Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Sorced posted:

You can check the current unrest in a province. You get +1% unrest per 20% overextension. Also are you playing 1.12 and is your vassal holland?

Thanks. No, it's not that bug. I'm on the beta patch, and released Khiva as a march (and gave it Afghanistan and a bit extra).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any guides on the new fort system?

I still dont understand any of it except that it takes a lot longer the conquer provinces with the fort icon on it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Pulled the trigger on my first League War. gently caress you, Europe!

:ohdear:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any guides on the new fort system?

I still dont understand any of it except that it takes a lot longer the conquer provinces with the fort icon on it.

- Forts are now expensive, too expensive to build in every province. But they have an area of influence extending to all adjacent provinces, automatically recapturing adjacent provinces if they are occupied by an enemy army. Unfortified provinces take only a month to capture (but will be quickly flipped back if they're by a fortress.)
- A fort's area of influence also prevents enemy troops from walking past the fortress without first capturing it. The ZoC rules are a little abstruse but this means you can actually fortify borders, making wars take longer (no more marching right to the capital) and giving defeated troops a chance at falling back safely.
- You now need 3 times the number of garrison troops to siege a fortress. The siege system is otherwise similar to before Common Sense, I think.
- Forts can be mothballed. This turns them off and depletes the garrison entirely, and cost only half maintainance. But if you do pay full maintenance for current-tech forts you'll get a little bonus to army tradition.
- Capitals get a free mini-fort with no area of influence and 1000 mans.

I think that's most of it? It makes sense during play for the most part.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's a good system just gets a little confusing in complex movement situations and often surprises me and screws me over on any sort of naval landing. Sometimes you can get IN to provinces but you can't get OUT.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

- Forts are now expensive, too expensive to build in every province. But they have an area of influence extending to all adjacent provinces, automatically recapturing adjacent provinces if they are occupied by an enemy army. Unfortified provinces take only a month to capture (but will be quickly flipped back if they're by a fortress.)
- A fort's area of influence also prevents enemy troops from walking past the fortress without first capturing it. The ZoC rules are a little abstruse but this means you can actually fortify borders, making wars take longer (no more marching right to the capital) and giving defeated troops a chance at falling back safely.
- You now need 3 times the number of garrison troops to siege a fortress. The siege system is otherwise similar to before Common Sense, I think.
- Forts can be mothballed. This turns them off and depletes the garrison entirely, and cost only half maintainance. But if you do pay full maintenance for current-tech forts you'll get a little bonus to army tradition.
- Capitals get a free mini-fort with no area of influence and 1000 mans.

I think that's most of it? It makes sense during play for the most part.

You can no longer assault forts that don't have the "walls breached" modifier, and that modifier has three different stages to it.

Also maybe I'm insane but it's far more punishing to be blockading a coastal fort, but that might just be an extension of forts being much more difficult to take rather than an explicit change.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

firestruck posted:

You can no longer assault forts that don't have the "walls breached" modifier, and that modifier has three different stages to it.

Also maybe I'm insane but it's far more punishing to be blockading a coastal fort, but that might just be an extension of forts being much more difficult to take rather than an explicit change.

Blockading a fort does help with the siege, if that's what you're talking about.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm having a super weird bug where the emperor gets reelected every single day. Unfortunately I am not the emperor but a mere protestant contestant :(

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koesj posted:

I'm having a super weird bug where the emperor gets reelected every single day. Unfortunately I am not the emperor but a mere protestant contestant :(

The Holy Roman Emperor For A Day project received a lot more support than was expected.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How do you circumnavigate the globe? You can't control the fleet that does it, so you can't purchase fleeting basing rights ahead of time and assume your fleet uses those.

I assumed that circumnavigating the globe first meant exploring enough waters, getting diplo tech 22/23 before anyone else, and hitting the button. Obviously I was wrong.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Node posted:

How do you circumnavigate the globe? You can't control the fleet that does it, so you can't purchase fleeting basing rights ahead of time and assume your fleet uses those.

