Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
One of the biggest eye-openers for me was when I tried to be straight-up honest with a doctor to get an Adderall script. Not because I think I have ADD, but because I had been taking it for months and could tangibly see the benefit from it. My main goal in getting a script was to cover myself from a legal standpoint, and to have a doctor on-board with checking my health. Note that before I brought up Adderall, this doctor had given me a physical and said I was healthy.

The doctor refused to prescribe it, and told me I needed to go through a therapist in their Behavioral Health department. The therapist told me that I couldn't be prescribed Adderall because I had admitted to doing cocaine in the past, which meant I was at a high risk for abuse. I asked her what "high risk for abuse" meant, given that I already had access to it and had been giving myself the same dosage for weeks and was fully aware of the risks (which was what brought me there in the first place). She said she would lose her license if she signed off on giving me Adderall, but if I wanted to I could make an appointment with a psychiatrist to state my case. I talked with the psychiatrist, who said that they couldn't do anything unless I submitted to get neuropsychological testing done, which would take a full day, and even then they were more likely to help me "get over my marijuana addiction" than to recommend me stimulants.

After spending three hours and $60 getting nowhere, I did what I should have done in the first place and booked another doctor (the one who gave me the depression questionnaire) and told her what she wanted to hear.

Look Under The Rock posted:

Long term stimulant use is linked to decreased capacity to feel joy so yeah talk to your doctor about Adderall and enjoy your Celexa in five years

My anti-drug friends used to say that about my MDMA use and a decade later I'm happier than I've ever been :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Long term stimulant use is linked to decreased capacity to feel joy so yeah talk to your doctor about Adderall and enjoy your Celexa in five years

Some people have difficulty with focus, some people have difficulty with hyperfocus, etc etc

Why put a label on it and call it a disorder/illness?

Sorry, but this is really rude. If someone says they think they have a disorder that is adversly affecting their life (which btw is the classification for a disorder/illness), it's a total dick move to say "well if you have this thing that totally may not exist, getting it treated will make your life worse."

There are problems with diagnosing people because medicine and psychology and psychiatry are not perfect but all these people are doing the best with the tools they have available to them. Sometimes things get misdiagnosed, which is why there should be strict followups after any new medication to make sure that it's working appropriately and that as many potential side effects are known, but that doesn't mean we stop giving out medication.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Gorgeous posts yuming. I'm sorry you're dealing with that.
No worries! I am happy to have come across the lovely schools I did in the past two years-- it's weird to say that but after the fact I feel like if I had not encountered the messes I did I would not have found such a specific area of interest in my field. My thesis I used in my grad school entrance essay was that I wanted to make language learning easier through the development of more effective assessment and treatment methods. In my first school I worked with someone who was really territorial about our scope of practice but not in a way that was good PR for our field because she was needlessly duplicating goals the SpEd teachers worked on (also the school itself was insane and operates under the horrible ideal that under-served populations just need to be told what to do and work harder.) Well, tbf my second school could be said to operate under that principal too because No Child Left Behind is some messed up terrible poo poo. But the fact that administration ultimately got their way about nixing services that aren't theirs to get rid of just goes to show how much work there is to be done. The lack of awareness or respect for what my services were from the high school principal also goes to show that writing duplicate goals as SpEd teachers is a big loving mistake.

I'm specifically interested in language interventions at the secondary (6th-12th grade) level because my students need to learn how to comprehend and use complex modifying phrases and subordinate clauses and vocabulary acquisition strategies if they want to gain expertise in literally any knowledge area. Most of my students cannot effectively use Wikipedia and skate through courses like science and social studies with a terrible surface level understanding of what they're trying to learn. These strategies are not taught by special education or regular ed teachers, but most schools don't have therapists with the knowledge base to implement them because subordinate clauses are complicated and tbh I don't know how to teach them effectively yet, but I know I can focus on doing so in the coming school year.

My new school is way less crazy but it's 93%+ white and it pisses me off that my old district is taking advantage of those poor families' lack of knowledge about the services their children are entitled to.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
this thread makes me appreciate my brains for being mostly normal. thank you, brains.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

So I sometimes wonder if I have ADHD. I'm 25. Is any doctor going to care enough to do something about it or should I not even bother?

Depends on a couple of factors and it can help a lot. I don't take anything anymore and mostly things have worked out for me, but I think if I had different needs or if I was in a different place in my life I'd go back.

I do think it can work and can make stuff easier - I know a number of my projects that I don't think I'd have been as effective on if I didn't have the assist. But really all stuff is up to you and you're the one affected by the decision so go hog wild!

If it is work related (and you hate your job) switching to something that is more reactive can be helpful just overall, since the problems are in front of you and usually urgent enough that you can stay on task.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

this thread makes me appreciate my brains for being mostly normal. thank you, brains.

It's a perfect 1:30 scale model of a normal brain.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

Good old Abby Normal

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Also Diqnol if you are having problems socially and all, which some people do, even as adults, you should try being really good looking so people just put up with your poo poo anyway.

That's another pro tip from mafia darling CCKeane.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Also Diqnol if you are having problems socially and all, which some people do, even as adults, you should try being really good looking so people just put up with your poo poo anyway.

from my personal experience of being a super hot dude I can confirm this is true

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

from my personal experience of being a super hot dude I can confirm this is true

I got my last job by winking and flexing.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Asiina posted:

Sorry, but this is really rude. If someone says they think they have a disorder that is adversly affecting their life (which btw is the classification for a disorder/illness), it's a total dick move to say "well if you have this thing that totally may not exist, getting it treated will make your life worse."

There are problems with diagnosing people because medicine and psychology and psychiatry are not perfect but all these people are doing the best with the tools they have available to them. Sometimes things get misdiagnosed, which is why there should be strict followups after any new medication to make sure that it's working appropriately and that as many potential side effects are known, but that doesn't mean we stop giving out medication.

Why is it rude to point out long term effects of drugs that most prescribers don't mention? My tone in that post sucked rear end but your problem is with the content of the post.

If we agree that there are a lot of incorrect diagnoses out there, and we agree that drug therapy is not the answer for many people, how is it rude to offer a dissenting opinion to a chorus of "yes go get diagnosed/on drugs" when dude specifically asked for opinions?

I disagree with your second point. The system we have is not anywhere near the best we can do. There have been multiple examples in the last few pages of how messed up it is. Mental health treatment in America is not merely imperfect, it is broken to the point where it is actively harmful. It is killing people.

There SHOULD be follow-ups. There SHOULD be guidelines about when medications are changed and discontinued. Nobody SHOULD have to suffer in a broken system. But this is not the reality of things.

The reality is that there are class action lawsuits coming against Johnson & Johnson because boys and men were not warned that Risperdal could make them develop breasts and lactate. This is coming AFTER J&J had to pay billions in a fraud case involving Risperdal.

The reality is that most families are not warned that the antidepressant their teenage son is on increases the risk of suicide or violent crimes.

The reality is that 80% of the medications I took as a mental health patient carry black box warnings and I was never warned about any of them. Not even once. The reality is that on a follow-up visit to my prescriber, I told her I was worried about continuing to take Zyprexa because I'd gained ten pounds in a month and my sugar cravings were only getting stronger, and she looked me in the eye and asked if I'd rather be fat or crazy. The reality is that patients are made complicit in their own suffering by complying with drug therapy that is harmful, and noncompliance can land you a fresh new diagnosis of oppositional defiance disorder and/or stick you with a court order that says "take your meds or you will be involuntarily committed or possibly go to jail"

That is not health care. That is not the best we can do.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I got my last job by winking and flexing.

and now cckeane's business card says "CCKeane: Engineer, Advisor, part-time mime"

Why put a label on it and call it a disorder/illness?

you're losing me, here, lutr

can you state the core of your argument in 1 sentence? i won't misinterpret it, i swear, i just see you arguing three different things simultaneously and i have no idea what your stance is

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Ernie. posted:

you're losing me, here, lutr

can you state the core of your argument in 1 sentence? i won't misinterpret it, i swear, i just see you arguing three different things simultaneously and i have no idea what your stance is

My stance is that we need a total overhaul to the entire mental health system and one of the most important things that needs to change is that if our main treatment option is radically altering the brains of mental health patients, we need to be drat certain that the brains we're altering are actually not functioning correctly, and at the moment there is currently no way to do that in a scientifically viable manner so IMO a good deal of psychiatry is unethical and actively harming/killing patients.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

It's not a social thing, it's a focus thing. I have a LOT of trouble keeping focus. So far I've been able to handle everything in my life just fine, I just annoy some people because they expect undivided attention and I tend to have trouble giving that even when I try :(

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
A friend of a friend (the founder of Grooveshark) was just found dead in his apartment today after committing suicide. He was 28.

Seems apropos given the discussion today, though he was in some pretty bad legal trouble so maybe it's not exactly comparable. Still sucks.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What no :(

I loved grooveshark

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i usually hate amy schumer's stuff, but her star wars gq bit nowadays is great

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

i usually hate amy schumer's stuff

what? why?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Comedy isn't funny

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ernie. posted:

i usually hate amy schumer's stuff, but her star wars gq bit nowadays is great

I don't care whether she is funny or not because Amy Schumer is totes sexy.

Kumbamontu posted:

A friend of a friend (the founder of Grooveshark) was just found dead in his apartment today after committing suicide. He was 28.

Seems apropos given the discussion today, though he was in some pretty bad legal trouble so maybe it's not exactly comparable. Still sucks.

Sorry to hear this Kumba :(

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

I don't care whether she is funny or not because Amy Schumer is totes sexy

I actually had this conversation with pmom today. I don't understand why she's perceived as attractive.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

She isn't hollywood hot or anything but she is a beautiful woman :shobon:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I mean I don't even think she's that

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

I actually had this conversation with pmom today. I don't understand why she's perceived as attractive.

Idgi either except funny people are auto-hotter

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
because she has a cute face and I like fat chicks.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
what a charming conversation

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think that's silly, taste.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
My sister saw trainwreck and said it was good! I want to see it. I really like her show & stand-up.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapitalistPig posted:

because she has a cute face and I like fat chicks.

If you read this as if it's coming out of the avatar, it's just funny.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

TMMadman posted:

If you read this as if it's coming out of the avatar, it's just funny.

I read EVERYONE''S posts as if they are coming out of their avatar.

In fact I refuse to believe that everyone isn't just their avatar irl.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I find it surprising because I think she has an unflattering face!

~preferences sure are weird I guess~

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

I don't care whether she is funny or not because Amy Schumer is totes sexy.

Tremendous Taste posted:

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

She isn't hollywood hot or anything but she is a beautiful woman :shobon:

guys what the gently caress

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also, maybe it's just my take, but her sense of humor is very SNL sophomorish

it doesn't feel like she brought any sense of whimsy into any of her acts/bits/jokes etc.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ernie. posted:

guys what the gently caress

What? I think shes an attractive lady. Is there a problem with that?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Physical attractiveness is pretty important to any celebrity but especially those who are currently in a bit of a scandal from posing in sexually suggestive fashions with a Disney property :laugh:

We can talk about it without it being grade school hot or not

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

What? I think shes an attractive lady. Is there a problem with that?

yes. you saying it out loud is a problem.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm just saying I'd treat her to an open mic night if you know what I mean.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

Physical attractiveness is pretty important to any celebrity but especially those who are currently in a bit of a scandal from posing in sexually suggestive fashions with a Disney property :laugh:

We can talk about it without it being grade school hot or not

YOU SEE WHAT YOU GUYS DID

NOW TASTE IS ALTERNATING BETWEEN IRONIC AND HONEST MID-SENTENCE

YOU BROKE HIM

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ernie. posted:

yes. you saying it out loud is a problem.

Well, whatever it ain't my problem if it is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

Well, whatever it ain't my problem if it is one.

i, personally, would appreciate it if you didn't turn this thread into a 'HAHA WE'RE BOYS AND HERE'S WHAT MY DICK THINKS' conversation :shrug: