Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

happy belated birthday! Try not to think about how amazing the genes were that made you who you are!

Grace got all the sassy genes, while Solid Grace got all the empathetic genes.

...I wouldn't mind meeting Solid Grace.

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Episode 3 - Answered Questions:siren:

You can tell really easily which weapons I like and don't like in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I was the cause of Pokemon cards being banned from my school. I traded some more common cards for a smaller kids Blastoise and when I wouldn't trade it back he went to the teachers.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I liked the Silent Scope games until I read about the Golgo 13 arcade game and found a new goal in life.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

mateo360 posted:

I was the cause of Pokemon cards being banned from my school. I traded some more common cards for a smaller kids Blastoise and when I wouldn't trade it back he went to the teachers.

Sounds like he learned an important lesson on how the world works. :colbert:

This session's worth of videos isn't over yet, but just to let you guys know I'm going to be offscreening a bunch of time trials of the levels we've already seen so once we record next we can go right into new missions we haven't seen yet. I'm assuming no one is watching for the incredibly skilled gameplay :v: Plus I want to show Grace mystery mode next time we record.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I tried to play MGS1, but I died a few times and got discouraged. So I ended up quitting. :(

I remember doing really well on the boss fights, though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Grace is pretty much the only reason I watch this LP. She's really the best. Dan you're cool too, but really she's stealing the show.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hitting things on various levels of elevation when you have a camera view like this is disorienting as gently caress and the controls don't help. MGS2 luckily alleviates this.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
I was a huge MGS fan way back in the day but I could never bring myself to check out VR missions. The VR stuff included in the main game was pretty underwhelming and the thought of an entire game of nothing but that sounded boring as hell. For that reason I never checked out a lot of the stuff in Substance either, only years later did I discover that there was stuff like Snake skateboarding and murder mysteries hiding in that optional content.

When will the MGS1 VR missions go batshit insane?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Iron Chitlin posted:

I was a huge MGS fan way back in the day but I could never bring myself to check out VR missions. The VR stuff included in the main game was pretty underwhelming and the thought of an entire game of nothing but that sounded boring as hell. For that reason I never checked out a lot of the stuff in Substance either, only years later did I discover that there was stuff like Snake skateboarding and murder mysteries hiding in that optional content.

He just said he wants to do mystery mode next recording. There's a few...other strange things he's alluded to as well.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Dan talking about light gun sniper Arkade game made me remember this.

Metal Gear Arkade was actually pretty cool and had actual good fps light gun controls and since your seating position away from the screen was forced the 3D was pretty cool as well. I only played it like one or two times though because it was just Metal Gear Online as an arcade machine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Iron Chitlin posted:

It doesn't quite get Skateboarding levels of batshit, but once you reach certain percentages, you unlock Puzzle mode, Mystery mode, and Variety/NG Selection, which are just "gently caress it let's go nuts". Still have no idea what "NG Selection" means though.

Zain posted:

Grace is pretty much the only reason I watch this LP.

Same, to be honest

Nyagato posted:

Dan talking about light gun sniper Arkade game made me remember this.

Metal Gear Arkade was actually pretty cool and had actual good fps light gun controls and since your seating position away from the screen was forced the 3D was pretty cool as well. I only played it like one or two times though because it was just Metal Gear Online as an arcade machine.

I miss light gun arcade machines :( All the arcades I used to go to either shut down or just have those weird large versions of mobile games. It's a shame no one's ever been able to make a home guncon game without it turning into a technical nightmare. I remember trying to get Time Crisis 4 for PS3 working on my tv, but you needed to attach three different sensors to the TV, and you're just hosed if you have a flatscreen, which wasn't exactly rare :shepface:

If the game was calibrated right, I was the absolute master at light gun stuff. Grace likes to joke that I can't aim for poo poo, but that's wrong when it comes to guns :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Re: light gun games, they're around if you look for them. That weird and kinda dumb police academy game seems to be everywhere, and I shock myself how good my aim in it is. The local chuck e cheese's has several gun games alongside the mobile whatever, including a couple that actively try to get you to use teamwork, like where combined shots from player one and two exponentially increase the shot power.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Grace got all the sassy genes, while Solid Grace got all the empathetic genes.

...I wouldn't mind meeting Solid Grace.

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Episode 3 - Answered Questions:siren:

You can tell really easily which weapons I like and don't like in this episode.

Wow, if that's how Liquid beats Goku, imagine how Solid does it!

*cue gif of Snake hiding in a hole shooting Nikita missiles forever*

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So I take it after this the next game is Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Color? :v:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Some of these stages look really boring/obnoxious... and that's in practice mode. I missing the sneaking and man flipping stuff already.

Danaru posted:

It doesn't quite get Skateboarding levels of batshit, but once you reach certain percentages, you unlock Puzzle mode, Mystery mode, and Variety/NG Selection, which are just "gently caress it let's go nuts". Still have no idea what "NG Selection" means though.
You just know NG stands for something ridiculously silly like New Genome something or other.

Also after that epic DBZ battle, I'm hoping for a Super Solid Bros. Brawl episode when the time comes!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Unknown Quantity posted:

So I take it after this the next game is Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Color? :v:

I'm considering rounding up some people and doing a hellstream of Ghost Babel some night when Grace isn't available to record. There's a lot of prepping to do for that kind of thing though, so I can't say when it'll happen.

pick-e posted:

Some of these stages look really boring/obnoxious... and that's in practice mode. I missing the sneaking and man flipping stuff already.

You just know NG stands for something ridiculously silly like New Genome something or other.

Same :(

Apparently, NG Selection stands for "No Good", which is the japanese equivalent of "Bloopers".

That... honestly raises more questions. :psyduck:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 12, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

gently caress you too, VR Missions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Episode 4 - Vague:siren:

Something I noticed while playing sober, it might be due to slight lag between the capture card, but when I hit the shoot button three times, Snake fires four times. This is super fun considering you need all the unused ammo to get a decent score in time trials. :shepface: I basically have to train myself to only shoot twice, which causes Snake to shoot three times. It's bizarre.

If you listen carefully at around two minutes in you can hear Grace accidentally showing yandere tendencies publically instead of just privately please send help

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Grabbed my copy of the game off the shelf tonight and quickly learned my game save has gone sorely missing. It took me twice as long to clear everything you did in the first episode and I had the advantage of not being drunk. :smith: I'll just wait on your videos to see what "Blooper" mode is all about. And to answer Graces question from an episode or so back, I watched the credits and Kojima is credited as a Genolla Monster :confused:, Planning/Game Design, Producer, and Director.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh don't worry, Genolla's coming up...

I don't know if I'm just tired or what, but I think I laughed the hardest this episode of any.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

I don't know if I'm just tired or what, but I think I laughed the hardest this episode of any.

That's pretty much the mindset you have to be in :v:

Here's a preview for the next episode.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Now THAT'S a swastika.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Episode 5 - Don't Be A Creep!:siren:

This will be the last episode for a little bit until the next chance we get to record. Next time we'll have the cooler stuff unlocked though :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To answer Grace's question a while back, no that was not the show Dan watched. He was talking about Sonic Underground. You were talking about Sonic SATAM.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I love this game and all, but wow this journey has made me realize just how horribly MGS1's controls have aged.. :shepface: Almost everything is unlocked now, and the last mode will unlock shortly into the first episode of our next recording. I've also gotten first place on every sneaking mode time trial. I considered not showing Grace what that unlocks, but I can't deprive the world of that :v:

SSNeoman posted:

To answer Grace's question a while back, no that was not the show Dan watched. He was talking about Sonic Underground. You were talking about Sonic SATAM.

Apparently NO ONE I`ve asked has heard of sonic underground, so for any of you who missed it, here's all you need to know.

Every LP I do manages to involve about Sonic somehow :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danaru posted:

Apparently NO ONE I`ve asked has heard of sonic underground, so for any of you who missed it, here's all you need to know.

gently caress yes.

Danaru posted:

I love this game and all, but wow this journey has made me realize just how horribly MGS1's controls have aged.. :shepface: Almost everything is unlocked now, and the last mode will unlock shortly into the first episode of our next recording. I've also gotten first place on every sneaking mode time trial. I considered not showing Grace what that unlocks, but I can't deprive the world of that :v:

gently caress also yes! The unlockables in MGS are great.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I really have no idea which mode I most look forward to. The ninja and mystery modes are so much fun, then there's that mode. Plus there's all the other weird crap that shows up in just one mission each. I never was able to 100% this game back in the day but I came pretty close to unlocking most of the stuff. I think the second version of that mode was all I had left to unlock.

Also, for the record, the first "special mode" mode unlocked at 50%, so they came very close to unlocking it last video. Less than 1.5% off.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Danaru posted:

It's your curse gift.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Danaru posted:

I've also gotten first place on every sneaking mode time trial. I considered not showing Grace what that unlocks, but I can't deprive the world of that :v:
Oh yes. I've been trying and failing to unlock that myself. Will the photo mode episode be titled Don't Be a Creep Part 2?

Choco1980 posted:

I really have no idea which mode I most look forward to. The ninja and mystery modes are so much fun, then there's that mode. Plus there's all the other weird crap that shows up in just one mission each. I never was able to 100% this game back in the day but I came pretty close to unlocking most of the stuff. I think the second version of that mode was all I had left to unlock.
Do any of these later modes have more sneaking elements to them? I was always bummed about Sneaking Mode only really having 15 stages (copy/pasted 6 times). Most of the game is focused on the weapons which is part of why I lost interest in progressing. At least its generous with the progression. Just don't abysmally fail and you get your % up. If they'd forced you to get 1st on every time trial that would've been the biggest nope ever for me.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

It's your curse gift.
Against all warnings and good judgement the Sonic Heroes LP is inevitable, isn't it?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

pick-e posted:

Against all warnings and good judgement the Sonic Heroes LP is inevitable, isn't it?

I want to believe.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Danaru posted:

I donno even as a kid I remember MGS1 controlling like rear end. Still don't know how it sorta sprung off to the level of popularity it did.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Zain posted:

I donno even as a kid I remember MGS1 controlling like rear end. Still don't know how it sorta sprung off to the level of popularity it did.

Konami worked really hard to rig the reviews in its favor. They only handed out review copies to folks who signed agreements to not consider the long cutscenes a negative aspect of the game in their reviews. Not to mention the first person view was kinda innovative at the time and it was just so over the top people kind of forgot it was a really clunky game. Kinda like how people kept applauding the series for adopting gameplay changes that were already in the mainstream several years after the game came out, like Subsistence's free-moving camera.

To be clear, I love the series and I'd love to co-commentate on this stuff contact me at AkihabaraSA but the games have never really been all that solid gameplay-wise. Although they were stable enough platforms for MGO in all its iterations and Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes are actually pretty smooth all things considered.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah it really seems like NOW the MGS is really solid gameplay wise. While it was "Growing up" it never got to any sort of good level. I mean sure without it we wouldn't have gems like Revengence and that could be a shame. But I donno maybe I'm just too cynical about it all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Another thing to keep in mind was when it came out it was super innovative if for no reason then the fact that there was tons of different gameplay functions, like the different boss battle styles and stuff. Looking back causes a "Citizen Kane" effect where it's easy to spot games that turned around and took what it started and did better with it, and the sequels to MGS kinda often feel behind the curve in that regard. For like, comparison, i'd argue the closest stylistic contemporary the first game had was Syphon Filter, as it has very similar controls and graphics, yet you play it and it's very singularly designed. There's none of this game's sophistication or variety. It really wasn't until the PS2 era that changing up gameplay and not railroading you into narrow corridors became the industry standard for action adventure games.

Also to address another point, if you want tons of VR sneaking missions, Substance is the way to go, not this one. They go balls out hard and bizarre with the stealth segments there, but then there's a lot more you can do with 2's ai. I really hope we get to that game as there's so many off-the-rails moments there...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Choco1980 posted:

Also to address another point, if you want tons of VR sneaking missions, Substance is the way to go, not this one. They go balls out hard and bizarre with the stealth segments there, but then there's a lot more you can do with 2's ai. I really hope we get to that game as there's so many off-the-rails moments there...

MGS2 also introduced my favorite mechanic that I'm not sure survived to MGS3 onward: shooting the ! or ? above someone's head, resulting in them entering this braindead stupor for several seconds.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

MGS2 also introduced my favorite mechanic that I'm not sure survived to MGS3 onward: shooting the ! or ? above someone's head, resulting in them entering this braindead stupor for several seconds.

I remember you very much could do that in MGS3, it was just harder, especially outdoors.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Unknown Quantity posted:

That actually sounds kinda cool and a bit clever too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The HD version of MGS2 includes the Substance VR missions, but I've never actually played any aside from a couple of the beginning ones. There's apparently like five hundred of them :shepface:

Regarding Ghost Babel and possibly other games, here's the plan for now. I can't promise when, or really IF it'll happen yet, but if you want in, add me to skype at Danaru5277 and let me know, or just let me know if I'm already on your Skype list. I'll create a Skype chat in the next couple days and start adding people. Whenever I get it set up and we get a chance to do it, I'll give notice a couple days in advance. I still have to figure out exactly how I'm going to do audio, since my singular regret for the Jurassic Park hellstream was that my audio wasn't balanced right compared to everyone else :froggonk: otherwise it was everything I wanted it to be.

:siren:With that said:siren:

There's a good chance I might seem like a total flakey douche by not responding on skype very often, I promise it's not because I'm actually a douche, but because I work a shitload, so usually when people talk to me, I'm either at work or asleep. This combined with the fact that Skype for android likes to conveniently forget to push notifications makes me seem a lot more standoffish than I really am :saddowns: In fact, I'm 12 hours into a 16 hour shift literally right now, so I don't know how much of this is even legible.

If for whatever reason you need to get a hold of me right away, you can DM me on twitter at @hetzergonnahetz even just to say "hey chucklefuck check skype". Twitter actually pushes notifications properly, so I'll actually see it if I'm at work.

On a VR Missions related note, Grace and I will be recording on Friday and should be able to 100% complete the game, so look forward to new episodes soon :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh my gosh are you in for a treat then. Substance has some amazing content to it. Both in the whackadoo realm (seriously, make sure you play all the way through the snake tales missions just for the final what the gently caress mission), but also for some really clever usages of the MGS2 engine. There's some absolutely ridiculous modes, like FPS mode, and "Dark" mazes where there's no lights on for example.

Also, do you have a general idea for when you wanted to do the Hellstream? I'm busy for like the next two and a half weeks but if it's after that I'd totally be down. I think we're already skype buddies despite possibly never actually talking to each other on there.

Also, for the record, there's one thing Dark Id didn't cover in his LP of Ghost Babel--the game has a vr missions mode. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Also, for the record, there's one thing Dark Id didn't cover in his LP of Ghost Babel--the game has a vr missions mode. :shepicide:
And they are completely loving bullshit. See: finish the area under a certain amount of steps.