I assumed that circumnavigating the globe first meant exploring enough waters, getting diplo tech 22/23 before anyone else, and hitting the button. Obviously I was wrong.

Annex/colonize some places for the ships to repair along the way.

Basically have an empire on which the sun never sets.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Node posted:

If you're playing a colonizing nation who has quality for whatever reason (i.e., misclicking and then deciding to roll with it) the ideas giving additional ship durability and reduced naval attrition towards the end help a lot. That plus a 5 manuever explorer I rolled got me the achievement by the time I hit tech 15 as Portugal.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GSD posted:

Annex/colonize some places for the ships to repair along the way.

Basically have an empire on which the sun never sets.

Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, you can't control the fleet while its on its mission, so you can't have it repair anywhere. Is there some way to make it repair at colonies?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Node posted:

Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, you can't control the fleet while its on its mission, so you can't have it repair anywhere. Is there some way to make it repair at colonies?

They won't repair, but they won't take attrition near them either. If you have a colony in south africa and some more in the Moluccas you're most of the way there. Then you just need to get around cape horn.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Node posted:

No but having colonies and fleet access decreases damage taken on the voyage due to the increased supply range.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Node posted:

Maxed out maritime :q:

real answer: you can't control the fleet, but you can merge ships into it. just have a few ships somewhere late in the circumnavigation ready to merge; the original ships will probably all die, but the ones you added later will make it to the end. It's not strictly necessary to do this; with colonies in the Cape and Malaccas and Patagonia the attrition will get reset at each stop and you'll probably make it fine, but it does make it a lot easier.

also make sure to have explored the entire way beforehand, travelling through TI takes forever.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Unfortified provinces take only a month to capture

a siege tick, not a month. high war exhaustion/ local defensiveness will dramatically increase the time it takes, high siege generals (along with a few other things) will lower it a bunch.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
One issue with the new fort system is that any rebels popping up will basically automatically give you that negative event for them capturing a province (ie: separatism) since it only takes a couple of days for them to capture a non-fort province and it's much more likely for them to spawn on a non-fort province just due to probability unless you're spamming forts.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Zettace posted:

One issue with the new fort system is that any rebels popping up will basically automatically give you that negative event for them capturing a province (ie: separatism) since it only takes a couple of days for them to capture a non-fort province and it's much more likely for them to spawn on a non-fort province just due to probability unless you're spamming forts.

This only happens if the province isn't near a fort at all. Provinces within the zone of control of a fort get sieged but don't suffer those effects.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
It'd be nice to have an easily accessible summary of a nation's manpower, army size, forcelimits, navy breakdown and maybe their income from the normal diplomacy window, as a page over kind of thing. It's not hard to use the ledger, but it's annoying if you want to quickly assess the strength of an alliance of nations with different first letters in their names. It lags like rear end on speed 5 ironman too.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Dammit, how does my ironman save keep getting de-ironmaned? Had a good Ottoman start where I had converted to Orthodox, good progress in conquest and neutered Malmuks and QQ.

Guess I get to try that again.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Gitro posted:

It'd be nice to have an easily accessible summary of a nation's manpower, army size, forcelimits, navy breakdown and maybe their income from the normal diplomacy window, as a page over kind of thing. It's not hard to use the ledger, but it's annoying if you want to quickly assess the strength of an alliance of nations with different first letters in their names. It lags like rear end on speed 5 ironman too.

This is a pretty excellent suggestion... Anyone know of a workshop mod along these lines?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Koesj posted:

Pulled the trigger on my first League War. gently caress you, Europe!

:ohdear:

Poland and Lithuania being on opposite ends of this is very interesting - did you personally see to that or just random chance?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Kinda random I guess. They're both catholic and were allied before, but Lithuania is best buds with Austria and Poland with me, so I can see how that worked out. I sniped away Memel from under them after I got rid of the Hansa, but Russia turned out to be a paper tiger (pretender rebels errwhere and Sweden running a train on them) and France kinda collapsed while I was tidying up in the East.

Now I'm lurking near occupied Vienna with half my manpower left and at 92/107 for a League victory, hoping that somehow everything falls apart for the remaining 120k enemy doomstack. Maybe I ought to knock out Hungary but every one of my Allies is at zero MP and sub 10k armies since it's been a murderous seven years :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yashichi posted:

This only happens if the province isn't near a fort at all.
And that NEVER happens. Especially not if you're too poor to blanket your lands with fort zones. Or your provinces are all poo poo developed so there's no space to add more than one building in them and it costs way too much to raise them up the 7! steps to reach 10 or the 7-9 to reach 20 with all the coastal, hills, jungle and tropical gently caress you modifiers. In case you can't tell, I'm slightly bitter about it. :argh:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ah Doom. How many people has the tooltip tricked into trying to use it to get rid of a bad ruler? Add one more.

Any general tips for an Aztec run? I don't have Common sense yet and am unsure whether I should wait or get it immediately. Seems like the development system It would mostly be a buff for the Europeans.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Weird things happen when you play multiplayer and work together.

The Ottomans near Tunisia look a bit funny because they are being sieged down by the... Livionian Order!
Mali is westernized and kicking the poo poo out of Portugal.
Sadly I didn't pay enough attention so I am not sure how Hormuz got that big

Gitro
May 29, 2013

genericnick posted:

Ah Doom. How many people has the tooltip tricked into trying to use it to get rid of a bad ruler? Add one more.

Any general tips for an Aztec run? I don't have Common sense yet and am unsure whether I should wait or get it immediately. Seems like the development system It would mostly be a buff for the Europeans.

Development replacing basetax was included in the patch, right? I'd suggest getting it because you'll at least be able to throw diplo on your gold mines (don't push it above ten), and my understanding of natives is that they're better off waiting to neighbour a western tech nation and get free tech levels that way than by actually teching.

Not sure what other features are pay only. You're right in that dev largely benefits Europeans though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gitro posted:

Development replacing basetax was included in the patch, right? I'd suggest getting it because you'll at least be able to throw diplo on your gold mines (don't push it above ten), and my understanding of natives is that they're better off waiting to neighbour a western tech nation and get free tech levels that way than by actually teching.

Not sure what other features are pay only. You're right in that dev largely benefits Europeans though.

Development was in the patch, buttons for increasing development were in DLC

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Uuuuuuugh, my useless dipshit allies have cost me a massive coalition war against France and Scandinavia because they can't stop losing and Russia won't peace out. This is why I'm usually a massive isolationist gently caress, and also probably my biggest 'gently caress ironman' moment.

I could have relaxed at home, wiping out their navies and landing forces as they came and reaped the benefits of ticking warscore but no, I'm -30 from battles that won't go away when my 'allies' finally give up. As long as I don't have to give up holdings on the british isles before I get my achievement it's still a win.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
This might have just been luck on my part, but is abolishing the Sejm as the Commonwealth supposed to be a wet fart? I triggered the event, fought the 60-ish stack on my capital, then hunkered down and waited for the next rebels. Two years later I got a pop-up telling me the revolts were done without seeing a single further rebel.

Not that I'm complaining but I was expecting something more along the lines of an actual disaster.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Gitro posted:

Uuuuuuugh, my useless dipshit allies have cost me a massive coalition war against France and Scandinavia because they can't stop losing and Russia won't peace out. This is why I'm usually a massive isolationist gently caress, and also probably my biggest 'gently caress ironman' moment.

I could have relaxed at home, wiping out their navies and landing forces as they came and reaped the benefits of ticking warscore but no, I'm -30 from battles that won't go away when my 'allies' finally give up. As long as I don't have to give up holdings on the british isles before I get my achievement it's still a win.

This is why after I'm a big power I have only one ally or so. Getting call for peace and racking up war exhaustion for a war I'm not even in charge of is so frustrating. It would be nice if they disabled call for peace in that circumstance, or at least gave a "prolonged conflict" modifier that increased trust for sticking it out or something to make it worth it.

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 21, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've finally admitted to myself that I only like playing large powers because I hate having AI allies. I loved it when they added all the new vassal stuff like suggesting they attach, and then Enable Scutage gave me a huge erection because I can feed a vassal and then just sit there and tell them to feed me cash and be a buffer zone.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Tendronai posted:

This might have just been luck on my part, but is abolishing the Sejm as the Commonwealth supposed to be a wet fart? I triggered the event, fought the 60-ish stack on my capital, then hunkered down and waited for the next rebels. Two years later I got a pop-up telling me the revolts were done without seeing a single further rebel.

Not that I'm complaining but I was expecting something more along the lines of an actual disaster.

That was my experience exactly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indeed, a lot of the disasters got pretty toned down. Time of Troubles is also a walk in the park now; I got tired of Rurikids, so I just sat at -1 stability waiting for it to start. Then all I had to do was wait, as my monarch got replaced with sequentially better rulers. Boris Gudonov is like a 6/4/6 or something crazy. But ultimately I just opted for Alex Romanov.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think people don't find rebellions enjoyable or something. It's kind of a shame since it limits a lot of mechanics but it's understandable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koramei posted:

I think people don't find rebellions enjoyable or something. It's kind of a shame since it limits a lot of mechanics but it's understandable.

I honestly wish there was way more internal focused mechanics, that there were just as many if not more internal threats than external. So often foreign policy just exists to placate local interests, or provide a distraction to the public. I wish we had a very simple CK2 style system with characters/factions/plots and a very simple V2 style economy that actually sort of moved resources around and used them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Why didn't I get Trade Hegemon? I started as Holland and formed the Netherlands, and I have Aden, Hormoz, and Malacca cored.

code:
achievement_trade_hegemon = {
	id = 53

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		capital_scope = {
			continent = europe
		}
		technology_group = western
	}

happened = {
		owns_core_province = 388 # Aden
		owns_core_province = 431 # Hormoz
		owns_core_province = 596 # Malacca
	}
I started, like always, at that start date, and I am playing on ironman. I've gotten other achievements, so I can't figure out why the game isn't awarding me the achievement. As far as I can tell, I meet all the requirements.

Node fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 21, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I honestly wish there was way more internal focused mechanics, that there were just as many if not more internal threats than external. So often foreign policy just exists to placate local interests, or provide a distraction to the public. I wish we had a very simple CK2 style system with characters/factions/plots and a very simple V2 style economy that actually sort of moved resources around and used them.

that'd be pretty ultimate

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we had a very simple CK2 style system with characters/factions/plots and a very simple V2 style economy that actually sort of moved resources around and used them.
It's too bad Wiz probably won't see this because I bet he'd get a good laugh out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Node posted:

Why didn't I get Trade Hegemon? I started as Holland and formed the Netherlands, and I have Aden, Hormoz, and Malacca cored.

code:
achievement_trade_hegemon = {
	id = 53

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		capital_scope = {
			continent = europe
		}
		technology_group = western
	}

happened = {
		owns_core_province = 388 # Aden
		owns_core_province = 431 # Hormoz
		owns_core_province = 596 # Malacca
	}
I started, like always, at that start date, and I am playing on ironman. I've gotten other achievements, so I can't figure out why the game isn't awarding me the achievement. As far as I can tell, I meet all the requirements.

Province numbers changed since the comment was added, and now it's Mogostan instead of Hormoz.
Actually Mogostan is what used to be Hormoz, new Hormoz was created on an island there, but it's not the place achievement checks for.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread