Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This should get entered as a battlebot next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

That looks like something I would expect to see in Rapture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's only firing a 22 WMR, so I doubt it could do serious damage to a bot.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This was a really good match but at the same time it also made it clear it's not Bronco itself drawing my ire, it's the loving ringouts. More awesome stuff could have happened :(

If they do another season of this I really hope they remove that particular possibility.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

This was a really good match but at the same time it also made it clear it's not Bronco itself drawing my ire, it's the loving ringouts. More awesome stuff could have happened :(

If they do another season of this I really hope they remove that particular possibility.

Beyond the spike strip, a smooth angled sheet of lexan, so flipped out bots slide slowly back into the ring.

And to their doom.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

They should have little ramps on all four sides so that when you get flipped out of the ring you can drive back in/your opponent can come down and suplex you onto the announcer table.

Of course you'd still have ring outs but you got till the count of ten to get back into the ring before they end the match that way.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 21, 2015

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This should get entered as a battlebot next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

I think I recall reading the flying bots are actually allowed per the current rules. I'd love to see something stupid like Robotnik's swinging ball and chain from Sonic 1.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dresh posted:

I think I recall reading the flying bots are actually allowed per the current rules. I'd love to see something stupid like Robotnik's swinging ball and chain from Sonic 1.

Flying quadcopter drones are already a growing thing, I'm sure you could trick out one of those with at least a mildly effective weapon, and with halfway decent piloting you'd be invincible to most bots' attacks. Projectiles are allowed, but you also can't intentionally throw down an oil slick or caltrops or anything to clutter the arena. I could actually see something like a mace on a chain being effective if you're just zooming around the arena building momentum and then whang a bot with it. At least, you should earn some points, and if you don't take any damage I could see you racking up a lot of Mayweather wins. The big issue would be reducing the weight of your weapon as much as possible, and maybe boosting your hovering abilities to offset the weapon's weight.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NowonSA posted:

Flying quadcopter drones are already a growing thing, I'm sure you could trick out one of those with at least a mildly effective weapon, and with halfway decent piloting you'd be invincible to most bots' attacks. Projectiles are allowed, but you also can't intentionally throw down an oil slick or caltrops or anything to clutter the arena. I could actually see something like a mace on a chain being effective if you're just zooming around the arena building momentum and then whang a bot with it. At least, you should earn some points, and if you don't take any damage I could see you racking up a lot of Mayweather wins. The big issue would be reducing the weight of your weapon as much as possible, and maybe boosting your hovering abilities to offset the weapon's weight.

Because F=ma I don't see such a bot being very effective. Every pound you save on your weapon makes it less effective. Your best bet is probably some kind of flamethrower, that looks really nasty and gives you points without being in danger yourself, even though it might not be the most effective weapon. But I doubt the producers would let you on the show, as there would be no counterplay to your but which makes the fights rather boring to watch.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GaussianCopula posted:

Because F=ma I don't see such a bot being very effective. Every pound you save on your weapon makes it less effective. Your best bet is probably some kind of flamethrower, that looks really nasty and gives you points without being in danger yourself, even though it might not be the most effective weapon. But I doubt the producers would let you on the show, as there would be no counterplay to your but which makes the fights rather boring to watch.

I could imagine the metagame evolving to a point where flying bots would be not too overpowered. Ghost Raptor has been very successful in this tournament because of its modularity. I can imagine a lot of bots emulating that in the future. If the metagame reaches a point where most bots have lots of different weapons and parts they can switch out, to an even greater extent than in this season, then they could let flyers into the TV rounds as long as most teams are prepared for the change and could make some way of dealing with them so the fight isn't boring.

The weight and cost would still be an issue and likely prevent flyers from being viable, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

I could imagine the metagame evolving to a point where flying bots would be not too overpowered. Ghost Raptor has been very successful in this tournament because of its modularity. I can imagine a lot of bots emulating that in the future. If the metagame reaches a point where most bots have lots of different weapons and parts they can switch out, to an even greater extent than in this season, then they could let flyers into the TV rounds as long as most teams are prepared for the change and could make some way of dealing with them so the fight isn't boring.

The weight and cost would still be an issue and likely prevent flyers from being viable, though.

Because of weight issues, flying bots are completely useless (also, their rotors might have to fall under the spinning weapon wind up/down requirements). The flying bot has to have enough down force to lift itself and its weapon and the more weight it has, the harder it is to control and maneuver. If the flying bot is light, then its likely that its weapon is all but utterly impotent.

Flamethrowers might be the only weapon that a flyer might be able to use without any major issue. Unfortunately, flamethrowers are all but impotent anyways so its moot. Ostensibly, a Flyer could be equipped with a claw or hooks, to grapple opponents, but that ends up being a suicide play because that flying bot is going to be trashed as it would never have enough strength to drag the opposing bot in any direction.

I also can't think of any projectile that doesn't violate the preexisting rules of the game that also wouldn't be better serviced by a bot on the ground and using any extra weight spent on the quadcopter on better servos or better armor. It's just impractical.

Flying bot vs. flying bot would be cute, but it's ultimately a game of destroying the other's rotor first like a RL version of Balloon Pop.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Use a quad to drop tall magnets on a bot then use a main bot on the ground to flip it. The enemy will be high-centered and unable to move.

Or put a camera on one and fly it around to give yourself a better view of the fight.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yea, a flamethrowing quadcopter would be tight as hell. And because untethered projectiles aren't allowed, its close to the only useful weapon you'd be able to run on a flyer. Maybe you could try to rely on the knowledge that most bots don't have much armor up top and design a thinly-disguised entanglement device to drop on them or something. But in truth it really is a matter of time before full weapons are allowed and they make Battlebots With Guns in Russia or somewhere. You could put the audience in a bulletproof bunker or something.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I guess the best option is to use the quadcopter as a minibot that lands on the enemy and unleashes a Thermit reaction which destroys the minibot and might damage the opponent.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any quadcopter bot would be ineffective. You'd need big fuckoff props to even lift something that large off the ground. which would hinder your maneuverability in the little ring. Then once you're all comfortable in the air floating above the other bot, all they need to do is shoot a burst of flame in your direction and you're falling right out of the air. The flame doesn't even need to touch the bot just take up the air underneath it and it would probably destabilize enough to crash since the arena is too small of a space to recover. I imagine this would be a risk if it was using a flamethrower as its own weapon as well.

Maybe a small helper drone could be a quad/tricopter with a flamethrower, if it were smaller it could recover faster, and it would actually get more maneuverable as you used up more fuel.

Is there a rule that says flamethrowers need to be these ineffective little flame puff things? Why doesn't anybody have a loving afterburner?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 21, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GaussianCopula posted:

I guess the best option is to use the quadcopter as a minibot that lands on the enemy and unleashes a Thermit reaction which destroys the minibot and might damage the opponent.

No suicide bots was my understanding. I imagine thermite is also probably not allowed.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Put a laser tracking system on a quadcopter so that a main bot with a strong unidirectional weapon can always orient itself in the right direction.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Could you make a suction cup bot that climbs the walls? Or would that be considered a ring out?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Any quadcopter bot would be ineffective. You'd need big fuckoff props to even lift something that large off the ground. which would hinder your maneuverability in the little ring. Then once you're all comfortable in the air floating above the other bot, all they need to do is shoot a burst of flame in your direction and you're falling right out of the air. The flame doesn't even need to touch the bot just take up the air underneath it and it would probably destabilize enough to crash since the arena is too small of a space to recover. I imagine this would be a risk if it was using a flamethrower as its own weapon as well.

Maybe a small helper drone could be a quad/tricopter with a flamethrower, if it were smaller it could recover faster, and it would actually get more maneuverable as you used up more fuel.

