Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why not just say what happened. Posting it like you did is going to just make people ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

That sounds a little worrisome. What happened with the dogs? I'm assuming a fight of some kind? Will there potentially be additional bills if things don't recover as planned?

Just a fight yeah. Eh I'd guess my mom will cover any additional bills (she didn't even want us to pay, but it's our dog to blame so I insisted); if there are more bills we're just talking antibiotics or something. She was hurt, but I don't believe it's very serious now that the vet has stitched her up.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Dat title change tho

KG, if you're worried about the medical bill, let's break it down.
- Could you post the breakdown of the $21k? Is that just one huge lump sum to one hospital, or does it break down into individual doctors, services, procedures, etc?
- Is there any possibility there are other amounts that may have shown up later, that you missed?

Would you be willing to post the name of the hospital where this took place? We can figure out if they have a collections department or not. No collections department might make them easier to wheel and deal with.

OK the actual bill is $21,000 as mentioned, with some additional bills also in collection as mentioned.

No no more collection accounts would be coming. This happened 4 or 5 years ago. The big medical bill went into collections in 2012 with the rest in 2011. I'm not sure how this affects the statute of limitations on sueable medical debt here (6 years in Nevada). If it's from the date of last payment then it would be ready to fall off sooner (as there never was a payment, and it happened in 2010 or 2011), else obviously later.

I'll post the hospital if it would still help, but it is with an actual collections agency.

n8r posted:

KG have you decided to go to the envelope system for some of your budget? What is your plan to keep yourself from overspending in your problem areas?

Month of August we'll do this for the flex spending areas to give it a go. We haven't tried the envelope system in years. I said I'd do it this month, but I never got around to getting to the bank. This month is looking pretty good at least, the new vet bill notwithstanding. So to ensure I actually do this: Before the 4th of August I'll pull our flexible spending, put it into envelopes, and post a picture of the envelopes here. :toxx:.

I have a sand rail frame and accompanying VW bug I've been thinking of selling to help make up for some poo poo the past two months. We're probably only talking $500-$1000 but it's worth a go (I intended to do this last month, but I counted my chickens before they hatched, which was part of the problem).

foxatee posted:

I never said it was a new concern. We're all aware of the medical debt, but you've never shown this much concern over it. I'm just wondering why this became such a priority all of a sudden.

Well I think it's because we've finally reached our saving goal (or close enough to start putting money towards the car). We actually have something to "lose", and starting at 0 with more liability to come would be depressing.

Quantum Finger posted:

You need help. More help than "exercise."

I trust my psychologist's advice. I believe his reasoning is that a runner's high will replace the endorphins that my bad habits currently are useful for.

In addition to decreased feelings of pain, secretion of endorphins leads to feelings of euphoria, modulation of appetite, release of sex hormones, and enhancement of the immune response. With high endorphin levels, we feel less pain and fewer negative effects of stress. Endorphins have been suggested as modulators of the so-called "runner's high" that athletes achieve with prolonged exercise. While the role of endorphins and other compounds as potential triggers of this euphoric response has been debated extensively by doctors and scientists, it is at least known that the body does produce endorphins in response to prolonged, continuous exercise.

So to recap: we will put money towards the car debt on the first of the month :dance:, get on the envelope system by the fourth of the month (I'm only committing to this for August to see if it works), and I'll consider selling some stuff.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Someone else will probably say it better.

But selling things, getting a windfall, bonus, etc. Would not prevent you from busting your budget. Otherwise the thought could be, oh if I buy this, I can always sell it later. So you start the hedonic treadmill of buying and selling and thinking you are remaining on budget. I don't think the sand rail was that case here, but just a reminder that you don't want to get into this mindset.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If it's only a year away from the point where you can no longer be sued to recover the debt, then I wouldn't bother to try and settle the medical debt. In the event that you are sued, I think you would be able to just put any emergency money into your car loan and it would be protected. Your first $15,000 in equity in each car is protected from judgments.

http://www.civillawselfhelpcenter.o...claims-judgment

Also:

NRS 11.200  Computation of time.  The time in NRS 11.190 shall be deemed to date from the last transaction or the last item charged or last credit given; and whenever any payment on principal or interest has been or shall be made upon an existing contract, whether it be a bill of exchange, promissory note or other evidence of indebtedness if such payment be made after the same shall have become due, the limitation shall commence from the time the last payment was made.

