Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Delivery by 8pm Tuesday.

HURRY UP, AMAZON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
It hopped back up to $15.40 in the US.

I wonder why it was only $13.07 for a while?

Germ
May 7, 2013

signalnoise posted:

THANKS GERM

I just bought 125 bucks worth of stupid poo poo I don't need from your store!

Yea! Thanks! I'll use your money to buy more resin to make more stupid poo poo for people to buy, perpetuating an endless cycle of consumerism that can only end in total world domination!

Moths, those walls look great!

Just got back from a 3-day Irishwake for Warhammer Fantasy, so I'll get the stuff packed up and sent off later today.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

It hopped back up to $15.40 in the US.

I wonder why it was only $13.07 for a while?

I think it has something to do with Amazon's algorithms. They've probably got some crazy AI seeing all the traffic and dropping the price to increase sales. Once the initial buzz wears off, the price goes back up. They might also be able to negotiate a lower price depending on how many pre-orders they are able to pull - when you're dealing in Amazon volume, a publisher is likely to take a bit of a hit if it means more copies in the hands of potential players.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I got my copy yesterday (thanks whoever posted the bookdepository link) and it looks very swingy to me.

I really question the d20 mechanic. A 3d6 would seem much better and bring things closer to expected outcomes. This is not just combat either. The treasure tables in the campaign system just use a straight roll with everything having the same probability. So treasure can be huge or insignificant at the same odds.

These sorts of changes would be easy to apply and it seems a bit lazy and not thought through.

There also doesn't seem to be any balancing mechanic in the campaign so the runaway leader problem is likely to be there.

On the other hand, the book is well put together, and the theme is great. My 12 year old son is dead keen to start building his warband so the nerd gene pool is looking strong.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beffer posted:

I got my copy yesterday (thanks whoever posted the bookdepository link) and it looks very swingy to me.

I really question the d20 mechanic. A 3d6 would seem much better and bring things closer to expected outcomes. This is not just combat either. The treasure tables in the campaign system just use a straight roll with everything having the same probability. So treasure can be huge or insignificant at the same odds.

These sorts of changes would be easy to apply and it seems a bit lazy and not thought through.

There also doesn't seem to be any balancing mechanic in the campaign so the runaway leader problem is likely to be there.
:ohdear:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Beffer posted:

So treasure can be huge or insignificant at the same odds.

I don't have the book yet ( :( ) but the odds don't sound like the problem. The problem would be that there are lovely entries on the treasure table at all. Even if its less likely, rolling booby prize really sucks at the end of a hard fight.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
What I'm really hoping is that the game plays fast enough that we could play a four player campaign and just shift around opponents in one evening. A really long campaign with a bunch of people could be cool but the customization of the wizards plus enough games to make some of the out of combat stuff important makes it seem like it could work for a good taste of what the game offers.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I don't have the book yet ( :( ) but the odds don't sound like the problem. The problem would be that there are lovely entries on the treasure table at all. Even if its less likely, rolling booby prize really sucks at the end of a hard fight.

I might have exaggerated the problem. None of the treasure is junk, but based on the gold coin value, there is a five fold difference in values, with the same probability of receiving the outcome.

This is all based on one reading of the rules, and I haven't played the game, so don't write it off yet. On first glance, though, it seems that they could have put more effort into the tables and rolling mechanism than they have.

e: spelling

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds like Frostgrave might be best for shortish campaigns of like 6 missions before hard-resetting. And that's fine, really.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It sounds like Frostgrave might be best for shortish campaigns of like 6 missions before hard-resetting. And that's fine, really.

That's about how long I'd last before wanting to try something new out, honestly. Especially if they expand the wizards or (especially) the hirelings.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I generally dislike single-die systems. Expected averages let you bake some predictability into your core mechanics and still have room for zaniness occurring on the battlefield.

Too easy to feel like you just got hosed by the dice when there are less dice and less rolls over the course of a game.

