Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Lets Pickle posted:

Episode 11 was pretty nuts, I think it was the only time the entire season that somebody says the word gently caress. I forgot that since it's a Netflix-only show they can use whatever language they want. I get the impression that they held back on the f-word all season just so it would have more impact when it gets used that once.

The only other time it was used was in the first season, Herb's last words to Bojack: "Now get the gently caress out of my house."

e: now that it's spoilers allowed, I loved this subtle reference:

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"oval office" is in episode 3

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

"oval office" is in episode 3

Yeah but it was ok to say it because she is British. Those Brits say it all the time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Victorkm posted:

Yeah but it was ok to say it because she is British. Those Brits say it all the time.

It's true, over here oval office means "to enjoy someone's presence in a way you weren't expecting to"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Victorkm posted:

Yeah really though. I'm Irish and when I moved to Toronto I was shocked at how much oval office bothered people. It's so weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Yeah really though. I'm Irish and when I moved to Toronto I was shocked at how much oval office bothered people. It's so weird.
Are you genuinely confused by the idea of cultural differences giving words different connotations?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm embarrassed that I laughed hardest at the Matthew Fox/Scott Wolf joke. Also that ep. 2 9/11 joke might be the best 9/11 joke I've ever heard.

I'd really like to see a list of the guest voice actors and what roles they played. Who voiced the hippo Cosby analog?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Its so ridiculously stupid but I laughed my rear end off at the end of episode 2 (Mr. Peanutbutter saving Todd). I don't even know why. I rewatched the episode and the same thing happened. I'm not very good at being critical.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 20, 2015

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I rewatched the first episode today after finishing season 2 and I'm pretty sure one of the four people who got Todd into improv was at the quinceanera. The one with the hat.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you genuinely confused by the idea of cultural differences giving words different connotations?

Don't be stupid, you know he didn't mean that, stupid.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I knew that orphanage portrait looked familiar.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

I knew that orphanage portrait looked familiar.

Why do they always use the sneeze picture?!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
loving Paul McCartney was amazing. Scott Wolf/Matthew Fox was pretty much the best way they could have played that. Wanda's brick joke. Todd's off-screen sponsoring of a genocide. The entire ending of Episode 8 - "Elijah Wood?" *reactions* *money immediately falls into fire* *cut to credits.* That last convo between Bojack and Wanda. Ending the season on a quasi-happily ever after where no one's happy and Courtney Barnett plays as the season ends.

This was an excellent loving season of television.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This season I finally understood the hand sign that Sarah Lynn does.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I watched all of Season 1 and definitely didn't like it as much as a lot of people. I thought there were basically 3-4 good episodes in the whole season. Is season 2 more of the same?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I watched all of Season 1 and definitely didn't like it as much as a lot of people. I thought there were basically 3-4 good episodes in the whole season. Is season 2 more of the same?

Yes. A little tighter in some places, a little looser in some places; but it evens out to being just like season 1. You'd probably have the exact same reaction to season 2.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

This season I finally understood the hand sign that Sarah Lynn does.

Speaking of the episode where they reunite the Horsin' Around cast, did anyone else find it incredibly disappointing? All we get is some sort of mystery, followed by them solving the mystery and not a whole lot else. It hints at some interesting character development, but nothing comes of it. Princess Carolyn's bit was pretty funny, though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Biggest laugh of the season for me was probably:

"Okay.... Bojack, Do you want to talk about the elephant in the room?"

"Woooooooow! Okay. You know what? You know what? Your- First of all- Wow. A-Alright, I can't even - ugh! .... You know what? Pfft ugh. Wooooooooow!"

"He is never gonna forget that."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of the episode where they reunite the Horsin' Around cast, did anyone else find it incredibly disappointing? All we get is some sort of mystery, followed by them solving the mystery and not a whole lot else. It hints at some interesting character development, but nothing comes of it. Princess Carolyn's bit was pretty funny, though.

I thought it was great. It struck a good balance: it was funny and it got incredibly dark between all the references to Sarah Lynn being molested and the gut punch of an ending. Plus, animal puns: "I'll let you get back to your business" and Maggot Gyllenhaal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We didn't even get a callback to the redheaded kid's name being Bradley Hitler-Smith.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Apparently Lisa Hanawalt actually voiced a character this season... Becca the chicken in episode 5. Buc-buc-CAW!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Human Crouton posted:

Yes. A little tighter in some places, a little looser in some places; but it evens out to being just like season 1. You'd probably have the exact same reaction to season 2.

Sweet, thanks for the response. I'll give it a couple of episodes and see where I'm at.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
"Oh my god, are you Todd?"

"Uhh yes."

"SHUT UP TODD!"

"Awww okay"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love the little jokes about Mr Peanutbutter being a dog, like his ears perking up when the doorbell rings or Diane in the middle of a serious conversation about their relationship deadpanning "Mr. Peanutbutter, you know I love you, and you're a good dog, yes you are, yes you are, but.."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dolash posted:

I found it a little weird they weren't willing to have the characters say the Hippo had sexually abused his assistants. They made a point in the episode that everyone was dancing around actually saying the allegations but then when Diane steps up to say it outright the show cuts away.

What made it especially bad is that this unwillingness to engage with the actual weight of a rape accusation contributes to the very silence and permissiveness the show is trying to criticize. I feel like someone in the writing room said "We can't have Diane say rape, because if Bojack looks like he doesn't really care about rape that's too far and we'll lose the audience." But that's the unfortunate reality on the show, just as it is in real life - that the Hippo can get away with his abuse because all anyone wants to talk about is how the story's affecting media perception.

They want to keep the focus on the character relations, I get it, and Bojack standing up for Diane when passers-by insult her and trying to convince her that pursuing the story is bad for her career is meant to seem supportive. The problem is the rape accusations they're dancing around, if directly addressed, would (or should) completely overshadow whatever Bojack and Diane have to say to each other. Bojack discussing how his feelings were hurt by Diane's book and deciding he should support her as a friend is disconnected from the seriousness of the crime Diane is trying to raise awareness of. The show's used real issues as plot devices to prompt character interactions before, but even if the writers seem uncomfortable with the way they turned sexual abuse into a macguffin.

[...]

I still liked the episode and especially for trying to tackle such heavy subject matter, but there's still some points worth discussing.

The little ending scene was really well done, though. Really captured the futility.

I'm not finished with the season yet so I'm gonna be ducking right back out after I post this, but I don't think it was necessarily about the writers being afraid to mention the word "rape." We all know what "the allegations" are, we're not idiots, the whole Juneau tour stop was pretty much word for word how Hannibal Buress got everyone looking at Cosby. I think the question is "Did we need anybody to say out loud that it was rape?" None of the POV characters are arguing that it wasn't rape. Nobody's painting the hippo in shades of grey; his meeting with Diane wasn't about "Look I'm a good person who made some mistakes," he was there to tell her to gently caress off and to enjoy the end of her career. So if it's clear that the hippo is a bad guy and that he raped his assistants, then why do we need it said out loud?

Honestly, I think the word "rape" means a lot of different things to a lot of people, and there are a shocking amount of dumbasses out there who believe rape is bad, but has a very narrow definition, and that women often throw the word around with impunity in order to victimize men: "Well, maybe she was asking for it." "She doesn't have any memory of it, so how can we trust what she says?" I think not using the word "rape" is a clever way to get past all that (obviously insane) baggage and keep on target: "This manhippo has clearly victimized his assistants and has not faced justice for it." And I think that's ultimately gonna do more to change some minds on the issue (or at least plant a seed) than using a word that a few psychotic fuckers have managed to get people to dismiss outright.

(You do have a good point about the way Todd's plot intersected with the whole thing, though; it's why I didn't quote it.)

PostNouveau posted:

Buttttttt yeah, the plot itself wasn't believable at all since we just saw Bill Cosby become a total pariah in the span of about a week.

I think the difference between Cosby and the hippo whose name I've clearly forgotten is that Hannibal Buress was the one to call out Cosby. I think if, say, Aparna Nancherla called him out in the same way Hannibal did, there's a better chance that she'd be ignored and possibly even stigmatized, and that "We're here to enjoy my gift" wouldn't take on a horrifying double meaning.

