Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MinibarMatchman posted:

i'm glad steam refund is a thing that exists and this game was the sacrificial lamb to ensure maybe WB will loving QA test Mad Max.

That game may be far too into development to have any changes from Arkham Knight be applied to it, but seeing as there still isn't a steam page of Mad Max when WB is usually very eager to get several month preorders going, it makes me a little worried that their answer is going to be no more steam games.

But if it is just another Arkham Knight and they don't really cater to the PC version for the next several months, maybe WB's self exile from porting to Valve's store isn't the worst thing.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

1. Seamless interiors/exteriors are loving awesome and how come no one has mentioned this? I didn't expect another game to get this right so soon after Witcher 3."

I guess in a few cases, but generally it's "enter building, use suspiciously lengthy elevator to reach the main room". Technically a seamless interior, but really it's a loading screen by any other name.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

chaosapiant posted:

A couple of things about this game that I haven't seen mentioned that I find interesting:

1. Seamless interiors/exteriors are loving awesome and how come no one has mentioned this? I didn't expect another game to get this right so soon after Witcher 3.

They didn't really, it's a big part of the problems with the PC release since it's accomplished by texture streaming, which is hosed up and their shoddy solution to was to slap a 30 fps limit on the game and hope it worked out somehow

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crabtree posted:

That game may be far too into development to have any changes from Arkham Knight be applied to it, but seeing as there still isn't a steam page of Mad Max when WB is usually very eager to get several month preorders going, it makes me a little worried that their answer is going to be no more steam games.

But if it is just another Arkham Knight and they don't really cater to the PC version for the next several months, maybe WB's self exile from porting to Valve's store isn't the worst thing.

skipping a steam version of that would be hilariously bad press and would not encourage goodwill in the slightest

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

A couple of things about this game that I haven't seen mentioned that I find interesting:

1. Seamless interiors/exteriors are loving awesome and how come no one has mentioned this? I didn't expect another game to get this right so soon after Witcher 3.

2. Based on a couple of enemy encounters and the Arkham Knight itself, a lot of this game seems to be Batman's first time meeting some folks and a bit of "originy" stuff for other character. I never got the impression from Asylum/City that this game took place before the whole Bat-Family was established, but Arkham Knight seems to be going that route. When Bats first resolved the "mystery" of Manbat, I was like "WTF I thought he already knew that?"

1. Eh.

2. I'm not sure I understand--which Bat-fam are you referring to? At this point, we've had 3 Robins, Batgirl, Nightwing, Oracle...those are the primaries. There's never been a mention of Huntress, so I guess she doesn't exist. The only other First Meeting besides ManBat that I can think of is with the perpetrator of the hanging bodies side-mission. Everyone else is established in some way.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

redbackground posted:

1. Eh.

2. I'm not sure I understand--which Bat-fam are you referring to? At this point, we've had 3 Robins, Batgirl, Nightwing, Oracle...those are the primaries. There's never been a mention of Huntress, so I guess she doesn't exist. The only other First Meeting besides ManBat that I can think of is with the perpetrator of the hanging bodies side-mission. Everyone else is established in some way.

Huntress is mentioned:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Huntress is mentioned:

Yessss

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MinibarMatchman posted:

skipping a steam version of that would be hilariously bad press and would not encourage goodwill in the slightest

It really wouldn't hurt them press wise at all, the only issue would be lost sales from having less platforms supported.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

redbackground posted:

1. Eh.

I guess a better way to put it is that I didn't realize Arkham Knight was retelling stories from the comics. I mean yea, most of his bat-family is there. Also, apparently Damian Wayne does not exist in this universe. I'm having a hard time articulating my point. I guess up until now I hadn't really realized that the Arkham Series as a whole sort of existed in it's own world and is not really affected by the comics. Since Joker died at the end of City, I thought this series of events was a bit later in Batman's career and Red Hood/Red Robin might have already been established. I'd seen the previous Arkham games mostly as "poo poo Batman does" bookended by Year One/Year Zero: New 52 and Dark Knight Returns.

Edit: also in this Arkham timeline, Knightfall I guess never happened? Otherwise Batman wouldn't be considering Azrael's proposition, since that poo poo already happened and got crazy. Like, I thought the Bane from Asylum was after he had broke-the-bat.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 20, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I guess a better way to put it is that I didn't realize Arkham Knight was retelling stories from the comics. I mean yea, most of his bat-family is there. Also, apparently Damian Wayne does not exist in this universe. I'm having a hard time articulating my point. I guess up until now I hadn't really realized that the Arkham Series as a whole sort of existed in it's own world and is not really affected by the comics. Since Joker died at the end of City, I thought this series of events was a bit later in Batman's career and Red Hood/Red Robin might have already been established. I'd seen the previous Arkham games mostly as "poo poo Batman does" bookended by Year One/Year Zero: New 52 and Dark Knight Returns.

Edit: also in this Arkham timeline, Knightfall I guess never happened? Otherwise Batman wouldn't be considering Azrael's proposition, since that poo poo already happened and got crazy. Like, I thought the Bane from Asylum was after he had broke-the-bat.
The Arkham games is its own self-contained thing. Don't try to cram it into other stories' timelines. It started off more as a more uh, mature version of the Animated Series universe more than anything, I think, anyway, based on the characters' relationships/attitudes.

No, Knightfall did not happen.

Complicating your own thoughts, Year One, Year Zero, and Dark Knight Returns don't even take place in the same timeline together.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 20, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

chaosapiant posted:

This is correct. They draw heavily from the comics, but they are in no way bound by them. This Azreal is a completely different person than the one from the Knightfall comic, for instance.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

redbackground posted:

Complicating your own thoughts, Year One, Year Zero, and Dark Knight Returns don't even take place in the same timeline together.

I use Year Zero/Year One interchangably, since Year Zero and in general the New 52 origin stories keep most of the same story-beats intact as Year One. And since Year One is Miller, I consider TDKR the conlusion to "all the poo poo after Year One to Batman's Death" for lack of a better way of describing it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the AK Azrael is kinda the Third Ghost of Batman one.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Huntress is mentioned:

Wait, is that BC Black Canary?

God, it would be so cool to see an aftermath game with the entire Bat-Family just trying to hold everything together after Batman's death

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So a Battle of the Cowl game where you get to pick who you play as to be the heir to the throne and go around convincing/fighting the other rivals to the Bat Legacy. Oh who am I kidding, they'll pick someone specific and go from there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HaitianDivorce posted:

Wait, is that BC Black Canary?

God, it would be so cool to see an aftermath game with the entire Bat-Family just trying to hold everything together after Batman's death

Yes, if you look at the icons on the bottom you see one for Canary too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whatever they do next needs to fully implement dual mode. I want a game where you always have a partner. Maybe different characters have different skill sets/abilities and you pick who you want from there. There isn't nearly enough dual mode stuff in AK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Whatever they do next needs to fully implement dual mode. I want a game where you always have a partner. Maybe different characters have different skill sets/abilities and you pick who you want from there. There isn't nearly enough dual mode stuff in AK.

It's extremely disappointing that they had such a cool idea and it gets barely fleshed out in favor of Batmobile.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

It's extremely disappointing that they had such a cool idea and it gets barely fleshed out in favor of Batmobile.

I really, really like the Batmobile, but I'd trade it in for a fully fleshed out, game-wide dual mode in a heartbeat.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Thought about doing a new game plus in Arkham City. Loaded it up and was greeted by Windows Live not liking my password and said gently caress it. What a terrible system.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did I share this already? This is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2TiVdIjEtk

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Irradiation posted:

Thought about doing a new game plus in Arkham City. Loaded it up and was greeted by Windows Live not liking my password and said gently caress it. What a terrible system.

Didn't they strip GFWL out of City?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

redbackground posted:

Seriously?

First Batman graphic novel I ever bought was the leather bound omnibus of Year one, wanted: santa claus and Dark Knight Returns. Now I'm surprised.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Didn't they strip GFWL out of City?

They did, Asylum too. Anyone who owned Asylum and City on Steam should have had 'Game of the Year' editions with GFWL removed added to their accounts.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Levantine posted:

Despite what people did not like against the Batgirl DLC, they let you fight with Robin quite a bit. No dual predator which sucks, but it was really fun arriving on scene as Robin is already punching guys. I am 100% down for Origins 2 starring Batman and Robin (could be Dick or Jason). Or DickBats and Damian...if Damian exists? Tim then.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's a terrible video, and you're a terrible person.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Veotax posted:

They did, Asylum too. Anyone who owned Asylum and City on Steam should have had 'Game of the Year' editions with GFWL removed added to their accounts.

