Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

No, because they were in every instruction manual and show up as that character's model in later games which include old characters.

They've always wanted busy character designs and expected you to imagine the sprites to appear as the busy designs included in the manuals they expected you to read.

The manual can go unread for any number of reasons. Rentals, used games, or a player just flat-out deciding they're happy enough with how self-evident (and/or well-tutorialized) the game happens to be. I realize that the Amano art exists. I'm just saying that it's not entirely invalid to think that the older character designs were simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

The manual can go unread for any number of reasons. Rentals, used games, or a player just flat-out deciding they're happy enough with how self-evident (and/or well-tutorialized) the game happens to be. I realize that the Amano art exists. I'm just saying that it's not entirely invalid to think that the older character designs were simpler.

Yeah, why didn't the ancient game catridges with zero storage space have a perfect HD 1080p narrated tutorial of every possible action and character? They should know I'm lazy and illiterate.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

The idea is that they would have had extravagant characters if they could have graphically represented them back then. It wasn't a case that the game makers were more aesthetically ascetic back in the day.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lizard Wizard posted:

A) most players don't know the Amano art exists,

Have you seen the Amano art for the monsters?

Monster sprites for the first 6 FF games are just recreations of the Amano art as best as fuckin' possible.

To the point where they're even in the same positions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Stupid modern final fantasy is so anime, I wish it was more like the good old days

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

He does actually die after ten minutes! IIRC it's the only part in the entire series where he can die.

That's in Secret of Monkey Island, he's talking about Tales of Monkey Island.

E: Unless you were also talking about Tales of Monkey Island, I haven't played those games yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All I know is I let him sit down there for way more than 10 minutes and nothing happened. Except a while later I solved the puzzle down there and right after I was done, a line of dialogue triggered where Guybrush said the ten minutes were up and went back to the surface on his own (even more of a cop out if you ask me).

They went out of their way to put in references and callbacks to the rest of the series and this is the one they skip? :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The idea is that they would have had extravagant characters if they could have graphically represented them back then. It wasn't a case that the game makers were more aesthetically ascetic back in the day.

And all Lizard Wizard is saying is that you could be forgiven for not realizing how extravagent the designs were intended to be when they just look like this

Vs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zaphod42 posted:

Stupid modern final fantasy is so anime, I wish it was more like the good old days

I originally had that in the post about Amano artwork w/r/t monsters but it's not Amano. That's a Nomura design. He handled the statues and the final boss.

It's also the drawing, pixilated.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

don't get me wrong i think the amano characters and the nomura monsters look dope but if u think they wouldn't have gone balls out on modeling that poo poo if they had the capabilities

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Alouicious posted:

man i wish they'd go back to the tasteful, minimalist character designs of final fantasy vi, the best final fantasy because it came out when i was 12

i was trolling, but seriously. it came out when i was 12.

also, thanks for posting a unique amano print which i have never seen before.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I originally had that in the post about Amano artwork w/r/t monsters but it's not Amano. That's a Nomura design. He handled the statues and the final boss.

I really hate nomura but now I need this tattooed on my back. know a guy who will do a deec 16x28" for three bills and a quarter of white widow?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The tower in FFVI is basically the only time when that 'hodge-podge mess' final boss design they had going on in the SNES era actually worked. I mean, I love Final Fantasy V to bits, but look what THAT served up:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lords of the Fallen Seriously gently caress this game. I took a long break and then came back to it. The combat is actually a lot of fun, and I really like the animations. But I give up. I literally do a 10 hit combo on an enemy and see the damage counter above their head hit 10. 1 dmg per hit. Oh noes I'm hit once, IMMEDIATE DEATH ALL ENEMY RESPAWN HAHAHA.

Yeah there is Dark Souls skill based hard, then there is a billion hit points and you're essentially useless hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jastiger posted:

Lords of the Fallen Seriously gently caress this game. I took a long break and then came back to it. The combat is actually a lot of fun, and I really like the animations. But I give up. I literally do a 10 hit combo on an enemy and see the damage counter above their head hit 10. 1 dmg per hit. Oh noes I'm hit once, IMMEDIATE DEATH ALL ENEMY RESPAWN HAHAHA.

