Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Re: Child of Light

Trent posted:

It's been said, but the rhyming text is at times just terribly written, which is confusing since so much effort was put into the game.

AFAIK, the original script was in French and some of it did not translate entirely well to English. Having English as my second language I did not find the text offensive and in fact enjoyed its quirks at times, but I imagine a native speaker would groan at some points.

The rest of the game is a gem, though. Playing on expert meant that its mix of turn based JRPG and rhythm game mechanics ended up being quite fun, exploration was always rewarded, and the music and art were just amazing. My favorite game I played last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i would like to make it my missions to take down John Numbers in a Mario match.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jean Nombres

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Darth TNT posted:

Wait, do you have to do that to consider it finished? Because there's no way in hell that I'll ever do that. Grinding is a sure fire way for me to get burned out on a game.

You can consider a game "finished" any time you want. You don't have to be like those crazy people who amass 99 of literally every kind of item in a JRPG before they consider themselves to have a "perfect game." Play a game until you don't want to play it anymore.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Apparently SMT Fire emblem has a motorcycle transforming horse that spits fire.

We're finally going to get a proper Final Fantasy 13 Sequel :allears:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Project Cars is dead
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/exclusive_project_cars_simply_too_much_for_wii_u_developer_now_waiting_on_new_nintendo_hardware

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

surprise

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

What will we do without the realistic racing game that looks like every other realistic racing game :( The WiiU is dead, bring on the NX so we can bring Project Cars HOME!!!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I like my Nintendo consoles have shorter life cycles than the xbox/PS4. 5 years feels like a good number.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
What's a good way to grab a WiiU compatible Wiimote and a Nunchuck? The official WiiU ones cost almost 100€ where I'm from and that's a bit much.

Was thinking I'd finally play Prime 3 and maybe Skyward Sword.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did you check nintendo's website? They sell refurbished ones cheap.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
when you have Mario Kart 8 why would you need project cars?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I don't think Nintendo of Europe offers refurbished stuff. At least I can't find any on the site.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm happy that the system has one less game now. The fewer the better, since video games are bad.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Surlaw posted:

I'm happy that the system has one less game now. The fewer the better, since video games are bad.

Unironically agreed

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

This console generation is going to last a decade. The PS4 and Bone are just now starting to get new games (as opposed to HD remakes) that are worthwhile, and even then half of those are still available on the last generation of consoles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Mario Kart 8 Soundtrack is now up on Club Nintendo Australia for the grand sum of 2,000 Stars. Two discs with 68 tracks is pretty good though.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Chieves posted:

This console generation is going to last a decade. The PS4 and Bone are just now starting to get new games (as opposed to HD remakes) that are worthwhile, and even then half of those are still available on the last generation of consoles.

That's what I keep thinking: people bitch and moan that the WiiU has so few games, but I can't name any games for the other two that really took off. Assassin's Creed: Unity was a joke, and everyone's mad at Titanfall for some reason I don't know. My understanding was that Sunset Overdrive was okay, but not worth running out and buying a console for.

Like, good poo poo is coming, and there's a few games that I'd like in the future for a PS4, but in the meantime, I have a loving stack of Wii U games, each one super awesome.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Bean posted:

That's what I keep thinking: people bitch and moan that the WiiU has so few games, but I can't name any games for the other two that really took off. Assassin's Creed: Unity was a joke, and everyone's mad at Titanfall for some reason I don't know. My understanding was that Sunset Overdrive was okay, but not worth running out and buying a console for.

Like, good poo poo is coming, and there's a few games that I'd like in the future for a PS4, but in the meantime, I have a loving stack of Wii U games, each one super awesome.

The Wii U is also the only console that has any amount of actual exclusives to speak of.

Do you have a PC and a Wii U (and maybe a 3DS)? Then you really probably don't need to buy a PS4/XBOX1 right now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
super mario maker.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nice we're doing this again already.

I just started Earthbound Beginnings and I'm liking it more than I expected to. The encounter rate's awful and it really feels like a proof of concept for the next game, but it's cute and funny. I was surprised to see a run button and diagonal movement on the world map in a NES game and liked that the first enemy was a lamp. My biggest beef is that I can barely hear the music, even with the game pad turned all the way up. The sound balance just feels totally busted.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Surlaw posted:

Nice we're doing this again already.

