Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LongDarkNight posted:

There's still an active community at http://www.starwarsccg.org/. The Player's Committee releases "virtual" cards that add new mechanics and make older decks viable. World Championships are in 2 weeks and there regular events on the East and West coast.

Interesting!

I bought way too many of these in the late 90s - maybe I should try to build a deck and sell the excess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's a terrible press release. It doesn't say a single thing about what the game is. Not even a single blurb of like "Players take the role of vampire wizards battling werewolf technocrats." It could be any game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think it's a pre-release press release, with the more detailed announcement coming at GenCon.

Unless you're talking about that Morrus said before the release itself, in which case yeah that's a terrible announcement.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a terrible press release. It doesn't say a single thing about what the game is. Not even a single blurb of like "Players take the role of vampire wizards battling werewolf technocrats." It could be any game.

Or, since it's Torg, every game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently the mechanics are being updated and streamlined. Thank the lord.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Apparently the mechanics are being updated and streamlined. Thank the lord.

The game will now require only one graphing calculator at the table instead of one for each player.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

The game will now require only one graphing calculator at the table instead of one for each player.

No, in Old Torg (oTorg?) only the GM had to deal with the math. The players just totaled up what they rolled and the GM did all the heavy lifting with the logarythmic scale tables. That made it rules-light! :pseudo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So AD&D 1e just had its third book re-released, I bought nWOD last month, this is coming out and I hear a new Rifts is also a thing?

I'm pretty stoked at being able to play through all these classic games. It's like Trad Games GOG.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Morrus isn't a ttg guy, he's a D&D guy (for specific values of D&D). He owns ENWorld. Also making a real sad looking heartbreaker.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do love that Morrus does lead off with "yeah, I don't know a thing about this" but couldn't be bothered to Google it or ask for more detail or anything.

"Is it based on 3e? No? Yawn."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ProfessorCirno posted:

Morrus isn't a ttg guy, he's a D&D guy (for specific values of D&D). He owns ENWorld. Also making a real sad looking heartbreaker.

Tell me it's called Bathminder.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

Tell me it's called Bathminder.
It's three games he's cleverly... er... "cleverly"... named O.L.D, N.E.W., and N.O.W.

They use a weird d6 system and seem totally unnecessary.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/whats-old-is-new-two-crunchy-roleplaying-games

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So AD&D 1e just had its third book re-released, I bought nWOD last month, this is coming out and I hear a new Rifts is also a thing?

I'm pretty stoked at being able to play through all these classic games. It's like Trad Games GOG.

The Totalbiscuit recommended tabletop game sale would be dope.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Not to temper the TORG excitement but remember that technically _Masterbook_ is a streamlined version of the TORG rules, so...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

unseenlibrarian posted:

Not to temper the TORG excitement but remember that technically _Masterbook_ is a streamlined version of the TORG rules, so...

I assume it is going to use the old system somehow since it's being overseen by a fan, but there's nothing stopping it from being an extremely cleaned up version of the game.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Totalbiscuit recommended tabletop game sale would be dope.

I for one would love creepy hour long soundclouds about RPG designers!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Please do not undercut the only good news I've had all week. :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxU3AJ6UGk

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Red posted:

Interesting!

I bought way too many of these in the late 90s - maybe I should try to build a deck and sell the excess.

It's still hands down the best CCG ever made at high level play so jump back in. There's also still a decent market to sell your collection as the die hards are looking to complete sets.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Masterbook was fuckin' great.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

LongDarkNight posted:

It's still hands down the best CCG ever made at high level play so jump back in.

I'd love to hear more about this. A lot of my friends used to play that game back in the day, but I was always a M:tG player and never bothered to seriously examine it. What makes the Star Wars CCG so compelling for high-level play?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I'm trying to run another playtest for The Next Project, just looking for another player or 2 or 3. (Already posted in the Recruit Megathread, figured I'd try here too)

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Is anyone aware of a roleplaying system that deals heavily with ships, especially modern day naval craft? Like having a ship which has stats, etc, but doesn't get too bogged down into like calibers of shells and stuff like that. Maybe also something to deal with ship personnel, doesn't need to be the same system I guess... but something that would be able to model officer skills on a ship, without getting all GURPS going to note everything you can or can't do since the beginning of time.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 22, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

It's not the steampunk that grates me, it's the fact that he calls it YE Olde Blade Shoppe. The Y in Ye is not a Y, it's a thorn! It's THE Olde Blade Shoppe!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Is anyone aware of a roleplaying system that deals heavily with ships, especially modern day naval craft? Like having a ship which has stats, etc, but doesn't get too bogged down into like calibers of shells and stuff like that. Maybe also something to deal with ship personnel, doesn't need to be the same system I guess... but something that would be able to model officer skills on a ship, without getting all GURPS going to note everything you can or can't do since the beginning of time.

Beat to Quarters is set during the Age of Sail, and ties in to Duty and Honour, which is pretty much the Sharpe roleplaying game.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This video is pretty cringey, I won't lie, but hey, they guy's having fun and he's not hurting anyone. Would that all examples of nerdom were as harmless. He's even using those magnifying goggles in a context where they debatably make sense, since they could be useful to check the edge of a blade.

I will point out that a steampunk weapon store that seems to only sell blades is a little disappointing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
One thing that has always bugged me is fantasy RPG books having no clue what to do with plain humans and going with "uh they breed a lot and are very versatile. A human can turn from fisherman to lumberjack and then to a pikeman like it ain't no thing!" gently caress you, all one needs to respec into a medieval woodcutter is moderate muscle mass, how come all these super-swole or super-smart races can't figure this poo poo out?

Still, it gave me an idea.

So, the elves tend to be very old, right? So instead of doing the tired "dickish aristocrats" shtick, maybe frame them as a society full of elderly people. Like, they're not xenophobic and condescending to other races out of spite, but they tend to just blurt out embarrassing poo poo one's grandma could say. The race isn't dying out, it's just that the stagnant elven council is Brezhnev era all over again. The reason that the society blessed with arcane wisdom still clings to dancing around trees is folks trusting their momma's "traditional" methods over whatever the Big Pharma cooks up (also they need to call grandchildren to repeatedly explain how stirrups work). Most of the ubiquitous prophecies are fraud televangelism.

Oh, and Dark Elves aren't really evil. They're the elven equivalent of metalhead teenagers who like to drink cheap wine and draw pentagrams to show their parents just how edgy they are. Hence the dumb gothy clothes.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 22, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kestral posted:

I'd love to hear more about this. A lot of my friends used to play that game back in the day, but I was always a M:tG player and never bothered to seriously examine it. What makes the Star Wars CCG so compelling for high-level play?

LongDarkNight probably has more detailed reasons, but I always liked it because it was a fairly straightforward game mechanic with very complex moving pieces. You only have two players (Light and Dark) competing to force the other to run out of cards, but you have so many resources at your disposal.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I recently picked up a couple of the starter deck things for the WoW TCG and I have no idea where to actually start with respect to deckbuilding. Anyone have a link to an archived thread for the game or something? I played Magic and Star Wars in middle school and some hearthstone now so I guess I'm not completely lost.

I know it isn't a very good game and I will probably build two decks and play them against each other once.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

One thing that has always bugged me is fantasy RPG books having no clue what to do with plain humans and going with "uh they breed a lot and are very versatile. A human can turn from fisherman to lumberjack and then to a pikeman like it ain't no thing!" gently caress you, all one needs to respec into a medieval woodcutter is moderate muscle mass, how come all these super-swole or super-smart races can't figure this poo poo out?

Still, it gave me an idea.

So, the elves tend to be very old, right? So instead of doing the tired "dickish aristocrats" shtick, maybe frame them as a society full of elderly people. Like, they're not xenophobic and condescending to other races out of spite, but they tend to just blurt out embarrassing poo poo one's grandma could say. The race isn't dying out, it's just that the stagnant elven council is Brezhnev era all over again.

While the actual mechanical representation of D&D 4th Edition Humans was still mostly bog-standard "they have a bonus feat and can allocate their stat bonuses to wherever", they tried to do something interesting with them lore-wise: they share a world with a bunch of other races that just about live forever compared to a human's lifespan, and so humans are super-aware of their mortality. That kicks their ambition into overdrive and shapes their aesthetics.

Their armor is piecemeal and mismatched, and many either wear beards or just shave their hair completely because nobody has the time to care about matching outfits or personal vanity. Their art is mostly representational: they like tattoos and flags and standards and family crests and heralds so that they have something to be remembered by after they're gone. Even the "humans have a broad range of skills/powers/feats" is justified in the form of humans being dilettantes across many trades/disciplines/professions because they don't have a hundred years to spare to study to become a Wizard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even the "humans have a broad range of skills/powers/feats" is justified in the form of humans being dilettantes across many trades/disciplines/professions because they don't have a hundred years to spare to study to become a Wizard.
And then even that bit gets encroached on by the half-elf.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I remember disliking the Star Wars CCG because they took the "silver bullet" method for dealing with overpowered strategies instead of doing the sensible thing and just restricting the card pool. Maybe that's better with the fan designed cards.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My fav dealing with humans is Greg Stolze's Out of the Violent Planet setting, which hinges on them being ordinary and boring. Basically, after making contact with alien civilizations it turns out the humans are the only known sentient species that lack psychic powers, which led them to develop all sorts of unbelievable ideas such as "guns", "destroying your enemies' poo poo rather than taking it", or "it is safer to concentrate in one place" and completely shake up the galaxy's geopolitics. Fun stuff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

My fav dealing with humans is Greg Stolze's Out of the Violent Planet setting, which hinges on them being ordinary and boring. Basically, after making contact with alien civilizations it turns out the humans are the only known sentient species that lack psychic powers, which led them to develop all sorts of unbelievable ideas such as "guns", "destroying your enemies' poo poo rather than taking it", or "it is safer to concentrate in one place" and completely shake up the galaxy's geopolitics. Fun stuff.
Violent Planet is one of my favorite Stolze concepts ever. I love how these insanely powerful psychics came to Earth and tried to violently mind-control us, and the only result was that like 1% of the human population went "hey, did you hear something?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

I try to always make humans more interesting than they're presented in the books because my players basically never pick them. In my last campaign, humans were an alien species that had spent millenia punching holes in the planar superstructure and invading other worlds of humans, conquering and assimilating them. Like locusts, they would absorb all the resources that they before ripping a hole in space-time and leaving a dead world behind them. Eventually their god-king led them to a world without humans, where he gets killed by the native goblins and their army gets wrecked by orcs. So they were these exotic aliens with all kinds of weird customs brought over from a hundred different cultures. Without a central authority holding them together, they've imploded and integrated into the goblinoid nations, where they're still about as weird as the bug-people and the elf robots.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, it looks like the Cypher Core Book (the "generic Numenera") was released yesterday too; that's probably the other reason DriveThru's borked.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Man, I didn't think Numenera could -get- more generic.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I remember disliking the Star Wars CCG because they took the "silver bullet" method for dealing with overpowered strategies instead of doing the sensible thing and just restricting the card pool. Maybe that's better with the fan designed cards.

Yeah it was a pretty bad game. I played through Endor and it was totally non-interactive, full of TONS of silver bullets, and tons of "can only deploy on Cloud City, etc." characters that suffered compared to mains from the Premier set.

SWLCG is a much much better game.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Kestral posted:

Red pointed out your deck is also your life total in SWCCG. It was also your "mana" that you pay to deploy cards. As you play cards from hand, deploy cards or draw destiny* your "life force" circulates with the order being maintained.

All the cards in the game have a Destiny value whether it's a planet, character, starship, lightsaber etc. Destiny draws are used throughout the game as a resolution mechanic. Such as Han shooting a Stormtrooper, Vader dueling Obi Wan, Yoda sensing impending danger. Generally higher is better but there were some parts where you wanted to get below a target number or it was an opposed draw with your opponent. Top level players will track their deck (and their opponent's if possible) as the game plays out so they can know the Destiny of the cards in their deck, e.g.. "my next two cards are a 6 and 7", "five cards down I have a 1". It's an elegant flow of information and mid to late game is very strategic since you're not randomly battling.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Part of Decipher's design strategy was never to ban cards and keep errata to a minimum. They also never cycled out sets which led to certain cards and strategies that required the silver bullets. Towards the end of the games official life they added Defensive Shields which were a sideboard of cards you could play in place of the silver bullets freeing up valuable deck space. The PC has continued to expand on this.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, it looks like the Cypher Core Book (the "generic Numenera") was released yesterday too; that's probably the other reason DriveThru's borked.

Generic in what sense? Just in the way of removing it from the setting or stripping out things like the remotely interesting foci?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

Generic in what sense? Just in the way of removing it from the setting or stripping out things like the remotely interesting foci?
Generic in the sense of "can be applied to any genre"; presumbaly the foci will be less focused on the Numenera/The Strange settings and be applicable to multiple settings, but I haven't read it yet.

I might end up picking it up today because I'm having a lovely-rear end day and have a tendency to eshop to make myself feel better.

• Locked thread