Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Alberta insolvency rates rise as oilsands slump

quote:

For the past two months, every time Jama Dirie had to make a purchase, he pulled his red Visa card out of his wallet.

He used it to pay for all his food and gas, but didn't make any payments on it.

So it is no surprise that his only credit card is now maxed out at its $4,000 limit.

"I finish it now, and I don't know what is next," he says, standing outside a provincial employment office in Edmonton.

Dirie used to work at a camp in Alberta's oilsands, but has been unemployed for nearly a year. He has been trying to land a job with a security company, but remains out of work, with no income and a credit card he can't afford to pay off.

Common occurrence

It's the type of story that Freida Richer hears every day in her downtown Edmonton office where she works as a bankruptcy trustee with the firm Grant Thornton.

Bankruptcy trustee Freida Richer says people are relying more and more on credit to supplement their income during the economic downturn. (CBC)

"With the economic downturn, people are relying more and more on credit to supplement their income and to supplement their habits and lifestyles, which they aren't able to adjust or change."

According to Industry Canada data, insolvency rates in Alberta were up 8.3 per cent during the first quarter of this year compared to the same time in 2014.

Richer says that increase has translated into more people struggling to make their minimum monthly payments and turning up at offices like hers looking for help.

She blames easy access to credit and the "buffet" of available cards, each with its own incentive and rewards.

That coupled with low savings has left people overextended, and Richer stresses it's not just an issue for those who have suddenly found themselves out of work.

Generations hooked on credit

According to a recent report by Statistics Canada, Canadians carry nearly $520 billion in consumer debt. Richer says she sees that burden spread across the generations.

"I see them come in younger and younger in my office and that is really troubling."

Her youngest client was just 20 years old.

Richer says young adults are left squeezed by record levels of student loans. Because they are used to making purchases online, they also frequently rely on credit cards instead of cash.

At the other end of the spectrum, she says, is another worrying trend. Seniors are coming in with low-fixed pension incomes, "carrying debt that they simply can't continue to pay."

She says what is encouraging is that unlike the downturn in 2009, she is seeing more Albertans avoid full bankruptcy by opting to file a consumer proposal.

The legally binding process is often a lesser known alternative to bankruptcy.

Working with a trustee, a person makes an offer to creditors, agreeing to pay of a portion of the outstanding debt in monthly payments.

It generally has a less severe effect on a credit rating because a person is able to pay off a part of what is owed, instead of walking away from all of the debt.

Richer says because filings of consumer proposal are up, she believes that while people are struggling with their finances, most aren't in a completely desperate situation.

"It tells me that there is still money here in Alberta."

hahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

quote:

"With the economic downturn, people are relying more and more on credit to supplement their income and to supplement their habits and lifestyles, which they aren't able to adjust or change."

I would love to hear more about these lifestyles they aren't able to change

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

triplexpac posted:

F-150 complete with trailer and ATV, 500k+ homes that they have been renovating with brand new everything, eating out 5 nights a week. You know, just enough to get by.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

triplexpac posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Expect many more of these sob stories going forward.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lexicon posted:

I'm ready!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress anyone that was making Oilsands money and not saving any of it (in fact, going into huge debt). I shall very much enjoy watching them reap what they sowed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lexicon posted:

I'm a bit of an optimist but hearing this helps confirm my theory that I'm not going to have any trouble selling my low end condo in a few months.

I seriously don't know how you max out a credit card and get any sleep at night. Teaching piano to get through university there was a couple of years where I'd have to float a balance of maybe $500 around mid September for a couple of weeks just until I got my monthly paycheck, even knowing that I'd have it paid off in time to avoid any fees but not having the money right at my disposal was nerve wracking.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

gently caress anyone that was making Oilsands money and not saving any of it (in fact, going into huge debt). I shall very much enjoy watching them reap what they sowed.

The most infuriating thing is that this applies so much more to the province and even country vs the average worker. How did we not have a fund that made Norway's look like chump change?

Alberta didn't even take a share for them selves, they took nothing. They were a land owner who let a mining company come and dig up their back yard, scattering trash and toxic soup everywhere then bail. "Well some of the workmen shared their lunches with me, and the mining company re-paved my driveway to get their heavy equipment in so it was good for me! If I had charged them a fee to dig up all the gold in my back yard I wouldn't have gotten a new driveway or those stale timbits!".

