Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is there an easy way I could start an Ottoman game and become a republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Tahirovic posted:

Is there an easy way I could start an Ottoman game and become a republic?

No, you either let revolutionaries break your country or westernize and then lose territory to under 20 provinces and unlock 2 idea groups to use conversion through decisions.
E: ottoman tech can do it without westernizing

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a reliable way to get revolutionaries? I can never seem to get them when I want them. And I ALWAYS want them, because a Republic is better than a Kingdom any day.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Person posted:

Is there a reliable way to get revolutionaries? I can never seem to get them when I want them. And I ALWAYS want them, because a Republic is better than a Kingdom any day.

Religious events has spawns some pretty frequently. There's a few ultra-rare events that also make you a republic.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Religious events has spawns some pretty frequently. There's a few ultra-rare events that also make you a republic.

another feather in the hat for religious, the second best idea group

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How do I change from one republic type (the one I imported as ) to another, if my country's super huge?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilmiera posted:

How do I change from one republic type (the one I imported as ) to another, if my country's super huge?

You can tank your RT and then take Religious and let the eventual Revolutionary rebels win to get to regular republic from Merchant republic. Merchant is the best though by far so IDK why you'd bother.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Admin republic is pretty great if you expect to be conquering. That autonomy reduction is huge.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Another Person posted:

Admin republic is pretty great if you expect to be conquering. That autonomy reduction is huge.

It's what I wanted for my Ottoman game but guess it's too tricky to change to that. Maybe I'll just try an other nation to get an achievement on the way to the 1mil manpower one.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

quote:

This thread is why people think Keynesianism works. They don't understand hidden costs and opportunity costs.

Those wacky paradox forums :laughtrack:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Node posted:

What? You need more than Breda from Brabrant, Burgundy's junior PU partner. You need Utretch, Gelre, and Friesland too.

I said it was the one province you needed from Burgundy, not the one province you needed. The rest are OPMs and you have France as an ally.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Another Person posted:

Take out 50 loans and go under 0 stability and revolutionaries will start ticking up until you hit 3 stability. Go bankrupt and they'll really start coming. Remember that they only show up starting at 1750.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

TTBF posted:

Take out 50 loans and go under 0 stability and revolutionaries will start ticking up until you hit 3 stability. Go bankrupt and they'll really start coming. Remember that they only show up starting at 1750.

I imagine he wants them before the game is over

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I thought the last 20 years or so of my Bohemia game would be waiting for the clock to tick out and occasionally having someone try to pull me into a war with another Indonesian minor. Then the King of Italy dies and unless I contest France picks them up in a personal union. I really do not look forward to seiging down multiple level 8 forts :(

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Average Bear posted:

I imagine he wants them before the game is over

As far as I know that's the limitation on when they show up.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Well, nothing like a good coalition war against France and Scandinavia to cap off a play session. As long as I can hold onto my British possessions I'll have the achievement in the bag.

Borders update:

Still hideous, now featuring ex-Polish France in eastern Europe.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is westernization really necessary for a muslim? I could do it now, but the cost is very high, Im in doubt.

What are the advantages exactly, besides cheaper techs?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It used to be that nonwestern units were all poo poo in the mid and late game but they rebalanced them a while back so tech groups have roughly similar pips. Anatolians don't need to westernize. I don't know about Muslims.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is westernization really necessary for a muslim? I could do it now, but the cost is very high, Im in doubt.

What are the advantages exactly, besides cheaper techs?

Cheaper techs are all there is.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Luigi Thirty posted:

It used to be that nonwestern units were all poo poo in the mid and late game but they rebalanced them a while back so tech groups have roughly similar pips. Anatolians don't need to westernize. I don't know about Muslims.
Doesn't military stay the same tech that you started off, though? At least in my Aztec game I'm still getting American units after westernizing.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Westernizing is basically free for Anatolians(And Eastern) now if you they take Danzig, Prague or Wien

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I finally wrapped up my Tabarestan This is Persia game last night. It was pretty easy going once I actually formed Persia and managed to ally with an equally huge Lithuania, but holy crap did I underestimate how much time it takes to actually take all of the Otto's land from them. It took like 4.5 full wars to finally grab all of Greece, Anatolia, and Egypt. It would've taken a full 5 but Lithuania managed to get into a war with Austria in the middle of one of my truces with the Ottomans (Austria's ally) and then kindly released Greece after I had taken all of the Ottoman's lands. The way things started off I figured I'd be done by the early 1700's, but instead it took until ~1780.

