Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

Well his hair was definitely much too long and he was slightly unshaven, but otherwise he didn't smell or anything.

The BO wafting throughout the halls of the holiday inn were courtesy of the attendees :gonk:

The smell factor is a reason why I've never gone to a con (that and the horror stories of places being too crowded). I'll never understand why people can't take 10 seconds to put on deodorant. It's literally the easiest thing you can do in the morning when you wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Violet_Sky posted:

Holy poo poo, car commercial is right. :stare: This sounds like one of those ads featuring a dead celebrity.

Speaking about songs about dead celebrities, I'm sure Todd will be reviewing Cee-Lo's "Robin Williams" soon enough. I'd imagine that it'd be more meaningful if it weren't a comeback single following career-killing controversy.

Edit: Now that Todd mentions it, there was a period in the 90's where every other song was a tribute song. Huh.

Jimbot posted:

The smell factor is a reason why I've never gone to a con (that and the horror stories of places being too crowded). I'll never understand why people can't take 10 seconds to put on deodorant. It's literally the easiest thing you can do in the morning when you wake up.

The only Con I've ever been to was the San Diego Comic-Con several times ('94, '98 and '08). Maybe it's more of a thing with smaller cons? :shrug: There are a ton of people, though. It was hard for me to wrap my head around the fact the number of people at Comic-Con was 4x the population of the college town I live in.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 20, 2015

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Miss Wallace posted:

hahaha, it's all good. It's my first time going to ConBravo so I think it'll be fun.

For the record, you're one of the few current/former CA people I like so if I do go and I see you I'll respectfully tip my trilby in your direction. ;)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miss Wallace posted:

I reviewed Sinbad: The Battle of the Dark Knights, a film that lost it's leads halfway through and got frankensteined together. Starring Dean Stockwell as a crazy old witch!
http://phelous.com/2015/07/20/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-sinbad-the-battle-of-the-dark-knights/

At first I thought you were talking about one of the old UK Sinbad films from the seventies, which surprised me because I remember them being pretty good,. Well okay they were pretty standard ancienty adventures with stop motion monsters that were all the rage back then.

This one is certainly something.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Jimbot posted:

I've been blessed/cursed with next to no sense of smell, so I don't recall ever smelling con funk. I've actually had friends who I never knew stunk until someone else told me. LOL I do recall someone on a message board once saying I smell liked rotten cheese, so there is that negative to it.

Baka-nin posted:

At first I thought you were talking about one of the old UK Sinbad films from the seventies, which surprised me because I remember them being pretty good,. Well okay they were pretty standard ancienty adventures with stop motion monsters that were all the rage back then.

This one is certainly something.

Isn't it though? I love this movie.

ZeeBoi posted:

For the record, you're one of the few current/former CA people I like so if I do go and I see you I'll respectfully tip my trilby in your direction. ;)

*tips hat* m'lord

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Welp

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Let's discuss whether this was an inevitability, or an act of self-destruction through stupidity on Blip's part.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Well poo poo.

I mean, Blip has been in hospice for a couple years now, so it's hardly surprising, but still. So what is everyone's plan now? Youtube?

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 20, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Right now, the only place that won't be a copyright robot disaster is Vimeo, but that's a $200 annual fee. :(

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Miss Wallace posted:

I reviewed Sinbad: The Battle of the Dark Knights

That ending....my god.

Was expecting the Eddie weenie voice over the top, I will say.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Let's discuss whether this was an inevitability, or an act of self-destruction through stupidity on Blip's part.

I'm going with "inevitability via stupidity". Blip may be more fair-use friendly, but Youtube simply works better in a multitude of ways. I have a way easier time watching videos using Youtube's interface than I ever have on Blip, not to mention in the last few years there were frequent days where no videos on Blip would load for me at all, or would load incredibly slowly. Youtube evolved, Blip didn't.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well drat. Where is everyone supposed to host their videoes now other than YouTube? Vimeo's an option. I guess if you're desperate you can use Dailymotion or something like that.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

poparena posted:

Right now, the only place that won't be a copyright robot disaster is Vimeo, but that's a $200 annual fee. :(

Annointed posted:

Well drat. Where is everyone supposed to host their videoes now other than YouTube? Vimeo's an option. I guess if you're desperate you can use Dailymotion or something like that.

As I mentioned before you can upload pretty much anything to the Internet Archive for free and they don't have any kind of copyright filters, though obviously as a digital library they don't offer any kind of monetization. It would make a good "backup" repository to Youtube and if you get all of your revenue from Patreon it might even be viable as a primary hosting site, though their site is nowhere near as polished as any of the commercial video hosting sites.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 20, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder how SF Debris is going to handle this. He's got stuff going back years, as I expect do a lot of you.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder how SF Debris is going to handle this. He's got stuff going back years, as I expect do a lot of you.

He also had to move off of youtube because Paramount is one of the more zealous protectors of IP.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Like I said in my Nostradamus-esque post, he's screwed. But he has a more than healthy Patreon, so he could go Vimeo, Dailymotion or Screenwave. Or hell, even do that internet archive thing.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

I've been blessed/cursed with next to no sense of smell, so I don't recall ever smelling con funk. I've actually had friends who I never knew stunk until someone else told me. LOL I do recall someone on a message board once saying I smell liked rotten cheese, so there is that negative to it.

Haha! I have this very same condition too, for whatever reason. Probably trained myself not to bother using my nose since it was completely blocked for the first 8 years of my life. Now I've got "selective smell." I can smell things like..dinner cooking, but I can't smell people, whether they smell good or otherwise. Of course it means that I could also smell hideous, but mostly it just has the convenient side effect of avoiding people's BO.

dijon du jour posted:

I'm going with "inevitability via stupidity". Blip may be more fair-use friendly, but Youtube simply works better in a multitude of ways. I have a way easier time watching videos using Youtube's interface than I ever have on Blip, not to mention in the last few years there were frequent days where no videos on Blip would load for me at all, or would load incredibly slowly. Youtube evolved, Blip didn't.

Yeah, it wasn't a great site, but it was our not-great site :(
And to think that I put that vegemite chocolate video on Blip because Youtube was being weird and didn't want to upload it.
I'm going to try Youtube, but I've had bad luck with some content ID in the past. So fingers crossed - otherwise I might just have to shell out for Vimeo, which probably isn't worth it for me since it'll use up all my tiny amount of patreon revenue. Unless I also develop an interest in making video art or something, in which case I can use vimeo to host videos for my artistic practice. Which still doesn't pay, but at least I could say that it furthers my body of work.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 20, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Devol_Tettran posted:

That ending....my god.

Was expecting the Eddie weenie voice over the top, I will say.

I was really in tears, none of that was an exaggeration.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Haha! I have this very same condition too, for whatever reason. Probably trained myself not to bother using my nose since it was completely blocked for the first 8 years of my life. Now I've got "selective smell." I can smell things like..dinner cooking, but I can't smell people, whether they smell good or otherwise. Of course it means that I could also smell hideous, but mostly it just has the convenient side effect of avoiding people's BO.

Oh my gosh, that's exactly me! Like I was trying to explain it to my friends, they didn't get why I couldn't smell really obvious BO but I could smell like rotten garbage. It was like a terrible puzzle.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm going to try Youtube, but I've had bad luck with some content ID in the past. So fingers crossed

Here's what I've found through wrestling with Content ID : Any music under twenty seconds has never been flagged for me. I use opening and closing credits songs (much like Zero Punctuation's earliest vids) and they never, ever get flagged because I keep them short. Same goes for video footage, anything under 20 seconds is fine. So if you use cutaway gags keep em short. And use editing to break up clips of whatever you are reviewing. From looking at their stuff, I think that's how Cinemasins does it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Thanks for the content ID advice! I think I'll just have to see how I go. Some of my older edits especially were way too long.

Miss Wallace posted:

Oh my gosh, that's exactly me! Like I was trying to explain it to my friends, they didn't get why I couldn't smell really obvious BO but I could smell like rotten garbage. It was like a terrible puzzle.

I always feel very confused whenever one of those write-ups about "your sense of smell affects your choice of a mate!" comes out. (There are more reputable write-ups from national newspapers/scientific journals, but I'll just link to that one for convenience's sake.) Well, I wonder two things. One - those studies are only ever about heterosexual relationships, so how do they affect people who aren't straight, or cis for that matter? And two...I've got a rubbish sense of smell and the idea of anyone having their own smell, other than just being really unwashed and stinky, is super weird to me.

Unrelated to smell, I'm looking forward to watching that Sinbad video, sounds excellent :D

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Thanks for the content ID advice! I think I'll just have to see how I go. Some of my older edits especially were way too long.

I always feel very confused whenever one of those write-ups about "your sense of smell affects your choice of a mate!" comes out. (There are more reputable write-ups from national newspapers/scientific journals, but I'll just link to that one for convenience's sake.) Well, I wonder two things. One - those studies are only ever about heterosexual relationships, so how do they affect people who aren't straight, or cis for that matter? And two...I've got a rubbish sense of smell and the idea of anyone having their own smell, other than just being really unwashed and stinky, is super weird to me.

Unrelated to smell, I'm looking forward to watching that Sinbad video, sounds excellent :D

Ditto on the content ID thing. Doesn't always work, but I have found it helps.