Yeah there is Dark Souls skill based hard, then there is a billion hit points and you're essentially useless hard.

That game sucks but use the greatswords and slap the bigger poison runes and stuff on, that should deal with most things.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

That game sucks but use the greatswords and slap the bigger poison runes and stuff on, that should deal with most things.

Nope, I'm done. i'm not bashing my head against that game any longer. Its just such a stupid design decision to make my attacks do ONE DAMAGE and still be one shot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should never be doing 1 damage with anything. You are absolutely doing something wrong for that to be happening. Are you equipping a weapon you don't have the stats to use or something.

Also, sometimes you can get into areas earlier than you actually have to in order to progress, so if there's a sudden unexplained difficulty spike, don't beat your head against it, just go elsewhere.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Cleretic posted:

The tower in FFVI is basically the only time when that 'hodge-podge mess' final boss design they had going on in the SNES era actually worked. I mean, I love Final Fantasy V to bits, but look what THAT served up:

Well, Exdeath is supposed to be an incoherent jumble of like 40 monsters, so mission accomplished?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've been playing through Dark Souls 1 and 2 the past couple months, and had a lot of fun. I'd have to say the first game definitely captured my enjoyment a bit more than the second though. A lot of the common complaints I don't really care that much about - for example, level-design and general progression isn't a big deal for me for the most part, I don't think the bosses and boss-variety is any worse than the first game at all, I don't mind Adaptability/Agility. One thing that's a bit of a bummer but isn't really much better in 1 is casual PvP - I was never that interested in it when i played that game, but the lack of Cracked Red Eye Orbs and the Forest's status as PvP-central and thus full of minmaxed characters is annoying with how out of the way the Red Eye Orb is. In 2 Cracked Orbs are fairly common, but Soul Memory makes it intimidating to new players once you start getting up there. At least the Bell Keepers were fun when I first got to Luna, though you quickly out-level it only to get smashed once the ring starts taking you to Sol instead (gee, thanks for spoiling that area for me game).

That's not really a huge deal though. My biggest complaint is that Dark Souls 2 feels too nice to me. I was very bothered by two things in that vein. First is Majula, which is just too, well, civilized to match the tone of the game to me. Firelink was fine because while peaceful it very much felt like a small respite where occasionally other characters would cross your path before leaving again - a lot of the NPCs you meet there come and go (Lautrec, Logan, the Catarina Knights, etc) so it very much feels like a bit of a crossroad, while Majula is basically a self-sufficient town, and nobody seems to leave it once they arrive. The fact that I can't really tell is the other problem - it's just too big with the buildings and all. Where I could quickly and easily see if anyone had come or gone at Firelink, I quickly stopped bothering in Majula, especially since it seemed nobody ever left. The way it's so static is annoying enough by itself, and combined with the feel of a peaceful town and the fact that several NPCs are just living there no problem just makes the rest of the world feel kinda non-threatening compared to the first game.

The other issue is just that 2 has way too many items. Thankfully the inventory is much better than in DS1, but the game gives you so much poo poo it gets tedious as hell to sort through, and it also kinda takes me out of the bleak, me against the world feeling when I have thousands of items of all kinds to aid me at any moment. And while I said I didn't have a problem with the level-design as such, Lifegems really take away any challenge of attrition in the game - anything that can't outright kill you from 100 - 0 in one fight is meaningless with my three massive stacks of healing items. The only exception was in the Forest, consequently making that the toughest area of the game for me. Very much not a fan of them, and hope they find a better solution than infinite healing items. It's probably the biggest issue I have with the gameplay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm annoyed with Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and how it just doesn't seem to have very many fast travel stations. Like if multiple quests send me to one spot, maybe there should be fast travel to there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You should never be doing 1 damage with anything. You are absolutely doing something wrong for that to be happening. Are you equipping a weapon you don't have the stats to use or something.

