Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ghostinmyshell posted:

drat! BugdadEX down in 4:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhmbzwASX0

I still haven't done the encounter yet. Seemed like everyone did it the first week and stopped doing it like BismarkEX :smith:

There's always a boatload of PF's for it every day/night in Excal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
When going for a mix of vit and str I try to replace the str gear that has accuracy with the vit gear that doesn't. Is that a good idea when mixing the two
? The law accessories have so much accuracy on them :(

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

When going for a mix of vit and str I try to replace the str gear that has accuracy with the vit gear that doesn't. Is that a good idea when mixing the two
? The law accessories have so much accuracy on them :(

The acc caps so far are very forgiving, though that'll probably change tomorrow with Savage. Because of this, picking which accessories are str and which are vit based on wanting to minimize accuracy isn't a bad idea. Parry is also another stat that you don't really need. Yes, even if you're a DRK.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TooManyUzukis posted:

The acc caps so far are very forgiving, though that'll probably change tomorrow with Savage. Because of this, picking which accessories are str and which are vit based on wanting to minimize accuracy isn't a bad idea. Parry is also another stat that you don't really need. Yes, even if you're a DRK.

But if I don't stack parry I can't kick as often.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TooManyUzukis posted:

Has anyone actually teased out the Accuracy caps yet? I'm trying to decide whether to bother pentamelding right-side stuff for Scholar or not. I'm guessing Savage Alex will be somewhere in the range of Ravana Ex, where I'm missing at about a 4-5% rate (base 354 Accuracy).

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
we probably won't see stat testing in force until people get esoterics/alex savage gear (and then only if they're the same item level) because its hard to test stat weights with no gear variance

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Vermain posted:

Has anyone actually teased out the Accuracy caps yet? I'm trying to decide whether to bother pentamelding right-side stuff for Scholar or not. I'm guessing Savage Alex will be somewhere in the range of Ravana Ex, where I'm missing at about a 4-5% rate (base 354 Accuracy).

Rav Ex was ~T13 level, Savage is almost certainly going to be higher than that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tarranon posted:

people are still doing bismarck all the time tho

I've attempted Bismarck EX three times with goon groups and have yet to pass it :smith:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Goons are just pubbies with :10bux:.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

How much DR does Virus end up being, anyways? Around the stated 15%?

I'm probably completely wrong, but I think when you use a stat down debuff on an NPC, it just decreases their damage in that category by the listed amount.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

seiferguy posted:

What I tend to do is be in cleric stance before a pull, mainly so I can switch it off at any point, since turning it on has a 5 second cooldown to turn it off. I start with Aero 2 > Aero (you'll start with Aero 3 once you unlock it since it has a 24 second DoT) to get my DoT going, then Stone 2/3 until the tank is starting to get around 60-50%, drop Cleric Stance and start healing. Once the tank is in a reliable place and the mobs aren't huge, I'll throw a regen on him, then go back into CS, and apply any DoTs that have worn off and then back to my Stone spells. Using divine seal before any HoT spells (Medica 2 and Regen) will increase the amount of healing regenerated, and divine seal only has a 1 minute cooldown. Combine Medica 2, Regen, and Asylum (which you'll unlock) and your tank should have plenty of HoT for you to DPS for awhile until those wear off.

If you switch into CS and things immediately go haywire to where you can't wait 5 seconds for the cooldown to be done, stoneskin is unaffected by mind / intelligence and you can cast that to allow the tank some breathing room to turn off CS and start healing.

One thing I haven't figured out with the new rotation is if Aero is still worth casting over Stone 3, since Stone 3's potency is higher than that of a full Aero, but Aero has instant cast, which can be beneficial in some cases.

edit: it should go without saying, but never cast your HoTs before a pull since that will generate enmity and make the mobs come after you. If a HoT hasn't dissipated since the last encounter, stick close to your tank so they can use flash / whatever AoE enmity generating tool to pull them off of you.

edit 2: to echo the previous poster, swiftcast is great, and not just for raise. I use it for medica 2 all the time because I'd rather have people stay alive than have to revive them :v: (also to avoid the MP hit from Raise)

Good to know I'm on the right track - most of this is what I do already. My biggest fear is on fights that I don't know - MP management. It hasn't seemed so bad thus far, but, I know a lot of the fights I'm in right now are trivialized content.

I'm working on getting swift cast - but was encouraged to hit 60 first by way of making some other things more simplistic.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I really need to buckle down and kill bismarck before I get left behind in the dust like in 2.X, I know all the poo poo but I keep tanking for groups that can't pass phase 1

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So who wants to do savage alexander tomorrow? I just got notice that one of my regular raiders had real life poo poo happen so he has to take a hiatus of unknown amount of time so I need to find a relatively permanent replacement.

We need a dps, preferrably a melee dps, for late night east coast raiding.

This is our ffgoons thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27457

Right now we're on a summer schedule which is to say I'm working a summer job while I wait for college to start up and they don't have a set schedule for me. So while we know that we always start raiding at 10pm EST we don't know what days we actually raid and just play it by ear for now. That should only last another few weeks or a month though, then we'll be talking about a more permanent schedule.

Right now all i can say is that we always raid tuesdays and then figure out what other night we'll raid after we finish on tuesday.

If you want to get rolling with the new savage coil raiding starting tomorrow post on ffgoons.

This is new content and we don't really know what it's going to be like so if you've never raided before and want to start or just want to get into a group after coming back to the game for heavensward post. I need to find somebody by tomorrow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

seiferguy posted:

I've attempted Bismarck EX three times with goon groups and have yet to pass it :smith:

Keep trying. I believe in you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

kirbysuperstar posted:

Keep trying. I believe in you.

Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
ISHGARDIAN MUFFINS ARE LIFE.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
but wait do you guys believe in me too

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Farg posted:

Eh....

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Farg posted:

Well..

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm kinda miffed about red script coming on Thursday instead of tomorrow. I wonder what the logic behind that is.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm kinda miffed about red script coming on Thursday instead of tomorrow. I wonder what the logic behind that is.

It's coming on thursday?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

bonewitch posted:

It's coming on thursday?

"*Patch 3.05 will be implemented in two separate maintenances. Adjustments to gatherer/crafter, including “red crafters' scrip” and ”red gatherers' scrip”, will be implemented in the maintenance scheduled on Jul. 23, 2015."

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Stormgale posted:

"*Patch 3.05 will be implemented in two separate maintenances. Adjustments to gatherer/crafter, including “red crafters' scrip” and ”red gatherers' scrip”, will be implemented in the maintenance scheduled on Jul. 23, 2015."

Ah, I didn't see that

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

There. Done with everything important. Fisher was surprisingly quick (50 > 60 in like 2 days).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

HelloPlatypus posted:

There. Done with everything important. Fisher was surprisingly quick (50 > 60 in like 2 days).

That's crazy! I'm only 60 Culinarian and 59 fishing (I'll finish tonight) but I only started like 2 weeks before HW. I'm gonna do Weaver and Carpenter when I get the leves for it. I'm hoping I can turn a tidy profit selling food for tomorrow./

EDIT: Alchemy has good skills too right? Ugggh omnicrafting is gonna take me forever.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 21, 2015

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Arrgytehpirate posted:

That's crazy! I'm only 60 Culinarian and 59 fishing (I'll finish tonight) but I only started like 2 weeks before HW. I'm gonna do Weaver and Carpenter when I get the leves for it. I'm hoping I can turn a tidy profit selling food for tomorrow./

EDIT: Alchemy has good skills too right? Ugggh omnicrafting is gonna take me forever.

ALC gets Comfort Zone at 50 and that's pretty key, but other than that ALC really just owns because so many different classes use compenents from it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HelloPlatypus posted:

ALC gets Comfort Zone at 50 and that's pretty key, but other than that ALC really just owns because so many different classes use compenents from it.

It's what, Holy water for treating Weaver and then the Stat ingredient for a Fuckton of crafted DoW and DoM gear right?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

HelloPlatypus posted:

ALC in HW is absolutely essential. Holy Water, [stat] Dissolvent, glues. It is madness.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

newbie here, just want to understand one thing before I get too invested in my current character:

I can pick up every single job on one character, every profession on one character. Is there even a reason to have alts? Am I understanding this correctly?

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Does anyone know what the deal is with the new fisher abilities? The desciptions on them are lacking at best. Specifically I'm looking at Snagging, Patience and the two Hookset abilities.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Telex posted:

newbie here, just want to understand one thing before I get too invested in my current character:

I can pick up every single job on one character, every profession on one character. Is there even a reason to have alts? Am I understanding this correctly?

The only reason to have an alt is if you wanted to raid with two groups of people a week or something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Vil posted:

This particularly comes up if you've got a bunch of friends who want to do harder content together. Sometimes the people you like as people aren't necessarily the people you like as players. A lot of us know someone who fits the bill of "that one really nice person who tries really hard and means really well, but still does 1/2 to 2/3 the DPS they ought to do for their job and gear level, or consistently reacts too slowly to mechanics".

Trying to keep a raid group of friends together is a lot harder than it initially sounds. Most of the time I've been playing so far it's been on Adamantoise in an FC of friends but seriously considering at this point doing a transfer to Excalibur in a couple weeks to join a goon FC and just make a small social LS for any of those friends who follow.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the new fisher abilities? The desciptions on them are lacking at best. Specifically I'm looking at Snagging, Patience and the two Hookset abilities.

Some fish, like corals, require Snagging to be set in order for them to be on the fishing table. Maps require that you turn on Snagging.
The two Hookset abilities are used when you've got a Patience buff up, to negate the miss chance from Patience. Precise is for tiny tugs, Powerful otherwise.
Fish Eyes reveals fish at holes that you can't fish up without Fish Eyes active. There might also be some holes that you can't even do without Fish Eyes? Unsure.

There is not a comprehensive list of what all you need Snagging or Fish Eyes to get, as far as I know.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Farg posted:

Sorry, ACT tells me not to believe in you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To clarify further, since it seemed like the abilities were worthless until I actually got myself a set of GP jewelry:

Using one of the Patience abilities can only be done while you aren't currently fishing, and puts you in a fishing stance. It gives you a 2-minute buff. During that time, you have access to the hooksets, which you use on individual fish in place of reeling.

e: I have yet to find a place where fish eyes doesn't fail.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Patience, when properly used along with the two Hookset skills, makes catching mooch / double mooch fish much less of a hassle. As long as that mechanic continues to exist it is the Best Skill.

I have no idea why they bothered making Chum into a skill though.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Patience, when properly used along with the two Hookset skills, makes catching mooch / double mooch fish much less of a hassle. As long as that mechanic continues to exist it is the Best Skill.

I've used Chum to sometimes eek out one more catch before patience runs out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

How much GP do you have to make that practical? I'm currently sitting at a hodgepodge of stuff that adds up to just enough GP to use patience 2 until my LTW gets high enought o make me a new set (or red scrips include rightside).

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
I started playing a week ago and am level 15 and like it so far as a lancer. I know mmos start out slow but like all the quests are kill '5 of these things' or 'perform some insignificant chore'. When do the quests start to pick up and be more substantive? Wish I could paste swtor level story stuff to ff14s better mechanics.

Clemocracy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Clemocracy posted:

I started playing a week ago and am level 15 and like it so far as a lancer. I know mmos start out slow but like all the quests are kill '5 of these things' or 'perform some insignificant chore'. When do the quests start to pick up and be more substantive?

Generally side mission quests while levelling (For a long while) will just be that, consider 1-50 like the training stage of Teaching anyone how MMO's work, the MSQ tries to be interesting and at 50 and beyond quests start being a little different/substantive.

• Locked thread