Okay, like I said, I can't come back until I've finished the show, which might be some time because loving Jesus they're laying on the hurt, and I haven't even hit episode 11 yet. So for anybody responding, don't be surprised if you don't hear back right away.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You really can't just cede ground on what rape is - especially in a whole episode patterned around how people are trying to do exactly that. If the question is "we all know what they're talking about, why do they need to say it?" then the answer is it needs to be said because we all know what they're talking about, and everyone knowing what's going on while being too uncomfortable to admit it directly is the very core of the issue concerning powerful men exploiting their positions to sexually abuse women.

They want us to take Diane's side on this, that's pretty clear, but the show itself isn't completely willing to take her side. They literally have a moment where she points out nobody has the guts to name the allegations on-air and when she goes to do so we cut away - it's like the show's giving a knowing wink to their own discomfort and unwillingness, which isn't actually an excuse. I don't think they avoided using the word rape to avoid triggering those assholes whose first reaction is "oh, women lie about rape all the time, it's probably bullshit", those assholes are meant to be the target.

I think the issue is they want to set up a little ambiguity around Diane pursuing a worthy cause particularly to fit into her overarching arc about wanting to do important work, and they may have realized if the characters are forced to face the full implications head-on it's hard to stay on the fence. Even Sebastian and the war-torn Cordovia was presented so over-the-top as to be played for laughs, but a rapist getting away with his crimes due to his position is too dark to make jokes about directly - as soon as that little boy Diane befriended was blown up they were cracking jokes but I don't remember one sex joke concerning the hippo, the comic relief came from the magazine and Todd's latest goofishness.

It's still a good episode and it tackles a very serious issue in what is mostly a very honest way. I remember seeing one person say they finally understood why some women don't like "innocent" comments like the guy at the end telling her to smile. I do think that they fell short of their aims a little, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I really enjoyed how they each had a flashback to a moment where Herb had been there for them or provided some kind of advice, and showing how they completely missed the point. It was also nice that the other two kids didn't grow up to be complete and utter trainwrecks, it felt a little more balanced that way.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dolash posted:

I found it a little weird they weren't willing to have the characters say the Hippo had sexually abused his assistants. They made a point in the episode that everyone was dancing around actually saying the allegations but then when Diane steps up to say it outright the show cuts away.

You know that episode of the Simpsons where Troy McClure has a sham marriage but instead of just having him be gay they made him have a fish fetish because it's a wacky cartoon world? I figure that having the hippo be sexually abusing women but not explicitly saying how was just Bojack's pitch-black version of that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sleeveless posted:

You know that episode of the Simpsons where Troy McClure has a sham marriage but instead of just having him be gay they made him have a fish fetish because it's a wacky cartoon world? I figure that having the hippo be sexually abusing women but not explicitly saying how was just Bojack's pitch-black version of that.

This isn't sneaking things under the radar, though, unless there's some kind of censor rating Bojack had to squeak under that somehow let the rest of the season go. They're definitely pulling their punches. I'm sympathetic to why they're doing it from a writing perspective, there's all kinds of problems they'd have to deal with (from audience reactions, shitheads preprogrammed to side against rape allegations and writing difficulties where characters we're supposed to think have a fair point are forced to say "Yes, but" to rape directly), it's just a little less powerful than it otherwise could be.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fight Club is a good and important movie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so as much as I enjoyed the result of it at the end of episode 11 did Penny force herself on BoJack or did he actually just think "gently caress it, let's do this"? I mean it doesn't make a huge difference since BoJack didn't say "it's not what it looks like" when Charlotte walked in but at the same time I wouldn't have thought that BoJack would ever stoop that low.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Entropic posted:

I laughed most at the MRA Day float collapse

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Episode 8 The Elijah Wood line was hands-down the funniest thing I've seen on TV this year. I couldn't stop laughing. This show's ability to pivot from drama to humor makes everything land that much harder - it lets you laugh then slaps you across the face, then makes you laugh again before you can even be angry. I've never felt more manipulated by a TV show (including Community), and I love it.

Entropic posted:

Waitttt was that a reference to But I'm a Nice Guy?