Also, sometimes you can get into areas earlier than you actually have to in order to progress, so if there's a sudden unexplained difficulty spike, don't beat your head against it, just go elsewhere.

That is what I thought too, but then I hit some walkthroughs and I'm supposed to be here. I'm an agi based dude and am using the two daggars. I dual weild and get behind an enemy and score a backstab! WOOHOOO! 15 damage. Out of like 500. I mean the boss was that way too. The Warden I think? It took forever, not because I kept dying or was failing. But becasue he had SO MANY HIT POINTS compared to the damage I was able to do. It was ridiculous. I even threw on a staff and two handed it, and my damage went to like 5 instead of 1. Ridiculous.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Daggers are the highest damaging weapons in the entire game if you've been using combos properly. I have no idea how you can be doing such piddly damage unless you've invested nothing in your stats and are using a weapon too high level for you. :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

I'm annoyed with Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and how it just doesn't seem to have very many fast travel stations. Like if multiple quests send me to one spot, maybe there should be fast travel to there.

That game had so much padding and backtracking I gave up after five or six hours, despite generally enjoying the low-gravity/O2 booster stuff and the cryo weapons. One step forward, twenty steps back. Over the edge of a cliff.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Daggers are the highest damaging weapons in the entire game if you've been using combos properly. I have no idea how you can be doing such piddly damage unless you've invested nothing in your stats and are using a weapon too high level for you. :psyduck:

It had a ton of "pluses" for me in regard to the daggars. And up until that point the damage made sense. Get off a good combo, success! Then I hit this one area and....NOPE.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DS2 is a good game but there is no section that filled me with such unrelenting dread like Blightown from DS1.
Also the special two-weapon combos never seemed to be useful to me ouside of a gimmick. Twirling two scimitars around looks neat but that dragon is gonna eat my rooted rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inzombiac posted:

DS2 is a good game but there is no section that filled me with such unrelenting dread like Blightown from DS1.

Lots of people bitch about blighttown, but those same people complain about DS2 being bad or too easy :ironicat:
I'm with you though.

Inzombiac posted:

Also the special two-weapon combos never seemed to be useful to me ouside of a gimmick. Twirling two scimitars around looks neat but that dragon is gonna eat my rooted rear end.

Eh, try fighting with an ultra greatsword sometime, you'll get killed by dragons at first but then you just have to really learn to time your swings and when you're safe and when you're not. The same exact thing applies to most of the dual wield power stance attacks, although those are even faster. And some of the power stance moves are super fun for pvp.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

This is what is probably going on here. I'm not sure how you even do 1 damage in lords of the fallen without equipping a weapon you don't have the stats to use. Make sure you meet the requirements for the weapon you're using, and note that daggers do basically all their damage by doing a combo in their double form. If you do 3 timed hits in a row (where you time each attack so you get the swing for less stamina) with double daggers/shortswords/claws you will do a huge burst of damage, like I've taken off a third of a boss's health bar with one combo before. The difficulty is that on bosses it's often hard to find an opportunity to actually get that combo in.

The class that starts with daggers is way harder to use than the cleric or knight. If you're still early on I would start over with one of those instead because you can just block instead of having to dodge roll, you get heavier armor for much more defense, and combos aren't required to do good damage. I would also pick the blue set of spells because it's largely way better than the red or green spells. I think the dagger class is best for a second playthrough when you want more challenge, but for a first time it's three times as difficult as the others.

Another thing to note is that it's not like the souls games where you can upgrade a starter weapon and take it through the entire game with you. Instead of upgrading weapons you just find better ones that do more damage, so you'll find weapons later on with identical movesets to the weapon you started with (all hammers have the same moves, all greataxes have the same moves, etc), but they'll have higher requirements and do more damage, so you have to switch out your weapons. The game will absolutely let you equip something even if you don't have the stats to use it, it will just do terrible damage, so pay attention to weapon requirements.

Insurrectionist posted:

I've been playing through Dark Souls 1 and 2 the past couple months, and had a lot of fun. I'd have to say the first game definitely captured my enjoyment a bit more than the second though. A lot of the common complaints I don't really care that much about - for example, level-design and general progression isn't a big deal for me for the most part, I don't think the bosses and boss-variety is any worse than the first game at all, I don't mind Adaptability/Agility. One thing that's a bit of a bummer but isn't really much better in 1 is casual PvP - I was never that interested in it when i played that game, but the lack of Cracked Red Eye Orbs and the Forest's status as PvP-central and thus full of minmaxed characters is annoying with how out of the way the Red Eye Orb is. In 2 Cracked Orbs are fairly common, but Soul Memory makes it intimidating to new players once you start getting up there. At least the Bell Keepers were fun when I first got to Luna, though you quickly out-level it only to get smashed once the ring starts taking you to Sol instead (gee, thanks for spoiling that area for me game).

Use the agape ring so your soul memory doesn't get any higher. Then you won't have to worry about not being able to get hits in the same area anymore. You can buy it from straid in the bastille.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Jul 21, 2015

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of people bitch about blighttown, but those same people complain about DS2 being bad or too easy :ironicat:
I'm with you though.

I have strong feeling about video games

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Final bosses in Final Fantasy games makes my head hurt. Like, wtf is going on in this picture? :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Final bosses in Final Fantasy games makes my head hurt. Like, wtf is going on in this picture? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT4qB-RFjk

This is doubly so true for FF6 and FF7 which were both heavily directly influenced by Akira.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Starhawk64 posted:

It is literally a tower. See how there's kind of three layers? Each of the layers (big guy, swarm of dudes, resting figure and ladytorso) is a separate wad of bosses. You fight them in order, from bottom to top, with no breaks.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

If you didn't play a dual wielded fist run you didn't play the real DS2.

(Actually due to the, I think, S strength scaling this was one of the highest damage output runs I played with).

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Somfin posted:

It is literally a tower. See how there's kind of three layers? Each of the layers (big guy, swarm of dudes, resting figure and ladytorso) is a separate wad of bosses. You fight them in order, from bottom to top, with no breaks.

I think it is the theme of the game. VI is magical steampunk, VII is magical cyberpunk, and VIII is magical emopunk. The magic is mixed with the air, and another magic causes the magic to combust with the catalytic action of a spark plug linked to a battery-backed cartridge.

fig i: an exhaust manifold

magic in action

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is what is probably going on here. I'm not sure how you even do 1 damage in lords of the fallen without equipping a weapon you don't have the stats to use. Make sure you meet the requirements for the weapon you're using, and note that daggers do basically all their damage by doing a combo in their double form. If you do 3 timed hits in a row (where you time each attack so you get the swing for less stamina) with double daggers/shortswords/claws you will do a huge burst of damage, like I've taken off a third of a boss's health bar with one combo before. The difficulty is that on bosses it's often hard to find an opportunity to actually get that combo in.

The class that starts with daggers is way harder to use than the cleric or knight. If you're still early on I would start over with one of those instead because you can just block instead of having to dodge roll, you get heavier armor for much more defense, and combos aren't required to do good damage. I would also pick the blue set of spells because it's largely way better than the red or green spells. I think the dagger class is best for a second playthrough when you want more challenge, but for a first time it's three times as difficult as the others.

Another thing to note is that it's not like the souls games where you can upgrade a starter weapon and take it through the entire game with you. Instead of upgrading weapons you just find better ones that do more damage, so you'll find weapons later on with identical movesets to the weapon you started with (all hammers have the same moves, all greataxes have the same moves, etc), but they'll have higher requirements and do more damage, so you have to switch out your weapons. The game will absolutely let you equip something even if you don't have the stats to use it, it will just do terrible damage, so pay attention to weapon requirements.

I wish I could upload my save state or something and have you look at it. I used the same items to kill the previous dudes no problem. 3 hit combo success, whipping out the staff for faster enemies.

But these guys....I can't dent them. I'm on the mission where Lasko or whatever his name is, is wounded and needs help. I just killed the first boss and am going outside the castle.