Also the AE a country's built up against you really needs to disappear if you vassalize them. Or at least get reduced by 50% or something. I vassalized a small country near Egypt at one point because they had like 3 provinces I needed without realizing that they had a shitload of AE against me because I had beaten up on Ethiopia for like 100 years while getting a foothold in the area. They had a -350 net opinion of me thanks to AE, so I had to wait like 70+ years just to be able to vassalize them, which actually ended up being the last thing I needed for the achievement.

I've said it before but I kind of hope AE gets at least a slight reworking. It seems way, way too easy to pile up an AE penalty in the hundreds against nations that you've never even been at war with, especially in the lategame when you get Imperialism and everyone's provinces are really developed.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Gort posted:

And denying the "primitives" CB from exploration if you're masochistic enough to play native Americans.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Gort posted:

There's also trade companies. Somewhat niche but a Muslim coloniser/Merchant Republic might want them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Obliterati posted:

There's also trade companies. Somewhat niche but a Muslim coloniser/Merchant Republic might want them.

Hum, its exactly my case.

But as I understand, I cant make trade companies anyway because Im in Asia (arabian penninsula)?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

VDay posted:

I've said it before but I kind of hope AE gets at least a slight reworking. It seems way, way too easy to pile up an AE penalty in the hundreds against nations that you've never even been at war with, especially in the lategame when you get Imperialism and everyone's provinces are really developed.

I just got hit in the face with AE in my Tab game too, its definitely higher this patch. Mamluks had all of Anatolia but Greece is Albania, Epirus, Wallachia, Venice, and The Knights. I'll post ugly_borders.jpg later. My new Ottoman vassal still has Constantinople but only one other province. Even returning Morea and Athens to the Ottomans gives enough AE to get Lithuania, Poland, Castile, Aragon and Austria wanting to coalition me. And I still have a pile of AE in the east from eating my way to India. I should be done with the Mamluks for the rest of Egypt and Anatolia well before 1700. I might just have to take all of Greece in one set of wars and core it before the coalition tries to smack me.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Playing Manchu. Finally managed to break Ming and take what I needed to form Qing. Muscovy declares war just as I wrap up, refuses any offers for peace for like 10 years. Finally offers peace, I have to accept it or get stabhit.

gently caress you forever, Muscovy.

It's not the end of the world, of course. They can't actually reach it so I'll just fund rebels until it flips. But, seriously? They have absolutely no reason to take that other than "gently caress you player, you need this to form Qing so I am taking it."

Oh, EU4 :allears:

Edit:

What- I don't- :negative:

Samolety fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 20, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Samolety posted:

Playing Manchu. Finally managed to break Ming and take what I needed to form Qing. Muscovy declares war just as I wrap up, refuses any offers for peace for like 10 years. Finally offers peace, I have to accept it or get stabhit.

gently caress you forever, Muscovy.

It's not the end of the world, of course. They can't actually reach it so I'll just fund rebels until it flips. But, seriously? They have absolutely no reason to take that other than "gently caress you player, you need this to form Qing so I am taking it."

Oh, EU4 :allears:

This is actually the best evidence I have ever seen that the AI sometimes acts 100% out of spite, like those times they intentionally get a stack of troops killed because they're desperately trying to reach your one mothballed fort (which is miles away from anything important) because they know that if they flip it they can set up a garrison and make it loving annoying to flip back.

E:

You should probably bug report that, it seems broken.
On a not particularly related note, apparently some weird poo poo can happen with Songhai close to the start date, due to the fact that their monarch and heir are both old as gently caress. I've had 3 stab hits in 5 years from having my heir die and replaced with another 60 year old, then the king dies, etc. :negative:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 20, 2015

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
In case anyone was curious:

:rock:

If I had to guess what happened with Muscovy, I'd say they took the province due to "gently caress the player" programming and then gave it back due to "I can't core this poo poo" programming.

Samolety fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 20, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Samolety posted:

If I had to guess what happened with Muscovy, I'd say they took the province due to "gently caress the player" programming and then gave it back due to "I can't core this poo poo" programming.
Wiz has somehow made the AI understand long-term planning, and decided the only use would be to make the AI better at frustrating your plans and not create and carry out ones of its own.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm thinking of attempting The Sunset Invasion. I've never played as the primitives before. What are some things I should know before starting?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Node posted:

I'm thinking of attempting The Sunset Invasion. I've never played as the primitives before. What are some things I should know before starting?

