Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's genuinely a really stupid design decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anyone else notice the ducks occasionally quacking like a human? I think they snuck that in this patch.

They've always done that. It's just kind of rare.

S.T.C.A. posted:

I'm not going to say there's more than one good throwing weapon, or that it's not a huge pain in the rear end to get, and obviously I geared very specifically for melee damage, but throwing is pretty legit.

That's not a throwing weapon, that's a melee weapon. Throwing weapons deal throwing damage, and are buffed by the desert fossil armor. Vampire knives are buffed by anything that buffs melee damage.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh...i thought i just hadn't figured out how to toggle that on or something

that's disappointing

what is this, diablo 1?

Can't let all weapons autoswing because of game balancing. By the way, have a yo-yo. :shepface:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cyberventurer posted:

Can't let all weapons autoswing because of game balancing. By the way, have a yo-yo. :shepface:

I like that the best yo-yo's just have an infinite duration so you can flail them around forever.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I recently started playing again (last time was in 1.0 probably) and finding an ice sword in a chest early was a lifesaver, autoswing and a projectile and it's basically as good as meteor weapons? sign me up

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

LightningSquid posted:

Anyone have any advice on killing Expert Plantera? I've got a decent arena and Chlorophyte armor but I can only get him to the second phase before he eats me alive.

The way I did it was as a ranged character wielding a minishark, with a pair of leaf wings. I had to dig myself out an enormous open area with a few levels of platforms all across it, and basically just flew in enormous circles around him as I held down the trigger. I seemed to be moving just fast enough around him that his seed attacks couldn't track me, and I somehow barely took any damage. And for that I am glad, because fuuuuck digging out another arena if I had failed.

Now I'm slamming my head against golem over and over again, this guy might be the one that finally makes me give up on expert mode. Can't make my own arena, and I just don't have the room to dodge his wall piercing lasers inside his little room or burn him down fast enough to outpace the loads of damage I take as a result.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Is it possible to make a switch open a trapdoor and then close it? It sounds really simple but I can't figure it out.

Edit:

LightningSquid posted:

Anyone have any advice on killing Expert Plantera? I've got a decent arena and Chlorophyte armor but I can only get him to the second phase before he eats me alive.

Flamethrower and the appropriate buffs did it for me.

watho fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 21, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Judgement posted:

The way I did it was as a ranged character wielding a minishark, with a pair of leaf wings. I had to dig myself out an enormous open area with a few levels of platforms all across it, and basically just flew in enormous circles around him as I held down the trigger. I seemed to be moving just fast enough around him that his seed attacks couldn't track me, and I somehow barely took any damage. And for that I am glad, because fuuuuck digging out another arena if I had failed.

Now I'm slamming my head against golem over and over again, this guy might be the one that finally makes me give up on expert mode. Can't make my own arena, and I just don't have the room to dodge his wall piercing lasers inside his little room or burn him down fast enough to outpace the loads of damage I take as a result.

Goto strat for basically every boss other than EoW/Destroyer - potion up, including endurance, swiftness, gravity, and featherfall. Wings and ninja poo poo for dash. Make sure all traps are dug out or snipped or bricked off. Ranged weapon of choice, and fall up to dodge. Then fall down to dodge. Featherfall to fall faster when necessary. For Golem, flatten the floor and ceiling with extra bricks if hid room is too hilly. Takes a little getting used to the movement, but he'll never have time to draw a bead on you.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Judgement posted:

Apparently you can pick up the altar without a picksaw if you use actuators on the bricks under it. Summoning him on the surface makes him way easier, you can just outpace him with wings.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still haven't even gotten to first boss, and I must say I'm having a *lot* of fun just mining. Picking out walls to drain undersea lakes, swimming for air and making it in the nick of time, building platforms, opening loving pyramids and fighting off corrupt worms really gets me inner indiana jones going :derp:

Are platinum or silver picks better than iron ones? Still seems like there are some things I can't dig out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
they are but for some things you'll need at least demonite from killing first few bosses.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The metal progression for picks goes: copper/tin >> iron/lead >> silver/tungsten >> gold/platinum, with each tier being better than the last. Gold or plat can dig up crimson/ebonstone blocks, which I believe the others cant. There's tiers beyond that of course, but you have to beat a boss or two before you can access them.

Alternatively, if you don't mind fishing, you can make some nightcrawlers and try and fish up a reaver shark from the ocean, which mines pretty much everything for the first half of the game. But it's by no means necessary.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The correct way to mine is to harvest penguins to buy dynamite.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cicadalek posted:

Gold or plat can dig up crimson/ebonstone blocks, which I believe the others cant. There's tiers beyond that of course, but you have to beat a boss or two before you can access them.

Crimstone and Ebonstone, no, Crimtane and Demonite ore, yes. Tungsten picks can also dig those I think, or maybe just meteorite. In any case you get a much better source of Crimtane and Demonite by killing the first boss than by looking for them underground, any veins are rare as hell and always only contain at most 3 or 4 blocks.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

There's a specific throwing weapon type for all those javelins, shurikens, bones, grenades, and molotovs out there. Fossil armor from the antlion desert gives you +20% throwing damage/projectile speed and a 50% chance not to use thrown items. The ninja armor from the slime king does the same thing with less chance to not consume ammo.

Whoa, that sucks. Totally forgot about shuriken and throwing knives and stuff. Fossil armor is a neat idea. Too bad slapping some beetle husks on it to make it a lategame version isn't possible, especially with a super kludge fix like "+125 thrown damage per projectile" or something.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So lunatic cultist is still kicking my rear end, even with a possessed hatchet, cursed flame flask, and staying in the dungeon entrance. Even if I hit him during the summoning animation, he still summons the dragon, which seems to be the bulk of my problem. Why the gently caress is he still summoning it after I hit him?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Invisible Ted posted:

So lunatic cultist is still kicking my rear end, even with a possessed hatchet, cursed flame flask, and staying in the dungeon entrance. Even if I hit him during the summoning animation, he still summons the dragon, which seems to be the bulk of my problem. Why the gently caress is he still summoning it after I hit him?

Only hit him, not a clone.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I grind out achievements and trophies and even I'm not masochistic enough to try soloing Expert bosses. The regular ones are enough of a shitshow. I finally beat the Cultist through the use of a Frost Turtle Shell and the Worm Scarf. I basically just sat in place and Yo-Yo'd him to death.

I want to see a Hardcore Expert Solo run of this game. I'm not sure it's possible. Like I beat one tower and I could make a little dragon dude and a little... donut thing. And they're both neat. I beat another and I made what seems to just be Earthworm Jim's gun for how inaccurate the spray is. But I died a whole bunch! Especially on the fire tower! Because that invincible worm monster bites your ghoulies any time you're not on the ground, which you can't be because there are enemies that phase through solid terrain!

And then the Moon Lord spawned. I thought I was doing okay, given I had no idea what the hell was happening. I beat the eyes in both hands and almost got the one in his head down. But I saw the chest was named, so I guess that opens up once all three eyes are killed? Found out about the warp-chasing feature that comes built-in standard on the fucker.

If you don't have a runway that spans the entire world, your campfires get shut down, and you can't even warp to your Nurse to top off, the gently caress are you supposed to do to stay alive? And if I'm reading it right, I have to go through the Cultist -> Towers process to re-fight him? And the only way to get around that is an item that costs 20 of each tower drop that you'll want to use for stuff that actually gives you a slight edge?

Terraria 1.3: Take a Deep Breath and Wait For TEdit to Update.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
for pre-hardmode I found it's best to just go from cactus into demonite pickaxe as you should just be using all the bombs you get to mine ore stacks anyways. You really don't need any of the metal ore ones unless you plan to build your hell-evator early on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Killed solar and nebula pillars this morning and fought the moon lord!

The moon lord won.

I was close! Phantasm + stardust dragon had him down to just a little sliver of health. I didn't have many buffs on at the time because I had just charged into nebula with a possessed hatchet for the fun of it without thinking too hard about things, and if I had had iron skin or regeneration I would've won.

So now I have a general strategy for each pillar and also I'll be able to build some infastructure before starting this up again. The pillars spawn the same order and general position when you resummon them, right? Also I'll have fragment weapons for dealing with poo poo this time.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Acne Rain posted:

Killed solar and nebula pillars this morning and fought the moon lord!

The moon lord won.

I was close! Phantasm + stardust dragon had him down to just a little sliver of health. I didn't have many buffs on at the time because I had just charged into nebula with a possessed hatchet for the fun of it without thinking too hard about things, and if I had had iron skin or regeneration I would've won.

So now I have a general strategy for each pillar and also I'll be able to build some infastructure before starting this up again. The pillars spawn the same order and general position when you resummon them, right? Also I'll have fragment weapons for dealing with poo poo this time.

Pillars are randomized in their locations but the general positions for the four of them are the same. Kill them a few times and you can put banners from all four to the spawns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ChibiSoma posted:

I want to see a Hardcore Expert Solo run of this game. I'm not sure it's possible.

Well you'd be wrong because a guy has already done it. Or at least claimed too. I assume it just boils down too lots of fishing in-between optimal boss squashing strategies.

VVV Yes. Also mix your bombs with gel to make sticky bombs. They are much better for controlled demolition.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 21, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, so, just to be clear - I CAN just bomb things that my pickaxe won't bite and get usable ore?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Jusupov posted:

Only hit him, not a clone.

Ok, that's probably what's going on. I'm definitely hitting the clones first.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tias posted:

Okay, so, just to be clear - I CAN just bomb things that my pickaxe won't bite and get usable ore?

Yes. Not everything is bombable I think, but most things you'll care about enough to bomb (like meteorite) are. Just remember to make sticky explosives for the job.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can also make sticky dynamite, and five of those in the right places can take out an entire meteor.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you'd be wrong because a guy has already done it. Or at least claimed too. I assume it just boils down too lots of fishing in-between optimal boss squashing strategies.

VVV Yes. Also mix your bombs with gel to make sticky bombs. They are much better for controlled demolition.

This guy also did it in a few runs and wasn't insufferable (video 99 is the last boss). Didn't really use fishing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Katsuma posted:

Are we still posting base pictures? I wanted to share something I've been working on. It's a bit of a work in progress.

I still need to add all the floors abover the railway, plus a basement, plus a whole bunch of furnishings in what's already there, but so far I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

This needs more love, because god drat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best part about blast mining is it's completely lossless. 100% of the blocks your bombs destroy will be dropped to the ground as items to collect.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Also mix your bombs with pink gel to make bouncy bombs. They are much better for "fun".

FTFY

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So the Dungeon Guardian has a drop now? How are you supposed to kill it?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dr. Fetus posted:

I killed him once back when the turtle armor did enough damage back to him. Maybe you could run away on train tracks and have a pet or lava hit it. Have to enclose the tracks to have him slow down.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's had a drop since 1.2

Never killed it though

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Can't believe I got stuck on the trifold map out of every dumb ingredient, but I got it after like 600 light mummies. I had to artificially hallowify a small desert and use a couple battle potions, but it didn't take that long at all and I have my bitchin' ankh shield now. The mechanical glove makes the Fetid Baghnakhs swing so blindingly fast it's like a mirage.

I ended up with like 20 blessed apples and murdered thousands of fairies. I'm assuming pixie dust is the cocaine of Terraria so now I should be rich.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
quick question: Corruption spread is supposed to slow the gently caress down after killing hardmode bosses, right? Well I've killed everyone except the drat moon lord, and no matter how much I spray down various areas the corruption in them eventually grows back.

Playing Corruption Cleanup Crew sounds like the least interesting thing I could be doing in this game, is there some easy way of making sure at least some key spots don't grow corrupty or is there some simple way of just making things not spread with a mod or a config file edit or something, or do I have to get it done thoroughly and get it done right by hand.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Acne Rain posted:

quick question: Corruption spread is supposed to slow the gently caress down after killing hardmode bosses, right? Well I've killed everyone except the drat moon lord, and no matter how much I spray down various areas the corruption in them eventually grows back.

Playing Corruption Cleanup Crew sounds like the least interesting thing I could be doing in this game, is there some easy way of making sure at least some key spots don't grow corrupty or is there some simple way of just making things not spread with a mod or a config file edit or something, or do I have to get it done thoroughly and get it done right by hand.

Only plantera kill will slow it down now. Plant some clorophyte near it to slow it down?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Goomba stomp him to death with the slime mount.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

yup that's a blood moon alright

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

I want to see a Hardcore Expert Solo run of this game. I'm not sure it's possible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cwta0/tornis_the_russian_hardcore_gamerstreamer_just/

Took 8 tries apparently. The final lunar events are here (http://www.twitch.tv/tornis/v/7337060)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Cosmic Car Mount flies faster than him so you can just fly around the map shooting him. It takes like 10 minutes even with optimal gear though(by optimal gear I mean SDMG+A ton of crit+A bunch of Stardust Cells).