It is very strange to me that you came up with a scheme to hide money in your grandmother's checking account, but you never bothered to figure out the exact date you can no longer be sued for this medical debt.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

If it's only a year away from the point where you can no longer be sued to recover the debt, then I wouldn't bother to try and settle the medical debt. In the event that you are sued, I think you would be able to just put any emergency money into your car loan and it would be protected. Your first $15,000 in equity in each car is protected from judgments.

http://www.civillawselfhelpcenter.o...claims-judgment

Also:

NRS 11.200  Computation of time.  The time in NRS 11.190 shall be deemed to date from the last transaction or the last item charged or last credit given; and whenever any payment on principal or interest has been or shall be made upon an existing contract, whether it be a bill of exchange, promissory note or other evidence of indebtedness if such payment be made after the same shall have become due, the limitation shall commence from the time the last payment was made.

It is very strange to me that you came up with a scheme to hide money in your grandmother's checking account, but you never bothered to figure out the exact date you can no longer be sued for this medical debt.

Alright well that's good news; thanks. I attempted to figure out the exact date, but I can't remember what year it even happened in. I'll try to get some information on it all.

Great news on the car stuff. My only concern here (from reading the debt thread, credit boards, and more) is getting sued and not even knowing about it. If we still lived at the same address this would be waaay far down on my priority list.

I'll figure out when the procedure actually happened, and go from there.

MrEnigma posted:

Someone else will probably say it better.

But selling things, getting a windfall, bonus, etc. Would not prevent you from busting your budget. Otherwise the thought could be, oh if I buy this, I can always sell it later. So you start the hedonic treadmill of buying and selling and thinking you are remaining on budget. I don't think the sand rail was that case here, but just a reminder that you don't want to get into this mindset.

Yeah I get this. Every now and then I think "hey I could sell X and then buy Y". I usually don't entertain this because as you said it's still breaking the budget, but it is something to be cognizant of I think.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 20, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Droo posted:

In the event that you are sued, I think you would be able to just put any emergency money into your car loan and it would be protected. Your first $15,000 in equity in each car is protected from judgments.
If this happened I'd advise talking to a lawyer about it first, because I have a feeling stuffing all of your money into equity after you got sued wouldn't go over too well with a judge.

(emphasis on after, because I don't want to discourage you from paying off your car loan now.)

MrEnigma posted:

Agreeing with this. Selling stuff is good, because it gives you money, reduces clutter, and gives you perspective on how attached you are(or aren't) to your possessions. But you need to be able to meet your budget without selling things.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Consider letting your mom help with the vet bill, if she offers again. Then demonstrate to her by your actions that the money was both needed and appreciated.

Edit: not to put too fine a point on it, but if you accept money from family, show your gratitude in a simple and thoughtful way, and don't turn around a month later and take a vacation.

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 20, 2015

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Alright well that's good news; thanks. I attempted to figure out the exact date, but I can't remember what year it even happened in. I'll try to get some information on it all.

Great news on the car stuff. My only concern here (from reading the debt thread, credit boards, and more) is getting sued and not even knowing about it. If we still lived at the same address this would be waaay far down on my priority list.

If you never paid anything on any of the medical bills, then I believe the expiration date would be 6 years from the date you actually had the procedure done.

