Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sprained my ankle. Can't gas properly now. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reiza posted a video of the upcoming SuperV8 on the upcoming Montreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzN6QZYds_M

They're probably not going to reach the complete goal for their crowdfunding campaign, I'm afraid the Supertrucks are not going to happen :(

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

jonathan posted:

Edit: Why doesn't Empty Box on youtube use triple monitors ?

He actually has a modest computer it seems. He also drives rally games with the fanatec F1 rim which is weird as all hell having tried it myself. The best part about emptybox is that we never see him.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I also like the way he says his name.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

osker posted:

He actually has a modest computer it seems. He also drives rally games with the fanatec F1 rim which is weird as all hell having tried it myself. The best part about emptybox is that we never see him.

The F1 rim is much lighter, so it reacts quicker and more precise to FFB signals because the motor has to deal with less inertia. One the graphs it's quite a difference although I don't know how much of that translates into the real world (I'll find out as soon as the F1 rim goes on sale). If you're not big on MY IMMERSION (unlike me), it might just be easier to forgoe switching rims and just leave the - technically - better option on.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Work in progress. They've updated the AI for several tracks already. Despite their raving mad forums, SMS is improving the game monthly.

The AI is more aware of the player, and tends to be less aggressive as a result.
Unless you're behind the AI in a higher class of vehicle (multi-class races). Then they are oblivious to your existence. :v:

I've seen the AI make some fairly aggressive moves in PCars both against me and against other AI that all but guarantee some contact. Not sure why sometimes they opt for such moves and others (more often) they just seem content to wait around.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

GhostDog posted:

The F1 rim is much lighter, so it reacts quicker and more precise to FFB signals because the motor has to deal with less inertia. One the graphs it's quite a difference although I don't know how much of that translates into the real world (I'll find out as soon as the F1 rim goes on sale). If you're not big on MY IMMERSION (unlike me), it might just be easier to forgoe switching rims and just leave the - technically - better option on.

I have both a BMW and f1 rim, and the difference is not all that crazy. Granted that rotational inertia is a function of mass and object radius, it is just then when rallying I grab the wheel is so many crazy ways it ain't funny. Also one handing in excess of 270 degree cars with the f1 rim is going to lead to a broken finger on my end one day.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Norns posted:

Sprained my ankle. Can't gas properly now. gently caress.
How is this a problem? Just put a brick on the pedal. :confused:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since I got paid I got a bunch of RaceRoom tracks and the WTCC 2014 pack and I've decided that all my entertainment needs can be 100% met from just busting sweet drifts around turns 1+2 at Laguna Seca.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You can't even make it to the corkscrew, can you? :mmmsmug:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Assetto Corsa licensed Brands Hatch, which is fun even though I can never get turn 1 right. Let's hope for a couple more tracks while they're gearing up for the console version.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GhostDog posted:

Assetto Corsa licensed Brands Hatch, which is fun even though I can never get turn 1 right. Let's hope for a couple more tracks while they're gearing up for the console version.

Brake moderately, shift down a gear, and dive in hard towards the apex. That turn and the last sweeping right hander always get me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

More tracks is 10% of what that game desperately needs. The other 90% is AI that knows which end of the car makes the vrooms.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Loving Project Cars.

It's really amazing and what blew me away was the kart sim. So much drat fun, really got that feel of 'chucking' the kart into corners. Awesome.

It's a shifter kart too, so you're pulling on paddles and downshifting hard into corners.

My T500 (pretty sure it's just a T500, not a T500rs.. is that possible? I've had it for years now) is doing a thing though that makes me sad.

It centers to about 10 degrees to the left. I turn it off and on and it keeps doing it. I found a manual wheel centering procedure, but I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this.

It's apparently not all that uncommon. Brilliant wheel though, I've had others and the belt-driven feel and construction of the T500 leaves them for dead.

High refresh monitor made a difference for me too, iRacing at 120MHz is a difference experience than at 60. Stuff is just happening in a more fluid and smooth way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you set a time in the Thrustmaster competition in RaceRoom to be in that raffle then you're gonna have to go back and set another time, they just wiped the leaderboards because people were abusing a track cut which didn't give you a penalty.

E: OK the servers are down for maintenance, but when I loaded up the game just now there was an ad saying Circuit Paul Ricard was available so that's gonna be in when the game goes back up.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 16, 2015

advion
Jul 25, 2005

osker posted:

Some people just don't like triples either. I'm one of those people I ran triples for a year back in like 2011 and then sold them.

I can feel a noticeable difference in FFB between the F1 and BMW rim but I still only use the F1 rim for open wheel cars or prototypes and BMW for everything else. I really like the BMW rim.

advion fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 16, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

advion posted:

Some people just don't like triples either. I'm one of those people I ran triples for a year back in like 2011 and then sold them.

I can feel a noticeable difference in FFB between the F1 and BMW rim but I still only use the F1 rim for open wheel cars or prototypes and BMW for everything else. I really like the BMW rim.

With triples there's also the performance aspect, my games performance on my PC drops fairly noticably when I'm using double monitors so triples are probably beyond it. When I factor in the PC upgrades I'd need and the cost of 2 more mountable monitors I figure that's money I'd rather put towards upgrading my wheel/pedals.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Enter the Tinnitus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML91Vqok--w

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Need to drive faster to escape that swarm of bees chasing you.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

With triples there's also the performance aspect, my games performance on my PC drops fairly noticably when I'm using double monitors so triples are probably beyond it. When I factor in the PC upgrades I'd need and the cost of 2 more mountable monitors I figure that's money I'd rather put towards upgrading my wheel/pedals.

