Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That part was so blatantly pervy I thought a trophy was going to pop for not wearing the towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Looks like 1.07 broke Steam / GOG achievements...

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/53337-Achievements-not-working-in-1-07

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

NESguerilla posted:

That part was so blatantly pervy I thought a trophy was going to pop for not wearing the towel.

I commend their dedication to creating an entire texture set for an old naked woman that gets used precisely once in the entire game.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

tits were still perky for a gran tho

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

The Sharmat posted:

There's a shack in North Velen with some orphans you can feed. Give them food and as a reward they give you a book on werewolves that fills out your bestiary and gives you that decoction, IIRC.

A late thanks for the info. Disappointed you don't start galloping on all fours when you drink it but great nonetheless.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

If you've got a reliable crash like that and you haven't already, please report it at the official forums and someone will contact you for a savegame, we can take a look at hopefully fix it in a later patch.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forums/174-Tech-Support

Hey put the DS4 on PC Main Menu back to Options and in game menu back to the Start button like it was before and disable the touchpad click entirely cause it's gross and icky and weird.

Also: If you press the start button, then press the start button again (because that makes sense if you press the start button to bring up the main menu, pressing start again should put away the main menu) it does not do anything, but bring up the keyboard UI interface elements. Pressing O/B leaves the main menu.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

JetsGuy posted:

Speaking of, since leveling doesn't work the same way it does in regular RPGs (i.e. I can't just farm mobs), is there a place to go get XP after I'm done literally everything?

I don't even care if it's an exploit at this point, I'm level 35. Surely there's something I can do? Can't wait for the DLC.

You can get 13xp for each loan you take up from Vivaldi and pay back, costing you 30cr every time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just started a new game yesterday now that 1.07 dropped and :vince: I love all of the changes. I am playing with minimal UI elements, including no minimap and I am enjoying it so far since I already sort-of know my way around and felt like I spent too much of my last playthrough looking at the minimap rather than the beautiful world.

This time I am doing a sprint around to get as many good Gwent cards as I can before I start doing Gwent quests. This also allows me to read all of the message boards to get alllll of the quests early so that I know which ones to do first. I guess I have some sort of OCD or something.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly the hardest fight in the entire game on death march is the four or five ghouls at the very beginning. Stupid Tutorial teaches you how to fight humans but then makes you fight a pack of animals.

Even on death march I steamrolled the rest of the game after that. Feels way more significant when you can't take 4 hits without dying. Especially during contracts.

I also had a hell of a time in the dungeon with the first boss (who regenerates and spawns packs) because I didn't know how the alchemy system worked and kept throwing away my empty swallow potions to recreate them so I had to do half the dungeon with 20% hp. :downsgun:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Honestly the hardest fight in the entire game on death march is the four or five ghouls at the very beginning. Stupid Tutorial teaches you how to fight humans but then makes you fight a pack of animals.

Even on death march I steamrolled the rest of the game after that. Feels way more significant when you can't take 4 hits without dying. Especially during contracts.

I also had a hell of a time in the dungeon with the first boss (who regenerates and spawns packs) because I didn't know how the alchemy system worked and kept throwing away my empty swallow potions to recreate them so I had to do half the dungeon with 20% hp. :downsgun:
What are you calling the first boss? Keira's dungeon? That was hard enough with functioning swallow...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

I commend their dedication to creating an entire texture set for an old naked woman that gets used precisely once in the entire game.

the dark side of realistic, appropriate nudity in video game story telling

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What are you calling the first boss? Keira's dungeon? That was hard enough with functioning swallow...

Yeah Kiera's dungeon. I couldn't remember her name (I wanted to say kaer) and that whole place was loving hell. Now that I'm remembering the foglets and junk.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, it's shocking how quickly Death March levels off, or at least you start learning how to play appropriately for it. The beginning is an absolute slog until about level 7 or 8, and suddenly you're laughing in the face of danger because you're dodging and Quen'ing all over the place. The only thing more satisfying than (late game boss spoiler) roasting Imlerith's head inside his own helmet (seriously, that bit was impressive) is doing it without taking a single hit. Because if you do, you're pretty much already dead.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I must be the only dude who doesn't quen and I played on B&BB....

Then again with the Ekhidna decoction you get health back when you cast anything so it's like immediate health. Pair it with Ekimara and swallow and you're never losing that much health anyway. Also that potion which is called a decoction (it isn't) saved my rear end in that final battle. Cripes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

I must be the only dude who doesn't quen and I played on B&BB....

