Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

In case anyone else is having this problem: I couldn't find truffle worms at all on our tshock server. After loading up a different world in single player I found 15 in 30 minutes. We also have people that are hundreds and hundreds of bats in without a trifold map, and I bet that's related to tshock as well.

If you're having trouble finding items/enemies on a tshock server, try elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Anal Surgery posted:

I built an Adamantium Repeater but Skeletron Prime always beats me, even when I do the "fly high and then fall really far" glitch that makes two of his arms disappear. I've been fighting on on a long skybridge. Is there anything else that makes that fight go faster at least?

Series of platforms is better for Skeletron Prime I think. One of the reasons being that the bombs one of the arms throws only explodes when it hits a block so that arm is useless. Other than that, killing off the melee hands is important, and if you get him down to just the head it's all smooth sailing from there on.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Carsius posted:

I figured that since I got to hard mode a year or so ago, that I would be fine to just start fresh on expert and solo everything.

Not the best idea in the world, though I am slowly progressing. Now I've hit the brain of cthulhu and can't seem to get him down. Any suggestions?

If you've gotten a goblin invasion, you must have a large stack of those spiky balls. Make a small arena made of platforms and spend the majority of the fight just littering the platforms with spiky balls. The brain's small adds bounce back as soon as they hit one so the first part of the fight is absolutely trivial. The second half of the fight is a toss-up between refreshing the balls and pure DPS.

If you got the crimson rod as a drop from the crimson hearts, that weapon will be a big help.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 20, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you happen to have a surplus of pink gel, try making some molotovs. They got nerfed (mostly by now requiring the pink gel) but are still pretty good at loving up the creepers. Spiky balls works too if you have them.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

In case anyone else is having this problem: I couldn't find truffle worms at all on our tshock server. After loading up a different world in single player I found 15 in 30 minutes. We also have people that are hundreds and hundreds of bats in without a trifold map, and I bet that's related to tshock as well.

If you're having trouble finding items/enemies on a tshock server, try elsewhere

I've never used tshock, but I had close to a thousand pixie kills, with plenty of clocks and apples, and somehow I never found a megaphone. I finally gave up and edited a megaphone and a fish finder onto my character. Everything else I've done in the game is legitimate, but I've farmed an Ankh Shield once before, and the fishing gear is busy work and dice rolling.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Anal Surgery posted:

I built an Adamantium Repeater but Skeletron Prime always beats me, even when I do the "fly high and then fall really far" glitch that makes two of his arms disappear. I've been fighting on on a long skybridge. Is there anything else that makes that fight go faster at least?

Skeletron Prime is, in my opinion, easier in a box arena (a big square with several layers of platforms) rather than a skybridge arena. Prime likes to sweep his chainsaw hand and grabbo pincer hand horizontally, and it's a lot easier to dodge those when you've got platforms above and below to jump/drop to. Also the bombs he launches from his launcher hand don't explode when they hit a platform, only when they hit a solid block, so if your arena is all platforms, 100% of his bombs will drop through your arena and explode harmlessly underneath you.

What accessories are you using? My 100% required accessories are specter or lightning boots for speed, wings for mobility, and a cobalt or obsidian shield for knockback immunity. Your last two can be to taste, for a ranged setup like an adamantium repeater I would like a Ranger Emblem from the wall of flesh, and maybe a magic quiver if you've got one or a Charm of Myths if you don't.

What ammo are you using? Ichor arrows if your world has crimson or Holy arrows if it doesn't are probably your best bets.

Buffs buffs buffs. Put a campfire and a heart lantern in your arena. Put a couple sunflowers nearby. If you've got a heart statue, wire it up to a 1-second repeater. Chug regeneration, swiftness, ironskin, archery potions. If you're up on fishing, add an endurance potion and a wrath or rage one.

Focus one of his arms down first. Skeletron Prime is strongest at the beginning of the fight when he's got all his arms, and weakest at the end. I like to remove the laser arm and chainsaw arm first. The bomb launcher arm is 100% harmless if you're standing on a platform, so ignore it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I beat Skeletron Prime using a minecart track. It let me keep him in yoyo distance then book it when I needed too.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PSA: if you've built stuff on the Dungeon entrance, it may cause the cultists not to appear. Good news is, (re)moving it can fix it!

I had pre-emptively set up a teleporter network which included the dungeon steps as a stop and apparently it was in the spot where the cultists show up so we never saw them. I couldn't figure out why until I moved it out of the way and presto they showed up!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If it helps here's my strategy for the mechanical trio with early hardmode equipment:

I just used a small about one screen long and one screen high platform bridge to kill all three mechanical bosses. Just rigged a star statue and couple heart statues, a honey bubble, some heart lanterns and campfires. For weapons I just had the Amarok and Golden Shower at first, and later incorporated the Flamethrower when I beat the first two. I mostly had the Yoyo bag and movement stuff for accessories (wings, frostpark boots,etc).

