Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
They could worse than nerf Aura's healing station by implementing a heal rate ramp up. As it is if you don't use explosives or land headshots consistently, you'll have a tough time killing people in it's radius. It's also very resilient to bullets, making it easier to destroy would be a good change too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Delacroix posted:

They could worse than nerf Aura's healing station by implementing a heal rate ramp up. As it is if you don't use explosives or land headshots consistently, you'll have a tough time killing people in it's radius. It's also very resilient to bullets, making it easier to destroy would be a good change too.

As a person who almost exclusively plays Aura...

No gently caress you she's perfect.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

tehsid posted:

As a person who almost exclusively plays Aura...

No gently caress you she's perfect.

Seems I've hit a sore spot. :v:

Rhino can hardly die if he's camping a healing station. I don't like how quickly sawbonez heals people either, medics are way too good at stalling if the other side isn't lobbing lots of explosives. The game swings like a pendulum at times between fire support spam killing waves and EVs with impunity and sheltered killzones that are hard to crack. The devs have already said on stream they're hesitant to do map revisions to fix imbalances so that leaves character tweaks.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Delacroix posted:

Seems I've hit a sore spot. :v:

Rhino can hardly die if he's camping a healing station. I don't like how quickly sawbonez heals people either, medics are way too good at stalling if the other side isn't lobbing lots of explosives. The game swings like a pendulum at times between fire support spam killing waves and EVs with impunity and sheltered killzones that are hard to crack. The devs have already said on stream they're hesitant to do map revisions to fix imbalances so that leaves character tweaks.

haha its fine. I somewhat agree, but I find I often end up the only medic on my team, so having that power there is a godsend. Mind you I haven't encountered many Rhino's yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AtillatheBum posted:

People act like he is somehow unbeatable when they just need to realize that it's their play that is to blame.

Ah see, here's the misunderstanding. I don't think he's unbeatable, I just think he has to many advantages still. We'll see how it balances out I suppose.

WirelessPillow posted:

Honestly if they tuned down Rhinos damage somewhat than it would be manageable, as it is now a single Rhino is hard to take down without spamming heavy weapons.

Yeah he's pretty strong, luckily people playing him can't turn so well so if i'm playing aura or proxy I have a chance at circling him to death. As fragger I have a hard time engaging him at distances that aren't really far away but luckily I can just lob a nade at his healing station and then pop out once its down. I'm almost at 50,000 credits so i'm considering Rhino over Bushwhacker, but at the same time I haven't bought myself an engi yet.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rhino is incredibly easy to defeat with Vasiliy/Fragger/Nader, though. And his slow playstyle doesn't really lend well to the constantly moving, shifting nature of the game. Rhino and an Aura heal station are strong against mindless pubs but aren't going to do much against anyone who knows how to deal with either or both.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Delacroix posted:

:lol: at anyone who thinks that the healing stations need anything except a buff.

The healing station used to be decent until pubbies bitched and moaned about them until they got nerfed. The same whiny pubbies were also behind the proxy movement speed nerf and the upcoming phantom nerf. Now they're just kinda poo poo except in a very few select spots, half of which are basically exploits where you clip the healing station inside a wall.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What are you on about, the healing station is fantastic. Place it by a firefight, your team wins 90% of the time if you're actively picking them up. Have to 1v1 someone? Plop it down around a corner and then jump around firing like a maniac while they focus on you and completely ignore your healing station (or focus on your healing station and you wreck them because they wasted half their mag on it). Fight moves? Just pick it up and pretty much instantly put it down.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
When did they get nerfed? All I remember seeing is that deployables in general got 30 less HP.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

When did they get nerfed? All I remember seeing is that deployables in general got 30 less HP.

They increased the time it takes to deploy a lot and made it so that reclaiming damaged deployables just gave you a cooldown reduction to your next one equivalent to the health it had when you picked it up.

Both of those changes made it so that moving healing stations became way more of a hassle. If the people you're playing against actually understand the game well enough they'll prioritize destroying any and all healing stations first. If you manage to blow up a healing station right as it goes up, you're effectively making the aura completely useless for 40 seconds, which is almost 2 full spawnwaves.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Can this loadout recommendation pic be added to the op? Linked because big.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Bloodmobile posted:

:lol: at anyone who thinks that the healing stations need anything except a buff.