Then again with the Ekhidna decoction you get health back when you cast anything so it's like immediate health. Pair it with Ekimara and swallow and you're never losing that much health anyway. Also that potion which is called a decoction (it isn't) saved my rear end in that final battle. Cripes.

I quen occasionally when it seems prudent. I quen while entering fights with large monsters, especially ones whose attack patterns I am not entirely familiar with. I find axii to almost always be superior to quen, though. Quen makes fights take longer, especially if you back up to re-up it when you get hit. Quen is especially prudent against teleporting enemies,

In general, though, using quen is like planning to get hit.

But also I am on console where i only have a single sign castable at a time and can only switch with a radial menu, so it's easier to pick whichever sign is most appropriate for a fight and stick with it. I started using Quen more when I went hudless, because I can't tell how big of a chunk that earth element whose level I don't know will take out of my health if I gently caress up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Snak posted:

But also I am on console where i only have a single sign castable at a time and can only switch with a radial menu, so it's easier to pick whichever sign is most appropriate for a fight and stick with it. I started using Quen more when I went hudless, because I can't tell how big of a chunk that earth element whose level I don't know will take out of my health if I gently caress up.
I wish there were visible ways of telling how close to dead enemies were if you turn off their health bars. Also how close to dead I am with that part of the UI turned off. I tried it and I just need more information at my fingertips to enjoy the game. I do have the minimap off though and I find that great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

I wish there were visible ways of telling how close to dead enemies were if you turn off their health bars. Also how close to dead I am with that part of the UI turned off. I tried it and I just need more information at my fingertips to enjoy the game. I do have the minimap off though and I find that great.

Yeah, it's definitly not for everyone, and it's not "better" in any objective way, I just really like the feel. If you're on ps4, your DS4 light will change color based on your health, which is really nice. In general, though, it makes me try a lot harder to just not get hit at all. I still do, obviously, but it's kind of fun to finish a fight and then check my health on the menu and see "how well I did". The biggest mistake I tend to make is forgetting that I haven't meditated to refresh my potions and going into a fight.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

I quen occasionally when it seems prudent. I quen while entering fights with large monsters, especially ones whose attack patterns I am not entirely familiar with. I find axii to almost always be superior to quen, though. Quen makes fights take longer, especially if you back up to re-up it when you get hit. Quen is especially prudent against teleporting enemies,

Yeah I'm PS4 and I p much exclusively use Igni. Maybe that'll change, but I doubt it. Had no real problem with the igni nerf in the endgame. Still wrecked poo poo with it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's definitly not for everyone, and it's not "better" in any objective way, I just really like the feel. If you're on ps4, your DS4 light will change color based on your health, which is really nice. In general, though, it makes me try a lot harder to just not get hit at all. I still do, obviously, but it's kind of fun to finish a fight and then check my health on the menu and see "how well I did". The biggest mistake I tend to make is forgetting that I haven't meditated to refresh my potions and going into a fight.

Yeah, I play on B&BB and try to only meditate when I've run out of all "go-to" potions and bombs in a stretch. Still have thunderbolt but have used up Swallow? Tough, eat more chikin. Out of Superior Grapeshot? Hope Samum does the job or get up in their grill.

Also means that Geralt is practically a teetotaler witcher with how little alcohol is consumed; I guess Yen will be happy...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game owns so hard poo poo

I am in the middle of bloody baron quest, wondering what would have changed if I dealt with the fight differently

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This game owns so hard poo poo

I am in the middle of bloody baron quest, wondering what would have changed if I dealt with the fight differently

Which one? There's multiple fights associated with that quest.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

OAquinas posted:

Also means that Geralt is practically a teetotaler witcher with how little alcohol is consumed; I guess Yen will be happy...

Yen likes the hard stuff actually. She just doesn't want Geralt getting loaded at that one party because, y'know, plot.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yen likes the hard stuff actually. She just doesn't want Geralt getting loaded at that one party because, y'know, plot.

I still don't understand her reasoning.
What's the harm in broing out with some Skelligers so they don't think of you as an aloof bastard, which includes drinking one or two beers which a witcher shouldn't even notice?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the harm in broing out with some Skelligers so they don't think of you as an aloof bastard, which includes drinking one or two beers which a witcher shouldn't even notice?

Yennifer is a terrible person with horrible taste in everything. That's why I don't do anything she says.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Every single person at that party wanted to drink "one or two beers" with Geralt. After awhile that adds up, even on a witcher.

