Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

I have as well. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Xolve is back?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Syndic Thrass posted:

Xolve is back?

No, Xolve is still owned by someone in ISRAD.

However, I am playing EVE again (sort of), and not going on boat fleets because... Querious seemed like effort (and also- because boat fleet).

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Join BOPE

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

:suicide:.

Seriously, gently caress B0PE.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

vyst posted:

Real chat it would be nice if CCP didn't roles so loving gay and you wouldn't need a new alliance or corp or whatever to participate in life.

Fixed.

While I realize that implementing real role-based access control for hangars and structures requires a monumental amount of effort and testing I really hope CCP has it on their radar because the Linux-like permissions and roles were dated when I began playing this game in 2006 and they haven't changed much at all since then.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Artificer posted:

Plex is close to a billion now, yeah? So even if you're active ratting with, let's say, 40 million ISK post-tax ticks, it'll still take you 8 hours and 20 minutes to get the billion ISK you need to PLEX. Longer if you're afk-ratting.

God that's horrifying.

And people are saying that it will go even well-over 2-3 if not 4b in a year or so, which I still don't believe and I really hope won't happen. Would be impossible to pay the game with ISK for alot of people. I'm sure that CCP will manipulate the prices to keep it down.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NyxBiker posted:

And people are saying that it will go even well-over 2-3 if not 4b in a year or so, which I still don't believe and I really hope won't happen. Would be impossible to pay the game with ISK for alot of people. I'm sure that CCP will manipulate the prices to keep it down.

Can't be done, short of injecting free plex into the market (which will not happen).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Can't be done, short of injecting free plex into the market (which will not happen).

They've dumped plex on to the market to suppress the price before.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

There's a reason Ultima Online died and it isn't because their on-staff economist forgot how hyperinflation works.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

darth cookie posted:

That was just confiscated PLEX from RMT, right? They didn't actually create any that nobody paid for.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Having not really followed eve recently I guess I find this interesting? Why are PLEX prices going up/expected to go up so much? What happened?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ice Fist posted:

Having not really followed eve recently I guess I find this interesting? Why are PLEX prices going up/expected to go up so much? What happened?

game is dying, the number of people willing to shell out RL dosh for PLEX is drying up

this neuters the incoming supply, making prices go up

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
loving finally, an end to the zero-effort charitybegging.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ice Fist posted:

When PvE and moon mining are lucrative enough that people are buying PLEX more and paying real cash subscriptions less, is when their touted "dynamic player-driven economy" stops working.

Then CCP shuts down because nobody is giving them actual money except the diehard quadrillionaire spergs multiboxing ten titans with nothing to shoot.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Agreed, I stopped reading the forums much a month or two ago and even then it was getting retarded.

"Hmm this one guy has a legitimate thing and got a successful response, I'm sure goons will pay for my wife's friend's cousin's child's dog's cancer surgery!"

:fuckoff:

also lol if you spend more than $1000 on a vet bill

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

darth cookie posted:

They have cycled seized plex (i.e. selling at a temporary peak while buying at a temporary low) to smooth out the price. But they've done it in a way that doesn't inject new plex into the game over the long term, because doing that costs them actual money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

My feeling is that as new people in EVE dry up, there's fewer people selling plex to get a start. Also now that supercaps are worthless people don't plex for one anymore. Both cut down on supply. The isk chasing those plex increases as, again, new players dry up so the people buying tend to be richer.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

evilweasel posted:

My feeling is that as new people in EVE dry up, there's fewer people selling plex to get a start. Also now that supercaps are worthless people don't plex for one anymore. Both cut down on supply. The isk chasing those plex increases as, again, new players dry up so the people buying tend to be richer.

Supercaps are now worthless because CCP nerfed the poo poo out of jump range correct? Or was it something else?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Ice Fist posted:

Supercaps are now worthless because CCP nerfed the poo poo out of jump range correct? Or was it something else?

Also, removing most structure grinds.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

Jump fatigue, as well as that with fozziesov any damage-dealing capital ship has no role. Dreadnaughts don't have things to shoot, so supercarriers don't have capitals to shoot, and titans don't have dreads or supercarriers to kill.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

ChickenWing posted:

Agreed, I stopped reading the forums much a month or two ago and even then it was getting retarded.

"Hmm this one guy has a legitimate thing and got a successful response, I'm sure goons will pay for my wife's friend's cousin's child's dog's cancer surgery!"

:fuckoff:

also lol if you spend more than $1000 on a vet bill

If you can't afford it that is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

silentsnack posted:

When PvE and moon mining are lucrative enough that people are buying PLEX more and paying real cash subscriptions less, is when their touted "dynamic player-driven economy" stops working.

Then CCP shuts down because nobody is giving them actual money except the diehard quadrillionaire spergs multiboxing ten titans with nothing to shoot.

