Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. Did SMG get a new user name? You're reading an awful lot of probably unintentional subtext into movies about monsters.

I'm nowhere near the only person with that interpretation, and it's pretty much the tamest version of gender/sexuality analysis of Predator you'll find out there. I've read ones that range from 80s AIDS panic to Dutch's latent homosexuality. Screenwriters and filmmakers intentionally fold all kinds of subtext into their movies all the time.

And if I was SMG I'd be filling up a whole page with elaboration and a scene-by-scene analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
One of the very first posts I read on something awful was a very similar analysis.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's really stupid, tbh.

It's Predator. A dumb shoot-the-alien movie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nutsngum posted:

Because in the visual context of Temple of Doom you "can" survive it. Yes I know in real life you would hit the ground too hard anyway but it still looks like it could possibly work. Hence suspension of disbelief.

The fridge scene was him inside a metal box getting thrown around at about 100mph and coming out completely unscathed. You just die from that, theres no "oh maybe". The real issue is that Crystal Skull was just a disjointed mess and a really nonsensical and boring story, not a single scene that could have been forgotten or even just handled a little better.

One thing that *could* have come out of Crystal Skull that *could* have been cool was if they did something with the stories of Indy's adventures during WWII with the OSS. I mean, sorry to the guy from last page who doesn't like them, but the reason that the Nazis are the bad guys in so many things is that a) they're completely indefensible and are serious, purestrain evil and b) they did so much poo poo that was either or both completely evil and actually insane, during, before and after WWII that there are a ton of places you can put a sympathetic protagonist into their activities in order to tell a decent story. The occult fascination that the Nazi brass had may not have been as significant as fiction has indicated, but it was a thing, and it means that you can have all sorts of out-there stuff in your war stories that lends itself well to a character like Indy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The reason Crystal Skull was a crappy movie was because they just kind of crammed a bunch of old Indy scripts together.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Why not Mussolini?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Why not Mussolini?

Well he made the trains run on time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Why not Mussolini?

Brand recognition.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

That doesn't meant it's not cool and fun to think about beyond having a dopey expression on one's face whenever something explodes on the screen.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Trent posted:

The monkeys scene in crystal skull was just terrible, mostly because of the visual quality. I don't understand why anyone thinks the fridge scene is any less ridiculous than the raft-out-of-the-plane scene or the giant-propeller-out-of-the-water scene. Survival of Insanely low probability scenarios is pretty much Indy's thing!

That being said, it was the weakest Indy movie and the ending was terrible and rushed, but that's not an irrational irritation, I don't think.

The shot of Indiana Jones standing before the mushroom cloud is fuckin' sweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Danger Mahoney posted:

You're a dumb shoot the alien movie.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. Did SMG get a new user name? You're reading an awful lot of probably unintentional subtext into movies about monsters.

that's like the point of movies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

that's like the point of movies

That is just really not true.

Subtext maybe is the point of some movies, or possibly of good movies, but it is not generally the point of movies

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've actually seen people who refuse to believe that the Alien Xenomorph is phallic in any way and think that anyone who gets any dick vibes is obviously reading way too much into those movies. The Alien being a rapist dick monster isn't even subtext it's plain text. So much so that they hired professional dick doodler H.R. Geiger to design it.

I can understand people being a bit sceptical about the Predator pussy connection but saying that just because it's a dumb monster movie it can't also be smart is pretty dumb. A lot of seemingly dumb movies are pretty drat smart.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Why not Mussolini?

The Nazis are just a lot better known than their Italian comrades, even if they were into fascism before Nazism became cool. Most people don't even know who Mussolini was and his logo, which is literally a human being, is already everywhere and doesn't have nearly the level of brand recognition that the swastika has..

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Memento posted:

One thing that *could* have come out of Crystal Skull that *could* have been cool was if they did something with the stories of Indy's adventures during WWII with the OSS. I mean, sorry to the guy from last page who doesn't like them, but the reason that the Nazis are the bad guys in so many things is that a) they're completely indefensible and are serious, purestrain evil and b) they did so much poo poo that was either or both completely evil and actually insane, during, before and after WWII that there are a ton of places you can put a sympathetic protagonist into their activities in order to tell a decent story. The occult fascination that the Nazi brass had may not have been as significant as fiction has indicated, but it was a thing, and it means that you can have all sorts of out-there stuff in your war stories that lends itself well to a character like Indy.

There was that young Indy show in the 90s. I've never seen it though. I don't know if it was any good.

I was actually pretty ok with the fridge thing. They had that nice little zoom on the label saying it was lead lined which provides enough cartoon logic for me. Except that they show it being launched hundreds of feet before it comes to a skidding rolling stop.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've actually seen people who refuse to believe that the Alien Xenomorph is phallic in any way and think that anyone who gets any dick vibes is obviously reading way too much into those movies. The Alien being a rapist dick monster isn't even subtext it's plain text. So much so that they hired professional dick doodler H.R. Geiger to design it.

These people have obviously not scene the extended cut of the original, in which the xenomorph stabs a girl in the vag so hard she dies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can understand people being a bit sceptical about the Predator pussy connection but saying that just because it's a dumb monster movie it can't also be smart is pretty dumb. A lot of seemingly dumb movies are pretty drat smart.

I can give these people the vagina connection, because that'd be a pretty hosed-up vagina. But to handwave the hyper-masculinity as "it's just a dumb action movie yo" is just incredibly dumb.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dr_Amazing posted:

There was that young Indy show in the 90s. I've never seen it though. I don't know if it was any good.