The healing station used to be decent until pubbies bitched and moaned about them until they got nerfed. The same whiny pubbies were also behind the proxy movement speed nerf and the upcoming phantom nerf. Now they're just kinda poo poo except in a very few select spots, half of which are basically exploits where you clip the healing station inside a wall.

I'm curious to what qualifies as a "select spot" because there's 3-4 chokepoints on every map that's a good location or an equal amount of spots near the chokepoints begging for Aura to fortify them. I've been in matches where players complain that they run out of bullets trying to kill people camping a healing station. I haven't played a FPS where that was ever a problem. I can tell you that they keep getting back up because it's still ridiculously easy to medic chain near a healing station with the revive change.

Bloodmobile posted:

They increased the time it takes to deploy a lot and made it so that reclaiming damaged deployables just gave you a cooldown reduction to your next one equivalent to the health it had when you picked it up.

Both of those changes made it so that moving healing stations became way more of a hassle. If the people you're playing against actually understand the game well enough they'll prioritize destroying any and all healing stations first. If you manage to blow up a healing station right as it goes up, you're effectively making the aura completely useless for 40 seconds, which is almost 2 full spawnwaves.

The first point means it's not an near-instant "I win" button and there's a window of opportunity to kill Aura or the station before it kicks in. The second point punishes bad Auras (and Bushwhackers) so it's completely warranted. Sure, let her deploy two or reduce the recharge but that's not a convincing argument to keep the heal rate on the healing station as it is.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ruzihm posted:

Some of those loadout choices are dumb, and a lot of perks are broken anyways, so that's probably not a great image to push around at the moment.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Delacroix posted:

I'm curious to what qualifies as a "select spot" because there's 3-4 chokepoints on every map that's a good location or an equal amount of spots near the chokepoints begging for Aura to fortify them. I've been in matches where players complain that they run out of bullets trying to kill people camping a healing station. I haven't played a FPS where that was ever a problem. I can tell you that they keep getting back up because it's still ridiculously easy to medic chain near a healing station with the revive change.
Most choke points are built in such a way that the only spots for a decent healing station make it very vulnerable to being destroyed by explosive spam. Obviously if the other team sucks and isn't even trying to spam the healing stations down with naders or fraggers then yes, they're very strong on most maps. But they have a very real and very hard counter to them.

Delacroix posted:

The first point means it's not an near-instant "I win" button and there's a window of opportunity to kill Aura or the station before it kicks in. The second point punishes bad Auras (and Bushwhackers) so it's completely warranted. Sure, let her deploy two or reduce the recharge but that's not a convincing argument to keep the heal rate on the healing station as it is.

Back before the nerf you were usually trading a full cooldown on your healing station for a kill at best if the player you plopped the station down against had any clue what he was supposed to be doing. Post-nerf you're just dead and so's your healing station if someone comes anywhere near you while you're getting set up.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Who has time to play a game over 3 minutes nowadays.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nalesh posted:

Who has time to play a game over 3 minutes nowadays.

Quite frankly I find 2 and a half minutes drags on a bit.

We were actually down a man most of the game. Two people on Defense ragequit.

Matchmaker: Totally works.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bloodmobile posted:

Back before the nerf you were usually trading a full cooldown on your healing station for a kill at best if the player you plopped the station down against had any clue what he was supposed to be doing. Post-nerf you're just dead and so's your healing station if someone comes anywhere near you while you're getting set up.

I won't argue that explosives are a counter (they should be, i'm pretty happy with having to use a nade on an area to clear it, nader being able to spam as many as she can trivialises it but that can't be helped) but if you go to an area to set up and an enemy is there you should run the gently caress away, you're fast so you can easily scout around and have a quick look round the corner.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 20, 2015

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So I got Fragger with that code and have been using him today. Anybody have some general playstyle tips for him? I seem to kinda suck with the LMG. Any tips for his nade throwing?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Hold Q to cook it, throw at at places you know there's an Aura or Rhino.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

BobMcFartsens posted:

Any tips for his nade throwing?

