Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Geico is poo poo, if for no other reason than the fact that their stupid ads are inescapable on a daily basis. Even if you don't listen to radio or watch TV or somehow avoid the billboards or printed ads, they are the only company advertising via loving airplane banners

Haha, I went to the beach in Florida for the weekend of the 4th and there were exactly two planes I saw flying banners: one for a crab shack up the road, and one for loving Geico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

xzzy posted:

I don't think any insurance company pays the replacement cost of any car, unless you set up special terms beforehand (and pay through the nose).

I felt State Farm treated me well on my only claim, they paid me full book value plus some consideration for custom wheels, stereo, and ECU upgrade on my car. I definitely could have replaced it with what they gave me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think it depends on your agent. My folks had State Farm for years and were happy with how they were treated with numerous claims. Their agent retired and they had a claim with the new agent who just dragged everything out, didn't keep them in the loop, and just had them take the lead. Then their rates started going up quite a bit and they switched to a different company.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Safe Auto, the ol state minimum insurance, actually gets a little of my respect. Their lawyers went above and beyond helping my wife with a wreck she had a couple years ago. She hasn't even been a customer for two or three years and they still did their job fully. I mean, current customer or not, maybe they're legally obligated to, but I get the feeling that most others would have done the bare minimum and not been helpful at all.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Geico dropped me completely via mail notice after I called one day to inquire if my winch would be covered in case of theft. Because I occasionally take my vehicle off-road, I guess.

gently caress your insurance, anything I bend or break I'll fix myself for a fraction of the deductible. I just want coverage from rear end in a top hat drivers and thieves.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I totalled my truck (totally my fault), and when Geico learned I worked for a newspaper, they automatically tried to drop me because there might have been a chance I could deliver a single newspaper in it. gently caress no, I left that to my delivery guy, and no, I didn't inquire too closely about the state of his insurance. Because newspaper delivery, like pizza delivery, is a money-losing proposition without insurance fraud.

I'm on State Farm at the moment, but after they savaged my rear end in a top hat the last time I made my 6-mo. payment, I'm looking for something else. Someone who won't savage my rear end in a top hat when they learn I have an at-fault on my record.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Absolutely on the engine noise. When you're driving one it feels like you've stuck your head next to a front end loader's engine bay.

It is important that everyone understands this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePvi8w22ZqI

I mean, the engine is a good engine. But it's pretty loud.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Philip J Fry posted:

I want coverage from parts & personal item thieves.

Good luck finding anyone who covers this.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
No pics of the initial failure, but I can scrounge you one later of the fix; there's a coolant line that runs right across the top of your workspace when you're replacing the coil pack on this VW 2.8 V6, right. The thread is apparently familiar with them having the tensile strength of a frito.

I nudged it while replacing said coil pack, and it crumbled. gently caress. I had no hopes whatsoever that it was even a numbered part that could be ordered, and gently caress if I was going to deal with any other portions of the system this evening.

I hacked the stubs at either end of the break into sorta hose barbs, and replaced the run with a piece of goddamn hose like the entire rest of the universe uses. The snazzy engine covers don't fit anymore, but the poor thing runs.

:sigh:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
State Farm never issued my homeowners policy like my agent told me they did, didn't tell me about it for three months, then doubled the cost of my car insurance because I suddenly didn't have the multiple lines discount.

gently caress State Farm.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
I am a good mechanic :downs:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Time for a new caliper on that...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Warthog posted:

I am a good mechanic :downs:

I hate myself for being the first to scream IT NEEDS CALIPERS! on customer cars. And then totally cutting the gently caress out of my own rotors and pad slapping on my own brake jobs.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Hmpf, thought I'd try once more with pads, slide pins and anti-rattle clips first... :v:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
https://www.reddit.com/r/catastrophicfailure

Just found this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

90% of it is fatalities / operator error. We still do it better.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

forums.somethingawful.com/r/redditlinks

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

motherfuckers putting the goddamn filter on without lubing the gasket

bane of my existence at sears

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

holy loving poo poo, how did you manage to mangle that so badly without actually making any progress?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Had this happen once: Take a syringe or turkey baster, fill it with oil, inject it between the seal as best you can.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

holy loving poo poo, how did you manage to mangle that so badly without actually making any progress?

I don't know, that's how it came to us on the flat bed :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People forget that the oil filter should only be finger tight and use a filter wrench to tighten it. :suicide:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Collateral Damage posted:

People Shops forget that the oil filter should only be finger tight don't want the slightest chance of someone coming back with an oil leak, don't care who has to change it next, and use a filter wrench to tighten it. :suicide:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So topical I LITTERALLY ten min ago had to use an electric impact to get a customers canister filter off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I swear the most senior bottomside tech we had at the quicklube I worked at had hydraulic presses for hands. You know the big rear end filters on ford 7.3s and poo poo, the ones that swallow an entire quart of oil when you prefill them? I watched the sheetmetal ripple on one of those when he tightened it barehanded once.

Didn't matter if the gasket got oiled or not, if he put that fucker on there, he was the only one who was gonna get it back off. I'm no slouch grip wise and I couldn't even come close to getting some of his filters off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I always tightened the loving poo poo out of those anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I did the first oil change on my mom's new forester, which has a top mounted filter. Guy at the factory must have been angry because I had a hard time getting that thing off. My 3-jaw filter wrench was slipping and mangled it all up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My GTI has a paper filter element that sits inside of a reusable plastic canister. The nice thing about it is the 36mm (or is it 32mm?) hex molded into the bottom for a wrench to go on, making removal easy. Last time I took it off, though, I couldn't get the drat filter out. It was stuck on the central tube in the canister. When I pulled on it, the tube itself pulled out! After I cut the filter off, I noticed that the tube just snapped into the bottom of the canister with some tabs, but I was scared I destroyed the thing for about ten minutes.

I can never get the drat thing back on the car, though. The element has to align with another tube I can't see deep inside the port and I can never get the threads to start when I put it on. The longest part of an oil change is always me adjusting the angle minutely until I get the drat thing going.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I haven't a clue why filter manufacturers don't do what whoever makes Toyota's OE can filters does. They come pre-greased with a nice silicone lube, and the seal is an o-ring that has the correct amount of compression when the can touches the flange. No guesswork, just go til it's metal on metal and then it's good to go and comes off by hand next time. loving beautiful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tommychu posted:

I haven't a clue why filter manufacturers don't do what whoever makes Toyota's OE can filters does. They come pre-greased with a nice silicone lube, and the seal is an o-ring that has the correct amount of compression when the can touches the flange. No guesswork, just go til it's metal on metal and then it's good to go and comes off by hand next time. loving beautiful.

Bosch filters come that way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jeep's new thing is a drop-in similar to the VW design above, except without the hosed up aspects. I don't need to jack it up, and I can reach the drain plug from next to it, so I can change my oil without even getting under the loving thing.

Edit: Particularly on the '13+ models the housing is prone to cracking if you overtighten it. It also might only be a slight crack that you don't even notice until most of your oil has seeped out of the engine. So there's that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 23, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Uthor posted:

My GTI has a paper filter element that sits inside of a reusable plastic canister. The nice thing about it is the 36mm (or is it 32mm?) hex molded into the bottom for a wrench to go on, making removal easy. Last time I took it off, though, I couldn't get the drat filter out. It was stuck on the central tube in the canister. When I pulled on it, the tube itself pulled out! After I cut the filter off, I noticed that the tube just snapped into the bottom of the canister with some tabs, but I was scared I destroyed the thing for about ten minutes.

Had the exact same experience my first oil change on the Audi. Had a little freak out imagining some $150 oil housing replacement but I also just cut it off.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I always tightened the loving poo poo out of those anyway.

You'll regret it. When I went to do my filter, the bastard was on there tighter than a thing that's on too tight. I ended up having to remove the filter adapter to get it off. There are probably pictures around here of that screw up of mine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Horse Divorce posted:

You'll regret it. When I went to do my filter, the bastard was on there tighter than a thing that's on too tight. I ended up having to remove the filter adapter to get it off. There are probably pictures around here of that screw up of mine.

I did hundreds of them... had a band wrench that had a 1/2" drive on it. Never failed to get one off. :)
edit: Make sure you push the band all the way up so its gripping on the stamped steel portion of the filter rather than anywhere in the center/top where it is just sheet metal.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 23, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I did hundreds of them... had a band wrench that had a 1/2" drive on it. Never failed to get one off. :)
edit: Make sure you push the band all the way up so its gripping on the stamped steel portion of the filter rather than anywhere in the center/top where it is just sheet metal.

I tried using a band, but space was tight. I guess you're just luckier than I am. But I'll learn one of these days!

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
hey you never know, maybe they put on the wrong filter type or something and it couldn't handle the pressure and exploded. Because that thing looks like it exploded. I kind of hope it exploded...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Xlyfindel posted:

hey you never know, maybe they put on the wrong filter type or something and it couldn't handle the pressure and exploded. Because that thing looks like it exploded. I kind of hope it exploded...

youre adorable

(no but seriously oil pressures are roughly the same in just about all car engines, that was a loving hamhanded attempt to remove it with a screwdriver.)

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
Here's a mechanical failure:

It's from a 7.3 power stroke, I bought it with 345,000 miles figuring it was good for a while longer. I was driving it at night a couple weeks ago and started hearing a ticking noise, followed by a BANG, and the engine died. I drained all of the coolant out of the oil pan, so I figured it was hosed.

I put a used engine in and just got the head off the old one, and that's what I found. Guess I know how the coolant got into the oil pan...

I'll try to gather up some pieces of piston if you want to see what a piston looks like after it explodes. I have no idea why it decided to explode, but it bent a valve, push rod and a glowplug, and took out the block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That looks a lot like when I blew up my 283. I think it dropped a valve but I had my foot to the floor when it happened and there was hardly any large pieces of piston left, haha.