I'll reserve judgement of course, just sayin' :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Got my copy delivered yesterday, gave it a going over once the kids were in bed... and.. ended the night ordering a box set of the plastic soldiers and a couple of wizards, one of my gaming group agreeing to split between us to give it a whirl.

My gaming buddies are total magpies. I love it.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Amazon Germany changed to no stock and delivery time 1 to 2 months. My order still says it'll leave next week, but I'm skeptical. Looks like the cheaper Amazon UK options won't ship to my home and Bookdepo increased the price to nearly 20 Euros. Really hope those Germans pull through, it has already been difficult waiting this long.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Regarding the swingyness I totally understand it from a narrative position. It's a beer and pretzels game. It's the fantasy tactics equivalent of Dreadball.

Also

http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

enri posted:

ended the night ordering a box set of the plastic soldiers and a couple of wizards

The saddest hobby

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

signalnoise posted:

Regarding the swingyness I totally understand it from a narrative position. It's a beer and pretzels game. It's the fantasy tactics equivalent of Dreadball.

Also

Oh my god, now it's time to print up forty different armbands in hopes that I'll actually get to use one!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The swingyness is a concern, but frankly I am looking at this as a Mordheim replacement so it is not exactly something I'm not used to dealing with. I am also hoping that the improved role of armor and the way wounds work will help cushion it - I still think it is going to be swingy, but may be not as badly as people are fearing. I guess we'll see as people play it out.

I'm also hoping that the campaign doesn't have a runaway leader problem. This was particularly an issue in Necromunda because everyone gained experience, so after a few good games it was possible for an entire gang to have advanced and gained solid abilities that made them hard to catch up. With only the Wizard actually advancing, it seems like that will be less of a concern - especially if even losing wizards can make decent progress in the aftermath.

The fact that the henchmen don't advance and that the gap between them is pretty small also seems like it will prevent things getting too out of control. In Mordheim it was easy to get power models because gaining a single wound or a single point of Toughness/WS made a big difference - even the best henchmen in Frostgrave are only looking at a +2 difference in stats from the worst, and only +4 in wounds or armor - and they are 5 times the cost. Even if a gang gets ahead and has a bunch of Templar ot Barbarians, they aren't invulnerable to Thugs and can definitely get pulled down on a 2v1 match.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If advancement means too much, you might be able to cut warband size and magic item allowance. Justify it as wizardly hubris and hoarding all the magic items for themselves.

Or just "rebalance" the warband by having the apprentice shank their master and take over.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Also

They (you?) need to add the costs to the henchmen in the drop down "Barbarian (100 gc)". Otherwise it is great!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Also, an "export list" would be great (bonus points for another option with BBCode formatting to post here :v:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Got my copy, great looking little book. Shocked it was so cheap.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

BioTech posted:

Amazon Germany changed to no stock and delivery time 1 to 2 months. My order still says it'll leave next week, but I'm skeptical. Looks like the cheaper Amazon UK options won't ship to my home and Bookdepo increased the price to nearly 20 Euros. Really hope those Germans pull through, it has already been difficult waiting this long.

Also still waiting :( I hope it comes through soon!!

In other news: I finally got some disposable income which I spent on 4ground terrain. Can't wait till that comes in - also, in case people missed this: osprey have released the pdf rules.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Commissar Kip posted:

in case people missed this: osprey have released the pdf rules.
Ouch. $20 is a bit much - anyone know if they update the PDF with errata and give a new version to buyers?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

drat you Amazon. My order got pushed from today before 8pm to tomorrow.

E: No it actually says September 22... Um what?

E2: Well this stinks...