I just started Earthbound Beginnings and I'm liking it more than I expected to. The encounter rate's awful and it really feels like a proof of concept for the next game, but it's cute and funny. I was surprised to see a run button and diagonal movement on the world map in a NES game and liked that the first enemy was a lamp. My biggest beef is that I can barely hear the music, even with the game pad turned all the way up. The sound balance just feels totally busted.

That seems to be an issue with all NES games on the VC.

They're really quiet so you turn up your TV, then you hit the Home button or switch to doing something else and :wth:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That seems to be an issue with all NES games on the VC.

They're really quiet so you turn up your TV, then you hit the Home button or switch to doing something else and :wth:

The first release of the Wii was like this too, all of the menu/shop music and sound effects were like hyper loud compare to the volume the games would play at.

Shame as the sound is really good on the Virtual Console in general compared to running an emulator on your PC for a lot of the games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Neo Rasa posted:

Shame as the sound is really good on the Virtual Console in general compared to running an emulator on your PC for a lot of the games.

...Are you still using Nesticle and ZSNES?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I haven't used Nesticle since like 2003 but ZNES is perfectly fine as an SNES emulator even today so not really seeing the problem with it. Either way I like the real thing or the Wii Virtual Console more than them, SNES9x, MAME, Fusion, etc.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I haven't used Nesticle since like 2003 but ZNES is perfectly fine as an SNES emulator even today so not really seeing the problem with it.

It can't emulate Kirby's Dream Land 3 Properly, for one.

SNES9X is far superior.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Why would you talk about emulating something you can currently buy on the Wii U Shop Channel?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I know people who still swear by ZSNES to this day. They tend to play a lot of ROM hacks though which makes sense, more accurate emulators don't tend to work very well with modified ROMs.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I can't wait for the Project Cars 2+ years from now

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hydrocodone posted:

I think digital distribution does that (so Steam would certainly be the smoking gun). I buy most my console games on disc still and every PC game as a download. I would guess I play about 90% of the console games I buy (I'm removing PS+ games and games Club Nintendo gave me) and about 60% of the PC games.

edit: Actually, I bet it's sales. I own so much on PC I don't play because Steam and GoG and whoever sells them to me at $5 and under. I don't value them. Meanwhile I play every game I pay $40+ dollars for at least a little, and that's how I get most of my console games since Best Buy and Gamestop don't have sales on par with Steam.

It's definitely sales. When you can get a game for less than :10bux:, often less than 5, it's like why the gently caress not, if I never get to it it was the price of a goddamn sandwich.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Why would you talk about emulating something you can currently buy on the Wii U Shop Channel?

Its mostly just an example. Since the first time I tried playing that game I played it with ZSNES and couldn't barely get past the water areas since the water was opaque.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

rip project cars
let's remember the good old days

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

rip project cars
let's remember the good old days

Why is he talking like that

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
because he found out his game is rear end

arcsig
May 29, 2015

If you just like ZSNES for the nostalgic interface, there's actually a build that uses the ZSNES interface but with the more accurate BSNES core. If I remember correctly, it's called bZSNES. I don't know if it's still being supported but it's a neat novelty to have "ZSNES except not bad".

EDIT: My mistake, it's actually called ZMZ. bZSNES is something different, it's actually a version of BSNES that is intentionally designed to emulate the inaccuracies of ZSNES as a joke.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 21, 2015

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Supercar Gautier posted:

If the NX comes out Holiday 2017 then that gives the Wii U the same 5-year lifespan that the SNES, N64, and Gamecube had so I don't know what the big crime is??

It's because people are still waiting to buy this one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Found this:

Bad news for this guy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

It's because people are still waiting to buy this one.

why are they waiting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGames posted:

why are they waiting?

well clearly because its an investment and if they don't know what the future holds then maybe its not such a good idea

even though the wii u has a great selection that easily justifies its purchase but w/e

• Locked thread