It'd kind of suck if instead of talking to Crach and stealing that mask from Ermion Geralt woke up in Kaer Trolde with a tattoo after trying to ride the asses of four whores to Undvik.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Well I'll be loving jiggered; patch 1.07 is finally available to me :monocle: Does me no favours tonight (6 hours to download? Really?), but something to look forward to checking out tomorrow.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Your avatar is loving terrifying. Remind me never to search for Witcher fanart on deviantart.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

The Sharmat posted:

Your avatar is loving terrifying. Remind me never to search for Witcher fanart on deviantart.

Fat Triss?

Anyway, seems like I haven't touched the game since early June. I was burned out from so much RPGing in the run-up to it coming out. gently caress it, I may as well start a new playthrough, so I can be properly grounded in things.

Edit: PSN is so loving wierd. Did the old 'pause and resume' thing, and now the download ETA has dropped to 30 minutes. Wonder how long that'll hold up...

Edit: and there it goes. I'm just going to torture myself if I try and wait it out tonight.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 20, 2015

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

The pirouettes are an essential part of the fighting style and emphasized quite a bit in the books. It wouldn't be witcher combat without Geralt leaping about and spinning like a ballerina on fisstech.

Never read the books, and quite frankly the animations are pretty amazing. It just gets frustrating when you're being mobbed to do a lengthy attack sequence that end up moving Geralt halfway across the screen, oftentimes putting Geralt into a much worse position. I had similar issues with the Batman Arkham series (which were also amazing games), Bats is a freakin artist when it comes to fighting style and moves, but when you're trying to carefully hit Thug X with a very specific combo and instead Bats flings himself across a hallway in order to punch Thug Y it's frustrating. At least Geralt can heal mid-fight when there's a screwup. Granted, these are tiny complaints in otherwise stellar games, but when you find yourself yelling "No Geralt, the guy to your left! YOUR OTHER LEFT!!!" for the eighteenth time it gets old.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

a large trout posted:

Because I'm a gentleman I always choose for Ciri to wear a towel in the sauna.

What kind of puritan freak wears a towel in a sauna?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the in-character justification for that one is Ciri not wanting them to see her tattoo.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Snak posted:

You can apparently switch signs with the right and left D-pad if you are in combat and holding down block.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I don't really have a problem switching signs in battle. I do, however, have a problem playing and not dying on Death March. Only level 5 so I dont have too much to work with but holy poo poo it's rough.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

cams posted:

I don't really have a problem switching signs in battle. I do, however, have a problem playing and not dying on Death March. Only level 5 so I dont have too much to work with but holy poo poo it's rough.

As someone about to finish their Death March run, I promise you it gets easier in a bit. My main stumbling block at that point was dealing with the Botchling. Just be patient and you'll get through. Also bear in mind that when spectres disappear, you can tell where they're moving by the light of their lanterns on the ground. The game starts to level off at around level 7 or 8, and then so long as you're careful to keep to things within your level range, you're pretty much golden outside of a few trouble spots.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

GrossMurpel posted:

Whatever you do, don't let Yen scare you off from drinking a bunch with your fellow witchers in Ker Morhen. I took that one all the way to the end of the drunken escapades and oh was it worth her being pissed at me.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whatever you do, don't let Yen scare you off from drinking a bunch with your fellow witchers in Ker Morhen. I took that one all the way to the end of the drunken escapades and oh was it worth her being pissed at me.

There's not a lot of reason not to do this because even if you quit early Geralt wakes up shirtless and hungover anyway with everyone else having awoken before him.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

There's not a lot of reason not to do this because even if you quit early Geralt wakes up shirtless and hungover anyway with everyone else having awoken before him.

I loved this quest so much I ended up reloading it and seeing all the different endings. As long as you get wasted enough that you end up searching for Eksel, there's going to be a funny ending whether you try to go to sleep right away after, or go the distance

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This game has several legitimate laugh out loud moments. It's impressive really, I don't think I've ever laughed from a video game before.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

I loved this quest so much I ended up reloading it and seeing all the different endings. As long as you get wasted enough that you end up searching for Eksel, there's going to be a funny ending whether you try to go to sleep right away after, or go the distance

Really? I've only gone to sleep before then, and then gone all the way and tried to drunk dial the Lodge while crossdressing. Other stuff happens depending on when you bail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Really? I've only gone to sleep before then, and then gone all the way and tried to drunk dial the Lodge while crossdressing. Other stuff happens depending on when you bail?

Lambert doesn't take it well when you don't like his ideas.