Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wa27 posted:

Riddle me this: Why do Cherry blues still click when you hold them upside down. Looks like the click comes from gravity?

I believe the springy metal from the switch mechanism pushes the white bit when it passes the bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

wa27 posted:

Riddle me this: Why do Cherry blues still click when you hold them upside down. Looks like the click comes from gravity?

The spring on the left pushes rightward against the angled part of the white thingy, which is what pushes it downward. Gravity alone wouldn't make whatever click you're hearing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are mx Reds really that bad for typing? I've never used a non-membrane keyboard but since I'm upgrading all the rest of my PC I might as well go for a better keyboard!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are mx Reds really that bad for typing? I've never used a non-membrane keyboard but since I'm upgrading all the rest of my PC I might as well go for a better keyboard!

They're fine for typing. You can use any switch type for anything. The ONLY place where there can actually be a meaningful difference is that Blues and Greens reset point is slightly higher than the actuation point due to the click mechanism.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wa27 posted:

It comes from the plastic piece popping over the metal clip, just like a mechanical pen, not from gravity.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They are extremely light and easy to activate accidentally. If you're a laser-accurate touch typist it's probably not a problem, but for most people they're more typo-prone than other switches.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I use reds and while they're just fine, I would prefer a bit more feedback since I bottom out too often. They aren't "bad" for typing it's just most people like to feel the bump in tactile switches.

That said they're so light that resting my fingers on them for gaming can actuate them and I have small girl hands. People with fat sausage fingers or big muscly Man Hands might want to go for blacks or a tactile switch.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Girlfriend spilled water all over my ducky shine 4 after two months of having it. Apparently it only got on to the 10key side. She cleaned it up when it happened, the lights worked fine, but this morning when I tried to log on the keys weren't registering and the #6 key was fully depressed.

Gonna take it apart, I guess clean with isopropyl alcohol and then rice the thing?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Audax posted:

Girlfriend spilled water all over my ducky shine 4 after two months of having it. Apparently it only got on to the 10key side. She cleaned it up when it happened, the lights worked fine, but this morning when I tried to log on the keys weren't registering and the #6 key was fully depressed.

Gonna take it apart, I guess clean with isopropyl alcohol and then rice the thing?

If it really was water, you likely have corrosion at this point and the controller may be toast.

Definitely take it apart, but be careful with isopropyl near your keycaps or other plastic parts. It can react with UV coatings and really mess things up.

Read the spill recovery guides on this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keyboardmaintenanceguides#wiki_keyboard_spill_recovery_guides

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I know I am a page late but the Code w/ clears on Massdrop really is a great deal for anyone who has been thinking of getting one.

This is a good thread and I am glad that there are others like me who started their mechanical keyboard journey with a Das Ultimate with Blues and found the Code with Clears many years later.

Has anyone replaced the keycaps on their code with something double shot but has shinethrough?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

cobalt impurity posted:

I use reds and while they're just fine, I would prefer a bit more feedback since I bottom out too often. They aren't "bad" for typing it's just most people like to feel the bump in tactile switches.

That said they're so light that resting my fingers on them for gaming can actuate them and I have small girl hands. People with fat sausage fingers or big muscly Man Hands might want to go for blacks or a tactile switch.

I have giant fat ham hands I don't have any issues with my reds, I really disliked the bump when I tried out browns. And don't even talk about blues. If anything my typing's gotten much faster and accurate.It all depends on what your preferences are.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Has anyone replaced the keycaps on their code with something double shot but has shinethrough?

As far as I know, Vortex offers the only set of backlit doubleshot PBT keycaps, and they're actually up on Massdrop right now. But while they feel nice as expected of PBT and are backlit, in terms of aesthetic it's a far cry from the clean look of the CODE's stock keycaps (which I think are by far the most attractive of any backlit keycap I've ever seen). Also, for keys with 2 legends, (e.g. the number top row), only the top legend (symbols) will really be backlit.

I have a set, but I put it on my Ducky Zero instead of my CODE. If I ever have to replace the keycaps on the CODE and they don't offer replacement sets of the keycaps by then, I'll probably just go for a non-backlit PBT and have only under lighting.

E: Deck also has PBT keycaps that are backlit, but I don't think they keycaps themselves are widely available, and their legends font make me want to stab my eyes out.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 19, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GokieKS posted:

E: Deck also has PBT keycaps that are backlit, but I don't think they keycaps themselves are widely available, and their legends font make me want to stab my eyes out.

seriously, it's like papyrus and comic sans had a flipper baby

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've got a Monoprice with Cherry MX Reds at work. I like it but I typo like crazy because:
a. I'm not a great typer
b. It seems like the keys are way too easy to activate so when I slightly actuate the neighboring key, both keys activate (sausage fingers I guess)

Is that Code with clears worth jumping on as a replacement or would I still have the same issues?