Amazon Chat: I have checked and it appears that this item shows that it ships usually within 1 to 2 months. You can confirm this on the website by clicking here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1472805046
That is why we sent out the email letting you know about this
I'm sorry for the confusion with the delivery dates on this, this type of things normally don't happen

Did anyone else get an "update" on their delivery date?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2015

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The swing in the system is fine to me simply because you're running multiple characters. I PREFER 2d6 or whatever systems in general as a designer, but a d20 being swingy is less frustrating than it would be running an RPG character because at least you're rolling for a bunch of guys and not losing your one action for the next 45 minutes to a bad roll. And it also means you probably want to gang up on people and get into unfair fights and so on, so it still encourages a kind of tactical thinking. And from what I hear of the damage system, the designer has taken into account that dropping someone in one hit shouldn't be a super common thing and is designing around the die properly.

Now if only I didn't live on a rock in the middle of the atlantic ocean and could get shipping earlier than two weeks...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I enjoy how this fan made promo for Frostgrave is as good or better than GW promos and gives you more information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6LC0hICjIQ

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress, q is not e

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Indolent Bastard posted:

drat you Amazon. My order got pushed from today before 8pm to tomorrow.

E: No it actually says September 22... Um what?

E2: Well this stinks...

Amazon Chat: I have checked and it appears that this item shows that it ships usually within 1 to 2 months. You can confirm this on the website by clicking here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1472805046
That is why we sent out the email letting you know about this
I'm sorry for the confusion with the delivery dates on this, this type of things normally don't happen

No update. Still listed as being delivered between 29 and 30th of July in my order.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

No update. Still listed as being delivered between 29 and 30th of July in my order.

I'm hoping it is a processing error of some type and I will see it sooner than later because 2 months is ludicrous.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ouch. $20 is a bit much - anyone know if they update the PDF with errata and give a new version to buyers?

You can get a mobi version from Amazon for $11.99

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm hoping it is a processing error of some type and I will see it sooner than later because 2 months is ludicrous.

I'm talking to Amazon.de's chat help line as we speak in my terrible German.

EDIT: according to the lady of Amazon.de all orders that were made before release will be delivered with a "slight delay" as they are getting stock from the UK - the UK Amazon has a gazillion copies. Everyone who ordered after release is poo poo out of luck, seeing as they sold out and are awaiting Osprey for new copies. Why they don't just also sell Amazon.co.uk's copies is beyond me. Maybe .de and .co.uk are 2 different companies with different stock systems?

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 21, 2015

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Instead of my Frostgrave book I got a message from Amazon telling me I had to change my payment type. Apparently they had my old number on file and used that. Why the gently caress it went through when I ordered it a week ago, and why they waited until after the book was supposed to be delivered to tell me, I have no idea. Still says it will be here in two days. I hope it doesn't get bumped to two months.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You can get a mobi version from Amazon for $11.99

I know, but mobi's suck for image formatting. I'm getting the hardcover book, so I'm not too concerned about it - I was just wondering since I do like having a PDF version of a rulebook for portability/backup purposes.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mine is supposedly out for delivery now. None of my group has reported any delays. When did you order your book?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Mine is supposedly out for delivery now. None of my group has reported any delays. When did you order your book?

July 16.

Maybe I missed the first lot and got stuck with the restock date?

It's annoying because my original delivery date was today.

E: gently caress it, I'll just find a pdf copy "somewhere" and see if the game isn't hot garbage; if it is I'll cancel, if it isn't I get my book in two months.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 21, 2015

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Found this on rpg.net, here. All hail LittleRedFox:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?749568-Frostgrave-Osprey-s-Publishing-take-on-Mordheim&p=19199710#post19199710

quote:

5-8 Soldiers From
Wardog
Thief - just a Dagger
Thug - Hand weapon (i.e. Sword, Axe, Mace club, etc)
Archer - Bow, Light Armour (i.e. Leather)
Crossbowman - Crossbow, Light Armour
Infantryman - Two-Handed Weapon (i.e. Two handed sword, Ax, etc), Light Armour
Tracker - Staff, Bow, Light Armour
Man-at Arms - Hand weapon, Shield, Light Armour
Treasure Hunter - Hand weapon, Dagger, Light Armour
Knight - Hand weapon, Shield, Heavy Armour (i.e. Chainmail)
Templar - Two-Handed weapon, Heavy Armour
Ranger - Bow, Hand weapon, Light Armour
Barbarian - Two Handed Weapon
Apothecary - Staff, Potion
Marksman - Crossbow, Hand weapon, Heavy Armour.