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 21, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Aces High posted:

so as much as I enjoyed the result of it at the end of episode 11 did Penny force herself on BoJack or did he actually just think "gently caress it, let's do this"? I mean it doesn't make a huge difference since BoJack didn't say "it's not what it looks like" when Charlotte walked in but at the same time I wouldn't have thought that BoJack would ever stoop that low.

I think the second one. After getting rejected by Charlotte, when Penny is waiting for him on the boat, he tells her to go to bed and then goes into the bedroom, but he leaves the bedroom door open. Particularly since it is also the door to the outside, there was no reason for him to do that unless he expected her to follow him. If this is correct, it's kind of breathtaking to realize just how much bigger his transgressions against Charlotte are compared to Herb.

That said, there is enough ambiguity that, barring one of the creators weighing in, you can definitively say it happened either way.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Episode 11 also Episode 3. Right at the end of season 1, I absolutely called Herb dying, Charlotte and Bojack meeting up at the funeral, and hitting things off. Seemed like an obvious plot progression, but I was hoping it would come at a point where Bojack had learned how to be happy with himself, so he wouldn't sabotage yet another relationship. Am I reading too far into things by wondering if Bojack's exit from Charlotte's life, being towed to L.A. on his boat, was a nod to the phrase "that ship has sailed"?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

I dont know posted:

I think the second one. After getting rejected by Charlotte, when Penny is waiting for him on the boat, he tells her to go to bed and then goes into the bedroom, but he leaves the bedroom door open. Particularly since it is also the door to the outside, there was no reason for him to do that unless he expected her to follow him. If this is correct, it's kind of breathtaking to realize just how much bigger his transgressions against Charlotte are compared to Herb.

When he says "go to bed Penny" I think he was definitely telling her to go back to her own bed and leave him alone. Leaving the door open in that moment isn't in itself an invitation to come inside, but you could probably read it as kind of a visual metaphor for what we can most reasonably assume happens next: Penny persists, and instead of shutting her down and leaving her outside Bojack gives in. I doubt Bojack asked Penny to sleep with him, but obviously he agreed to do it, and considering he's a grown-rear end horse and she's a teenage girl that isn't actually any better.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Opposing Farce posted:

When he says "go to bed Penny" I think he was definitely telling her to go back to her own bed and leave him alone. Leaving the door open in that moment isn't in itself an invitation to come inside, but you could probably read it as kind of a visual metaphor for what we can most reasonably assume happens next: Penny persists, and instead of shutting her down and leaving her outside Bojack gives in. I doubt Bojack asked Penny to sleep with him, but obviously he agreed to do it, and considering he's a grown-rear end horse and she's a teenage girl that isn't actually any better.

This is a good point, I don't think he left the door open as an invitation so much as acknowledging that she wasn't going to give up, and that he no longer had the energy or motivation to resist her. It signaled he was going back to being passively indifferent as he does when depressed. Even though he didn't want to sleep with her, he consented because in the moment it was the path of least resistance.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

CRINDY posted:

loving Paul McCartney was amazing.

"Hmm yeah cake joke pretty funny...wait holy poo poo that was actually Paul McCartney?"

Famous people are coming from all over to be on an animated show on Netflix. Crazy.

I haven't seen any love yet for J. D. Salinger, probably my favorite (and the most absurd) part of Season 2.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Holy gently caress that Chicken for Dayz episode was the most messed up episode of anything I've seen in a long time.

I love this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am halfway through this season and it is great and such an improvement and legit one of the best shows of the year imo. Like the satire is still a little over-obvious and weak at times sure (Carolyn's whole speech to Salinger about people hating reading for one) but overall it's awesome and the character work rules.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Chakron posted:

"Hmm yeah cake joke pretty funny...wait holy poo poo that was actually Paul McCartney?"

Famous people are coming from all over to be on an animated show on Netflix. Crazy.

I haven't seen any love yet for J. D. Salinger, probably my favorite (and the most absurd) part of Season 2.

I loved how McCartney only had 2 lines and was almost completely inconsequential to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I thought it was weird that the panda from episode 9 was named Alan, given that most of the animal people on the show have apropos animal names- until I realized it might be a reference to this fella: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Alan_The_Panda