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go blacks same as red but heavier

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Lowness 72 posted:

I've got a Monoprice with Cherry MX Reds at work. I like it but I typo like crazy because:
a. I'm not a great typer
b. It seems like the keys are way too easy to activate so when I slightly actuate the neighboring key, both keys activate (sausage fingers I guess)

Is that Code with clears worth jumping on as a replacement or would I still have the same issues?
I was thinking about getting a code board with clears for work use, but I got one of those cm storm switch testers from massdrop first that got delivered this past week. I can't stop playing with it, and have realized that clears would probably be too tiresome on my fingers. I've had a Corsair K70 with brown switches for almost 6 months, and I can't decide If I'd like red/black switches better or some o-rings would help out with some accuracy on the browns I have now.. so I just ordered a set of the red o-rings from WASD that I'm gonna test out on my K70 and the tester before making any final decisions.. I'd really suggest testing out stuff before making your decision too

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just got a Pok3r 3 with clears and so far I am loving the feel of the clears vs my previous board Corsair K65 RGB reds. I miss the backlighting since my office is pretty dark, but a nice set of light color keycaps should take care of that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Varg posted:

I was thinking about getting a code board with clears for work use, but I got one of those cm storm switch testers from massdrop first that got delivered this past week. I can't stop playing with it, and have realized that clears would probably be too tiresome on my fingers. I've had a Corsair K70 with brown switches for almost 6 months, and I can't decide If I'd like red/black switches better or some o-rings would help out with some accuracy on the browns I have now.. so I just ordered a set of the red o-rings from WASD that I'm gonna test out on my K70 and the tester before making any final decisions.. I'd really suggest testing out stuff before making your decision too

Clears aren't really tiresome. The finger just knows when the key hath been struck and it's pretty easy to get used to. Just in comparison to much lighter switches they seem heavy but in their own they are totally fine, regardless of your hand slash finger size and strength.

But then again I haven't used a tester, just compared to various keyboards around the house.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I find clears to be incredibly tiring, personally. I wouldn't mind clears on the middle sets of keys and then something lighter like browns on the ones where my pinkie has to travel.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Speaking of switch testers look at this motherfucker on massdrop. Joined immediately.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I find clears to be incredibly tiring, personally. I wouldn't mind clears on the middle sets of keys and then something lighter like browns on the ones where my pinkie has to travel.
Yeah this is my concern pretty much since I do a lot of copy+pasting at work and my pinky would be getting a workout. How easy is it to change a switch out to a different one?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yesss my keyboard parts turned up. I got a pair of pullers from WASD as well as a bunch of stabiliser inserts because I broke a few trying to pull them out on the stock Das keys, as well as some other bits just in case.

So I should be set when the next lot of keycaps I ordered turn up, hopefully this week.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

I know I am a page late but the Code w/ clears on Massdrop really is a great deal for anyone who has been thinking of getting one.

This is a good thread and I am glad that there are others like me who started their mechanical keyboard journey with a Das Ultimate with Blues and found the Code with Clears many years later.

I saw that drop and considered it for a bit but I'd much rather pay the extra to get the thing direct from wasdkeyboards instead of waiting over a month. If the discount was larger I'd be all over it, though.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
While I love the MX Clears for typing and normal usage, I do agree that it can be very tiring if you're repeatedly pressing the same button, which is why I still think MX Browns is the better all-around option for most people (and why I use them on my gaming PC keyboard).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
How do clears feel compared to buckled spring designs?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This keyboard looks kind of gaudy and possibly terrible but it's got Cherry MX Brown switches. Maybe you're on a budget. Maybe you like :pcgaming:
ASUS STRIX TACTIC PRO Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches $59.99 after $30 rebate.

https://slickdeals.net/f/7990905-asus-strix-tactic-pro-mechanical-backlit-keyboard-60-after-30-rebate-free-shipping?v=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=7990905&Item=N82E16823193015&cm_sp=

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Great price for a full size MX Brown board. Too bad it's the ugliest loving thing I've seen in ages.

And non-standard bottom row. :suicide: I don't understand the "GAMING KEYBOARD" fascination with that.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Zigmidge posted:

How do clears feel compared to buckled spring designs?

heavier and with an actuation point that is higher up. Not nearly as loud. It's easier to feel the actuation point on springs when typing fast, on clears it starts to blend in.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've used a keyboard with red cherry microswitches for a long time, the kind that have no resistance or tactile bump when you press a key.