Of course, all active accounts are paid for with actual money, and CCP makes more if they're PLEXed rather than paid for through regular subscriptions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What could cause CCP to be in actual trouble with plex is the fact that there's large stockpiles of plex out there. Since those have already been paid for, if there was something that caused people to start redeeming those more than they do now that would lower CCP's actual revenue (while from an accounting standpoint it may not for reasons not worth explaining, from a cash balance standpoint it absolutely lowers their bank balance) and that could cause CCP some serious problems. My guess though is that the sort of death spiral that would kill CCP would lead to most of those being abandoned on dead accounts rather than used.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Duzzy Funlop posted:

i haven't kept up with this stuff, did lucas tigh end up making a thread to use goonfleet as his atm to cover his drug habit

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Glory of Arioch posted:

i haven't kept up with this stuff, did lucas tigh end up making a thread to use goonfleet as his atm to cover his drug habit

The final straw was probably the Karmafleet dude that asked for money because VETBILLS that his "job" as an Uber driver wasn't paying for.

In his very first and only post.

Didn't even notice that until it was pointed out earlier, though. My eyes started rolling a long while ago when Rothana whatshisname asked for cash because payments for his baby momma's kid or sister's kid or whatever the gently caress, some kid that was super important to him. Just not important enough to rustle up more than three lines of text.

And when Innominate or someone else kindly nudged him to maybe put some more effort in it, he came up with like 5 more lines.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The final straw was probably the Karmafleet dude that asked for money because VETBILLS that his "job" as an Uber driver wasn't paying for.

As is the case in most fields, the early adopters make the money.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Didn't even notice that until it was pointed out earlier, though. My eyes started rolling a long while ago when Rothana whatshisname asked for cash because payments for his baby momma's kid or sister's kid or whatever the gently caress, some kid that was super important to him. Just not important enough to rustle up more than three lines of text.

And when Innominate or someone else kindly nudged him to maybe put some more effort in it, he came up with like 5 more lines.

I just got tired of seeing that bullshit. And goonfleet dot com isn't the place for it. It's one thing when it's avalloc or gommel nox where they are only asking for donations of time and not money. I'm cool with that, but with so much unverified requests out there I wanted to nip it in the bud right now

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
Newbie Eve question: Should I start a new character for each role I'm interested in? I created my first character, and have been training mining skills, but I'd also like to do PVP.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ProSlayer posted:

Newbie Eve question: Should I start a new character for each role I'm interested in? I created my first character, and have been training mining skills, but I'd also like to do PVP.

Only if you want like 15 accounts.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

Rhymenoserous posted:

Only if you want like 15 accounts.

Do you need a minimum amount of skill training before engaging in PVP?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ProSlayer posted:

Roughly 56,565 is needed to get started.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

What could cause CCP to be in actual trouble with plex is the fact that there's large stockpiles of plex out there. Since those have already been paid for, if there was something that caused people to start redeeming those more than they do now that would lower CCP's actual revenue (while from an accounting standpoint it may not for reasons not worth explaining, from a cash balance standpoint it absolutely lowers their bank balance) and that could cause CCP some serious problems. My guess though is that the sort of death spiral that would kill CCP would lead to most of those being abandoned on dead accounts rather than used.

How would it lower their cash balance? To your point: stockpiles of PLEX are already paid for. I think it's the opposite from what you argue: from an accounting perspective, they may realize the revenue and cost of a subscription upon PLEX activation, even though the cash flow happened at some point in the past.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

I just got tired of seeing that bullshit. And goonfleet dot com isn't the place for it. It's one thing when it's avalloc or gommel nox where they are only asking for donations of time and not money. I'm cool with that, but with so much unverified requests out there I wanted to nip it in the bud right now

im pretty sure i stomped on it when i asked the guy how he got through meps without them catching his fetal alcohol syndrome but a week delayed post about it is ok too :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

How would it lower their cash balance? To your point: stockpiles of PLEX are already paid for. I think it's the opposite from what you argue: from an accounting perspective, they may realize the revenue and cost of a subscription upon PLEX activation, even though the cash flow happened at some point in the past.

Because an increase in the amount of plex redeemed for subscription time is a decrease in paying actual dollars. The amount of plex that are outstanding would cause a significant hit in subscription revenue if people began burning those instead of paying recurring subscriptions (or, instead of purchasing new plex to sell on the market).

From an accounting perspective they can now realize the gain on the earlier plex sale as well so it's a wash. But it's not from a cash-flow perspective: they got extra cash a long time ago, wasted it on DUST, and now have to pay for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ProSlayer posted:

You should probably be able to activate either a warp disruptor or a non-civilian weapon. Not exactly a high bar.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

evilweasel posted:

You should probably be able to activate either a warp disruptor or a non-civilian weapon. Not exactly a high bar.

The five hours or whatever to be able to online an MWD is the most significant barrier to entry for PvP.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

im pretty sure i stomped on it when i asked the guy how he got through meps without them catching his fetal alcohol syndrome but a week delayed post about it is ok too :v:

a post inside of a thread is not "stomping on it" you dumb baby.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ProSlayer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOB4KXYk-o

20 days worth of sp seems to be the water mark to fly a frigate well enough that you can take down vets, the eve is easy videos are pretty awesome for explaining the hows and why of frigate pvp. But the real answer is if you have friends and can fit the tackle mods your ready for pvp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

a post inside of a thread is not "stomping on it" you dumb baby.

havent been any threads since so obviously it is :smugdog:

• Locked thread