Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Richard Bong posted:

Any good guides you recommend?

I learned the basics of painting from the numerous 40k tutorials on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Richard Bong posted:

Pick a color(usually black or brown) and slap it on pretty much the entire model unless the spot would be obviously inappropriate. The Citadel washes are extremely popular but other companies make them and there are even some guides to make your own on the cheap.

The people in this thread would be happy to give you any information or suggestions you need: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692

This thread is about models which are exceptionally bad for reasons other than "beginner needs more practice". Very few people are good at painting right away, the vast majority of us only put out decent looking stuff because we did a lot of mediocre paint jobs first.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Richard Bong posted:

Honestly mate, washes are like liquid magic talent. You don't need to know anything to begin with other than 'slap on a darker colour, leave to dry' (black or brown usually, although blue can look great on white.)

I don't use P3 or Reaper paints so don't know what the colours you want are called, but I believe there is something called 'Armor Wash' that is likely to be good stuff.

That's it at its most basic. If you want to get a little more involved, keep an eye on your wash as it's going onto the model and try to watch out for 'pooling' which is where the wash gathers in blobs on flat areas. It doesn't look great, but fortunately washes remain liquid for much longer than regular paint and you can brush the wash away and into the cracks/corners where it is much more effective as a shade.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
The thing to remember about a wash is that it will definitely darken the colors underneath it, so if you're trying to achieve a certain look, you may want to use a lighter shade (or exaggerate the highlights) before applying the wash.

The beauty of a well-applied wash is that it will cover a multitude of painting sins, so if your highlighting technique is as primitive as "drybrush with a lighter color or two", a wash will help tone down the "chalky" appearance of the drybrush job, and blend everything in so that it all works together. :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

3- step guide to tabletop quality stuff that looks decent:

1. Base coat. Build up in a couple of thin layers so you get even coverage without filling in detail.
2. Wash. GW and Army Painter pashes are both pretty good, I haven't had experience with others.
3. Highlight with the original base colour again. Depending on what you're painting this could be a drybrush or just touching up the edges.

When painting horde armies like Skaven you can use the slightly more advanced strategy to speed things up:

1. Base coat all areas of the model. Pick a palette that will work well with the same shade colour on different areas (e.g. different shades of brown, mustardy robes, bone and metal blades).
2. Apply wash to whole thing (a generic dark wash will usually suffice).
3. Highlights.and picking out any other colours you need.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ineptmule posted:

but I believe there is something called 'Armor Wash' that is likely to be good stuff.

It's not. It's bluish black which is gonna conflict with many colors if applied straight.

Just grab the Army Painter washes (not the stain cans) - Strong Tone is the best safe option, and Soft is for light colors like yellow and bone. Dark is black, use for steel (although I recommend a mix of 4 parts Dark to 1 part Strong to break the color).

sirspen
Sep 10, 2010

Krampus Grewcock posted:

So which one of you put this in the deep dream?

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself, it was just so beautiful :allears:

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Google apparently isn't developing AIs. They're just filtering images/employees through the warp.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I wish I'd had a camera back when my cousin did his space marines. He didn't clip the handles off the bolters, so they were just balancing massive pistols and rifles precariously on the back of their meaty fists, sometimes with the off hand held high to support it. It was incredible, and my reaction to this pretty much put him off warhammer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

:rock:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ShineDog posted:

I wish I'd had a camera back when my cousin did his space marines. He didn't clip the handles off the bolters, so they were just balancing massive pistols and rifles precariously on the back of their meaty fists, sometimes with the off hand held high to support it. It was incredible, and my reaction to this pretty much put him off warhammer.

I saw a bunch of half primed space marines just like this on ebay several months ago. It kind of blew my mind someone would do that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

gently caress yee!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I think I know what I want to be when I grow up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
From the studio that brought you the tactile squad, soviet, soviet and soviet, come...

Massive Tits On An Earthworm

And while you're there, make sure to get

Guild Command for the Sand Wars (original universe)

and the amazing Tauran tank

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think this dude is in the wrong thread because he rules.

JcDent posted:

From the studio that brought you...
:stonk: Who's buying this guy's lovely models?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JcDent posted:

From the studio that brought you the tactile squad, soviet, soviet and soviet,

To be fair, the Soviets are in 15mm.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

gently caress your tank, this here is the poo poo: http://mjfigures.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=553

Again, 15mm, but hell I'd buy a few if I was still playing FoW regularly. May still get a few for when I get back into it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JcDent posted:

From the studio that brought you the tactile squad,

Well. At least he updated the spelling once he saw the error.

It's not, correctly spelled 'Tacticle'.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

To be fair, the Soviets are in 15mm.

I was making fun of the names rather than quality - anything under 28mm is always suspect.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well. At least he updated the spelling once he saw the error.

It's not, correctly spelled 'Tacticle'.

Holy poo poo, that's even better. It's like a brand of icicles marketed for Tier-1 operators.

YF19pilot posted:

gently caress your tank, this here is the poo poo: http://mjfigures.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=553

Again, 15mm, but hell I'd buy a few if I was still playing FoW regularly. May still get a few for when I get back into it.

My 6mm GHQ technical has better detail than that, it's not even funny.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

edit: wrong quote :v:

JcDent posted:

Welp, this managed to unspire me into finally learning how to use blender so I can make dorky future tanks. They can't be that bad.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 24, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

edit: wrong quote :v:

Welp, this managed to unspire me into finally learning how to use blender so I can make dorky future tanks. They can't be that bad.

Minus the tower, you're like three-four tutorials away from making something much better, and about seven away from wasting money on shapeways to print your own lovely not!autoguns that are a tad too small.
Not that I know anything about it.

EDIT: There's also a Tauran troop carrier. It's the same chassis minus the turret.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Terror of the Lichemaster!

Now to something that actually belongs in this thread:
Just chillaxin' and wearing the comfy Crocs.

Dat rear end.

The Saddest Troll:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 24, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Terror of the Lichemaster!

Now to something that actually belongs in this thread:
Just chillaxin' and wearing the comfy Crocs.

Dat rear end.

Not the Necrosphynx, NOOOOOOOOOO

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think mid-work models really count as belonging.

At least I assume that's just bulk packed on before detail carving.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

Minus the tower, you're like three-four tutorials away from making something much better, and about seven away from wasting money on shapeways to print your own lovely not!autoguns that are a tad too small.
Not that I know anything about it.

EDIT: There's also a Tauran troop carrier. It's the same chassis minus the turret.

Shapeways is bizarrely expensive which I can buy for vanity prints but when you're apparently offering to commercially print stuff a random 50% markup is just weird.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goatface posted:

I don't think mid-work models really count as belonging.

At least I assume that's just bulk packed on before detail carving.

Normally I"d agree, but he's selling it on Ebay, as "Tomb King Necrolith Collosus/ NecroSphinx conversion, basecoated, plastic." so I considered it fair game.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I like the shield. That's a good idea at least.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I like the shield. That's a good idea at least.

Look closely at the joint, especially toward the top.

Still think it's a good idea? DO YOU!?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Dat rear end.

im the butt beetle

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

It looks like he's wearing jogging pants, too. :v:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It looks like he's wearing jogging pants, too. :v:

That's straightup Walmart-shopper-in-sweatpants-butt.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's getting a big case of diet pepsi and some baked chips, because he's watching his weight.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pyrolocutus posted:

That's straightup Walmart-shopper-in-sweatpants-butt.

Miniatures of Walmart.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Yo sexy ladies want par with us
In a the car with us
Them nah war with us

In a the club them want flex with us
To get next to us
Them cah vex with us

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

ijyt posted:

This used to be a good thread.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

The Saddest Troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Massive Tits On An Earthworm

These models likpate pretty hard, even the naughty robophallos.