Also:

(6) Service Upon Individuals.  In all other cases to the defendant personally, or by leaving copies thereof at the defendant’s dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein, or by delivering a copy of the summons and complaint to an agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service of process (http://www.leg.state.nv.us/courtrules/nrcp.html)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

True blue emergency. $780 vet bill from taking my dogs for a walk on Saturday. It was an accident with my mom's dog and ours that turned out to be my dog's fault. Do never pet. We're prepared at least with our vet fund and some efund.

I'm surprised no one is questioning this vet bill. $780 is a ton of money for what sounds like stitches.

Can you post an image of the vet bill to see what you were charged for? This just sounds insane.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bugamol posted:

I'm surprised no one is questioning this vet bill. $780 is a ton of money for what sounds like stitches.

Can you post an image of the vet bill to see what you were charged for? This just sounds insane.

If it is anything like when I had to bring my dog in for a hot spot last month, there is a bunch of money to be spent on several different pills and ointments that came to $450. Add in the stitches and anesthetic plus time, I can see $780 happening really quick. A few years ago a broken toe cost me just under a grand.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Haifisch posted:

Agreeing with this. Selling stuff is good, because it gives you money, reduces clutter, and gives you perspective on how attached you are(or aren't) to your possessions. But you need to be able to meet your budget without selling things.

I'm really, really close to doing this. We're starting to have "stuff" again (and I mean much of it was even bought on budget). It's not overwhelming yet, but there's stuff I'd like to see sold rather than kept. Hey with a yard we can have a garage sale. I'm going to consider that.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Consider letting your mom help with the vet bill, if she offers again. Then demonstrate to her by your actions that the money was both needed and appreciated.

Edit: not to put too fine a point on it, but if you accept money from family, show your gratitude in a simple and thoughtful way, and don't turn around a month later and take a vacation.

Ah... my mom has her own special bag of poo poo when it comes to finances. I'd absolutely be grateful normally, but she's just going to let it sit on a credit card and accrue interest. She's not in any position at all to take on a cent more debt; not until she gets her life together again. I respect the offer, but I don't want to see her worse off than she is. Plus it is our dog that did it. I'll let her take on some antibiotics or something if she needs a refill, but if nothing else I'll just convince her it's because she's been watching our boy on Fridays for 3 months.

Bugamol posted:

No my mom has the bill not me. I didn't find out until the next day after she had taken her to the vet. I have no idea where she went, but I don't know why it's so expensive. However regardless of why or where or whatever we're still culpable for the situation in the first place.

Droo posted:

If you never paid anything on any of the medical bills, then I believe the expiration date would be 6 years from the date you actually had the procedure done.

Also:

(6) Service Upon Individuals.  In all other cases to the defendant personally, or by leaving copies thereof at the defendant’s dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein, or by delivering a copy of the summons and complaint to an agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service of process (http://www.leg.state.nv.us/courtrules/nrcp.html)

Never a dime. I was unemployed as the company I worked for went under.

Hm the only part that concerns me is the appointment by law to receive or service process. However that does seem like overall great news, and absolutely takes much of that worry away.

Thanks that's a relief overall.

Prob can't get to anything else until later. Finishing up a project.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Antifreeze Head posted:

If it is anything like when I had to bring my dog in for a hot spot last month, there is a bunch of money to be spent on several different pills and ointments that came to $450. Add in the stitches and anesthetic plus time, I can see $780 happening really quick. A few years ago a broken toe cost me just under a grand.

Yeah, and if it was an emergency vet on the weekend, things get inflated fast.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, and if it was an emergency vet on the weekend, things get inflated fast.
I'm glad my vet is cheap and open 7 days a week.

KG, Why did your dog attack a dog it has been around before? And why were you unable to stop the attack???! My 105lbs gf took a 160lbs Mastiff to the ground within seconds of the Mastiff attacking our friends lab, and the resulting bill was $100 or so at an emergency clinic over 4th of July. No stitches needed, because of acting quickly and being aware of what a poorly trained and behaved dog may do... Gf's folks (owners of Mastiff) are in complete denial and do nothing that their trainer has told them to do, and act surprised when this happens..at least once a year with various dogs.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

KG, Why did your dog attack a dog it has been around before? And why were you unable to stop the attack???! My 105lbs gf took a 160lbs Mastiff to the ground within seconds of the Mastiff attacking our friends lab, and the resulting bill was $100 or so at an emergency clinic over 4th of July. No stitches needed, because of acting quickly and being aware of what a poorly trained and behaved dog may do... Gf's folks (owners of Mastiff) are in complete denial and do nothing that their trainer has told them to do, and act surprised when this happens..at least once a year with various dogs.

Ya... This is basically what I was trying to get at too.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

We were up in the mountains, and it happened out of view as they were off leash. I had no idea our dog would actually attack another dog, as historically she's generally been fine with her minus some pestering on walks. By the time we knew anything was wrong it was too late. We'll definitely be more cautious with her interactions in the future.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 20, 2015

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

slap me silly posted:

No. Don't start the "get rid of pets" thing again.

Even when one of them has attacked another familiar dog and there's a baby in the house? This isn't about getting rid of the dog because it's expensive, it's about protecting their baby from a poorly trained dog that has aggression problems.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And this is a finance thread, not a dog behavior thread. If Knyteguy wants to discuss that stuff he can get all the feedback he bargained for and more over in Pussy Control.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

We were up in the mountains, and it happened out of view as they were off leash. I had no idea our dog would actually attack another dog, as historically she's generally been fine with her minus some pestering on walks. By the time we knew anything was wrong it was too late. We'll definitely be more cautious with her interactions in the future.
Which dog was it? Maybe you need to work her more. I'm surprised about the friendly dog attack though. I'm not saying you need to get rid of her, but I think the situation needs work. You don't ever roughhouse/wrestle with your dogs do you? You should never, ever do that, especially with one who is violent and high strung.

We don't let our pit off leash when we're in places that the lab is off leash, we just put her on the flexi leash so she can go sniff around further away from us. TBF she has never once attacked a dog or human, but she was severely abused for the first ~5yrs of her life and she barks in terror at strangers (and my best friend, who has been around her hundreds of hours over the last 4yrs... He must be sketch!) and it can scare them, so being able to correct her easily is a plus.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Sig it was our Aussie (the smaller dog @ ~35 lbs). I think I'll consider keeping her leashed on walks with other dogs besides our other dogs (who is twice her size at least).

Out of respect for SMS's post above which I appreciate, I'm not gonna talk further about dogs (one of the reasons I didn't want to post what happened, also). Be assured that we have taken other aggressive scenarios into consideration.

Here's where August is kind of at:

I changed utilities, fuel, pets, and household goods to equal our 3 month average from YNAB. Cut $60 from discretionary, and added $60 in vacation. I fixed some YNAB tomfoolery off screen, reset the pet budget (we've been carrying over negative balances each month), and added $100 in vet expenses to make up for the lost vet bill. I then readded $400 to the emergency fund to try to make up for that pet bill.

Considering that of the $510/mo payment towards the car roughly $277 of the payment is towards the principal, that on top of the $1,300 additional payment we'll be making on the first will mean that we're taking about $1,550 from the principal in August. That will bring us down to about $21,500 on the car.

This isn't final, but it should be close. I usually 0 out some categories that have excess at the end of the month, so it may actually be more.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

slap me silly posted:

And this is a finance thread, not a dog behavior thread. If Knyteguy wants to discuss that stuff he can get all the feedback he bargained for and more over in Pussy Control.

I'm not saying he needs to rehome the dogs or train them differently or anything like that. I'm addressing the financial impact of owning a dog.

Knyte's renter's insurance may actually cover dog bites. These are usually only good if the attack happens at home but since it was just your family and mom out for a walk... the attack happened later in your yard, didn't it?