Playing as the Aztecs is pretty much a totally new game from what you might be used to. You exist in an endless cycle of warring your neighbors, vassalizing them, pushing through a reform, losing all of the vassals and then doing it all again. All while trying to keep your doom down, which honestly is a lot easier now than it was when El Dorado first dropped. It is actually a lot of fun because you will end up with AE in the hundreds and it doesn't really matter. I had a lot of fun with my Aztec play through but it was before the development stuff and it sounds like it might be a lot more difficult now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Giggle Goose posted:

Playing as the Aztecs is pretty much a totally new game from what you might be used to. You exist in an endless cycle of warring your neighbors, vassalizing them, pushing through a reform, losing all of the vassals and then doing it all again. All while trying to keep your doom down, which honestly is a lot easier now than it was when El Dorado first dropped. It is actually a lot of fun because you will end up with AE in the hundreds and it doesn't really matter. I had a lot of fun with my Aztec play through but it was before the development stuff and it sounds like it might be a lot more difficult now.

I played a few games in South America, when 99% of your provinces are mountain you can basically forget about development :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

You can tank your RT and then take Religious and let the eventual Revolutionary rebels win to get to regular republic from Merchant republic. Merchant is the best though by far so IDK why you'd bother.

Well I'm mostly bored of playing it, and wanted to see my nation evolve or change a bit. And I wanted to try out some of the new mechanics in Common Sense.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

RabidWeasel posted:

This is actually the best evidence I have ever seen that the AI sometimes acts 100% out of spite, like those times they intentionally get a stack of troops killed because they're desperately trying to reach your one mothballed fort (which is miles away from anything important) because they know that if they flip it they can set up a garrison and make it loving annoying to flip back.

Insane wars definitely happened in history due to spite, hubris and tons of other human failings. I just think of all the times I've made a mistake in the game without realizing it and then just bury my face in my hands and take a wicked stab hit on purpose to fix things as a reminder that just like the AI, I can be stupid sometimes as well.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I'm playing Ironman, is there any way to find out what the gently caress my vassal is struggling with? I've had them as a march for ~80 years now and they haven't gotten a single new level of admin tech in all that time (they're at 16 adm/20 dip/23 mil, they ought to be around level 24-26 in all three). They're also at -3 stability and have been for decades, and it took them ages to core the provinces I gave them. I haven't given them any more land for a while now, but they're not recovering.

I've been subsidising them, so they shouldn't be struggling with money. They're fielding decent armies, actually far larger than their force limits. They occasionally get some rebels, but those are quickly put down with a little help from me. So why does it seem like they haven't gotten a single admin point in nearly a century? Their current leader is 3/3/1, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Apoffys posted:

I'm playing Ironman, is there any way to find out what the gently caress my vassal is struggling with? I've had them as a march for ~80 years now and they haven't gotten a single new level of admin tech in all that time (they're at 16 adm/20 dip/23 mil, they ought to be around level 24-26 in all three). They're also at -3 stability and have been for decades, and it took them ages to core the provinces I gave them. I haven't given them any more land for a while now, but they're not recovering.

I've been subsidising them, so they shouldn't be struggling with money. They're fielding decent armies, actually far larger than their force limits. They occasionally get some rebels, but those are quickly put down with a little help from me. So why does it seem like they haven't gotten a single admin point in nearly a century? Their current leader is 3/3/1, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Are they massively overextended? If you overfeed a vassal they will fall into a death spiral of stab hitting events, and the AI prioritises being at 0 stab over coring provinces or tech. So it will stay in stab hit city over and over. Never overfeed a vassal.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 20, 2015

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Another Person posted:

Are they massively overextended? If you overfeed a vassal they will fall into a death spiral of stab hitting events, and the AI prioritises being at 0 stab over coring provinces or tech. So it will stay in stab hit city over and over. Never overfeed a vassal.

That's probably what happened then, they got a good bit of land when I first created them. They haven't gotten any land in decades though, and all their stuff is cored now (it just took ages). Shouldn't they eventually snap out of it, since they must be at 0 overextension?

Speaking of, is there an easy way to see how much overextension someone has?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Apoffys posted:

That's probably what happened then, they got a good bit of land when I first created them. They haven't gotten any land in decades though, and all their stuff is cored now (it just took ages). Shouldn't they eventually snap out of it, since they must be at 0 overextension?

You can check the current unrest in a province. You get +1% unrest per 20% overextension. Also are you playing 1.12 and is your vassal holland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apoffys posted:

I know there's a lot of info about the AI out there but it's hidden away in ledgers or you have to extrapolate based on other factors. I don't ever feel dirty pausing and tag-switching when I want to know something about a country that my country would absolutely know about with even the most basic intelligence network. Most of the time though it's just curiosity.

• Locked thread