I want to finish it because the combat is actually rewarding and smooth. I like the timing aspect. I hate the hp sinks that don't quite reward as they should.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Jastiger posted:

It had a ton of "pluses" for me in regard to the daggars. And up until that point the damage made sense. Get off a good combo, success! Then I hit this one area and....NOPE.

I GLITCHED THE poo poo OUT OF FFVI
by using the paint glitch on gau as he was returning from jumping into a dragon on the veldt.

My inventory had so many daggers one would think i should open up a distribution hub for a series of dagger franchises. i had :frogout::ironicat: dirks, and liek a million magicites. Terra became the final boss, but acted just like Terra always does.

I was a stupid tween espousing dated paradigms which even now I tend to gravitate towards. I have a Mississippi state flag covering my streetward window, and still think FFVI is the best tech-based game ever, and Chrono Trigger is the best game for feels. If SA were around when Pokemon became popular, the missing number surf glitch would ruin the poo poo out of it, and only asinine rear end in a top hat and snotnosed tweens would play it. Dissect a frog, and it is only a dead frog.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Starhawk64 posted:

It's also, I think, based loosely on The Divine Comedy. The bottom section represents Hell, as in Dante's Inferno, Satan is trapped in ice up to his waist. The second layer is Purgatory, and the third layer, based off the Pieta, is Heaven. In The Divine Comedy, after climbing through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven, Dante meets God, who tells him the meaning of life. In FFVI, after beating the three layers, bottom to top, you encounter Kefka, who having killed the old gods and become the sole god of magic, declares that life is meaningless.

:goonsay:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Izumi Konata posted:

by using the paint glitch on gau as he was returning from jumping into a dragon on the veldt.

My inventory had so many daggers one would think i should open up a distribution hub for a series of dagger franchises. i had :frogout::ironicat: dirks, and liek a million magicites. Terra became the final boss, but acted just like Terra always does.

I was a stupid tween espousing dated paradigms which even now I tend to gravitate towards. I have a Mississippi state flag covering my streetward window, and still think FFVI is the best tech-based game ever, and Chrono Trigger is the best game for feels. If SA were around when Pokemon became popular, the missing number surf glitch would ruin the poo poo out of it, and only asinine rear end in a top hat and snotnosed tweens would play it. Dissect a frog, and it is only a dead frog.

Are you...are you having a stroke?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Izumi Konata posted:

I don't get it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Use the agape ring so your soul memory doesn't get any higher. Then you won't have to worry about not being able to get hits in the same area anymore. You can buy it from straid in the bastille.

Yeah I'm not saying it's impossible to do fun PvP, but I'd prefer occasional but regular casual PvP while I level which doesn't feel like it happens all that much. I know outside Luna I barely got invaded at all throughout the game, even though I tried to stay Human a lot I was still limited to, well, being able to actually stay alive. It was fun joining the Bellbros and putting the ring on every so often, but that still got me summoned so much I barely had the time to do anything PvE between each time I was called off to invade. Felt very all or nothing, I could easily forego PvE so I could do some PvPing but when I wanted to PvE I barely ever got the chance to PvP.

Oh well, at least I didn't run into a ton of hackers or anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it's impossible to do fun PvP, but I'd prefer occasional but regular casual PvP while I level which doesn't feel like it happens all that much. I know outside Luna I barely got invaded at all throughout the game, even though I tried to stay Human a lot I was still limited to, well, being able to actually stay alive. It was fun joining the Bellbros and putting the ring on every so often, but that still got me summoned so much I barely had the time to do anything PvE between each time I was called off to invade. Felt very all or nothing, I could easily forego PvE so I could do some PvPing but when I wanted to PvE I barely ever got the chance to PvP.

Oh well, at least I didn't run into a ton of hackers or anything!

Everyone is on the Iron Keep bridge and the Soul Memory cap evaporates once you get high enough. I'm at something obscene like 16 million SM (NG+++ character) and I get summoned within ten seconds of putting a dragon or red soap sign down. PvP is Real.