Just amazing.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 20, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

The most infuriating thing is that this applies so much more to the province and even country vs the average worker. How did we not have a fund that made Norway's look like chump change?

Because Alberta doesn't want to share what it gets from resources but has no problem pissing and moaning whenever another province balks at a pipeline being put into their neighbourhood.

The Alberta way is to bruteforce poo poo it wants and blow through everything it gets.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PT6A posted:

What pisses me off is these same shitheads that are now claiming EI will be the first ones to bitch about higher taxes as soon as they're employed again.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Solution, kill everyone in Alberta. I don't see a downside to this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

1500quidporsche posted:

What pisses me off is these same shitheads that are now claiming EI will be the first ones to bitch about higher taxes as soon as they're employed again.

It's called rational self interest, an admiral trait!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 20, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I know theyre the minority but I have friends that live out there now because of work (not oil sands related) that happen to be functioing debt free members of society. No McMansions, no F150s, no maxed out credit cards, and of the opinion that taxes are in fact good when used correctly. Can we find a way to save them before we doom the province to its Mordor fate? :ohdear:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

It's called rational self interest, an admiral trait!

That's not rational self interest, that's pig-headed short-sightedness. Rational self-interest would be acknowledging the need for a robust social safety net in the case that unemployment or injury or whatever ends up happening to you [again].

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My lovely friend had to move there and isn't enjoying it. She showed us her drivers license and she's actually crying in it, they had to take a few pictures for one to be accepted because you can't be obviously crying in your license picture. That's how bad Alberta is, made a grown woman cry when it finally hit her she's there to stay for the next few years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

My lovely friend had to move there and isn't enjoying it. She showed us her drivers license and she's actually crying in it, they had to take a few pictures for one to be accepted because you can't be obviously crying in your license picture. That's how bad Alberta is, made a grown woman cry when it finally hit her she's there to stay for the next few years.

Jesus, it's really not that bad.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hahahahahah

This is particularly rich in the context of all the articles that told us that Canadian consumer debt wasn't anything to worry about because insolvency rates were low!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

sounds like an emotionally stable person who does well with minor amounts of stress, she will get far in life

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Everyone I know who went to work in the oilsands is colossally bad with money. Not only did they move to Fort Mac and immediately rack up ridiculous debt on toys and fail to save a penny, many of them took their newfound "wealth" as an opportunity to buy a house back home (Labrador West) at peak loving boom. If you think the bubble in Vancouver or Toronto is bad, imagine spending $350-$450k+ on a bungalow in the middle of nowhere Labrador. Now imagine doing that after watching your parents struggle to practically give the same house away about 10 years ago. It takes a special kind of stupid to do that.

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 20, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Everyone I know who went to work in the oilsands is colossally bad with money. Not only did they move to Fort Mac and immediately rack up ridiculous debt on toys and fail to save a penny, many of them took their newfound "wealth" as an opportunity to buy a house back home (Labrador West) at peak loving boom. If you think the bubble in Vancouver or Toronto is bad, imagine spending $350-$450k+ on a bungalow in the middle of nowhere Labrador. Now imagine doing that after watching your parents struggle to sell practically give the same house away about 10 years ago. It takes a special kind of stupid to do that.

Well, they sure don't pick 'em for their brains.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

Jesus, it's really not that bad.

Yeah, seriously. There's a certain sort of BC'er who thinks their home province is an earthly utopia, and that Alberta is the deepest hellhole imaginable. Both opinions, lack nuance, shall we say.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Edmonton?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

if you cant manage to keep from breaking down in tears for 30 seconds in public to get a picture taken you probably shouldnt be allowed out of the psyche ward yet

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15319046/130-RAVEN-Avenue-LABRADOR-CITY-Newfoundland-Labrador-A2V0B5

$445k earth dollars in a town with one dirt road in from bumfuck Quebec and one dirt road out to bumfuck Labrador.

Or if you can't afford that, just $150k will get you a lovely :airquote: mini-home :airquote:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15596430/3033-WALSH-RIVER-RD-LABRADOR-CITY-Newfoundland-Labrador-A2V2S7

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15319046/130-RAVEN-Avenue-LABRADOR-CITY-Newfoundland-Labrador-A2V0B5

$445k earth dollars in a town with one dirt road in from bumfuck Quebec and one dirt road out to bumfuck Labrador.

Or if you can't afford that, just $150k will get you a lovely :airquote: mini-home :airquote:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15596430/3033-WALSH-RIVER-RD-LABRADOR-CITY-Newfoundland-Labrador-A2V2S7

What the hell is a mini-home? 4 bedrooms and 1430 sqft isn't particularly mini.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Had I bought the house I was offered when I moved up there I could have flipped it for at least 100k profit when I left. :/

Hindsight, man.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Square Peg posted:

What the hell is a mini-home? 4 bedrooms and 1430 sqft isn't particularly mini.

Hint: it's a trailer.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

El Scotch posted:

Had I bought the house I was offered when I moved up there I could have flipped it for at least 100k profit when I left. :/

Hindsight, man.

My parents sold their house in 2002 for $80k and they threw in their 2 bedroom, furnished cabin (a really loving nice cabin too). You can't time that poo poo, don't feel too bad. It's amazing to see people who surely saw their parents go through a number of boom/bust cycles, strikes, threatened layoffs, etc. move back and spend almost half a million on something that's fundamentally worthless.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

hahahahahah

Saskatchewan guy here, I've read so many financial statements from these dumbfuck oil drillers. Even when they were making a ridiculous amount of money they were still barely hanging on due to their buying a new truck every year and a half and other stupid poo poo. I knew that if they ever stopped making that kind of money, they'd be hosed.

And lo and behold that's exactly what happened.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some suburb north of Edmonton. She's a tough lady but coming from Victoria, Edmonton suburbs are a soul-destroying frozen/sweltering hell hole. She's huge into ocean stuff, rock climbing, trail running, general rugged outdoorsyness, and hates driving. It took her by surprise really, she thought she was ok with it, but getting an Alberta license just made it sink in that she's stuck there. I can't say I wouldn't potentially have a similar reaction at least once if I were in her shoes. Taking someone born and raised in Victoria and plopping them somewhere like Edmonton. It's like taking an elf away from their magical forest, they slowly wither and die or become something corrupted and evil (not unlike an orc). Alberta is Mordor.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Some suburb north of Edmonton. She's a tough lady but coming from Victoria, Edmonton suburbs are a soul-destroying frozen/sweltering hell hole. She's huge into ocean stuff, rock climbing, trail running, general rugged outdoorsyness, and hates driving. It took her by surprise really, she thought she was ok with it, but getting an Alberta license just made it sink in that she's stuck there. I can't say I wouldn't potentially have a similar reaction at least once if I were in her shoes. Taking someone born and raised in Victoria and plopping them somewhere like Edmonton. It's like taking an elf away from their magical forest, they slowly wither and die or become something corrupted and evil (not unlike an orc). Alberta is Mordor.

This is really dumb.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

This is really dumb.

He is "Joking".

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Some suburb north of Edmonton.
If it's St. Albert that's pretty much the nicest place in Alberta, other than the weather. Make of that what you will.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Alberta didn't even take a share for them selves, they took nothing. They were a land owner who let a mining company come and dig up their back yard, scattering trash and toxic soup everywhere then bail. "Well some of the workmen shared their lunches with me, and the mining company re-paved my driveway to get their heavy equipment in so it was good for me! If I had charged them a fee to dig up all the gold in my back yard I wouldn't have gotten a new driveway or those stale timbits!".

Just amazing.

Alberta also has fairly low royalty rates so in addition to not having a Norway like sovereign fund to isolate slush money from the economy, companies got to create mordor while having to only pay pennies on the dollar in taxes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

etalian posted:

Alberta also has fairly low royalty rates so in addition to not having a Norway like sovereign fund to isolate slush money from the economy, companies got to create mordor while having to only pay pennies on the dollar in taxes.

Oh and they are never going to pay for full remediation costs just make it look "pretty" but its basically throwing a coat of paint over a wall someone poo poo all over.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo, 450k for that in Labrador City? :stare:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh look prairie white trash all butt hurt because we're telling it like it is. smh

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Sounds like someone needs to loving grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Sounds like someone needs to loving grow up.

Seriously, there's plenty of opportunity in the Calgary or Edmonton areas for any of the things you mentioned (minus the ocean, obviously) if you just drive a while. Asking for all that stuff to be in the city seems a bit much, to be honest, and if Victoria really has all that without having to drive, then I guess she was stupid to have left.