Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He should bunk with his mountain climbing buddy, Davis Aurini.

All I can imagine is them handing out MRA pamphlets on Halloween instead of candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Behold peasants, your new masters!!!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

TetsuoTW posted:

I figured it was because someone funny said "cuck" once and GBS posters set up ad hoc cargo cults around whatever the last funny thing they read was.

im gayku

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Scott proposes, Eliezer follows through, LessWrong comments: Construct an interesting fictional eugenics program!

The comments are the usual delight. Konkvistador is the first to say buttcoin "dysgenic". Those too stupid to donate to MIRI Dumb people can be kept from breeding using videogames, sexbots and robot kids, because you will see LW literally not understanding why people have children.

(Add some schoolgirl-rape-victim-bots of course, this is LW after all. "Meh. Rape play is pretty common.")

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Scott proposes, Eliezer follows through, LessWrong comments: Construct an interesting fictional eugenics program!

(Add some schoolgirl-rape-victim-bots of course, this is LW after all. "Meh. Rape play is pretty common.")

How have none of these people been maced in the face yet?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This reminds me of the old 'You wake up as Hitler in June of 1942, what do you do?' thing where the LW community immediately saw it as 'how do I win the war' and not 'How do I stop one of the great tragedies of history from doing even more damage'

It never occurs to them, in the slightest, that maybe Eugenics is discredited and useless because of ethical reasons or the fact that it is backed by insane scientific racism poo poo; no, it's all 'Well the principle is sound, how do we get the cattle car trains running on time?'

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Night10194 posted:

This reminds me of the old 'You wake up as Hitler in June of 1942, what do you do?' thing where the LW community immediately saw it as 'how do I win the war' and not 'How do I stop one of the great tragedies of history from doing even more damage'

It never occurs to them, in the slightest, that maybe Eugenics is discredited and useless because of ethical reasons or the fact that it is backed by insane scientific racism poo poo; no, it's all 'Well the principle is sound, how do we get the cattle car trains running on time?'

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Night10194 posted:

This reminds me of the old 'You wake up as Hitler in June of 1942, what do you do?' thing

It should, that's literally what started the conversation.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

TetsuoTW posted:

I figured it was because someone funny said "cuck" once and GBS posters set up ad hoc cargo cults around whatever the last funny thing they read was.

I'm pretty sure it's this. Nobody who posts in nu-gbs actually has a sense of humor.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

divabot posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you lesswrong.txt

quote:

It find it odd that your system assumes an intrusive central government to coordinate eugenics. For myself, any utopia that requires the government to be more intrusive in my life than my current one doesn't get to count as a utopia unless it's got some serious amenities (eg catgirls).

Why is it always catgirls with these assholes?

Also, I like how searching for "birth control" gets exactly one result, in the context of mandatory birth control/opt-in reproduction, and instead we get a ton of talk about how to make sure that poor people (because why even pretend that the poors aren't genetically inferior, right?) never even have sex. I guess the concept of high birth rates among low-income populations largely being a product of insufficient access to reliable birth control and family planning support, not the proles being screaming Morlocks who demand MORE BAYBEES, is foreign to these guys. (Much like how the concept that a real, effective "eugenics" program focused on ensuring that a more society-positive outcome for each generation would do way better by investments in education and social/health services to help parents and children towards positive outcomes than cultish worship of the PRECIOUS ESSENCES of the rich, but y'know.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Antivehicular posted:

They like the idea of thinking of women as animals subservient to them, I imagine.

Also, anime.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you lesswrong.txt

I'm more amused by the rest of that sentence, because, well, duh. Did he not realize that to maximize the effectiveness of a grand eugenics program, as any good rationalist should seek to do, it'd have to be pretty drat intrusive, between determining and forcing you to breed with your optimal mate? Never mind any of the other effects that would be necessary for a proper eugenics program, including paying for it?

quote:

Also, I like how searching for "birth control" gets exactly one result, in the context of mandatory birth control/opt-in reproduction, and instead we get a ton of talk about how to make sure that poor people (because why even pretend that the poors aren't genetically inferior, right?) never even have sex. I guess the concept of high birth rates among low-income populations largely being a product of insufficient access to reliable birth control and family planning support, not the proles being screaming Morlocks who demand MORE BAYBEES, is foreign to these guys. (Much like how the concept that a real, effective "eugenics" program focused on ensuring that a more society-positive outcome for each generation would do way better by investments in education and social/health services to help parents and children towards positive outcomes than cultish worship of the PRECIOUS ESSENCES of the rich, but y'know.)
Aside from that you'd also need to do some major leveling in order to distinguish socio-economic class from genetic quality, "rich because your parents are rich" as opposed to "rich because you're an ubermensch". Because a real eugenics program shouldn't give a poo poo who your parents are, what matters is your genetics and fitness to breed.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Antivehicular posted:

The answer is always "anime". I didn't really understand the "I simulate you simulating me simulating you ..." bit of Timeless Decision Theory as applied to Roko's Basilisk until I read Death Note, and Light and L ... simulate each other simulating each other. Oh, how I laughed.