5 Treasure Tokens (4 Normal and 1 Special)

Up to one each of
A Wardog (For a Kennel)
An Imp, Minor Demon and Major Demon (For Demon Summoning)
An Imp (For Imp)
A Zombie (For Raise Zombie)
A Bear, Snow Leopard or Ice Toad (For Animal Companion) or a Wolf but wolves are less effective Snow Leopards.
A Small, Medium or Large Construct (for Animate Construct)
An extra Soldier (For each of being based in an Inn and Illusionary Soldier)
A Treasure Token (For each of Reveal Secret and Fool's Gold)

For Spell Effects you might want:
A three inch radius rough ground template (for Mud)
A three inch diameter circle of protection (for Circle of Protection)
1+ one inch radius insect clouds (for Plague of Insects)
A 6" long x3" high x 1" wide Wall of Fog (for Fog)
A 6" long x3" high Wall (for Wall)
A Wizard Eye (for Wizard Eye)
3 explosive runes (For Explosive Rune)
1+ skeletal hand reaching out of the ground markers (For Bones of the Earth)
1+ Doorway sized holes (for Crumble)
Some way to represent figures under the effects of Beauty, Glow, Monstrous Form, Mind Control, Plane Walk, Strength, Shield, Elemental Hammer, Enchant Weapon, Enchant Armour, Time Store, Fast Act, Decay, Slow, Fleet Feet and various levels of Curse

For Scenarios and Random Encounters you may also want:
Buildings including 4 broken walls, two ruined buildings, a tower, a mausoleum and six huts, four 2 inch teleporter discs and a well
8 or so Skeletons
A Genie
6 Statues
2 Giant Worms
2 Armoured Skeletons
2 Ghouls
2 Zombies
A Wraith
A Vampire
A White Gorilla
A Bear
A Boar
4 Giant Rats
2 Ice spiders
2 Wild Dogs
2 Wolves
2 Ice toads
2 Trolls
A Frost Giant
A Small Construct
A Medium Construct
A Large Construct
An Imp
A Demon
A Large Demon
A Werewolf (Wolfman form)

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Mine's out for delivery.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Commissar Kip posted:

I'm talking to Amazon.de's chat help line as we speak in my terrible German.

EDIT: according to the lady of Amazon.de all orders that were made before release will be delivered with a "slight delay" as they are getting stock from the UK - the UK Amazon has a gazillion copies. Everyone who ordered after release is poo poo out of luck, seeing as they sold out and are awaiting Osprey for new copies. Why they don't just also sell Amazon.co.uk's copies is beyond me. Maybe .de and .co.uk are 2 different companies with different stock systems?

I ordered before release, so this is reassuring.

By the way, I am totally stealing your Chtulhu warband idea. I'll probably use robed Goblins as cultists since I'm finishing a Night Goblin warband right now. After that I'll probably touch up the Dwarves I already dug up, then maybe build some Templars using Perry stuff, or a roaming mercenary group with the standard Frostgrave dudes and some Warhammer wizard. If someone in my group really wants to play Elves then I'll probably touch up those as well.

On the one hand it sucks to do all the work, but on the other hand I have the stuff laying around anyways and this way there is hardly any barrier for people to join me. I really like using different models, gives each warband character.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I enjoy how this fan made promo for Frostgrave is as good or better than GW promos and gives you more information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6LC0hICjIQ

To be fair to GW though, that is just some jaggy text super-imposed over the opening for Norn characters in Guild Wars 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I found a suitable reference copy until Amazon unfucks itself.

I still wonder if this game will fly or flop.