If your renter's insurance does not cover canine liability you may want to look into an umbrella policy in the future to address that concern specifically.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's fine but don't encourage him to commit insurance fraud :D

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Insurance fraud and the aftermath would make for a good episode of Everybody Loves Knyteguy.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I still don't think you have the time and energy for an aussie. i'm lounging around with my feet up rn and putting off getting some work done and I don't have the time and energy for an aussie.

The only aussie worth having around a child is an aussie who has decided the child is their responsibility. My mother's aussie/border mix has decided, on her own, i might add, that All Children are under her purview, so she is content with a flock of kid(s) to look after. Otherwise you need sheep or ducks. They are loving working dogs, respect that.

Full disclosure, I own an aussie/great pyrenees mix and she's still a puppy and therefore a fuckin' handful sometimes, but I knew what I was getting into (never off the leash in an unsupervised area, jeez). You clearly didn't. You mentioned that she'd be much happier at a farm that you visited a while ago and I know we're not supposed to suggest rehoming but please think about what's best for your doge (and this includes how sensitive and bonded they are with you).

Post pictures of your dogge so we can say aww how cute too.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aargh, stop it! Don't make me start swinging the probe-hammer. But, yeah, doge pics are welcome

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Stop spending money. You need to realize that you can't spend money on fun until you can follow a budget. You come up with some crazy idea every day it seems like. Stop that. Spend the money you have allowed and no more! No more schemes, no more plots, spend the money you are allowed and be done with it. Do this for six months (do it for one month realistically...) And then maybe you can start thinking about vacations and side business and anything else. You want to pay off that car it seems like. Think about every dollar you spend over your allowed, you are stealing from your yourself. A dollar or a soda is one less dollar to get out of debt or have for your child. You have to get it through your head.

I am realizing why I stopped reading this thread, one step forward and three steps back all the time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I am realizing why I stopped reading this thread, one step forward and three steps back all the time.
Um excuse me he said the vacation is non-negotiable. Please don't lecture him on non-negotiable items. Thanks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Knyteguy's Finances: 118 pages and still can't follow a budget

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

slap me silly posted:

Aargh, stop it! Don't make me start swinging the probe-hammer. But, yeah, doge pics are welcome

i've been reading (posting?) in this thread for a loving year, i demand dog pics

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This poo poo confuses me. I took a ferry for a weekend using a living social deal, had breakfast covered for 2 nights for 250$. the ferry was $60. Throw in maybe another $100 for a nice dinner and some lunches.

if you are on a tight budget just save and grab a living social deal when you have a chance. Aren't you near lake tahoe? I can't imagine there aren't deals during the summer for cheap cabins for you to get a few days of relaxation.

If you are trying to visit you family you may just need to suck it up and stay with them. I understand that everyone needs a weekend here and there but you need to do it very frugally.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 20, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inverse Icarus posted:

Insurance fraud and the aftermath would make for a good episode of Everybody Loves Knyteguy.

I'm never gonna get laid! :negative:

*laugh track*

Quantum Finger posted:

I still don't think you have the time and energy for an aussie. i'm lounging around with my feet up rn and putting off getting some work done and I don't have the time and energy for an aussie.

The only aussie worth having around a child is an aussie who has decided the child is their responsibility. My mother's aussie/border mix has decided, on her own, i might add, that All Children are under her purview, so she is content with a flock of kid(s) to look after. Otherwise you need sheep or ducks. They are loving working dogs, respect that.

Full disclosure, I own an aussie/great pyrenees mix and she's still a puppy and therefore a fuckin' handful sometimes, but I knew what I was getting into (never off the leash in an unsupervised area, jeez). You clearly didn't. You mentioned that she'd be much happier at a farm that you visited a while ago and I know we're not supposed to suggest rehoming but please think about what's best for your doge (and this includes how sensitive and bonded they are with you).

Post pictures of your dogge so we can say aww how cute too.

