Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Quantum Finger posted:

Donald Trump is terrifying in that there is a deeply fascist Id in the republican party.

Is Donald Trump A Fascist?

(yes)

Written by a libertarian, so you know it's good!

"Just a few weeks ago, Donald Trump was a crank and joke, living proof that making lots of money doesn’t mean you have the answers and further proof that being a capitalist doesn’t mean you necessarily like or understand capitalism."

Yes Mr. Libertarian, I'm sure Donald Trump neither likes nor understands capitalism, and this whole thing isn't just pathetic in-group/out-group posturing supported by the merest suggestion of actual facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OAquinas posted:

Well, would you? If you were just picking up a single guy and driving him somewhere, why would you think it was the scion of the Bush line, the standard bearer of the establishment wing of the Grand Old Party? You'd might note the resemblence but just conclude it was another dude who looks like a sack of potatoes with glasses.

I mean I would but that's because I, like the rest of you, am a huge politics nerd and not an immigrant cab driver in San Francisco.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Just gonna post this again for the new page because everyone should see it:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, at the least surprising media event of the year: Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Joe Lieberman in New York.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-the-worlds-greatest-troll/

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
On the front page of CNN right now:

They even included the letter of support Jeb wrote to the Swift Boaters.

It'd be the funniest goddamn thing if this ends up backfiring on ol' Jeb.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, at the least surprising media event of the year: Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Joe Lieberman in New York.

The three amigoes are back! Wonder who they're watching youtube videos about this time around.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

What I'm learning is that there are people whose voting preferences are Trump>Hillary>Bush.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Unlike Trump, he does have something of an image to maintain, after all.

quote:

What I'm learning is that there are people whose voting preferences are Trump>Hillary>Bush.

Good old-fashioned American independents doing their darndest to fight the dynasties.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GalacticAcid posted:

The Uber Election continues.

Anyone on the left who isn't engaging with the politics of uber is a fool. I will give Hillary credit for being the only one explicitly and positively talking about the internet as an economic matchmaker.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

This is what is so amazing about Trump - it's not so much that the media have leaped to cover him so much as the fact that the serious Republican candidates keep taking the bait and getting dragged down to his level. They're going to spend months dragging themselves through this tabloid quagmire.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

DaveWoo posted:

Wow, real journalism from CNN

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

DaveWoo posted:

Nobody in the base is going to give a poo poo because they hate Kerry even more than McCain. At least the media is pointing out the hypocrisy even thought you'd have to be blind to miss it. The only time the GOP cares about decorum is when they're attacking people who are also republicans.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

Good old-fashioned American independents doing their darndest to fight the dynasties.

I'm glad of it.

McDowell posted:

Anyone on the left who isn't engaging with the politics of uber is a fool. I will give Hillary credit for being the only one explicitly and positively talking about the internet as an economic matchmaker.

It's going to likely be another decade or so before we finally see American politicians catch up to the whole idea of the Internet being the impetus for a massive shift in how we approach the economy. Until then expect more companies like Uber.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

"Palin calls both McCain and Trump heroes".

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Brannock posted:

It's going to likely be another decade or so before we finally see American politicians catch up to the whole idea of the Internet being the impetus for a massive shift in how we approach the economy. Until then expect more companies like Uber.

Makes sense considering how a ton of politicians are unhip old guys who are dead set in living the 80s life.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

"Palin calls both McCain and Trump heroes".

Crossposted from the USPol thread:

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Sen. McCain dedicated his life to serving our country, and in my humble opinion the sacrifices made by all ethical service members are heroic -- putting it all on the line to defend freedom IS heroic -- and Donald Trump is a hero in another arena." ~ Sarah Palin.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Kasich team is getting ready for tomorrow's announcement which is sure to upend the race.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"The conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, who has a substantial following among grass-roots Republicans, came to the defense of Donald J. Trump on Monday as prominent leaders in the party stepped up their criticism of Mr. Trump’s pointed comments about Senator Sen. John McCain.

Such a defense is not entirely surprising, since Mr. Limbaugh’s distaste for the Republican establishment is deep and well documented. But the supportive words from Mr. Limbaugh may provide Mr. Trump with the inoculation he needs to survive the scorn of the party’s elders long enough to be included in the presidential debates."

It's happening!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vox Nihili posted:

"The conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, who has a substantial following among grass-roots Republicans, came to the defense of Donald J. Trump on Monday as prominent leaders in the party stepped up their criticism of Mr. Trump’s pointed comments about Senator Sen. John McCain.

Such a defense is not entirely surprising, since Mr. Limbaugh’s distaste for the Republican establishment is deep and well documented. But the supportive words from Mr. Limbaugh may provide Mr. Trump with the inoculation he needs to survive the scorn of the party’s elders long enough to be included in the presidential debates."

It's happening!

http://pastebin.com/WQ1pazbt

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Joementum posted:

Wasn't that the title of a Beach Boys song?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

If anyone likes following the 2016 horse race (basically everyone here), I'd recommend checking out With All Due Respect. It's a daily 30 minutes that Bloomberg TV airs with the guys who wrote Game Change, Mark Halperin and John Heilemann. They're doing a pretty great job getting interviews with all the candidates, and it's presented in a way similar to Pardon The Interruption (if you watch ESPN). Overall good stuff for those that can't satisfy their 2016 appetite enough.

They put their episodes on YouTube now too. Today's episode had interviews with O Malley and Cruz. Also they have interviews with Trump pretty much every day (I think Trump must owe Bloomberg one or something, because they ALWAYS have him on).

Today's ep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9gqQrSWQYY

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

It's happening!

can someone make a trump_its_happening.gif please thanks

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DaveWoo posted:

good I'm glad of it.

the swift boat poo poo was such blatant hypocrisy from the "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS!!!!" crowd I hope it sinks Bush's chances. That piece of poo poo deserves everything he gets.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Vox Nihili posted:

These folks are just low information voters (even by "average person" standards). In my opinion they are also loving stupid voters who are unlikely to ever be anything other than low information.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rocks posted:

can someone make a trump_its_happening.gif please thanks

OP

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I hope the GOP oroborous gets diarrhea and dies of sepsis

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rocks posted:

I'd recommend checking out With All Due Respect. Today's episode had interviews with O Malley and Cruz.

In fact, O'Malley's appearance has already been clipped by a GOP PAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKfYq24eWGg

Oh, Martin :allears:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I am constantly baffled at how terrible a candidate he is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Slate Action posted:

If Trump ran as a third party candidate, how much of the national vote would he have to earn to seriously damage the Republican candidate? Would 2-3% be enough?

The GOP quite literally cannot afford to lose a single vote to a third party if they want any chance at the White House. Short of the Democratic candidate burning the flag on a pyre of bibles the Dems have a pretty big vote advantage just from demographics.

Trump taking even 1-2% means that even a depressed turnout should have a win on a similar level to Obama in 2012. If Trump took 10% or more of the votes in the general election almost all of those would be people who would've voted for the GOP otherwise, giving the Dems a potential Reagan-grade landslide.

A downside is that if the 46-30-20 split happened you'd have the right wing emboldened as gently caress because "well if Jeb/Trump hadn't run against the other guy we'd have beaten Clinton" would be their narrative and the "silent majority" would be, in their eyes, verified as a real thing because Hilary didn't get more than 50% of the votes but the 2 right wing parties combined did.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Back in 2007 no one thought Barack could win - if we elect someone with vision it could make a big difference while Congress catches up. The CEO of Uber was praising Obamacare and the 'liberation' of being able to buy healthcare independent of employment. Hopefully Bernie sees how to us the 'sharing economy' as an opportunity, not an obstacle. But if it's coming from Hillary at least we know it exists even among 'serious' people.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Joementum posted:

In fact, O'Malley's appearance has already been clipped by a GOP PAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKfYq24eWGg

Oh, Martin :allears:

he's done lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I'm curious why the GOP is bothering to attack O'Malley at all...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

"Bernie and Hillary are untouchable and we're too divided atm. Let's just take a potshot on a politician that's crashing and burning, that should boost morale."

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Rocks posted:

If anyone likes following the 2016 horse race (basically everyone here), I'd recommend checking out With All Due Respect. It's a daily 30 minutes that Bloomberg TV airs with the guys who wrote Game Change, Mark Halperin and John Heilemann. They're doing a pretty great job getting interviews with all the candidates, and it's presented in a way similar to Pardon The Interruption (if you watch ESPN). Overall good stuff for those that can't satisfy their 2016 appetite enough.

They put their episodes on YouTube now too. Today's episode had interviews with O Malley and Cruz. Also they have interviews with Trump pretty much every day (I think Trump must owe Bloomberg one or something, because they ALWAYS have him on).

Today's ep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9gqQrSWQYY

Goddamn, I can't believe how smarmy and bad Cruz is.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Two things you have to give Trump credit for is he is an absolute master of Twitter, which is arguably a more effective method of campaigning in 2015 than retail politics, and that he never. stops. talking. So he gets his message out instantly (having near 100% id and 3+ million twitter followers helps, the other candidates can't compete with that), and if he does say something offensive, by the time it's been reported and the media is trying to craft a narrative for it, he's already framed the subject himself on twitter (nuancing his 'Mexicans are rapists' argument, changing the McCain diss into a critique on treatment of vets), and moves on to the next thing. He's so fast.

So yeah, while he's still not a "real" candidate in that he has 0 shot at winning the general, he's running circles around his GOP opposition. None of them combined have said a single newsworthy thing in weeks, other than responding to the latest thing Donald Trump has said.

It's glorious.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Lastgirl posted:

"Bernie and Hillary are untouchable and we're too divided atm. Let's just take a potshot on a politician that's crashing and burning, that should boost morale."

To be fair, it does boost my moral.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP quite literally cannot afford to lose a single vote to a third party if they want any chance at the White House. Short of the Democratic candidate burning the flag on a pyre of bibles the Dems have a pretty big vote advantage just from demographics.

Trump taking even 1-2% means that even a depressed turnout should have a win on a similar level to Obama in 2012. If Trump took 10% or more of the votes in the general election almost all of those would be people who would've voted for the GOP otherwise, giving the Dems a potential Reagan-grade landslide.

A downside is that if the 46-30-20 split happened you'd have the right wing emboldened as gently caress because "well if Jeb/Trump hadn't run against the other guy we'd have beaten Clinton" would be their narrative and the "silent majority" would be, in their eyes, verified as a real thing because Hilary didn't get more than 50% of the votes but the 2 right wing parties combined did.

Nah they'll just conclude that Bush was a RINO and try again with some other neo-confederate cum stain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Legitimizes him, which might in turn make Khaleesi waste time dealing with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lastgirl posted:

I'd venture to say that this NN debacle has shown that Bernie isn't untouchable.

• Locked thread