As for the smell thing, it's a shame because I feel a lot of memories are associated with smell, so there is that small regret there. I love the smell of rain, and I wish I could smell more than I do. But there is that advantage of not caring so much about BO, which is great for smelly friends.

Hope you enjoy the Sinbad vid!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it had been brought up before that Blip's days were numbered when they got purchased previously

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think Blip's days were numbered regardless of who bought it. Has that website ever made a significant profit? It seems like it was surviving off of venture capital and corporate money until Maker decided to pull the plug.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it had been brought up before that Blip's days were numbered when they got purchased previously

Plus it turns out services paid for only in ads is not a sustainable business model. Aren't Pandora and Spotify in the same position?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

My advice would be to do what Kyle's generally been doing. Like, whenever I've modified a clip like that (e.g. sticking it in a lil' box), it's been alright - even if I've used a trailer that's run unedited for a minute or so. Content ID doesn't seem to be able to catch anything like that (to the point where I wonder if SFDebris, say, would actually be OK if he did that - I don't watch his videos, but as long as his editing is OK...). That and the other advice given here - keep the editing fast, don't let clips hang around for too long and so forth.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

My advice would be to do what Kyle's generally been doing. Like, whenever I've modified a clip like that (e.g. sticking it in a lil' box), it's been alright - even if I've used a trailer that's run unedited for a minute or so. Content ID doesn't seem to be able to catch anything like that (to the point where I wonder if SFDebris, say, would actually be OK if he did that - I don't watch his videos, but as long as his editing is OK...). That and the other advice given here - keep the editing fast, don't let clips hang around for too long and so forth.

That's what that was for? That's clever. RLM have been doing the same thing with HitB. Might have to try it myself once I move on from Sonichu.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

poparena posted:

You can get away with Vimeo Plus instead of Pro: https://vimeo.com/upgrade They sometimes even have half price offers.

5GB weekly upload. Easy to stay under, especially if you pre-transcode your stuff to their recommended format.

Downside: no ads to monetize with. So unless you can live off the ads on your site and/or your Patreon, Vimeo's a no-go.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

The more charitable reason: They probably have untreated depression (which they're medicating with pop culture entertainment), to the point that basic hygiene seems like a monumental task.

The less charitable reason: The stank is beyond the powers of any deodorant. It has gained sentience, and will soon take over the shambling meatsack that is its host.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Option 3: Disney is an evil loving corporation, and this is a deliberately evil move:

Maker's new Terms of Service, Section 18 posted:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Puppy Time posted:

The more charitable reason: They probably have untreated depression (which they're medicating with pop culture entertainment), to the point that basic hygiene seems like a monumental task.

The less charitable reason: The stank is beyond the powers of any deodorant. It has gained sentience, and will soon take over the shambling meatsack that is its host.

Puppy Time posted:

Or they mostly stay home, so no reason to shower (in their mind). Or they never got past the stage where their mother bathed them and they are incapable of doing it alone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm honestly worried about Todd, music companies are loving vicious about their music being in any videos that isn't on their vevo channel. I know the guy isn't just uploading the entire song but people have been hit for a 10 second clip of music. Even with patreon money to cover the loss of ad revenue they might just outright mute his entire video or take them down.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

As a fat there is another component to it. A lot of them probably just use normal bar soap or some axe wash, which when you're obese does not cut it. You need some heavy duty body wash to kill the stank causing bacteria in those fat folds. Unfortunately if you get to be fat you likely don't do enough self care to think about that sort of thing.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: When did you last have a wash? and other hygiene tips.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
So, the Irish lads at OSW review have a movie review:

SAMURAI COP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiJC4oDiJc

Oh this is going to be fun.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope everyone in this thread showers regularly.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

So, the Irish lads at OSW review have a movie review:

SAMURAI COP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiJC4oDiJc

Oh this is going to be fun.

I didn't even know I wanted this. Love OSW!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

littleorv posted:

I hope everyone in this thread showers regularly.

And remember deodorant. That's a very important step to prevent you from smelling only two hours after a shower.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

I didn't even know I wanted this. Love OSW!

I now need to see them reviewing Miami Connection.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Miss Wallace posted:

hahaha, it's all good. It's my first time going to ConBravo so I think it'll be fun.

Hopefully this year won't be a repeat of last year where the convention center A/C was "broken" (but hey, 3 dollar bottles of water and perpetually empty water service, funny that). Not the con's fault though; they do a pretty good job running things from what I've seen.

Last year was jokingly called JonBravo because whenever JonTron had an event large portions of the con center became a ghost town. I think the guest distribution is a bit more even this year so that should help the crowding. Not sure if going yet but hopefully all going have a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
SFDebris update. His show will continue, just anywhere but Youtube. He's looking into options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icyb91mf1JI

Poor bastard sound distraught, I don't blame him.

• Locked thread