I didn't want to invest a ton of money because I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it for more than a weekend.

I purchased a cheap GTX 960 card, a used i5 tower with 8gb ram, and 3 used mismatched 22" monitors for $70 each. Strangely, I get around 80fps with a single monitor with the graphics slider maxed out (and mirrors turned on). With triple monitors enabled I don't get a performance hit.

Eventually I'll sell this system and upgrade but for 650 or whatever it cost its not bad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I play pcars on my 40" HDTV through a long hdmi cable. It owns.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

I play pcars on my 40" HDTV through a long hdmi cable. It owns.

This is something I'm planning once I get myself a new TV since my current 720p 37" is coming on for 10 years old.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

It centers to about 10 degrees to the left. I turn it off and on and it keeps doing it. I found a manual wheel centering procedure, but I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this.

I think that's a problem with the rotary encoder. Here's a video of a guy fixing it on a G27; not sure if you can find a Thrustmaster equivalent (btw this guy is one of the maybe top 5 road drivers on iRacing):

http://youtu.be/vKkqlrUHel4

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah thanks man. I don't really want to pull it apart, I wonder if I have to send it back to France to get fixed..

Time for a call to Thrustmaster.. however the hell you do that from Australia

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Usually they will ship you a replacement and you ship them back the faulty base.

If it's still under warranty. I don't know about if its not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Reiza's crowdfunding campaign is in its final week and just hit 60% funded, so they'll add the rallycross track and Mitsubishi Evo rallycross car. They've also given the milestones for the remaining content.

70% gets Formula V10 and SUPERTRUCKS as well as a new UI and HUD, more rallycross layouts and Supertruck modified tracks.
80% adds the Copa Montana trucks and adds the Renault Fluence to the Copa Marcas cars as well as VR support and dynamic tracks (rubber build up etc).
90% is a bonus car and track from a backer vote, Interlagos' 2015 layout, reworking of the game's artwork and graphics and custom championships.
100% gets the Honda Civic for Copa Marcas, a new Formula 3 car and extra layouts to a bunch of tracks.

So basically 70% is the key number, which is about another $6-7000.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

We just need 4 people to pick up the $2k VIP package.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the only non Brazilian track they will have is CGV? That's why I didn't really like GSCE. It was fun to drive but I didn't know any of the tracks besides Interlagos. I don't want to learn tracks I'll never use in any other game.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm going to toss money their way because GSCE was one of the racing sims I put in a bit more hours in than Race07 before it hit Steam.

In other racing games, has anyone given Trackday Manager a look? Sometimes I don't feel like racing, but managing a race team seems fun. I've played Motorport Manager on my iPhone and that was F1 related but isn't quite itching the itch much.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

80% positive reviews on the game (82 reviews so far, 64 positive). I might toss $20 their way and give it a whirl. I've been looking for a good team management game/sim. Used to play iGP Manager with some Goons for a time, but the stagnation kinda killed that off.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

So the only non Brazilian track they will have is CGV? That's why I didn't really like GSCE. It was fun to drive but I didn't know any of the tracks besides Interlagos. I don't want to learn tracks I'll never use in any other game.
Yeah, gently caress things that are different.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
dear thread.

the only racing games you need are iracing, and game stock car extreme. that is all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, gently caress things that are different.

I don't see the point of learning tracks that are only in one game. I can load up a game I've never played and drive a car I'm familiar with on Donington or Watkins or Brands or something and I'll know the track.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
well if you played the game you'd probably care to learn them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see the point of learning tracks that are only in one game. I can load up a game I've never played and drive a car I'm familiar with on Donington or Watkins or Brands or something and I'll know the track.
Yeah, things that are different are bad and shouldn't exist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, things that are different are bad and shouldn't exist.

Yeah you're right. I'm starting the campaign to stop all you from playing GSCE as well.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I know that feeling, I've trained for years on grueling tracks like Laguna Seca or Spa Francorchamps or Monaco, and every new sim I load up, I can slip into these tracks with any car and just know my way around, but every time I want to take my game up to the next level, and perhaps put a car on a real track, the only thing nearby are lovely local tracks that are entirely different! I don't want to learn that poo poo! drat! gently caress! It's awful.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

As long as Brazil isn't filled with Nurburgrings, I feel like learning a new track doesn't take that long for basic competence driving it. In PCars, I feel like I have a pretty good feel for a track I've never driven before within the same 10~15 minute practice it takes to tweak the setup to something more preferable (assuming the default car setup isn't trash, then it can take much longer).

Picking up a known entity is nice, but new tracks can be cool too (and who cares if you ever see them again if they're decently good tracks to race on).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Most of the people who really like GSCE like it because it has all those tracks you don't get in other games. Also it basically inherited all rFactor's mods because of how easy it is to convert them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

njsykora posted:

Most of the people who really like GSCE like it because it has all those tracks you don't get in other games. Also it basically inherited all rFactor's mods because of how easy it is to convert them.

how easy to transfer tracks to gsce from rfactor?

• Locked thread