Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Laserface posted:

my personal favorite is fixie rider who sit at the lights maintaining balance on the pedals while their calf muscles try not to self-immolate from the load. it looks hilarious and accomplishes nothing.

They might have clip in pedals and don't want to unclip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coredump posted:

That doesn't really help their case, bolting your feet to a mechanism with no freewheel capability seems like a recipe for being horribly maimed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Laserface posted:

my personal favorite is fixie rider who sit at the lights maintaining balance on the pedals while their calf muscles try not to self-immolate from the load. it looks hilarious and accomplishes nothing.

I don't ride a fixie, but I will track stand at short lights. It makes sense, because you generally maintain some forward momentium, which is easier to overcome. It is easier to start from a trackstand than from a foot on the ground.
Also, it looks way harder than it actually is, I can do it with a lightly loaded touring bike as long as the weight is balanced.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Could fly out the way quickly, or slowly toddle along to the sides of the road.

Fuckin birds man.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Coredump posted:

Clipless pedals (called that because they don't have the old style straps that you can't get out of easily) combined with a fixie? I can see people being that stupid, but, wow.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Ludicro posted:

Could fly out the way quickly, or slowly toddle along to the sides of the road.

Fuckin birds man.

Keep driving normally until they fly (or die).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
They're reneging on the deal!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
How did you Mobius guys attach yours to the car? Mine came with a black sleeve thing and some velcro but I'm a little concerned about vibrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

two_beer_bishes posted:

How did you Mobius guys attach yours to the car? Mine came with a black sleeve thing and some velcro but I'm a little concerned about vibrations.

Rubber sucker on the windscreen. No issues with vibrations.

When I finally get round to mounting it permanently, I'll probably get the mount with 3M tape.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

spog posted:

Rubber sucker on the windscreen. No issues with vibrations.

When I finally get round to mounting it permanently, I'll probably get the mount with 3M tape.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!
Mine is mounted via a bracket attached to my rear view and the only issue with vibration is my Jeep's ongoing attempts to kill me. If your car doesn't vibrate above 55, it'll work fine.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I used the adhesive mount for my Mobius. It gets it a bit closer to the windshield than the suction mount.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I use something like this. It was like five bucks on eBay.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
For my Mobius I use a Scosche magnetic mount. Makes it really easy to pull out of the car.

Edit: this mount

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 15, 2015

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
<foul language, fair warning>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWu75Kt2bA

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
[arresteddevelopment]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7tPhTooXuk
"I've made a huge mistake..."

[/arresteddevelopment]

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

[arresteddevelopment]

[/arresteddevelopment]

Perfect soundtrack.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I crossposted in the Schadenfreude thread and holy poo poo goons hate A Silver Mt. Zion :stare:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

I crossposted in the Schadenfreude thread and holy poo poo goons hate A Silver Mt. Zion :stare:
Is that the lovely music that was playing, then?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Krakkles posted:

Is that the lovely music that was playing, then?

I just watched that and my dog started whining.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:sbahj: Next time I have anything to show I'm gonna add in a post rock soundtrack just for SA :mad:

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

xzzy posted:

That doesn't really help their case, bolting your feet to a mechanism with no freewheel capability seems like a recipe for being horribly maimed.

As compared to your feet coming off of the pedals while the cranks continue to rotate, breaking both of your ankles even before you crash?

It's a bit like saying being strapped in a car while is crashes is a recipe for being maimed - normal people call them seatbelts.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Takes No Damage posted:

[arresteddevelopment]

[/arresteddevelopment]

It took me a re-watch to see where the mistake was. Seems that 11ft8 has a cousin!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Almost rear-ended a guy on the way home today, even though I was doing >30mph and 5-6 car lengths back. My eyes were on him the whole time, but panicked for a split second when I noticed I was gaining on him very quickly. I didn't even notice he'd come to a stop.

His brake lights are full-on when I pull up to him, and they blink off at about :19. The next little while is stop and go as I watch his back end like a hawk. From the looks of his tail gate, I'm not the first person with whom he's almost caused a wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5iVwzeahA8

NoWake fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 21, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

NoWake posted:

Almost rear-ended a guy on the way home today, even though I was doing >30mph and 5-6 car lengths back. My eyes were on him the whole time, but panicked for a split second when I noticed I was gaining on him very quickly. I didn't even notice he'd come to a stop.

His brake lights are full-on when I pull up to him, and they blink off at about :19. The next little while is stop and go as I watch his back end like a hawk. From the looks of his tail gate, I'm not the first person with whom he's almost caused a wreck.

Those taillights are lovely but the worst is the new trend of people driving with both feet in automatics. They rest their left foot on the brake pedal all the time, and in most modern vehicles the pedal is sensitive enough to light up the brake lights all the time. Years ago I thought I was seeing a rash of cars with electrical problems until I noticed it happening to a friends car and put it together watching them drive. I've stopped trusting brake lights altogether because of this,

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NoWake posted:

Jesus, are those aftermarket?
I really do think that it should be a requirement that brake lights light up a different part of the taillight, as I do have this poo poo on some cars when the CHMSL is burned out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Been following the thread for a while off and on, really great videos posted throughout. Was wondering if the camera model in the OP is still a good choice, or if y'all have a more recent one that's recommended.

8ender posted:

Those taillights are lovely but the worst is the new trend of people driving with both feet in automatics. They rest their left foot on the brake pedal all the time, and in most modern vehicles the pedal is sensitive enough to light up the brake lights all the time. Years ago I thought I was seeing a rash of cars with electrical problems until I noticed it happening to a friends car and put it together watching them drive. I've stopped trusting brake lights altogether because of this,

This and what seems like more people running around with their hi beams on at whatever time of the day. There's always been people that'll turn on their hi beams when they notice a headlight is out, since they think it's the "smart" thing to do so they don't get a ticket, but I swear I'm seeing more people on average just cruising around with them on. Well, that and a ton of people with no lights on at night since newer cars have DRLs and a gauge cluster that's always lit.

But it's also Texas and we don't check headlight adjustment in the annual vehicle inspection.

edit

Takes No Damage posted:

[arresteddevelopment]

[/arresteddevelopment]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mUEUwdhsn4&t=248s

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 21, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe manufacturers are using super cheap springs in their toggles that make it easier to inadvertently turn on the high beams?

I've noticed on a couple newer cars I've been in lately the throw distance can be super small too.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Sir Tonk posted:

Been following the thread for a while off and on, really great videos posted throughout. Was wondering if the camera model in the OP is still a good choice, or if y'all have a more recent one that's recommended.

The G1W is ok if you want a camera on the cheap but expect to have to replace them after a year or so, I've gone through 2 so far (though my current one has been chugging along for about 2 years with no issues). Definitely make sure to get one with a capacitor instead of a battery, the batteries have been known to explode if your car gets too hot, even in the northern US.

The Mobius definitely seems to be the way to go if you ware willing to spend just a few more bucks, I don't think anyone in here that has one has complained about it.

There's also the Mini series (0801, 0803, 0805, 0806) which seem to be alright but IMO aren't any better than the Mobius and seem to have more firmware issues.

The general advice is if you are looking to get into dashcams for as little as possible then get the G1W (Make sure you get it from BlueSkySea, EPRANCE, or BlackBox), if you're willing to spend just a bit more, get a Mobius with capacitor and possibly a "C" lens (wide angle). If you have no problem spending a lot more money theres a decent list of excellent cameras.
  • A118
  • K1S
  • X1
  • Panorama S

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 21, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69flEwKTCHI

Got to almost take my nose off and illegally undertake another car to save that 0.1s to the next turn!

The loud beep was me hitting the manual protect video function.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Monoprice just put out a couple of dashcams:

GoSafe 118 720p

GoSafe 520 2560x1080

Interesting to see what reviews look like.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

freelop posted:

Got to almost take my nose off and illegally undertake another car to save that 0.1s to the next turn!

How about a Porsche ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99pWDPe16vw

BMWs ? Got them too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWN4b8iDGjI

Spatule fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 21, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Scruff McGruff posted:

The G1W is ok if you want a camera on the cheap but expect to have to replace them after a year or so, I've gone through 2 so far (though my current one has been chugging along for about 2 years with no issues). Definitely make sure to get one with a capacitor instead of a battery, the batteries have been known to explode if your car gets too hot, even in the northern US.

The Mobius definitely seems to be the way to go if you ware willing to spend just a few more bucks, I don't think anyone in here that has one has complained about it.

There's also the Mini series (0801, 0803, 0805, 0806) which seem to be alright but IMO aren't any better than the Mobius and seem to have more firmware issues.

The general advice is if you are looking to get into dashcams for as little as possible then get the G1W (Make sure you get it from BlueSkySea, EPRANCE, or BlackBox), if you're willing to spend just a bit more, get a Mobius with capacitor and possibly a "C" lens (wide angle). If you have no problem spending a lot more money theres a decent list of excellent cameras.
  • A118
  • K1S
  • X1
  • Panorama S

Killer, thanks. I watched a bunch of techmoan's videos and got a Mini 806 for one of my cars to try it out. Probably going to try one of the nicer ones you listed at the end for the Mercury.

Man, I thought American drivers were bad.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 21, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

freelop posted:

Asked my cousin who works in car insurance about what would have happened in that instance if I had hit the BMW , didn't have the cam and he fought the claim.

9/10 times he would have won based on the damage being in the back of his car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NoWake posted:

I thought of you today while following an old Mitsubishi Eclipse in stop and go traffic on I-10. At some point the Mitsu had been rear-ended, not much sheet metal damage, but both tail lights had been broken. The owner had fixed this in the only sensible way, with multiple layers of red duct tape. The brake lights were about as visible as you would imagine with this fantastic repair method in place. The left one was barely visible if you squinted, the right one I don't think was actually working at all. To top it off, the center brake light, which actually did work, was behind the worlds darkest window tint, because it was too hard to tint around I guess?

Too boring to bother pulling dash-cam footage, but it made me think of this thread and the 'no brake lights' video.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

IOwnCalculus posted:

Monoprice just put out a couple of dashcams:

GoSafe 118 720p

GoSafe 520 2560x1080

Interesting to see what reviews look like.

I hope these are good cams. Even though they're still some random chinese camera I'd trust Monoprice to have some sort of quality control over a random amazon seller.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Just received my Mini 0805 from Gearbest. I'm still waiting on my circular polarizer, I'll have to figure out a mounting solution. 2560x1080 looks great, the screen is helpful getting it set up and the GPS mount means I can have a location and speed stamp on the videos.

I thought about getting the 0806 but the teething issues scared me off. Plus it's $65 USD on Gearbest right now vs $119 for the 0806.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_113549.html

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

oxbrain posted:

I use something like this. It was like five bucks on eBay.

This is what I ended up getting. Got it all wired up today, mounted the camera behind the rear view mirror, went to plus the power cable in and the goddamn mirror is blocking it! I had to use my interior panel pry tools to pry the glued mount from the glass then I used the velcro the camera came with to attach the mount to the glass. I'm happy and done though, except I just need to figure out a way to keep the wires in place along the side and the headliner!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

This is what I ended up getting. Got it all wired up today, mounted the camera behind the rear view mirror, went to plus the power cable in and the goddamn mirror is blocking it! I had to use my interior panel pry tools to pry the glued mount from the glass then I used the velcro the camera came with to attach the mount to the glass. I'm happy and done though, except I just need to figure out a way to keep the wires in place along the side and the headliner!
Tuck them behind the headliner and side trim. The pry tool you mentioned is perfect for this, and it's easier than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This TaoTronics TT-CD04 is on sale for $40 today with coupon. This is impulse buy territory, but I'd rather spend more on something proven. Any thoughts?