To try to stay within the rules here, I definitely will be cautious moving forward, and will take steps to ensure we're better meeting her needs and our responsibilities.

I'm all down for some pics though!

Training Video (kinda)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybC2mYSDLo0

I was being mean here and put her in a chair

Tug of War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETnWAmSaUQ

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Stop spending money. You need to realize that you can't spend money on fun until you can follow a budget. You come up with some crazy idea every day it seems like. Stop that. Spend the money you have allowed and no more! No more schemes, no more plots, spend the money you are allowed and be done with it. Do this for six months (do it for one month realistically...) And then maybe you can start thinking about vacations and side business and anything else. You want to pay off that car it seems like. Think about every dollar you spend over your allowed, you are stealing from your yourself. A dollar or a soda is one less dollar to get out of debt or have for your child. You have to get it through your head.

I believe we've had quite a few months where we did well, and really since January we've been doing pretty alright. I mean we paid for our kid's birth in full and including that, and the $780 vet bill, we've still raised our net worth about $1,000/mo since January. I need to continue to work on my budgeting skills and will continue to do so, but I'm not perfect with it and I may never be. I will try to work with and avoid my shortcomings as much as I can moving forward. I think I've taken some steps in the right direction, and will continue to try to take steps in the right direction, to try to avoid that in the future.

I do like my crazy ideas though I'll give you guys that. Before posting I did look into it, and some lawyer forum mentioned (often, according to the post) moving your assets to someone else's name pre-judgement to protect against a bank levy. I didn't come up with that one all on my own. Others mentioned an LLC bank account instead.

e: feel free to call me out if my thought process is off here.

Tigntink posted:

This poo poo confuses me. I took a ferry for a weekend using a living social deal, had breakfast and dinner covered for 2 nights for 250$. the ferry was $60. Throw in maybe another $100 for a nice dinner and some lunches.

if you are on a tight budget just save and grab a living social deal when you have a chance. Aren't you near lake tahoe? I can't imagine there aren't deals during the summer for cheap cabins for you to get a few days of relaxation.

If you are trying to visit you family you may just need to suck it up and stay with them. I understand that everyone needs a weekend here and there but you need to do it very frugally.

Yeah we're talking less than this or around it at least. I have a mental note of like $200 in my head or so. I'll budget better when I know for sure what we're doing. Probably $250 max. We're only doing like 1.5 days and 1 night. I'd like to do a bigger trip, but we'll wait on that a little longer. Having $60 in the vacation budget every month will help.

As I said with the vacation it's needed. If I get poo poo on for it then I get poo poo on for it. We'll be taking a (very reasonable) vacation in August. We're either going to go to Sacramento or Lake Tahoe. I want to eat at Joe's Crab Shack, so probably Sacramento. There's a comedy club and a bunch of stuff to do right near that restaurant in downtown Sac, and then we'll either stay at her mom's in Rocklin or get a cheap motel. What's cool is not drinking will probably cut like $25 off each meal we go out for.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 20, 2015

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
KG, did your mom pay the bill up front and you paid her back after? I would worry that she paid with a cc, and then treated your money as a windfall. My mom would, but I guess if so there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Also, besides being an e-vet bill, I wonder if her dog was up to date on vax. Most vets won't treat an animal that isn't and will force vax on them, adding to the bill.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Your dog is super cute. But why are you planning a trip around eating at a Joes Crab Shack? Out of all the confusing things this tread has contained, this has to be the biggest mystery of them all!

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

KG, did your mom pay the bill up front and you paid her back after? I would worry that she paid with a cc, and then treated your money as a windfall. My mom would, but I guess if so there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Also, besides being an e-vet bill, I wonder if her dog was up to date on vax. Most vets won't treat an animal that isn't and will force vax on them, adding to the bill.

