Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Selling vehicles in Alberta is fun. Riggers love to trade out every year, after burying them in 96 month terms three years in a row that $55,000 half ton becomes an $80,000 loan. I've tried to tell people to wait or take longer terms, but they keep needing that new truck for whatever the gently caress reason. Albertans are really dumb. Really really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Sounds like someone needs to loving grow up.

Yeah, this.

I don't think you should be describing as a "tough lady" anyone who leaves home for the first time and cries at whatever the ICBC equivalent of Alberta is because she misses home so much.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

My lovely friend had to move there and isn't enjoying it. She showed us her drivers license and she's actually crying in it, they had to take a few pictures for one to be accepted because you can't be obviously crying in your license picture. That's how bad Alberta is, made a grown woman cry when it finally hit her she's there to stay for the next few years.

As someone who grew up in Edmonton but now lives in Victoria, hooooooooooo boy is she in for a shock, especially if she's used to the 'outdoor lifestyle'. There's gently caress all around Edmonton unless you drive 3 hours to Jasper.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

M.McFly posted:

As someone who grew up in Edmonton but now lives in Victoria, hooooooooooo boy is she in for a shock, especially if she's used to the 'outdoor lifestyle'. There's gently caress all around Edmonton unless you drive 3 hours to Jasper.

You're so wrong. Edmonton has several great lake and wetland areas that are perfect for day hikes, and shitloads of kayaking/canoeing opportunities. The River Valley is huge and awesome, Elk Island National Park is super close, and a 3 hour drive to the Rockies isn't a hardship. I mean, Victoria is pretty drat close to mountains and stuff, but of all the places to move to East of the Rockies, Edmonton is a pretty decent choice for outdoorsy stuff.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I bet you motherfuckers even have a convention center

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Mederlock posted:

You're so wrong. Edmonton has several great lake and wetland areas that are perfect for day hikes, and shitloads of kayaking/canoeing opportunities. The River Valley is huge and awesome, Elk Island National Park is super close, and a 3 hour drive to the Rockies isn't a hardship. I mean, Victoria is pretty drat close to mountains and stuff, but of all the places to move to East of the Rockies, Edmonton is a pretty decent choice for outdoorsy stuff.

All those places you just listed are indeed awesome, but honestly they're not even in the same league. I'm saying this as someone who's lived in both places - if you're used to backcountry skiing, rock climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, whatever, you're going to be disappointed moving to Edmonton. I, too, thought a day hike in Elk Island was pretty cool; then I moved to the coast. The fact that there are probably worse places doesn't make it less lovely. At least Calgary has easy access to Canmore.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Selling vehicles in Alberta is fun. Riggers love to trade out every year, after burying them in 96 month terms three years in a row that $55,000 half ton becomes an $80,000 loan. I've tried to tell people to wait or take longer terms, but they keep needing that new truck for whatever the gently caress reason. Albertans are really dumb. Really really dumb.

it's no wonder that they fought over a mithril shirt

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
It is my contention that an overwhelmingly vast percentage of people who purport to be into the "outdoor lifestyle", and proclaim so at every opportunity haven't seen a hiking trail or similar venue in well over a year :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/739a3700-2eeb-11e5-8873-775ba7c2ea3d.html?siteedition=intl

quote:

QE feeding Europe house price bubble, says study

The European Central Bank’s quantitative easing programme risks fuelling house price bubbles in several countries, according to new research, as investors pour cash into real estate.

Germany, Norway and the UK are judged most at risk because ultra-low interest rates and bond yields have fuelled rapid house price growth, said the report by Moody’s Analytics.

Anna Zabrodzka, the author, said rising prices and the ECB’s €60bn-a-month asset-buying programme have caused “the risk of house price bubbles” to “resurface”.
“While bond markets have experienced a correction and yields on German sovereign debt climbed recently, they are still extraordinarily low,” she said. “This has encouraged investment in the property market, which yields a higher return.”

Since 2010 average house prices in Norway have risen more than 30 per cent, in Germany by nearly 25 per cent and in the UK by nearly 15 per cent, Moody’s Analytics found.

The rises are buoyed by rapid growth in big cities such as London, Oslo and Munich, where properties are “becoming increasingly overvalued”, it added.
Lucian Cook, director of residential research at Savills, property advisers, said that “cash has become a much greater driver of house prices” across Europe in recent years due to low interest rates and weak returns on other asset classes.

The search for yield has also pushed a surge of money into the commercial property market over the past couple of years, sparking fears of a separate bubble. In 2014 global commercial property prices and yields hit levels last seen before the financial crisis, research published This year showed.

The Bundesbank warned in late 2013 that average German house prices could be overvalued by as much as 10 per cent, and by 20 per cent in some big cities. Moody’s Analytics said this was “also evident in London and Oslo”.

The greatest risk of a bubble lies in Norway, the researchers said. Concern has been mounting there for some time. In 2012, the IMF lowered the country’s growth forecast, blaming rapid house price growth.

Norway’s Financial Supervisory Authority said this year that falling interest rates were pushing the housing market into an upward spiral. Despite this the Norwegian central bank has continued to cut interest rates in an effort to prop up the economy in the face of low oil prices.

Germany’s housing market has long had a reputation for being stable, with little if any price growth. Unlike most other big European economies it avoided a housing market slump after the global financial crisis.

But since 2009 prices there have been rising steadily due to Germany’s reputation as an economic haven.

“Growing demand for German properties is leading to overvaluation, especially given the insufficient supply,” Moody’s Analytics reported. Construction has now begun to pick up but “it will take a few years before supply catches up to demand”.

Although the Bank of England has halted its own quantitative easing programme, British house prices are still growing strongly. They rose by 5.7 per cent in the year to May.

This growth rate has slowed somewhat — in the same period the previous year prices rose by 10.4 per cent.

Last year the Bank of England introduced tougher mortgage lending rules, and warned that a resurgence in the country’s pre-credit crunch house price boom risked derailing Britain’s economic recovery.

But Moody’s Analytics said that loan standards in Britain are “still relatively loose”, primarily because of the government’s Help to Buy scheme, which subsidises purchases. In particular, the number of mortgages with high loan-to-value ratios has risen sharply since the programme was introduced in 2013.

Oslo, Munich, London - the best places on earth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cheap poorly underwritten credit is the biggest factor IMO for creating and driving housing bubbles.

At least in places like Munich it's still a more rent focused housing culture unlike Vancouver

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I probably wouldn't cry if i had to move to Munich or Oslo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THC posted:

I probably wouldn't cry if i had to move to Munich or Oslo.

Munich has actual jobs unlike Vancouver

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This bubble isn't going to pop. The world's governments can't afford to let it, at this point.

Soon not buying a house or condo will be illegal. They'll start rounding up people who rent and drones will fly overhead ready to alert police if anyone utters the phrase 'housing bubble'.

Our dystopian nightmare won't be filled with pictures out of Blade Runner or Brazil, instead it'll be lovely realtor portraits.

Gaze upon our future and despair.

Home ownership is now mandatory.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

It is my contention that an overwhelmingly vast percentage of people who purport to be into the "outdoor lifestyle", and proclaim so at every opportunity haven't seen a hiking trail or similar venue in well over a year :colbert:

But they buy all their clothes at Lululemon!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Zardoz, speaks to you, his chosen ones. You have been raised up from rental suites to sell to the renters that multiply and are legion. To this end, Zardoz, gave you the gift of the pride of ownership. The mortgage is good. The lease is evil. The lease is just throwing your money away paying someone else's mortgage, as once it was. But the mortgage shoots equity and purifies the earth of the filth of renters. Go forth and sell. Zardoz has spoken.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahahahah

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If you want more evidence that Vancouver prices are due to that unique and desirable ~Vancouver lifestyle~

In Monocle's most recent Quality of Life city survey they've more heavily weighted affordability and outdoor activities. Primarily due to the latter Vancouver has shot way up to 7th from 15th (19th in 2013). Though Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada, this didn't hurt its ranking that much, as every other city in this list is absurdly expensive. 2014 winner Copenhagen dropped from 1st to 10th place primarily due to the fact that it's absurdly expensive.

If anyone has any questions about the rankings I have the issue infront of me because I am unapologetic yuppie and I can answer anything.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
wow i bet you're that guy that sits in one of those cafes painted entirely in white paint reading the walrus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Zardoz, speaks to you, his chosen ones. You have been raised up from rental suites to sell to the renters that multiply and are legion. To this end, Zardoz, gave you the gift of the pride of ownership. The mortgage is good. The lease is evil. The lease is just throwing your money away paying someone else's mortgage, as once it was. But the mortgage shoots equity and purifies the earth of the filth of renters. Go forth and sell. Zardoz has spoken.

lol

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

wow i bet you're that guy that sits in one of those cafes painted entirely in white paint reading the walrus

Basically yes. I'm not sure what's worse Walrus or Monocle. Monocle looks like any other design magazine from the cover, but after the light surface layer of design, fashion and urbanism coverage, contentwise it's hyper capitalist, accepting of any political ideology and situation in the cause of business opportunity, and has a weird hard on for military hardware.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You are on a roll

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The mortgage is good!!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Oslo, Munich, London - the best places on earth

Pretty much yeah :confused:
They're talking about the historic wealthy parts of course, not Hamlet Tower Estates.
Difference of course is that the 450K Labrador City bungalow in rural Germany or Northern UK would still be sub 100K.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm so sorry, everyone.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I lived in Victoria for my entire life up until six years ago when I moved to Edmonton. Shortly after that I moved to Calgary. I also lived in both cities without a car. Didn't have a problem. I actually really liked Edmonton. Parts of it reminded me of Victoria and it was generally pretty easy to get around if you knew the system or had a bike.

Now I live in Toronto and I can't stand it.

So YMMV.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

sitchensis posted:

I lived in Victoria for my entire life up until six years ago when I moved to Edmonton. Shortly after that I moved to Calgary. I also lived in both cities without a car. Didn't have a problem. I actually really liked Edmonton. Parts of it reminded me of Victoria and it was generally pretty easy to get around if you knew the system or had a bike.

Now I live in Toronto and I can't stand it.

So YMMV.

I grew up in a :airquote: suburb :airquote: of good ol Sudbury, Ontario. I now live in downtown Vancouver.

Even with the increasingly unaffordable housing, the decaying communities, the explosion of homelessness, the completely useless local governments - I will never, ever, go back to living in a place like Sudbury.

Granted, my sister who stayed in Greater Sudbury recently bought a home on a double-digit acre property for like 200k a few km from where we grew up. I'm jealous of that. But then I remember that I can just walk everywhere and not have to drive on ice roads to work every day.

ray_finkle
Aug 31, 2001
Laces out, Dan!

Tipps posted:

I grew up in a :airquote: suburb :airquote: of good ol Sudbury, Ontario. I now live in downtown Vancouver.

Even with the increasingly unaffordable housing, the decaying communities, the explosion of homelessness, the completely useless local governments - I will never, ever, go back to living in a place like Sudbury.

Granted, my sister who stayed in Greater Sudbury recently bought a home on a double-digit acre property for like 200k a few km from where we grew up. I'm jealous of that. But then I remember that I can just walk everywhere and not have to drive on ice roads to work every day.

I did almost the exact opposite move as you. Moved to Sudbury last year from Whistler. Sudbury is terrible. If this thread thinks lifted bro pickups are concentrated in Ft Mac come here and see the ridiculous number of jacked up trucks and ford raptors. In a city with declining employment I don't get how everyone here has a sled boat lifted truck and quad. Thank God for cheap credit or this place would be hosed!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ray_finkle posted:

I did almost the exact opposite move as you. Moved to Sudbury last year from Whistler. Sudbury is terrible. If this thread thinks lifted bro pickups are concentrated in Ft Mac come here and see the ridiculous number of jacked up trucks and ford raptors. In a city with declining employment I don't get how everyone here has a sled boat lifted truck and quad. Thank God for cheap credit or this place would be hosed!

Honestly I find it hilarious we all make fun of Alberta for the truck nuts crew when rural Ontario is literally just as bad. Anything from Barrie up fits the same mold.

Also 200k is kind of ridiculous for 2 acres in the middle nowhere (that also happens to be in the middle of the snow belt). I wonder if that article was right about hobby farms and cottage country being the first things to feel the effects of a bubble crash because right now the prices are hilarious, especially in Simcoe/Muskoka.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

Honestly I find it hilarious we all make fun of Alberta for the truck nuts crew when rural Ontario is literally just as bad. Anything from Barrie up fits the same mold.

Also 200k is kind of ridiculous for 2 acres in the middle nowhere (that also happens to be in the middle of the snow belt). I wonder if that article was right about hobby farms and cottage country being the first things to feel the effects of a bubble crash because right now the prices are hilarious, especially in Simcoe/Muskoka.

Not 2 acres, double-digit acres (minimum 10, as it would usually be interpreted).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Furnaceface posted:

Really it's anywhere outside a major city anywhere in north america.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Furnaceface posted:

I hope so, I would like to one day afford my hermit cabin 100km from civilization in BC without having to pay north of $500k for it.

gently caress the idiots that ended the homestead act 200 years too early in this province. :fuckthis:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
With twice the debt of California, Ontario is now the world’s most indebted sub-sovereign borrower

:laffo:

Sorry for the double post, I'm drunk as sin.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Alberta food bank surge: sign of bad times for all?

quote:

Due to a slow down in the oil patch, food banks across Alberta are suddenly overrun with demand. Today, Alberta Food Banks is issuing a news release with an urgent call for donations, saying "the shelves are bare" at many locations.

"I've personally talked to a dozen food banks in the last two to three months and I can't think of one that has said their numbers haven't increased," executive director Stephanie Rigby said. "We know that there may be more to come, and I know the food banks are bracing."

Many newcomers, such as Pamela in Edmonton, are first-time users. "I never thought it would come to this," she said about seeking donated food.

Until she was laid off at Christmas, Pamela was earning $38 an hour working in the oil industry. We are withholding her last name because she worries publishing it will hurt her chances of landing another job.

Pamela says she and her husband, who's off work due to an injury, finally decided to turn to the food bank because they're running out of cash. They can barely keep up with their bills and are struggling to make the minimum payments on $17,000 in credit-card debt they've racked up to cover costs.

"We've fallen upon hard times," Pamela said, adding that it's "a common experience" in oil country.
:psyduck:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
This is still the best comedy thread on this forums, please keep up the Alberta hate comments, me and my co-workers get a big laugh out of it :)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving Albertans are dumber than Maritimers

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

How many of your coworkers are sitting on $15k of consumer debt

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
none that I know of we're all well educated and make good money, we don't need to complain about everyone online because we don't hate our lives.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Furnaceface posted:

10 acres, not 2. It's a huge plot of savage woodland out near the Capreol area. I don't know the exact price she and her husband paid, but it was in the region of 200k according to my mom. The little house on it is a hovel, but she is a stay-at-home wife with an addiction to cats and pinterest so I'm sure she will enjoy fixing it up. Her husband is a very stereotypical Ontario hick so having so much acreage to snomobile/quad/go mudding in is just dandy for him.

But then they have to take their big F150 and drive 30 minutes just to do groceries every week. This last winter they were snowed in a few times since they don't even have plow service where they live. Though admitedly that has been the case in Greater Sudbury for a while since the amalgamation in the early 2000s, as the resources for plow services are focused primarily in the core and the suburbs are left hosed

As much as I would love to have a hobby farm one day with buffalo and goats and poo poo, it would be hard to imagine living in a place like that again. An alternative is nearby Abbotsford, but I'd get burned at the stake in that bible belt for being :gay:.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

There's a rally happening in Diefenbunker with the intoxicated crew.