For buffs, I'm incredibly cheap so I used the reusable furniture buffs (the Crystal ball, Sharpener and Ammo box stuff) and nothing else. For healing I didn't even bother with Greater healing, just regular H.Potions but thanks to the heart statues I didn't even use many. For the destroyer you just shred him and avoid the main body, killing any probes as soon as they pop out. For the other two just keep flying and moving around them, making sure to run through the sky platform to pick up your hearts and stars. I didn't have a single problem and I even faced the twins on a blood moon because it was like the third bloodmoon on a row and I was getting impatient. I didn't bother about Skeletron's arms and just attacked the head, and for the Twins just make sure to kill the laser one last as he's mostly harmless.

I'm not sure but I think you don't need the shortest timers for your heart statues, there's a cooldown so you can just use the cheapest timer. I did the same with the small gel farm I made to refill my Flamethrower (just one slime statue but it drops more Gel than I will ever use)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if you fail to kill the hardmode bosses when they spawn randomly at night, do they show up again or do you have to summon them with an item at that point?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
According to the wiki they'll continue to spawn randomly until they're killed for the first time. It's only a 10% chance each night though so making the summoning items is a much more reliable way to fight them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Internet Kraken posted:

So if you fail to kill the hardmode bosses when they spawn randomly at night, do they show up again or do you have to summon them with an item at that point?

They'll keep harassing you every now and then until you defeat them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally got a Nazar and then about 30-45min later I got a bandage from an angler (most of the time spent making a big bowl to drain a bunch of water in to). Ankh Shield acquired and only took a couple reforges to get +4 defense. :toot:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
1.3.0.6 is live. RIP Moon Lord lava cheese. And potentially the Stardust Dragon.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

1.3.0.6 Changelog posted:

Fixed certain issues with the Stardust Dragon's damage and rebalanced him to be more in line with other minions
Dammit.

R.I.P. most overpowered weapon in the game. :smith:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
welp, time to just summon 3 stardust cells instead on every non-summoner

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Doesn't seem that bad of a nerf, unless you used him to kill bosses.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So it's still going to be worth being a summoner right? Because for pure damage the setup seems to rarely, if ever, compete with melee or even ranged players. Though I'm still using the Twins summon and have no idea when I'd get the Sharknado or UFO minion to replace them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

You can now hide the Moon Charm and Neptune Shell's effects...or put them in vanity!

loving finally.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Evil Fluffy posted:

So it's still going to be worth being a summoner right? Because for pure damage the setup seems to rarely, if ever, compete with melee or even ranged players. Though I'm still using the Twins summon and have no idea when I'd get the Sharknado or UFO minion to replace them.

Even on expert I feel like Spider does more DPS than Twins. Summoner hits kind of a slump mid-hard mode, but as soon as you can get Raven/Nado/Ufo/Cells Summoner's DPS skyrockets. I probably wouldn't use Summoner outside of (co-op) multiplayer though, since it's such a glass cannon.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think it did as much damage as the other specs when comparing top end gear, the advantage was that pretty much all your damage became autonomous so you could focus 100% on doing other things like not dying instead of worrying about being in melee range or getting a good aim for your gun/magic/thrown stuff

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you can be a werewolf even during the day :buddy:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Metrohunter posted:

I don't think it did as much damage as the other specs when comparing top end gear, the advantage was that pretty much all your damage became autonomous so you could focus 100% on doing other things like not dying instead of worrying about being in melee range or getting a good aim for your gun/magic/thrown stuff

Oh you mean like spamming Chlorophyte bullets? Or using the Terrarian?

Good to see the terraria team is ever so fond of kneejerk reactions to fun and different playstyles. Literally the only difference between running around while your dragon wrecks poo poo and holding down the mouse button with chlorophyte bullets is that you have to aim in the general direction with the bullets. I suppose it was bound to happen though, cells shall reign supreme I suppose.

I'm pretty sure the dragon was still behind the curve on damage potential as-is, so I guess if you like being a summoner you're doomed to not-expert or something.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

the balancing factor between stardust and homing bullets is that i have to restock on a stack of chlorophyte bullets every few moonlord kills

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I think invasions target your spawn point, my NPCs are safe in their martian saucer while the invasions spawn on a 25-tile stretch of blocks covered in traps suspended over a sea of lava :)

Also if you're having trouble with the celestial pillars, build some small simple arenas near where the pillars spawn and start putting up banners from the mobs. For the longest time I thought banners were just cosmetic and boy was I wrong! Banners + vampire knives make the pillars a LOT easier.

Finally beat Moon Lord on expert and then 5 times more for good measure, got Last Prism, Star Wrath, Terrarian and the two turret summon staves.

Star Wrath is kind of meh but only because it's melee so I compare it to Terrarian which is just stupidly powerful. Last Prism killed Destroyer in about 2 seconds which was kind of funny compared to how it took me half night the first time. The discolights staff can basically take care of most pillars while I sit in my UFO-car and watch the lightshow.

Good times!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been playing Terraria again, this time in Expert Mode of course, and I'm wondering if there's a good LP yet by someone competent both in terms of decent playing and when it comes to video editing (i.e. no long swaths of digging hellevators). Yrimir does seem like the kind of guy I'd like to see a full playthrough from but alas he only did a short non-Expert gimmick LP so far.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

look you ingrates will run around the moon lord for 15 minutes dodging poorly designed bullet hell while shooting auto-homing bullets/yo-yos/lasers because you don't have time to aim and you will like it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lordfrikk posted:

I've been playing Terraria again, this time in Expert Mode of course, and I'm wondering if there's a good LP yet by someone competent both in terms of decent playing and when it comes to video editing (i.e. no long swaths of digging hellevators). Yrimir does seem like the kind of guy I'd like to see a full playthrough from but alas he only did a short non-Expert gimmick LP so far.

I don't know how good he is, but when looking through youtube videos, I saw Pedguin had an expert run LP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:dance: Found this baby shortly after starting Hardmode. Did they up the biome key drop rates?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

:dance: Found this baby shortly after starting Hardmode. Did they up the biome key drop rates?

No you just got lucky. Like when I fired up 1.3 and got a Slime Staff in like the first 10 slimes I killed only to then decide with my friends that we'd start up a Mediumcore Expert server, and in the interest of being fair I didn't bring the staff :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

No you just got lucky. Like when I fired up 1.3 and got a Slime Staff in like the first 10 slimes I killed only to then decide with my friends that we'd start up a Mediumcore Expert server, and in the interest of being fair I didn't bring the staff :(

Oh. I'm happy I got the key, but I still think the way they were handled was dumb. At least they don't have to be crafted anymore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Even on expert I feel like Spider does more DPS than Twins. Summoner hits kind of a slump mid-hard mode, but as soon as you can get Raven/Nado/Ufo/Cells Summoner's DPS skyrockets. I probably wouldn't use Summoner outside of (co-op) multiplayer though, since it's such a glass cannon.

How were the normal spiders doing more than the twins? You get a pair of twins per summon and their base damage is a fair bit higher. Do the spiders just get stuck on bosses and hit rapid fire?

I might just drop summons and go all in on magic (playing with friends who are doing ranged and melee and we like to keep it diverse). Not sure which spells I'd want for main damage on Plantera though. Drop a queen spider turret, put out 2 nimbus clouds and then either use a harp, golden shower, or demon fork spell I guess.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Well, after 15 new worlds created I'm yet to get a Crimson world. Huh. Also was there a minor patch today?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Well, after 15 new worlds created I'm yet to get a Crimson world. Huh. Also was there a minor patch today?

There was.

Also, pro tip: during world creation if you watch and see "Making the world evil" you got a corruption world. If you see "Making the world bloody" you got a crimson world. Hope that saves some folks some running around in new worlds.

e; oh and apparently also these things according to the wiki:

quote:

- In the PC version, a progress bar is shown while creating a world. Its frame will be green and purple if the world is to contain Corruption, or green and red if it is to contain Crimson.
- Even after world creation you can check if the world is crimson or corruption by checking the color of the tree icon (purple = corrupt, red = crimson) in the world selection screen.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You can also tell by the progress bar being purple or red.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bargain bin Laden posted:

More fixes to invincibility frames so we can't cheese Expert Moon Lord now pretty much. Some other minor adjustments.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Oh you mean like spamming Chlorophyte bullets? Or using the Terrarian?

Good to see the terraria team is ever so fond of kneejerk reactions to fun and different playstyles. Literally the only difference between running around while your dragon wrecks poo poo and holding down the mouse button with chlorophyte bullets is that you have to aim in the general direction with the bullets. I suppose it was bound to happen though, cells shall reign supreme I suppose.

I'm pretty sure the dragon was still behind the curve on damage potential as-is, so I guess if you like being a summoner you're doomed to not-expert or something.

Someone should complain about this stuff to them because wtf does this, dungeon and Helldiving do to shatter the balance of the game?

Chests get locked so you have to progress the way we tell you to because...? Game's fully complete now and this stuff is just tweaks to make sure things work correctly and such so take the locks off already.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

How were the normal spiders doing more than the twins? You get a pair of twins per summon and their base damage is a fair bit higher. Do the spiders just get stuck on bosses and hit rapid fire?

they latch on to things and do constant damage, yes. twins have iffy aim and only slightly more actual damage.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should complain about this stuff to them because wtf does this, dungeon and Helldiving do to shatter the balance of the game?

Chests get locked so you have to progress the way we tell you to because...? Game's fully complete now and this stuff is just tweaks to make sure things work correctly and such so take the locks off already.

Why can't you just get turtle armor in the beginning? I mean you're going to get it eventually anyways just give me a full set in a chest. Why do you have to beat the wall of flesh to enable hardmode? What if I just want to play in hardmode? 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

No Safe Word posted:

There was.

Also, pro tip: during world creation if you watch and see "Making the world evil" you got a corruption world. If you see "Making the world bloody" you got a crimson world. Hope that saves some folks some running around in new worlds.

e; oh and apparently also these things according to the wiki:

:ssh: The map generation bar itself is in the colour of the corruption/world