Er yeah I threw in there "but I want to see that money put onto your credit card". I may even just pay her by putting it back onto her credit card, so any sort of financial irresponsibility there will not be enabled by me. The dog definitely had all her shots, my mom is really great at taking care of her animals.

Iron Lung posted:

Your dog is super cute. But why are you planning a trip around eating at a Joes Crab Shack? Out of all the confusing things this tread has contained, this has to be the biggest mystery of them all!

Thanks. Haha, well I have some good memories from eating there with some family way back, and every time my wife and I go to Sacramento we end up eating somewhere else because of the lines. For better or for worse I want to eat a drat bucket of crab this time though. The comedy club right across the street would actually be the main draw; that's something we can't do with a baby or kid.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

So if it happened out of view how do you know your dog instigated the fight and that it wasn't fending off an attack from the other dog? The whole story sounds like "I spent $780 on something I don't want the thread to know about so I'm saying "vet bill"".

I'm cynical about this thread at this point however.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I will grant that you have made some progress this year. Getting an e funds is great, you were living on the edge. Now to see how you actually tackle the debt.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

So if it happened out of view how do you know your dog instigated the fight and that it wasn't fending off an attack from the other dog? The whole story sounds like "I spent $780 on something I don't want the thread to know about so I'm saying "vet bill"".

I'm cynical about this thread at this point however.

Well I've went through every scenario in my head, and the only likely scenario was our dog biting her. She had been messing with her the entire walk the same as every walk, she's been known to scruff her, and the other dog is a Jack Russel Terrier so our dog wouldn't be fending her off. She's too small to do anything, and I heard the yelps none of them were from our dog. There's a minute chance it was a coyote, but I believe a coyote would've killed her rather than injured her. I'd say 99% chance it was our dog at fault.

I don't have anything to prove (except to myself and my family) or hide. What the hell would be the point?

Here's this picture my mom sent me anyway:

That's a drainage tube not some thing like is in meat sometimes (my initial thought). She got pretty beat up.

spwrozek posted:

I will grant that you have made some progress this year. Getting an e funds is great, you were living on the edge. Now to see how you actually tackle the debt.

Thank you. I believe I'll tackle debt better than I've been at saving. Again July has been good too, so there's some positive things to look forward to very soon.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Jack Russells are lovely nervous bitey aggressive dogs in my experience. I watched one attack my doberman and almost rip my dogs throat open. Never assume size means dick.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Well I've went through every scenario in my head, and the only likely scenario was our dog biting her. She had been messing with her the entire walk the same as every walk, she's been known to scruff her, and the other dog is a Jack Russel Terrier so our dog wouldn't be fending her off. She's too small to do anything, and I heard the yelps none of them were from our dog. There's a minute chance it was a coyote, but I believe a coyote would've killed her rather than injured her. I'd say 99% chance it was our dog at fault.

I don't have anything to prove (except to myself and my family) or hide. What the hell would be the point?

Here's this picture my mom sent me anyway:

That's a drainage tube not some thing like is in meat sometimes (my initial thought). She got pretty beat up.

Thank you. I believe I'll tackle debt better than I've been at saving. Again July has been good too, so there's some positive things to look forward to very soon.

Does your tenant's insurance cover dog bites or not? If so, is that only on premises or does their canine liability coverage follow you (or the dog) around the same way personal liability coverage does?

You have called them to see if you can avoid spending nearly a thousand dollars out of pocket, right?

Right?

right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Knyteguy posted:

She had been messing with her the entire walk the same as every walk, she's been known to scruff her...

Why the gently caress would you or your mom let either dog off leash in this situation ?!?! Unsupervised?!? Never do this again.

Also: this is a lot more than stitches. That dog basically had a surgical procedure. There will be follow ups to remove the drain and close the wound and then remove the stitches and antibiotics and on and on.

Yeesh KG.

Edit: yeah it was a stupid mistake, but I'm going to harp on it because you have a kid now and this is the time to think before your actions.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread