommy-craggs-and-max-read-are-resigning-from-gawker-1719002144

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rexicon1 posted:

it's pretty simple. you have a $400 car payment you can't afford, and a nice car attached to that loan. so you work part time for uber to pay it.

yes, you make less money than the depreciation on your car. that part is probably obvious even to the sad sack drivers. but you can exchange labor and equity in your vehicle for here and now cash

it is an act of desperation

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Peapod has been around doing grocery courier stuff since the fuckin' 80s

im surprised schwans isn't trying to get into the game

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shifty Pony posted:

uber, handy, and the like on the other hand are royally hosed because they aren't going to be able to pay wage + mileage at the rates they use and the value they add is insufficient to command a premium and still retain their present market share/growth.

and in fact their business model is almost entirely predicated on rates so low they couldn't actually pay their misclassified contractors as employees and remain competitive

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luigi Thirty posted:

two gawker chief editors just resigned over the lack of ethics in journalism btw

http://gawker.com/tommy-craggs-and-max-read-are-resigning-from-gawker-1719002144

wait is the lack of ethics the fact that their story got pulled or that they were willing to smear a non-public figure because the story was particularly salacious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Tatsujin posted:

im surprised schwans isn't trying to get into the game

schwans had a free item promo a few years ago, getting that gallon of ice cream delivered was the first and only time i've seen one of their trucks.

• Locked thread