Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Colgate posted:

My only big hangup on Perkus Maximus is the "flavorful" perk descriptions that have very little actual information, and you're expected to use the Readme to find out what the perks actually do. I like immersion as next as the next person, but that's just getting into annoying territory.

Well, there's this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59854/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Can anyone weigh-in on the Warzones 2015 mod?

I like the sound of it, but I'd like to know how well it runs, how fun it is, and if you actually get a 'warzone' feeling from it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

WarLocke posted:

The Nexus page for SPERG says it requires an uncapper - how does that work with the feature in Dragonborn where you can 'reset' a skill to keep levelling?

Imperious seems like a pretty cool racial abilities overhaul, but I don't know what I'd want to use for a perk one. SPERG looks neat, but that requirement... And there was another one, Perkus Maximus? I checked out as soon as I read that it needs its own .exe running in the background...

SPERG only uses the uncapper to modify skill increase rates and how often you get perks, so that's fine.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Emong posted:

SPERG only uses the uncapper to modify skill increase rates and how often you get perks, so that's fine.

So it can be run without the uncapper if you're not changing that?

Kind of moot now, Perkus Maximus looks awesome and I am going to try that I think.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For gameplay/perks, here is what I am using - I've been really happy with this setup which took a bit of tuning to get "just right", but now I'm happy with it:

SPERG - make sure to correctly install if MO chokes on the install package. Move the stuff from the SPERG folder up another folder in the mod, or just install manually in MO.

Stealth Skills Rebalanced - SPERGified - deeper stealth mechanics with SPERG support

Common Clothes/Immersive Armors/Brigandage/Cloaks (CCO)/bandolier (CCO)/etc. - for armor/NPC variety

Religious Amulets Upgraded - RAU - goon mod that was posted here, good stuff since it makes religion stuff beneficial and in line with SPERG

Thunderchild - shouts

YOT - Your Own Thoughts - immersion/first person messages

Morrowloot Ultimate - and almost all the recommended mods with it - deleveling/items/leveled lists. Use along side the Scarcity 8x plugins.

More Dragon Loot - makes dragons have better loot and goes good with

Deadly Dragons + Dragon Combat Overhaul - dragons, makes fights epic and rewarding

Wintermyst - Enchantment mod that makes for great variety of loot

Passive Weapon Enchantment Recharging - tweaked to have weapons regain charge over 5+ in game days

Morrowind Skooma Circa 3rdEra 427-429 - essential

Skyrim Immersive Creatures (Purist version) - more stuff to kill

Disparity/Height Adjusted Races with True Giants/Diverse Guards Skyrim - Race/Class/Racials overhaul

Immersive Patrols - more lively skyrim, lightweight.

Action Combat/Deadly Combat/Combat Behavior Improved/Tk Dodge/Melee Weapon Range Fix/Dual Wield Parrying/Dual Wield Improved Animation/Manual Crossbow Reload/Violense - combat improvement package

Better Vampires/Moonlight Tales - Werewolf and Werebear Essentials - for those parts of the game

Harvest Overhaul/Alchemy Requires Bottles/Chasing the Dragon - Toxicity and Addiction - together with the Morrowloot Ultimate potions overhaul, makes alchemy far more interesting.

Immersive Citizens AI /Master of Disguise/Immersive Detection of NPC in the Dark/NPC Smarter Water AI - makes AI a bit more intelligent.

I've basically stripped my game down to these + Skyrim Mod Combiner and have had very good success with stability and content/visuals thus far. I've also had this working with Hunterborn/Frostfall, if you're into the whole eat drink poop and survive thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I'm guessing that Perkus Maximus doesn't play well with Smithing Perks Overhaul since they both modify the same perks - but does anyone know if it'll poo poo the bed paired with Complete Crafting Overhaul?

Also, has anyone tried Argonian Raptor Feet?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

So I'm guessing that Perkus Maximus doesn't play well with Smithing Perks Overhaul since they both modify the same perks - but does anyone know if it'll poo poo the bed paired with Complete Crafting Overhaul?

Also, has anyone tried Argonian Raptor Feet?

Can confirm PerMa works nicely with CCO, like pretty much every major mod these days theres a compatibility patch for the two. Look through here and pick out what you'll need:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59257/

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Decided I no longer want to enjoy life and started upon the quest to begin anew, using Mod Organizer - so that I can use the profiles feature for different saves.

As such, what are people's favorite overhauls/ big change mods that now aren't so scary to install?

e: is the nexus being weird as poo poo for anyone else? Seems actually connecting to the site is extremely hit and miss at the moment.

Nymix fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 21, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Nymix posted:

e: is the nexus being weird as poo poo for anyone else? Seems actually connecting to the site is extremely hit and miss at the moment.

I just noticed it about 10 minutes ago, I can't load any nexus pages. Definitely something screwy.

Also holy poo poo I have installed SO MANY mods, what is wrong with me

Actually since I can't install anything else right now, I'll ask here: Mod organizer is acting screwy with some quest-based mods (Better Quest Text, Alternate Start, Cutting Room Floor, Paarthunax Dilemma) - it keeps telling me to re-order them to eliminate conflicts (even though AFAICT there are no conflicts) but as soon as I do it wants me to re-order them in a different way, and then again, and again, etc. WTF?

Also sometimes the hoops you have to jump through for compatibility patches are nuts. The instructions for getting Improved Closed-Face Helmets to play well with aMidianBorn and something else I forget were so vague I just said gently caress it and dropped ICH altogether.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2015

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

WarLocke posted:

I just noticed it about 10 minutes ago, I can't load any nexus pages. Definitely something screwy.

How many we talking here? Some people in this thread have library sized mod-directories, I can guarantee it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

WarLocke posted:

Actually since I can't install anything else right now, I'll ask here: Mod organizer is acting screwy with some quest-based mods (Better Quest Text, Alternate Start, Cutting Room Floor, Paarthunax Dilemma) - it keeps telling me to re-order them to eliminate conflicts (even though AFAICT there are no conflicts) but as soon as I do it wants me to re-order them in a different way, and then again, and again, etc. WTF?

Also sometimes the hoops you have to jump through for compatibility patches are nuts. The instructions for getting Improved Closed-Face Helmets to play well with aMidianBorn and something else I forget were so vague I just said gently caress it and dropped ICH altogether.

Turn off the loot function inside MO and just get real LOOT and add the .exe Like you do WB or TESVEdit. The built in one seems to be real hosed up.
It's in settings, in the plugins section, under basic configuration or something.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 21, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nymix posted:

How many we talking here? Some people in this thread have library sized mod-directories, I can guarantee it.

230 plugins, and uncounted numbers of other SKSE widgets, retextures, and tweaks running under the surface :shepicide:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Jesu Christo :stare:

Nymix posted:

I nuked my install yesterday and started over, haven't touched texture stuff yet, just actual gameplay changes and I'm up to 60+. I have no idea how long the list can get before Skyrim just shits itself but I imagine I'm not actually near it. I just realized earlier that I've basically been doing nothing but downloading mods for a game for the last day or so.

Mazz posted:

Turn off the loot function inside MO and just get real LOOT and add the .exe. The built in one seems to be real hosed up.
It's in settings, in the plugins section, under basic configuration or something.

Yeah I have LOOT set up to run in MO and it seems to work fine. It's the little warning triangle thing in the upper right corner of MO (that deals with the left-pane mod load order, not the right-pane .esp order) that keeps telling me to re-arrange these particular mods (not the .esps for them, LOOT sorts those fine) - I don't know what the gently caress.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 21, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah don't pay attention to what MO says with that triangle. In fact, disable the conflict detection in the MO settings, it generally is not correct.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah, generally trust LOOT - between that and merged patches and just getting to know your build through gameplay, over time you'll be able to suss out the ideal ordering of things.

Until you hit mysterious problems like my innkeepers missing their audio for when you rent a room, and just that line, across all innkeepers, or Uthgerd, and only Uthgerd, not giving you her brawl choice in dialogue. :iiam:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I've never seen it get caught in a loop like this, but just for background (since it looks like others have given practical advice), what's happening here is that MO is trying to make sure that the order in which it loads mod assets (shown in the left list, and equivalent to installation order if not using a manager) is the same as the order in which it loads plugins (the right panel), for situations in which that might matter. To the best of my understanding this is what happens: Let's say that mods A and B have plugins (A.esp and B.esp) and assets that they both touch (somescript.pex). If A.esp comes before B.esp in the load order, B.esp "wins" and its changes are used by the game. However, if mod B comes before mod A in the asset order, then mod A's version of somescript.pex will be loaded. This means that B.esp will end up calling the version of somescript.pex that mod A adds, which may have unexpected and bad results.

For some reason I have noticed that the mods that require this most often are Arthmoor's (i.e., all the ones you list besides Better Quest Text are his), probably because he shares assets between his mods and expects them to prioritize over each other in a certain way. Although, perhaps not coincidentally, the guy hates the poo poo out of MO, raged at its ability to load plugins and assets independently (perhaps rightly so), and thinks that STEP is the "marketing arm of Mod Organizer" because STEP instructions assume using MO even though you could follow them with any mod management tool. I feel like I probably rag on this guy way too much in this thread, and he is legit good at what he does and I use plenty of his mods, but it's hard to avoid, he's just so crazy about some things.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nymix posted:

A cautionary tale, this is your free time on modding Skyrim.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Hah, gonna crib some of those mods from that image. Where are the optimized DLC textures from?

GunnerJ posted:

For some reason I have noticed that the mods that require this most often are Arthmoor's (i.e., all the ones you list besides Better Quest Text are his), probably because he shares assets between his mods and expects them to prioritize over each other in a certain way. Although, perhaps not coincidentally, the guy hates the poo poo out of MO, raged at its ability to load plugins and assets independently (perhaps rightly so), and thinks that STEP is the "marketing arm of Mod Organizer" because STEP instructions assume using MO even though you could follow them with any mod management tool. I feel like I probably rag on this guy way too much in this thread, and he is legit good at what he does and I use plenty of his mods, but it's hard to avoid, he's just so crazy about some things.

What's that dude's problem? I stopped using the STEP guide because it was telling me to install a zillion different tiny texture replacers (some of which I've already found more consolidated/higher quality replacements for) but having a simple list for people who don't know what the gently caress to get started modding with seems like a no-brainer good idea to me.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 21, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

WarLocke posted:

^^^: Hah, gonna crib some of those mods from that image. Where are the optimized DLC textures from?

What's that dude's problem? I stopped using the STEP guide because it was telling me to install a zillion different tiny texture replacers (some of which I've already found more consolidated/higher quality replacements for) but having a simple list for people who don't know what the gently caress to get started modding with seems like a no-brainer good idea to me.

I know I advertise for skyrim revisited a lot, but really everyone starting or restarting the modding process should look at his first couple sections where he covers all the tools/initial files. He covers the optimized textures, how to clean up the .esm, everything anyone should do before starting down the hellish downward spiral of skyrim modding.

From that point onward you can ignore his mod lists, but you'll be set up with a clean and prepped install to play with.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 21, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

howd you get those rad rear end icons on the left pane

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Gyshall posted:

howd you get those rad rear end icons on the left pane

Those showed up in the last update of MO that I installed; how accurately they correspond to what a mod includes seems to be a crap shoot, though

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is a bit specific, but is there any mod that adds something like how Red Dead Redemption does bounties, where you can capture enemies and bring them in alive? I just want more options than get location - kill everyone - repeat.

Also since I'm starting a new mod list, are there any mods that add more properties like the Hearthstone ones? I love that feeling of building a place from the ground up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Optimizing the Bethesda textures is something I had to do on my own: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt/Skyrim

If you're curious, this is the modlist for my "base" setup: http://modwat.ch/littleraskol#/modlist

What I mean by "base setup" is the list of mods I don't want to change much or do without that are relatively simple general improvements (for the most part). I will then add on stuff like big overhauls or quests or new locations on top of that in a new MO profile, so that if they suck, I haven't wasted a ton of time making a load order work because I got all the "base" mods working together. Or at least, that is the theory. What's hanging me up right now is that nothing seems to really deal with non-conflicting overrides very well. I was excited when I learned that the new Wyre Bash beta absorbed a ton of patches but then when I looked in TES5Edit, I saw that a lot of times it really didn't, it ignored the fixes a patch made, requiring me to make a post-bashed-patch "fix" plugin. Making a smashed patch is pretty good right now but still for some reason ports over way too many ITM records. So there's a ton of manual tedium that I want to avoid, and part of me figures waiting for someone to update these utilities so they really work is a better way of spending my time than manually resolving conflicts in TES5Edit all day. But by then Fallout 4 may be out and soooooo

Dunno what your level of descent into modding is, but if you don't know what any of this means, don't worry... you will. :unsmigghh:

quote:

The bottom line is that sometimes people in the ~modding community~ get a huge stick up their asses about things. The guy who makes the merge plugins and smashed patch scripts, for example, hates LOOT with a passion and will just rant at it when people mention it in posts about trying to resolve issues with the scripts. Arthmoor, similarly, hates MO and finds it really suspicious that a guide for beginners in modding only provides instructions for what they consider the best management tool (instead of doing the sensible thing and providing several sets of parallel instructions for all the different managers thus tripling the workload and increasing complexity I guess) and because he thinks MO sucks, anyone who favors it must be in the pocket of Big Mod Management (thanks obama).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Danaru posted:

This is a bit specific, but is there any mod that adds something like how Red Dead Redemption does bounties, where you can capture enemies and bring them in alive? I just want more options than get location - kill everyone - repeat.

This may be what you're looking for: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29448/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Speaking of Mod Organizer, the nexus page says you're suppose to start it THROUGH the Skyrim Script Extender? Is that correct, or am I reading something wrong there?

GunnerJ posted:

That doesn't make any damned sense so I think you're misinterpreting something.

Okay, maybe it's just referring to trying to use MO with Oblivion.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 21, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That doesn't make any damned sense so I think you're misinterpreting something.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

The bottom line is that sometimes people in the ~modding community~ get a huge stick up their asses about things. The guy who makes the merge plugins and smashed patch scripts, for example, hates LOOT with a passion and will just rant at it when people mention it in posts about trying to resolve issues with the scripts. Arthmoor, similarly, hates MO and finds it really suspicious that a guide for beginners in modding only provides instructions for what they consider the best management tool (instead of doing the sensible thing and providing several sets of parallel instructions for all the different managers thus tripling the workload and increasing complexity I guess) and because he thinks MO sucks, anyone who favors it must be in the pocket of Big Mod Management (thanks obama).

I skimmed the first page of the thread you linked, and the impression I got was the "Man shouts at cloud" thing from the Simpsons.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Speaking of Mod Organizer, the nexus page says you're suppose to start it THROUGH the Skyrim Script Extender? Is that correct, or am I reading something wrong there?

Are you sure it didn't mean to run SKSE through/from MO? That's how I've been launching my installation.

GunnerJ posted:

If you're curious, this is the modlist for my "base" setup: http://modwat.ch/littleraskol#/modlist

Oh wow, I think I might just drop everything and go down that list now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a single modding scene where people DON'T get ultra salty about inane bullshit?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Oh wow, I think I might just drop everything and go down that list now.

You have my apologies in advance.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Danaru posted:

Is there a single modding scene where people DON'T get ultra salty about inane bullshit?

No.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

We interrupt this discussion of people who suck to bring you this important message!

Blood and Silver - Cidhna Mine Expanded has received a pretty major update!

Lots of little fixes and tweaks, improvements both functional and aesthetic, and more interesting stuff to find around the place.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm thinking if starting a mage character, but haven't really messed with magic at all. Is stock magic a-ok, or is there a must have mod?

If there is a good mod, what's the one that's the most simple/similar to vanilla? I generally like to tweak rather than get into huge overhauls. OP is also okay, I'm not a stickler for maintaining a challenge.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm thinking if starting a mage character, but haven't really messed with magic at all. Is stock magic a-ok, or is there a must have mod?

If there is a good mod, what's the one that's the most simple/similar to vanilla? I generally like to tweak rather than get into huge overhauls. OP is also okay, I'm not a stickler for maintaining a challenge.

I remember stock magic not being all that impressive. It worked, but you had to basically spam the same damage spell over and over. Can't help with picking out an overhaul - I'm going to try Perkus Maximus, but that one's a pretty big change from vanilla.

A question of my own: either ENB stuff wasn't a big deal last I played or I never got into it. Is it pretty much only used for snazzy screenshots or can you actually play with one going, and if so can I get recommendations? Doesn't need to be the most gorgeous one out there, just one that'll prettify things without too much of a performance hit (if possible).

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

WarLocke posted:

I remember stock magic not being all that impressive. It worked, but you had to basically spam the same damage spell over and over. Can't help with picking out an overhaul - I'm going to try Perkus Maximus, but that one's a pretty big change from vanilla.

I still maintain that between SPERG and Apocalypse Spells are enough in and of themselves. The problem of enemies being stupid damage sponges (especially in the 20s) is another problem entirely, though I think I solve that particular problem by using followers with EFF, and slowing down the leveling rate, so I actually have time to accumulate the resources I need to make and acquire top-tier equipment ere the 20s.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

by using followers with EFF

Speaking of followers, after watching this video it really seems to me that AFT seems great. I don't see the need for an army of followers like EFF lets you do (if you can't handle something with 5 you probably should find something else to do, huh?) and AFT seems to have a ton more options than UFO...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Speaking of followers, after watching this video it really seems to me that AFT seems great. I don't see the need for an army of followers like EFF lets you do (if you can't handle something with 5 you probably should find something else to do, huh?) and AFT seems to have a ton more options than UFO...

The only problem with AFT (which was my preferred follower mod back when I actually played Skyrim) is that it's basically abandoned which makes for compatibility issues sometimes.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

A question of my own: either ENB stuff wasn't a big deal last I played or I never got into it. Is it pretty much only used for snazzy screenshots or can you actually play with one going, and if so can I get recommendations? Doesn't need to be the most gorgeous one out there, just one that'll prettify things without too much of a performance hit (if possible).

ENB is pretty much a requirement now for how much it improves stability and memory usage. You don't need to use the ENB graphical settings to use the other improvements though, so you can have Boris's sorcery running under the hood with 0 fps impact. This is a good guide that I've used to great effect, should help you get started.

If you're trying out ENBs to see what kind of performance drop you can tolerate, this utility works really well in seamlessly transition between different presets.

As far as presets goes, that's really all up to taste and what your GPU can handle. Google "performance enb skyrim" or something similar and you should get a good amount of hits.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

WarLocke posted:

GunnerJ posted:

The only problem with AFT (which was my preferred follower mod back when I actually played Skyrim) is that it's basically abandoned which makes for compatibility issues sometimes.

The problem with both AFT and UFO is that they use the dialogue menu to issue commands, which is kludgy and cumbersome as hell. EFF's menus are lightning-fast and can often compensate for problems with other mods in surprising ways, and altogether outweigh the advantages of AFT's other options. It seems as good a companion to SPERG to me as anything.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I was never really bothered by the dialog interface so a faster interface just doesn't matter to me. There's some quality of life features I'd really miss if I switched like conditional spells (making a follower capable of healing you when you're near death for example) and auto-helmet removal outside combat. Maybe they seem like minor things but they're more interesting features to me than a menu interface. But I also have a less that comprehensive understanding of what EFF if capable of, maybe there's something I missed and it can replicate these features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

GunnerJ posted:

I was never really bothered by the dialog interface so a faster interface just doesn't matter to me. There's some quality of life features I'd really miss if I switched like conditional spells (making a follower capable of healing you when you're near death for example) and auto-helmet removal outside combat. Maybe they seem like minor things but they're more interesting features to me than a menu interface. But I also have a less that comprehensive understanding of what EFF if capable of, maybe there's something I missed and it can replicate these features.

*shrug* If I want a healer follower I get a mod that makes one: Erandur Redone being my personal favorite. I've seen quite a few others out there. Ostensibly, my own overhaul of Heimskr in B-team is supposed to give him a similar healing spell but he seems to not want to cast it a lot. :sigh: As for helmet removal, that just strikes me as another active-script burden which isn't really essential; I use a cocktail of open-faced helmet and dragon masks mods instead.

• Locked thread