Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GutBomb posted:

The hub bub isn't about sharing with a friend. I think most people do that. I think it's about having a remote service do the serving that people are talking about. The media has to be streamed from the remote service to work, and that would mean that there would be a remote service that you upload copyrighted content to, and the likelihood of any service willing to take on that kind of liability is laughable.

You main option is get better internet.

Well, Cloud Sync is another option, but it has some limitations other than being behind the Plex Pass paywall. The way Cloud Sync works is you connect a cloud storage provider to your Plex account, e.g., Google Drive, and choose what content to sync to those storage services. In my case, I have my Plex server set up to recurringly sync the 5 latest movies I add to my to library to my Google Drive and Box.com accounts. Those 5 movies are optimized (transcoded) and sent to Google Drive/Box and can be remotely streamed from there, utilizing the speed of the Google/Box cloud services instead of my home internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

The big issue is support would be trivial and is already claimed by their website.

Just gonna suggest you are 100% of the target audience for your magical streaming comic books (that you won't take 2minutes to rename) and posit you draw up a ROI for the devs even reading a post about why they should implement this.
Their support for photo/images at all is a tacked on extra feature and not part of their mission goal.

Their website (plex.tv) doesn't even mention the feature.

You're a guy buying a BluRay player for it's clock, and you're writing to the manufacturer saying it would be "trivial" to implement new exciting clock faces and time zones and whatever else and genuinely thinking anyone cares.
What's worse is there's a very easy work-around for your esoteric nonsense (that's been pointed out already) and you don't see this as valid.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I've lost the thread of what that guy wanted but it seems like everyone agrees that Japanese comics don't matter and I'll gladly sign on to that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Just gonna suggest you are 100% of the target audience for your magical streaming comic books (that you won't take 2minutes to rename) and posit you draw up a ROI for the devs even reading a post about why they should implement this.
Their support for photo/images at all is a tacked on extra feature and not part of their mission goal.

Their website (plex.tv) doesn't even mention the feature.

You're a guy buying a BluRay player for it's clock, and you're writing to the manufacturer saying it would be "trivial" to implement new exciting clock faces and time zones and whatever else and genuinely thinking anyone cares.
What's worse is there's a very easy work-around for your esoteric nonsense (that's been pointed out already) and you don't see this as valid.

It's been requested multiple times and a quick Google shows I'm not alone so

And you need to pay attention, the trivial statement was in regards to obooquity, which already supports zip compression under a different file name and states it supports .zip. Plex makes no such statements.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Leave comic bloat poo poo out of plex imo

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sellouts posted:

Leave comic bloat poo poo out of plex imo

I agree. Good features only.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Let's strip all the Android stuff out of it while we're there then ;)

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Plex really needs to allow you a way to create "channels" out of playlists...like a Kodi-PseudoTV variant. That's really the only thing I miss about Kodi anymore due to the convenience of Plex.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

As for local metadata, be sure Local Media Assets is enabled and is the topmost agent https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies

Have you ever tried this? it doesnt work for me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Last comic post.

PerrineClostermann posted:

The big issue is support would be trivial and is already claimed by their website.
First of all, did you go into Ubooquity's admin panel and look at the "Raw FIles" listing? Comics is for CBR/CBZ files, Books is for EPUB, and the Raw Files module is for literally everything else. It seems to me that you should be able to enable Raw Files and point it to your manga folder and the unzip/unrar engine should be able to work with your files.

Failing that, maybe you should go suggest it to Ubooquity's devs, then. They've supported new file formats before, and whitelisting .zip should be a cinch. I imagine .zip's aren't considered comics for some good reaosn, probably to deal with the number of .zip files the average user has that aren't a bunch of comic pictures.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Well, Cloud Sync is another option, but it has some limitations other than being behind the Plex Pass paywall. The way Cloud Sync works is you connect a cloud storage provider to your Plex account, e.g., Google Drive, and choose what content to sync to those storage services. In my case, I have my Plex server set up to recurringly sync the 5 latest movies I add to my to library to my Google Drive and Box.com accounts. Those 5 movies are optimized (transcoded) and sent to Google Drive/Box and can be remotely streamed from there, utilizing the speed of the Google/Box cloud services instead of my home internet.

I have Plex Pass but I have not used Cloud Sync yet. If I set this up like you have, and I wanted to watch one of those movies on my Roku, would it stream the local LAN version of the movie or would it stream the Cloud Sync'd transcoded version?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why the gently caress would I use Plex to read comics? Come on man

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think Plex needs adobe PDF editing capability, AMA

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

I have Plex Pass but I have not used Cloud Sync yet. If I set this up like you have, and I wanted to watch one of those movies on my Roku, would it stream the local LAN version of the movie or would it stream the Cloud Sync'd transcoded version?

Are you using the preview release of the Plex Roku app? Cloud Sync libraries aren't available for that at the moment. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204849187-Where-is-feature-X- So to answer your question, if so, you'd be streaming the local version. If you're using the regular Plex Roku app, Cloud Sync media should be under a separate Cloud Sync section.

Cornjob posted:

Have you ever tried this? it doesnt work for me.

No, I don't use local metadata. Sorry!

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 21, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

While it's more of a chromecast complaint, I do find it rather amusing that the PS3 version of plex streams my higher def content over wifi just fine, whereas the chromecast can't.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I won't rest until my request for a text editor in Plex is addressed.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GreenBuckanneer posted:

While it's more of a chromecast complaint, I do find it rather amusing that the PS3 version of plex streams my higher def content over wifi just fine, whereas the chromecast can't.

I have the opposite issue. My ps3 struggles with plex (via the media server stuff not the plex app) and wifi in general while my chromecast has no problems.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What are the ideal settings for Plex on a fire TV? I plugged mine back in at-home after getting back on vacation, and using the experimental player I can get proper playback from mkvs that I normally don't, but it often chokes and says my transfer rate isn't enough to keep up.

This is using a gigabit wired connection on a file that is 3 mbps max '/

Is there a way to test my actual transfer rate? Its never been an issue before, all I did was have it unplugged for a week.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Any way to force a library filter to everyone? I'd like to break out my movies library into two: movies and kids movies. If I do a filter based on genre it only applies that filter to the client on my host PC and no one else.

Other than that I guess I have to manually move the media around into different folders, which screws with my acquisition process.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Any way to force a library filter to everyone? I'd like to break out my movies library into two: movies and kids movies. If I do a filter based on genre it only applies that filter to the client on my host PC and no one else.

Other than that I guess I have to manually move the media around into different folders, which screws with my acquisition process.

By everyone, do you mean in the same household using one account on multiple devices (rokus, chromecasts, etc.) or remotely to different accounts?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
EVERYONE

like both my account on multiple devices and remote accounts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

EVERYONE

like both my account on multiple devices and remote accounts.

Hmmm. Well, a simple solution for your account only is you can create a 'Kids Movies' playlist; that playlist can be accessed on any device linked to your personal Plex account; local or remote. Unfortunately Plex doesn't allow the sharing of playlists yet to other accounts you're sharing your server with. Another solution is as you already suggested: create a new library and point it to a folder that only has 'Kids Movies' in it.

Do you have PlexPass? Another idea (though not really optimal or ideal) would be to use Cloud Sync and have your server sync only specific genres, i.e., tick all the genre filters that apply when sorting (children's movies, family movies, etc.) and hit the sync button. This requires you to have a lot of cloud storage though, and a lot of bandwidth to burn. Another downside is all the media is pre-transcoded. However, the benefit of this is that you wouldn't need to create a new library or move files, and also, whenever you'd add a new family/kid oriented film, Plex will queue it up to sync automatically based on the genre tags.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 21, 2015

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Anyone else here worked with Plex/sabnzbd/etc on a VPS or cheap dedi? I personally like this solution solely because it lets my Usenet downloads fly at like 30 MB/s or whatever whereas my home connection is only like 15mbit. I had this setup working pretty well on ramnode, but the storage space is obviously pretty lacking on any reasonably priced tier. I tried moving to a kimsufi dedicated server, but the peering blows for me and the low end boxes can't handle Plex transcoding.

Is it worth trying to pursue this configuration? Any tips? Or should I just suck it up and shove another 2TB HD in my desktop and use that as my Plex server with my PS4/WiiU reprising their role as clients.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't imagine many hosting boxes having the space or horsepower to do what you want. That being said my post on this or the previous page outlines 3 companies that may offer what you want.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I've spent a good amount of time screwing around with Plex trying to get it to do something specific, and I'm not entirely sure it can work the way I want it to, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

What I'm trying to do is use my cell phone or tablet to browse my library, but play the video on my PC. I have my living room TV connected to my desktop PC, which is where I'm running the Plex media server from. Ideally, it would launch MPC-HC, and hopefully it would be configurable enough that I could specify MPC-HC to launch in fullscreen on my second monitor with English subtitles on by default. But, I would be satisfied with being able to use the Plex app on my cell phone to launch a video in any form on my desktop PC. I can work out the rest from there.

Is this possible with Plex, or should I look for another solution?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Is this possible with Plex, or should I look for another solution?

This is one of the best use cases for Plex. You need to run Plex Home Theater on your PC, then click the little chromecast icon in the Plex android app and select the target player. Any items you select on the android app will then play on the chosen device. It works great!

As for starting Plex Home Theater remotely, you will need to set it up via some third-party app. I use an SSH android app for managing my Linux media PC/server and have a little script attached to a homescreen icon that will launch or kill Home Theater when clicked.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Roundboy posted:

What are the ideal settings for Plex on a fire TV? I plugged mine back in at-home after getting back on vacation, and using the experimental player I can get proper playback from mkvs that I normally don't, but it often chokes and says my transfer rate isn't enough to keep up.

This is using a gigabit wired connection on a file that is 3 mbps max '/

Is there a way to test my actual transfer rate? Its never been an issue before, all I did was have it unplugged for a week.

If your Fire TV and the Plex server are both wired on the same router you're probably having a playback/transcoding issue instead of a bandwidth issue.

For mkv playback I wasn't able to use the Plex app on my Nexus Player until doing what this person suggested but I also have it connected to my receiver which supports multichannel PCM and seems to be a requirement for this fix. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/895207/#Comment_895207

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Raymn posted:

If your Fire TV and the Plex server are both wired on the same router you're probably having a playback/transcoding issue instead of a bandwidth issue.

For mkv playback I wasn't able to use the Plex app on my Nexus Player until doing what this person suggested but I also have it connected to my receiver which supports multichannel PCM and seems to be a requirement for this fix. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/895207/#Comment_895207

so basically im editing plex's settings for android to allow it to pass the audio, because it wasnt before ? dispite checkboxing AAC, etc from the options menu on the firetv?

AC3 audio in MKV containers seems to be a very touchy subject with plex... works everywhere else, except plex on the fire tv... and there is a lot of back and forth on that

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 21, 2015

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Are you using the preview release of the Plex Roku app? Cloud Sync libraries aren't available for that at the moment. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204849187-Where-is-feature-X- So to answer your question, if so, you'd be streaming the local version. If you're using the regular Plex Roku app, Cloud Sync media should be under a separate Cloud Sync section.

No, I don't use local metadata. Sorry!

Yeah, I have both versions on my Roku, but 95% of the time, I'm using the Preview version (I like the interface way better). So in the regular version I'd have to actually choose the Cloud Sync version, otherwise it's the local version? What about my parents, would they stream the cloud sync'd version or is that only for Plex Pass users (they're not).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Fruit Chewy posted:

Anyone else here worked with Plex/sabnzbd/etc on a VPS or cheap dedi? I personally like this solution solely because it lets my Usenet downloads fly at like 30 MB/s or whatever whereas my home connection is only like 15mbit. I had this setup working pretty well on ramnode, but the storage space is obviously pretty lacking on any reasonably priced tier. I tried moving to a kimsufi dedicated server, but the peering blows for me and the low end boxes can't handle Plex transcoding.

Is it worth trying to pursue this configuration? Any tips? Or should I just suck it up and shove another 2TB HD in my desktop and use that as my Plex server with my PS4/WiiU reprising their role as clients.

Your best bet for this is to build something and co-locate it. Or just upgrade that desktop and do it yourself (or co-locate that!). There is no profit in hosting providers for that, its both bandwidth and CPU intensive. One or the other is how they make their bones.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

DashingGentleman posted:

This is one of the best use cases for Plex. You need to run Plex Home Theater on your PC, then click the little chromecast icon in the Plex android app and select the target player. Any items you select on the android app will then play on the chosen device. It works great!

As for starting Plex Home Theater remotely, you will need to set it up via some third-party app. I use an SSH android app for managing my Linux media PC/server and have a little script attached to a homescreen icon that will launch or kill Home Theater when clicked.

Thanks... I had completely missed the fact that there was a separate program I'd need to download. I assumed the server software package would have everything, but I understand why it doesn't.

I'm getting some lag that I'll have to work out. I don't see why I should have any lag playing videos stored on the same machine as the player. Maybe this is the AC3 in MKV issue someone mentioned a bit ago?
I don't want to leave this program running constantly just so I can use it when I want to watch a film. This is what you were referring to when you said you used a third party app, right? Is that something you wrote yourself, or is that something I can download on my Android?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Roundboy posted:

so basically im editing plex's settings for android to allow it to pass the audio, because it wasnt before ? dispite checkboxing AAC, etc from the options menu on the firetv?

AC3 audio in MKV containers seems to be a very touchy subject with plex... works everywhere else, except plex on the fire tv... and there is a lot of back and forth on that

I honestly have no idea why it works or what its doing. I changed that 2 to a 6 in the Plex Android profile and it went from either no audio or stereo to proper multi-channel on all my mkvs. Keep in mind this only works if your receiver supports multi-channel pcm.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

So in the regular version I'd have to actually choose the Cloud Sync version, otherwise it's the local version?

Yes, exactly. The Cloud Sync libraries are separate from your regular libraries.

quote:

What about my parents, would they stream the cloud sync'd version or is that only for Plex Pass users (they're not).

You would have to give your parents access to your Cloud Sync libraries in order for them to access them, just as you would any other library, i.e., you have to check the libraries under "Cloud Sync" that you want to share with your parents. Your parents do not need Plex Pass on their account in order for them to access your Cloud Sync libraries.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 21, 2015

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

This is what you were referring to when you said you used a third party app, right? Is that something you wrote yourself, or is that something I can download on my Android?

Yeah. The latter. There are all kinds of PC remote control programs available for Android. On Windows you most likely you will have to run some kind of small server app on the PC. Something like this should do the trick, but maybe someone else has a better recommendation.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Yes, exactly. The Cloud Sync libraries are separate from your regular libraries.

You would have to give your parents access to your Cloud Sync libraries in order for them to access them, just as you would any other library, i.e., you have to check the libraries under "Cloud Sync" that you want to share with your parents. Your parents do not need Plex Pass on their account in order for them to access your Cloud Sync libraries.

Thank you for the info! You said you were doing something like automatic upload to Cloud Sync? How did you go about that?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Last comic post.

First of all, did you go into Ubooquity's admin panel and look at the "Raw FIles" listing? Comics is for CBR/CBZ files, Books is for EPUB, and the Raw Files module is for literally everything else. It seems to me that you should be able to enable Raw Files and point it to your manga folder and the unzip/unrar engine should be able to work with your files.

Failing that, maybe you should go suggest it to Ubooquity's devs, then. They've supported new file formats before, and whitelisting .zip should be a cinch. I imagine .zip's aren't considered comics for some good reaosn, probably to deal with the number of .zip files the average user has that aren't a bunch of comic pictures.

Yeah, I thought their Raw Files functionality would do it, but it turns out it just lets you download whatever files are in the directory. I'll have to check it out.

Gyshall posted:

I think Plex needs adobe PDF editing capability, AMA

withak posted:

I won't rest until my request for a text editor in Plex is addressed.

Why in god's name would you want a content server to have editing functionality?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

Thank you for the info! You said you were doing something like automatic upload to Cloud Sync? How did you go about that?

Here's the guide I used to set up auto sync jobs on my Plex server: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201059637-Sync-Multiple-Items-Dynamically

So say you want to auto sync some specific movies... you just choose any kind of filter in your movie library like a genre like horror, or maybe a collection you tagged some movies with (I've tagged Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, etc. as Marvel Cinematic Universe), then hit the sync button, choose Cloud Sync as the destination, and then choose how many items from those filters to sync. Once you do that, anytime you would tag a movie with the Marvel Cinematic Universe collection or add a movie that falls under the horror genre, Plex will automatically queue up that movie to be sync'd to your cloud storage.

For example, the sync jobs I set up on my server are pretty simple: I have it set to sync 10 of the last added items I add to my movies and TV show libraries, and 5 of the last added items from my documentaries and short films libraries. Anytime I add content to any of those libraries, it'll get automatically get sync'd replacing the oldest item on the sync list. Basically, once the sync jobs are created, you don't really have to do anything else other than maybe deciding to increase the amount of items you want sync'd per job.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 30, 2015

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Am I the only one that consistently has volume issues with Plex? My current setup is a Vizio smart TV streaming from my windows desktop, but I've had the same problem with multiple linux hosts and clients ranging from an HTPC to a Chromecast. Everything just comes out incredibly quiet and forces me to crank the TV volume up to like 70 when I usually keep it around 30 for any other source. I am aware of the volume boost option, but it produces some very obvious audio clipping on voices for no apparent reason.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
In an browser plex, under video setting, you can add a volume boost. Same goes for plex in Android. I don't know about other platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've seen this mentioned in the Plex forums but wanted some goon opinions.

Is there an easy way to actually disable remote access? I have it setup and it works great, but I decided to disable it last night and realized even after clicking "disable" on the server options screen, I was still able to access it just fine with IP:port/web and was able to change anything and everything. The only way I could full on disable it was to disable the port forwarding I've got setup on my router. The reason I want to do this is so someone with a little knowledge doesn't go in and jack with my setup on accident/purpose.

It's not a really really big deal but I'm just confused what it's actually disabling if I can still get in there fine. I don't have a plex pass so I'm not able to (as far as I know) mess with any user permissions so I'm at a loss.