It's been a while since I read up on this and should really just thoroughly read this page for a refresher on which colors behave in which ways. I think I might like to switch to whichever one offers the smallest tactile feedback right at the end of the key press.

I'm reposting these just so I can see them next to each other.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 21, 2015

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I type and code all day on a CODE w/clears and don't find them tiring at all. Those of you who find them tiring, do you by any chance bottom them out all the time? I find Clears to be one of the easiest switches to learn not to bottom out, because the resistance ramps up quite sharply after actuation and almost provides a sort of cushion. Once you learn not to push them all the way down, you can actually type pretty lightly on them.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

chippy posted:

I type and code all day on a CODE w/clears and don't find them tiring at all. Those of you who find them tiring, do you by any chance bottom them out all the time? I find Clears to be one of the easiest switches to learn not to bottom out, because the resistance ramps up quite sharply after actuation and almost provides a sort of cushion. Once you learn not to push them all the way down, you can actually type pretty lightly on them.

I don't find them tiring for typing, but I do for playing games where I'm pressing the same button repeatedly at a high rate, and that is partially because I do bottom out a lot more when doing that than when typing - I find it hard to avoid when trying to press the same button over and over (almost) as fast as possible.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I have carpal tunnel and work on a computer all day. Anything I can do go make my wrists hurt less I will. Hence me getting the lightest keys I can.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Gateron white switches are linear 35g, even lighter than Cherry reds. Not sure if any boards are using them, but there does exist an even lighter option than Red/Brown.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

chippy posted:

Are there anything like o-rings that actually stops the key from going lower than the actuation point?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheModernAmerican posted:

Are there anything like o-rings that actually stops the key from going lower than the actuation point?
Some chunky o-rings would do that, but at some point I'd ask why you're using a cherry switch board in the first place. Someone with a typing style that bottoms out all the time should maybe get a Topre or something more comfortable for that style.

Clears have heavy feedback, if you're not adapting to that feedback they are probably not a great fit.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Oh, the opposite is the case for me. My typing speed has gone up by 10-15 wpm since I got reds. I was just wondering.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
When I made the jump to mechanicals, my speed dropped about 10wpm to 90. When I became acclimated, I jumped back up to normal, and I broke my plateau - six years later, I'm at 120-125 (though the last 10 have been slow gains). I feel like I can get a little faster on my AT101W, but not much; I need better switches to improve again. There's a feeling of struggling against the keyboard that I get sometimes, and the 2kro is messing with my typing occasionally.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
It's decision time for me. I am trying to decide between a pok3r or a KUL ES-87 both with clear switches.

I don't really need the 60% size, but I generally don't use any of the home/end page up/down keys so I don't feel I would miss them. I also really like the idea of being able to bind wasd to the arrow keys

I'm looking at the ES-87 since a lot of reviews claim is has better build quality then the code as well as being a bit cheaper (I don't really care about LED lit keys.)

Is there anything I am missing or should be considering about these two, or a third option that is also good?

This is my first mechanical, so I'm leery about dropping this much money on a keyboard.

Fake Edit: I'm currently leaning towards the pok3r simply because no one seems to have the ES-87 in stock right now.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't really need the 60% size, but I generally don't use any of the home/end page up/down keys so I don't feel I would miss them. I also really like the idea of being able to bind wasd to the arrow keys

Having just got my first Pok3r (with clears) a few days ago I am loving where they have placed the default arrow keys and home/end/pgup/pgdn keys. I bound the FN key to Caps Lock, and it allows me to easily move all over my documents while never taking my fingers off the home row. As far as build quality, this thing feels like a drat tank, I honestly don't know how they made it so heavy yet so compact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

niss posted:

Having just got my first Pok3r (with clears) a few days ago I am loving where they have placed the default arrow keys and home/end/pgup/pgdn keys. I bound the FN key to Caps Lock, and it allows me to easily move all over my documents while never taking my fingers off the home row. As far as build quality, this thing feels like a drat tank, I honestly don't know how they made it so heavy yet so compact.

Came to type basically the same thing.

I've had my Pok3r for a few days now and I love it. Its replacing my CM QuickFire with browns at work which is saving me a poo poo load of desk space and is a lot quieter then browns with O-rings. It didn't take long to get used to using Caps Lock as a FN key to maneuver around a document or command prompt if that's what you're worried about.

• Locked thread