Even with neoreaction, the answer is "anime". Deleted text from the RationalWiki article:

SJW Beta Mangina Shitlib Wiki posted:

Technologically advanced yet aristocratic factions fighting against corrupt, bloated democracies is an incredibly popular trope in Japanese sci-fi anime, ''c.f.'' the antagonists of most ''Gundam'' shows (particularly ''F91'''s Cosmo Babylonia or the Rommefeller Foundation from ''Wing''), or the more sympathetically portrayed Empire in ''Legend of the Galactic Heroes''. Given the average age and nerdiness of the typical neoreactionary blogger, many of them would have seen the US broadcast of ''Gundam Wing'' (a series infamous for its characters' love of absurd speechifying) during their formative years. Given the neoreactionaries' typical dislike of non-whites and utter horror of non-Western cultures influencing their own, that they're wannabe anime villains is hilarious.

Good old James A. Donald writes a suitably neoreactionary smackdown of this indulgent nonsense. It's such a pity for his point that his third paragraph starts "In the course of watching more anime that I should ..."

Googling "neoreaction anime" is a rich seam of comedy pyrites.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

divabot posted:

The comments are the usual delight. Konkvistador is the first to say buttcoin "dysgenic". Those too stupid to donate to MIRI Dumb people can be kept from breeding using videogames, sexbots and robot kids, because you will see LW literally not understanding why people have children.

You're new on the scene but you've really done admirably in the 'find quotes of horrible poo poo' field (pioneered by ...!)

I salute your nonshit posting

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

You're new on the scene but you've really done admirably in the 'find quotes of horrible poo poo' field (pioneered by ...!)
I salute your nonshit posting

Why thank you! I hung out on LessWrong for four years, which is longer than many, and I read the Sequences two or three times and the entirety of LW Main 2007-2012 once. This is because it was entertaining as Internet television. I would not recommend it to others for this purpose unless you are me. I started because a friend was considering signing up for cryonics, which I was actually neutral-to-positive on until I looked further into it and went "what is this BS." I suppose the attraction of LW was a rich seam of people being wrong on the Internet in new and creative ways.

So having done my cultural studies and suffered for my art, NOW IT'S YOUR TURN.

I got to hate neoreaction because gently caress Silicon Valley libertarians, and in particular gently caress the ones on LessWrong. Quite a bit of the stuff I'm posting of late is because I'm actually rereading the LW Mock Thread and finding new old horror or links to new old horror. That thread is a delight and anyone reading through this thread needs to read that one. (I now know all I will ever need to about "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Optimal" without ever having to read the actual thing.)

If we ever get another LW Mock Thread (though with even Yudkowsky largely not bothering any more, only the most dedicated cultists remain), I'll read up on its predecessor, the SL4 list, before Yudkowsky learnt to moderate himself. A lot of the LW regulars were from there, and a lot of the people disparaged on LW pooh-poohed Yudkowsky's great ideas there first. Not a lot of proto-neoreaction there as far as I know, certainly no Yarvin.

divabot has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Jul 21, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Night10194 posted:

I'm honestly not sure how you could make WWII less tragic, especially if you take the view that letting the Soviets have free reign of Europe is a bad thing but one way to do that would be give Frederic Porsche free reign. :getin:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

I'm honestly not sure how you could make WWII less tragic, especially if you take the view that letting the Soviets have free reign of Europe is a bad thing but one way to do that would be give Frederic Porsche free reign. :getin:

How about stopping the Holocaust which was still ongoing at that point. Seems like a no brainer.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Historical events for June 1942

7th - Germany Armys march into Sebastopol

9th - Nazis kill all inhabitants of Lidice, which had been implicated in the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the Nazi controller of Bohemia and Moravia, and Hitler’s order was given to “teach the Czechs a final lesson of subservience and humility”.

12th - Hitler orders enslavement of Slavic peoples

14th - Walt Disney's animated movie "Bambi", based on the book by Felix Salten, is released

20th - Adolf Eichmann proclaims deportation of Dutch Jews

20th - German troops conquer Tobruk, North Africa

26th - German assault on British at Mersa Matruh

All of these things could have potentially been stopped, and that's just June

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair another reason for poor people having more children than middle class and rich people are the positive economic incentives for richer people to either not have kids at all or have them later in life. When the only career you have stand to lose from having kids is minimum wage anyways it's a lot easier to see havi kids as worthwhile. Though once again the reoreactionaries never once address the idea that maybe it's societies fault that there is poverty, not some inherent immorality on the part of the poor.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

divabot posted:

Good old James A. Donald writes a suitably neoreactionary smackdown of this indulgent nonsense. It's such a pity for his point that his third paragraph starts "In the course of watching more anime that I should ..."

Whenever people talk about "masculinity" I want to ask, "what (sub)culture's idea of masculinity? When?"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

Whenever people talk about "masculinity" I want to ask, "what (sub)culture's idea of masculinity? When?"
Okay, but why do you want an inane explanation regarding inborn sex/gender roles?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

Let's all have that long discussion where they try to pretend that the Ancient Greeks weren't even remotely gay.

On that note: I once saw a NRX argue, in all seriousness, that trans people were bad because Heliogabalus was a poor emperor.

You know. Democratically elected leader, Heliogabalus.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Oof

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Cingulate posted:

Okay, but why do you want an inane explanation regarding inborn sex/gender roles?

What I have noticed, is that these people can speak very authoritatively and sound like they really know what they are talking about, ie that they are experts, at least when they are talking about something that you don't know as much about in the first place. However, when they start to talk about something that you yourself are versed in, it becomes painfully obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about. I actually kind of admire this skill because as long as you are talking to generally uninformed people you come off as an expert. I think it's known as "being full of poo poo"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gum posted:

Historical events for June 1942

7th - Germany Armys march into Sebastopol

9th - Nazis kill all inhabitants of Lidice, which had been implicated in the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the Nazi controller of Bohemia and Moravia, and Hitler’s order was given to “teach the Czechs a final lesson of subservience and humility”.

12th - Hitler orders enslavement of Slavic peoples

14th - Walt Disney's animated movie "Bambi", based on the book by Felix Salten, is released

20th - Adolf Eichmann proclaims deportation of Dutch Jews

20th - German troops conquer Tobruk, North Africa

26th - German assault on British at Mersa Matruh

All of these things could have potentially been stopped, and that's just June

It's actually a really interesting question because there isn't an easy solution because of the limitations of your role. How far can you go and how in reducing the horror of Nazi Germany and the Second World War before your hideous, backstabbing underlings go 'screw it, need a new Fuhrer, this one's broken'?

Mind you, if you could find a way to quickly and quietly assassinate Himmler to start with, that'd probably give you a good lead before everyone else starts giving you trouble.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Terrible Opinions posted:

To be fair another reason for poor people having more children than middle class and rich people are the positive economic incentives for richer people to either not have kids at all or have them later in life. When the only career you have stand to lose from having kids is minimum wage anyways it's a lot easier to see havi kids as worthwhile. Though once again the reoreactionaries never once address the idea that maybe it's societies fault that there is poverty, not some inherent immorality on the part of the poor.

Well, sure; I'm obviously being a bit simplistic, and I will admit that the only idea of theirs that makes much of any sense is "ameliorate economic costs of childbearing for the middle- and upper-middle class." (Obviously, ameliorating economic costs of childbearing for everyone should be a larger priority, and it's less for eugenic reasons and more that a society that's completely hosed over people's ability to have families is in deep poo poo.) I just love that they don't even think "hmmm. Maybe instead of video-game monasteries or robot families, we could give poor people better access to reliable birth control?" I know their next thought would have been "nah, those fuckin' trogs'll just rip out their IUDs so they can spermjack harder," because ultimately the concept that poor people can make good reproductive decisions given the tools is foreign to them, but it's still kind of amazing that people who pride themselves on their rationality never even loving considered a lower-cost, already extant and effective option.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

It's actually a really interesting question because there isn't an easy solution because of the limitations of your role. How far can you go and how in reducing the horror of Nazi Germany and the Second World War before your hideous, backstabbing underlings go 'screw it, need a new Fuhrer, this one's broken'?

Mind you, if you could find a way to quickly and quietly assassinate Himmler to start with, that'd probably give you a good lead before everyone else starts giving you trouble.

It'd make a decent SF novel, I suppose.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

These loving people and their obsession with a BIG BLACK MAN who will CUCKOLD them!!

LessWrong gets a fair bit of play as the neoreactionary incubator, but to be fair OvercomingBias, where the LessWrong Sequences originally ran, was and is hugely friendly to NRx tropes. Particularly cuckoldry, which Robin Hanson has much important information on. Women rarely rape men, but they do cuckold them, after all. And he'd just like to explicitly equate the two, in answer to you foolish irrational humans who are not GMU econ professors. Searching the blog for the word "cuckold" finds many revelatory posts.

loving Hanson. He is a genuine professor of economics at GMU (thankfully not an Austrian, he politely considers them incoherent) and guess what he does? Make his students do assignments to establish appropriate legal "remedy or damages for cuckold". I don't want to slip into psychoanalysis or relationship analysis over the Internet, but by Gnon the temptation is overwhelming.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's why it's an interesting hypothetical; Hitler is the one on whom all blame ended up being cast but the Nazi system was enormous and many, many people were complicit, so the question of how much a Hitler who suddenly changed objectives (due to time travel or the GREAT RACE OF YITH stealing his mind or whatever) could actually do to stop it is a good way to explore the wider abuses of the system instead of the simple idea that it was one really evil fucker that did everything (which is not to say Hitler wasn't incredibly complicit in his crimes, just that the net is wider than one rear end in a top hat with a sill mustache). It would be a good vehicle for exploring the general failings of the Great Man theory of history by examining how much influence even the ostensibly most powerful individual could have against the inertia of what had already been set in motion and built support structures.

But to LW, the point is obviously to use delicious, magical science to build DER FLIEDERTIGER so it won't get stuck in the Russian mud or make a moon base.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

The whole point of such a question is to short-circuit such an appeal by pointing out that masculinity is defined by culture and time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

The whole point of such a question is to short-circuit such an appeal by pointing out that masculinity is defined by culture and time.

They refuse to believe this, because any evidence to the contrary is just part of the Cathedral's stranglehold on academia.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

Does this ever work out for you?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Boy ain't it ever...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I assume at least half of the "Dark Enlightenment" sphere is absolutely in love with Trump?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

I assume at least half of the "Dark Enlightenment" sphere is absolutely in love with Trump?

I doubt it, he's a modern idiot instead of an old dead idiot.

They probably think criticism of him is representative of something evil though, similar to criticism of distinguished ethical scholar Phil "Duck Commander" Robertson

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The SSC comments policy of encouraging the best people ever continues to reward!

A neoreactionary Effective Altruist, apparently posted:

tl;dr: I find both effective altruism and neoreaction interesting, and I’m wondering if anyone else feels the same way. I explain why I don’t think EA and NRx are necessarily mutually exclusive, although in practice they are.

Quite a few rationalists identify as effective altruists, and quite a few others identify as neoreactionaries. I sort of identify as an EA and I don’t identify as a neoreactionary, but I find a lot of neoreactionary ideas interesting. I’ve never heard of anyone who likes both, though. I don’t mention my interest in neoreaction to effective altruists (or to anyone, actually), not only because it wouldn’t be well-received, but because advocating an EA approach for controversial causes could really damage the movement’s reputation.

One example from the distant past is colonial settlement: it’s probably not something that EAs of several hundred years ago would be in favor of, but looking at the results over a very long period of time, the initial costs to the natives seem very small compared to the eventual benefits to the colonists. There are far more people living in the Americas today than in 1500, so if each person’s moral weight is independent of their date of birth, the well-being of the current population is far more important than the injustices inflicted on past natives.

Genocide and slavery were ultimately good because of all the utilons modern white people, of which there are so many more, have gained from them! When this impeccable logic is questioned, he doubles and triples down, because he's really fond of this idea.

I wonder what gems he'd come out with if he was a neoreactionary.

They probably think criticism of him is representative of something evil though, similar to criticism of distinguished ethical scholar Phil "Duck Commander" Robertson

He wasn't delighting his fans with torture porn about atheists, in the completely standard style of the genre! No, he was doing moral philosophy. And you must be the real torturepornist for thinking otherwise.

There's principle of charity (I refuse to call it "steelmanning") and then there's being a loving twat.

divabot has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jul 21, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's got to kind of suck to commit yourself to defending every person criticized on a left-wing basis ever.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

It's got to kind of suck to commit yourself to defending every person criticized on a left-wing basis ever.

Someone worked out you could torture eight neoreactionaries forever for every dollar donated, so Scott is now living in a simulation run by ... Roko's Femilisk. (The final boss for Gamergate.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

This is what Clarkhat and Anarcho-Papist think the future will be like.