So I just need to reinstall it or what?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Fool posted:

That's a terrible video, and you're a terrible person.

I know. :smith:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

These videos all suck. Skin deep criticisms that often don't even make sense. "This diner is full of newspapers with hints towards future plot points?" Why is that a "sin?" It's called foreshadowing, and it's something good writers do.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Irradiation posted:

Uninstall old version, install GOTY version which should have a separate entry. I just replayed AA and AC after finishing this one and they worked just fine.

Also everyone on PC should try out that ini edit automator that dude on steam forums is putting out, it's pretty cool.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's an okay video. It eschews most of the discussion of gameplay flaws or design choices in favor of LOOK AT THIS PLOT HOLE! LOOK AT THIS MINOR COSMETIC PROBLEM!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jurgan posted:

These videos all suck. Skin deep criticisms that often don't even make sense. "This diner is full of newspapers with hints towards future plot points?" Why is that a "sin?" It's called foreshadowing, and it's something good writers do.

To my understanding, CinemaSins and its parodies generally switch between actual criticism and nitpicking for the sake of adding to the sin count.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Irradiation posted:

Specifically the GOTY version, they're separate from the GFWL versions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The problem with those "everything wrong with X game" videos is that they missed the point of the "everything wrong with X movie" Cinema Sins series they are shamelessly cribbing, in that the "everything wrong with X movie" series is satire about people who over-analyze movies; the whole joke is that most of their criticisms don't actually matter or detract from your enjoyment (with a few legitimate criticisms mixed in). The "everything wrong with X game" videos take it in earnest.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You'd be better off with the Red Letter Media criticism video, and even that still praises the game's story telling instead of the story itself in between screaming gently caress YOU to WB Games, the Batmobile and wishing Rocksteady actually tried to write a goddamn mystery for Arkham Knight if they wanted it be a shocking reveal. Well that and make the Knight be the central villain while Scarecrow is the aide-de-camp.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

Also everyone on PC should try out that ini edit automator that dude on steam forums is putting out, it's pretty cool.
:agreed: x 100

I have actual regular textures on a regular basis now. I finally saw my first full-res breaker-box texture after using the app (3/4 of the way through the freakin game)--every single time beforehand it was a smeary yellow mess.

Hav posted:

Seriously?

First Batman graphic novel I ever bought was the leather bound omnibus of Year one, wanted: santa claus and Dark Knight Returns. Now I'm surprised.
Pretty much.

"Year One" was written shortly after the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" DC mega-event in 1985 that rebooted their entire universe, and was meant to establish the official Bat-origin for the DCU going forward (originally published in Batman #404–407).

DKR (and its...interesting sequel DKSA) was Miller pretty much doing his own thing on the concept of the last Batman story. It, like these games, is separate from everything else. It's just SUPER POPULAR.

(for completeness sake) "Zero Year" is Scott Snyder's take on the first year shenanigans of Bruce's Batmanning in the rebooted-again-in-2011 DC universe, and is a good source of quality modern Riddler (Batman #21–33).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 20, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

the people who make these videos are joyless loving retards who love wasting everyone's time

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Crabtree posted:

There actually aren't pre-order pages for any digital version of it yet, regardless of platform.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MinibarMatchman posted:

the people who make these videos are joyless loving retards who love wasting everyone's time

See also 'How it should have ended' and 'Honest trailers'.

The scum of the internet. Made by scum for scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

redbackground posted:

Pretty much.

"Year One" was written shortly after the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" DC mega-event in 1985 that rebooted their entire universe, and was meant to establish the official Bat-origin for the DCU going forward (originally published in Batman #404–407).

DKR (and its...interesting sequel DKSA) was Miller pretty much doing his own thing on the concept of the last Batman story. It, like these games, is separate from everything else. It's just SUPER POPULAR.

(for completeness sake) "Zero Year" is Scott Snyder's take on the first year shenanigans of Bruce's Batmanning in the rebooted-again-in-2011 DC universe, and is a good source of quality modern Riddler (Batman #21–33).

Thanks for the explanation. At the risk of creating a war, can anyone recommend Batman graphic novels _beyond_ Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing joke? I have more money to spend on comics now.

• Locked thread