Cook them around 3 seconds as much as possible (more or less according to the distance you're throwing it), and enemies shouldn't have enough time to dodge if you do. Don't forget you can bounce them off walls and around corners. Healing stations should be like grenade magnets for you. Every map has natural choke points where players will start to cluster, learn those spots and hand out surprises. After a while you should start to have a sense for when players are in full retreat or just trying to get the jump on you after disengaging; grenades tend to work very well for cleaning up the ones trying to ambush you. Getting a kill with the grenade isn't necessary if you are following through and pushing behind it, as you should be able to make short work of them after they're softened up.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Throwing a uncooked grenade on an enemy teabagging a downed teammate and watching the enemy realizing their mistake a little to late is a special thing.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Always equip +10% explosive gently caress you.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
i just gt this gane and i die constantly its p. fun

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fragger is best applied in explosive gently caress you doses.

genpj
Aug 11, 2012

This may be really basic, but hey maybe it will help you. In most duels if you count to two (Fragger does it for you!) while cooking and then throw it at enemy it will explode in their faces. Throwing granade without cooking it beforehand makes it mostly useless.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

genpj posted:

This may be really basic, but hey maybe it will help you. In most duels if you count to two (Fragger does it for you!) while cooking and then throw it at enemy it will explode in their faces. Throwing granade without cooking it beforehand makes it mostly useless.

Good practice is to always try and time grenades so they air burst on/near your target instead of landing on the ground. Also get into the habit of canceling cooked grenades instead of wasting them on a target you're not fairly sure is there. When you start doming people with grenades it becomes a lot of fun. Eventually you learn the spots were people are going to be and you can start pre-cooking grenades before rounding corners and cancelling them if nobody is there. You should be killing as many people with grenades as possible because it's a gib and not just a down.

Also learn the LMG. It's good. Much harder to use than the M4, but good.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 21, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Fart Car '97 posted:

Also get into the habit of canceling cooked grenades instead of wasting them on a target you're not fairly sure is there.

It eats your nade and puts it on cooldown, so you might as well toss it for a chance at a random kill?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

All mercs are OP. Except for Arty

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

isndl posted:

It eats your nade and puts it on cooldown, so you might as well toss it for a chance at a random kill?

It's a reduced cooldown isn't it?

It's a half cooldown: 15s. Well worth not randomly tossing it.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 21, 2015

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I was dominating as Fragger today and mostly just from learning to LMG good. It's not a weapon you can just spray and hope to hit something, even close range you need to shoot almost like it's just a beefy semi-automatic. Basically just click really fast instead of holding down the trigger and keep it on target and you're golden.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Patch notes:

quote:

General Gameplay

Reduced the amount of kick when receiving damage, to compensate for the recent update to view-kick functionality
Players will now only spawn in game after choosing a Merc, once a map is loaded
Deployables are now easier to place in tighter spaces

Fletcher

Reclaiming a Sticky Bomb now only returns 50% of the cooldown

Fragger
Fixed bug where pressing '4' could cause a Frag Grenade to be thrown

Phantom

Phantom's health has been lowered to 110hp (from 120hp)
Refractive Armor maximum recharge time increased to 10s (from 6s)
Taking damage that exceeds remaining Refractive Armor energy will now also eat into health
Heartbeat Sensor detection no longer disables Refractive Armor, but will still spot Phantom
Refractive Armor no longer prevents gas damage from eating into health
Refractive Armor is now slightly more visible when Phantom is moving
Cloaking/de-cloaking audio is now more audible to other players

Sparks

REVIVR now deals the correct amount of damage to objectives
REVIVR battery now begins draining immediately, rather than when minimum charge is reached
Increased the rate at which the REVIVR battery is depleted while charging shots by 10%
Enemy REVIVR shots are now seen as orange in-game

Ranged Weapons

K-121 Machine Gun - Reduced spread and recoil by ~5%
PDP-70 Automatic Sniper Rifle - This will no longer insta-gib players if it kills with a headshot
KEK-10 SMG - Bullet spread now increases ~7% faster than before while firing
Crotzni SMG - Bullet spread now increases ~10% faster than before while firing

Melee Weapons

Added a turn-speed-limit for melee attacks to prevent exploits and to reward initial aim
This will be fine-tuned based on player feedback and metrics
Cricket Bat - Reduced run speed when equipped by 2.5%
Katana - Reduced run speed when equipped by 2.5%
Katana - Secondary attacks now deal damage for a shorter period of time

Augments

Chopper Augment melee damage bonus reduced to +15% (down from +20%)
Lock-On Augment now correctly reduces Turret lock-on times
Steady Augment now correctly adds health to all deployables
Flying Pig Augment now correctly negates all fall damage

Game Improvements
General

Reworked the in-game Mission system
XP Mission values updated so Game Mode and Support are now quicker to complete
Removed 'Win X Matches' missions as they were incentivizing unbalanced matches
Added new missions for Competitive Matches, the Execution Game Mode and Secondary Objectives
Updated Merc missions to be based around earning the appropriate XP type instead of playing 'X' matches
Clamped a number of video settings to address exploits, such as completely disabling particle effects
Updated the auto-detect settings when the game is first run to apply more appropriate graphics presets (High, Med, Low)
Updated the Competitive Matchmaking algorithm so it spends more time searching for players of closer skill-ratings

User Interface

Added Steam related options to the right click drop down panel on the scoreboard
Updates to the Spectator HUD:
Minimap now increases in size and shows all players with the correct team colors
Chat has been moved to the top left and players names are also correctly colored
Objective HUD is now positioned in the centre

Visual Effects

Improved the visual effects when Phantom is shot while his Refractive Armor is active
Updated the effects when a player is revived with defibs/REVIVR
Updated the REVIVR firing and impact effects
Improved the Katana trail effects
Made the Orbital Strike effects a little more impressive
Updated Skyhammer's Airstrike explosion effects

Audio

Added new firing audio for the Blishlok SMG
Tweaked footstep audio volume and falloff to make them more audible
Improved the mix for all weapon audio, including slightly quieter surface impacts
Frag Grenade bounces are now slightly louder when in range
Added exertion audio for Sparks when she is incapacitated or killed
Added glass sounds for large and medium windows

Notable Bug Fixes

Fixed bug where players could be stuck after being revived
Fix for players sometimes not seeing the MM ranking in the game overview screen
Optimized UI code to aid Minimap performance
Removed the silencer from the Selbstadt .40 Pistol icon
Fixed several issues with Mounted Gun audio

The Chopper change seems kind of pointless.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

New patch, instead of "play x number of gamemode type" it's now "earn x amount of XP in a gamemode type" they also did something with melee attacks, you can't mouselook while attacking, beyblade mode phantom is no more.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Seems like a good patch overall. Buff to the LMG, nerfs to Phantom, reasonable tweaks to Crotzni/Kek-10, and Lock On now works. :getin:

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Phantom nerfs are nice, but heartbeat sensor no longer decloaking him seems like a pretty big buff. Lots of nice fixes in general though.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The new missions are cool but they don't progress half the time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

Done. Might consider replacing the second post with it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ruzihm posted:

Yep, having such a diverse toolkit lends a flexibility that leaves his opponents with few options for counterplay. Right now, a well-stocked rhino is his biggest fear, imo.

Personally, I'd say cause the armor to fail after x damage or y hits are absorbed, whichever occurs first, and let some portion of overflow damage through. But to temper that nerf, maybe reduce he effect of vasili mines in a way. Either increase the cloak's drain by a significant amount, or only disable the camouflage component and leave the shield intact.

quote:

Taking damage that exceeds remaining Refractive Armor energy will now also eat into health
Heartbeat Sensor detection no longer disables Refractive Armor, but will still spot Phantom

:smug:

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
What's weird to me is I've been playing a LOT of Vasili (unrelated to phantom) and I feel like the heartbeat sensor wasn't actuall yreliably de-cloaking him. Maybe it ONLY decloaks on the sensor pulses, but it just seemed really finicky to me and a lovely counter anyways. (Vs just GENERAL AWARENESS YOU FUCKS ON MY TEAM PAY ATTENTION)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Anything that discourages people playing 'objective gaming, the antithesis' Vasili is fine by me. GO DO THE loving OBJECTIVE, SNIPER BADS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Vassili with the PDP is actually tons of fun, though I'm not sure how much the headshot change will ruin that

• Locked thread