Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

i feel like you make this exact post three times a week

Yeah. I just can't keep up anymore. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Wait, are we now upset when our politicians aren't glib and calculating?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol at all the primary thread posters that moved to the uspol thread to talk about the election rather than move to the scary new subforum

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ThirdPartyView posted:

I, too, believe that poverty is a crime.

:hf:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol at all the primary thread posters that moved to the uspol thread to talk about the election rather than move to the scary new subforum

tbf I would be afraid to reside under your stern suzerainty as well

exmarx and aa are permissive kings

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yes

welcome to politics in the new millennium

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
My Yankee Candle died y'all :smith:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is literally why i like hillary clinton

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

There's a wide gulf between being glib and calculating, and being tone deaf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MIGF must be probated again

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the chick that runs hillarys twitter is pretty pro

why can't she exercise the same quality of judgment when hiring senior campaign staff as when hiring social media interns

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

sure, but he should've had an answer canned for this kind of situation. not having it shows an unforgivable lack of professionalism and a fatal misunderstanding of contemporary politics

Like, there's a laundry list of issues about race it would take 30 minutes to Google and have something to say about, or he could at least say "yeah I need to learn about," then schedule meetings with black political leaders and activists and listen to them. Neither of these are difficult and would certainly help him.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gravel Gravy posted:

This is a sign that the South shall rise again!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gravel Gravy posted:

Did you let it get too close to a stone wall?

Okay sorry that really sucked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sharkie posted:

Like, there's a laundry list of issues about race it would take 30 minutes to Google and have something to say about, or he could at least say "yeah I need to learn about," then schedule meetings with black political leaders and activists and listen to them. Neither of these are difficult and would certainly help him.

Hes not actually trying to win so I dont see the point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

:agreed:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Berke Negri posted:

who was the best vp of these united states

Theodore Roosevelt

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sharkie posted:

It turns out that listening to someone's problems and concerns is actually really good for you, both personally and politically. Who knew!

euphronius posted:

I think he's actually trying to win. He just won't.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

There's a wide gulf between being glib and calculating, and being tone deaf.

the thing is, any misstatement that plays into a narrative that is damaging to you is fatal in this era

you're invulnerable to anything that feeds into your mythology, though. which is why hillary can say as many dumb things as she wants and still cruise to victory to the half-hearted cheers of the nation's poor and minorities, and why The Donald can say whatever hideous thing he feels like

any politician is going to make these mistakes sometimes. the trick is to make it not stick - and that is hillary's political superpower

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

henry wallace was badass

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

PupsOfWar posted:

:agreed: After all, where else could guys like Smoothrich, Liberal L33t and The Insect Court get away with their posting (besides maybe GBS)? :v:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Right, but he is trying to get his message out, and I think at least a few moves towards acknowledging these issues would help spread his message to a wider audience, and gain traction in yoking his message to these other issues.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

It turns out that listening to someone's problems and concerns is actually really good for you, both personally and politically. Who knew!

no that is poison and should never be done because then you'll end up with an unrepresentative opinion based on some person's experiences

filtering any statement through a stringent vetting and carefully crafting the appropriate image is what's good for you politically

like, this is MIGF-mode but he's actually right

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

V. Illych L. posted:

any politician is going to make these mistakes sometimes. the trick is to make it not stick - and that is hillary's political superpower
To be fair the sheer volume of the inanity that has come out of the right wing over the last 25 years about the Clintons (and Obama) basically numbed Americans to criticisms of Hillary (and Obama, and Bill).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

PupsOfWar posted:

tbf I would be afraid to reside under your stern suzerainty as well

so far my only probie has been fishmech

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is a sign that the South shall rise again!

So would that be [url]http://www.yankeecandle.com/product/clean-cotton/_/R-1010728?mr:trackingCode=D4CC1002-F6D4-E311-9403001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=70087844935&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=101992557895&cm_mmc=PPC-_-Google-_-PLA[campaign]&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuLKtBRDPicmJyvu_qZMBEiQAzlGN5qfYIxd_hcSqxOo7F_pxKS1D4YOS8VtY2qhEAcZNW4UaAnYX8P8HAQ[/url]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

To be fair the sheer volume of the inanity that has come out of the right wing over the last 25 years about the Clintons (and Obama) basically numbed Americans to criticisms of Hillary (and Obama, and Bill).

yeah but it takes genuine talent to actually weave all those attacks into an armour like hillary has

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

no that is poison and should never be done because then you'll end up with an unrepresentative opinion based on some person's experiences

filtering any statement through a stringent vetting and carefully crafting the appropriate image is what's good for you politically

Peoples stories are good for stump speeches though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

euphronius posted:

Peoples stories are good for stump speeches though.

sure, if you can obtain a person who's adequately representative and vetted through the appropriate channels

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sharkie posted:

Right, but he is trying to get his message out, and I think at least a few moves towards acknowledging these issues would help spread his message to a wider audience, and gain traction in yoking his message to these other issues.

sanders not Getting racial issues is an established truth, he would not be taken seriously if he tried

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

V. Illych L. posted:

If you're running for President you should have a decent idea already what each part of your coalition cares about and what they want to hear from you. It's about connecting with those parts and making them feel like they have a voice in your campaign.

Clinton and Obama are both good at this. They make the people they talk to feel like they matter to the campaign, and that their concerns are being heard and addressed. Hopefully they actually are hearing and addressing those concerns, as well. Bernie has not been great about this (making them feel heard, that is).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
newt gingrich was just on month of zen

gigantic piece of poo poo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

If you're running for President you should have a decent idea already what each part of your coalition cares about and what they want to hear from you. It's about connecting with those parts and making them feel like they have a voice in your campaign.

Clinton and Obama are both good at this. They make the people they talk to feel like they matter to the campaign, and that their concerns are being heard and addressed. Hopefully they actually are hearing and addressing those concerns, as well. Bernie has not been great about this.

yeah, exactly. politics at this level are all about saying the right things and building the right narrative around yourself. having actual opinions is ok, but you keep those opinions to yourself

a candidate of today is a cipher for various interest groups to gain some position or other, not actually a person. personality beyond a certain maximum amount is entirely to the detriment of a presidential candidate - hillary Gets this, and acts accordingly

of course, some personal attributes are useful as well - you have to be able to make a decent speech, you have to be implacably stubborn etc. - but all must be subordinate to the base will to power in a modern politician, and hillary understands this better than anyone. this is why she is the best candidate for president - she understands the realities of the office better than perhaps anyone alive who hasn't actually been in it

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 21, 2015

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

henry wallace was badass

henry wallace was the best president who never was

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
month of zen is smack dab in the middle of Indecision 2008, palin has been named VP, it's the republican national convention, and everything is terrible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We really owe Obama a big thank you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the rnc opens with huckabutt, mittens, and rudy

god this is amazing

edit stewart comparing rudy talking about 9/11 to seeing skynyrd play freebird is poifect

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I've been burping for like the past 10 minutes, the gently caress

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

sanders not Getting racial issues is an established truth, he would not be taken seriously if he tried

He still has a lot of time in the spotlight, though, and even taking baby steps and being able to admit that you need to learn more about it would be a good step for him. And race is far too important a subject for someone who is running for president (even if they're not running to win) to throw your hands up about and just say I don't get it, its not my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

We really owe Obama a big thank you.

• Locked thread