I was actually pretty ok with the fridge thing. They had that nice little zoom on the label saying it was lead lined which provides enough cartoon logic for me. Except that they show it being launched hundreds of feet before it comes to a skidding rolling stop.
Yeah, the problem with the fridge thing isn't the radiation, it's the being smashed into a bloody pulp within a tumbling metal box.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, the problem with the fridge thing isn't the radiation, it's the being smashed into a bloody pulp within a tumbling metal box.

You mean like every car crash in every movie ever? Good guys survive, bad guys explode. If you can suspend the cartoon logic of 'lead lined = no rads'...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pidmon posted:

You mean like every car crash in every movie ever? Good guys survive, bad guys explode. If you can suspend the cartoon logic of 'lead lined = no rads'...

Isnt that kind of the point though? If the fridge scene was well done, no-one would question it in the same way that we dont question the hero walking away from car crashes or fighting on with a bullet in the shoulder. That is the essential difference between the fridge scene in crystal skull and the raft scene in temple; the raft scene was shot competently enough, and the movie was engaging enough, that people accepted it, whereas the fridge scene had people I know who arent exactly critical viewers reacting with "isnt that some bullshit?" pretty much as their fb status on leaving the cinema.

If a large percentage of viewers can accept one thing but not another, the problem isnt that the audience sucks, its that the film makers didnt do their job well. If the audience were engaged with the movie then they would accept fairly major leaps in logic (both in action and in plot to be fair), if they arent engaged then instead of only thinking of the issues later they see them immediately.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pidmon posted:

If I see a man climb out of a car that just fell down the Grand Canyon I might frown a little.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

If I see a man climb out of a car that just fell down the Grand Canyon I might frown a little.

Thelma and Louise had a happy ending in this man's world.

On which note: in the last shot of Thelma and Louise you can see the parachute on the car starting to open.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't remember it being particularly action oriented. It's stuff like him meeting George Gershwin and learning to play the trumpet jazz style. And it's set in the 1900s-20s so it's well before any cool OSS stuff.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fil5000 posted:

I don't remember it being particularly action oriented. It's stuff like him meeting George Gershwin and learning to play the trumpet jazz style. And it's set in the 1900s-20s so it's well before any cool OSS stuff.

I don't know if it was in the TV show but there was a series of books about him doing stuff during the first world War. The only one I remember had him sleeping with Mata Hari.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm taking a stand against Nazis right here right now. I just don't like Nazis, sorry. It's why the History Channel sucks man

You won't find any nazis on The History Channel unless they're pawning off whatever crap they got from an abandoned storage unit or hauling goods across America.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

You won't find any nazis on The History Channel unless they're pawning off whatever crap they got from an abandoned storage unit or hauling goods across America.

And who among us would NOT watch that?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Desk Lamp posted:

Exactly this. Discovery and History just went into the shitter the past 5 years or so. I don't care about people spending house down payments on cars from some guy, people selling their total legit item to some pawnbroker in Vegas or digging through old storage lockers to try and find stuff in a totally not staged way at all. Everything is staged fake reality TV reenactments about poo poo we know happens but really don't care about.

It amuses me that Discovery started getting called out for their Shark Week BS with its fake documentaries.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
A lot of failed college professors itt

(talking about sexy alien movies)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Nazis are just a lot better known than their Italian comrades, even if they were into fascism before Nazism became cool. Most people don't even know who Mussolini was and his logo, which is literally a human being, is already everywhere and doesn't have nearly the level of brand recognition that the swastika has..

Also the Nazis were actually a threat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bonk posted:

I'm nowhere near the only person with that interpretation, and it's pretty much the tamest version of gender/sexuality analysis of Predator you'll find out there. I've read ones that range from 80s AIDS panic to Dutch's latent homosexuality.

This is when you know you've spent too much time on the internet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Also the Nazis were actually a threat.
Hey, Ethiopia felt pretty threatened, man

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

Thelma and Louise had a happy ending in this man's world.

They would have lived if they had jumped off that cliff in a fridge.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

I liked Young Indiana Jones at the time. It was kind of an edutainment produced by Spielberg about a teenager having adventures in history, iirc.

Haven't seen all of Indy 4 and don't plan on seeing it any time soon.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I thought Indy 4 was decent right up until the jungle scene where Shia is swinging from vine to vine like Tarzan and giant killer ants show up.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that bugged me about the fridge is that once it's closed and the seal is formed not only can you not open it from the inside but you'd also suffocate to death in about 2 minutes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Well then it's good that a nuclear blast knocked him a few thousand feet through the air, the jolt can crack the door open and allow the indiana slurry to pour out and get some much needed oxygen-24 or whatever horrible isotope is the worst possible oxygen.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Zaphod42 posted:

This is when you know you've spent too much time on the internet.

WhovianSchoolShooter420SNARF came out of the closet to say:
You've spent too much time on the internet

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I can't believe people have been discussing the subtext of genitals in Alien/Predator movies. That's the kind of behaviour I expect from the densest posters in the Subtle Movie thread.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

swamp waste posted:

WhovianSchoolShooter420SNARF came out of the closet to say:
You've spent too much time on the internet

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Crystal Skull worked as a tribute to 50s pulp sci-fi by having a cool premise that was let down by poor, idiotic and bizarre creative choices.