Is there a rule that says flamethrowers need to be these ineffective little flame puff things? Why doesn't anybody have a loving afterburner?

complete control had a pretty impressive torch

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Philip Rivers posted:

Put a laser tracking system on a quadcopter so that a main bot with a strong unidirectional weapon can always orient itself in the right direction.

There was a bot that did this in 2002, you are allowed to point the targeting laser yourself from outside the ring. I think it has to be an IR beam for safety reasons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It the fuel requirements. Only Butane or Gasoline iirc. If there was a compressor that funneled for air into the combustion mixture, that might help it, but ultimately physics and the relative agility of the bots make it so that even a healthy application of flame would do little at the heat would just conduct through the casing before really hitting the more delicate innards and would cool off immediately after pulling away from the flame.

Great Beer posted:

Use a quad to drop tall magnets on a bot then use a main bot on the ground to flip it. The enemy will be high-centered and unable to move.

Or put a camera on one and fly it around to give yourself a better view of the fight.

What's to stop the magnet from just attaching to the ground before takeoff?

hayden. posted:

Could you make a suction cup bot that climbs the walls? Or would that be considered a ring out?

It wouldn't be a ring out, but wtf is the bot going to do on the wall besides throw itself to the ground in a suicidal attack? Also, I doubt suction cups alone would be enough to hold up anything larger than the smallest of minibots. Additionally, even if it was a full bot, in order to score points it actually has to attack the other bot.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Bring a flying bot to Battlebots. Have a normal bot with a giant gently caress off fly swatter or pole net to smack it out of the air.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

KyloWinter posted:

complete control had a pretty impressive torch

Yeah, his was more of a high heat blow torch thing rather than the large flame everyone else had, which are largely ineffectual. I wish we could have seen more of that bot, it seemed solid and unfortunately just got screwed by the uneven floor of the arena.

Its builder used to be a goon back when the original show was on Comedy Central.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

What's to stop the magnet from just attaching to the ground before takeoff?

Plastic legs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Its builder used to be a goon back when the original show was on Comedy Central.
He posted earlier in this thread

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The thing with flame bots is basically that you need sustained contact. Have you ever run your hand over a candle, or when grilling coated your hand in lighter fluid and set it on fire or lit a gas grill that has put up too much gas and it explodes in your face? Nothing happens beyond maybe singing some hair and you go "whoa that was cool as gently caress". That will do exactly sweet fuckall to a metal robot. Flame weapons are worthless outside of like a thermal lance or plasma cutter which are never going to be allowed.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Xelkelvos posted:

It wouldn't be a ring out, but wtf is the bot going to do on the wall besides throw itself to the ground in a suicidal attack? Also, I doubt suction cups alone would be enough to hold up anything larger than the smallest of minibots. Additionally, even if it was a full bot, in order to score points it actually has to attack the other bot.

There are powered vacuum cups that can hold literally tons. Making one hold a 200lb robot is easy. My point is more that instead of these flimsy flying robot ideas, just have one climb the walls to the ceiling and then have a long flail that beats on the robot below.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hayden. posted:

There are powered vacuum cups that can hold literally tons. Making one hold a 200lb robot is easy. My point is more that instead of these flimsy flying robot ideas, just have one climb the walls to the ceiling and then have a long flail that beats on the robot below.

Well the robot is going to need two or more unless it has another tool that can drag it along the wall and over the scaffolding between the panels. In either case it's going to be relatively slow. Power requirements may be an issue depending on the device, but may not be as significant an issue. Additionally if the flailing device is enough to touch a robot, it's likely long enough to get entangled with the potential to be dragged off instead. Alternatively, the opposing robot may just drive to the other side of the arena and then nothing happens because the robot on the ground is going to be 100% faster than the one on the walls.

It's like having a cage match where one wrestler climbs up the side and bats at the opponent from out of reach while the opponent refuses to go up.

You'd probably be better served using that suction device on the opponent than as a means of locomotion since the logistics of the latter are probably not worth the effort.

IRQ posted:

The thing with flame bots is basically that you need sustained contact. Have you ever run your hand over a candle, or when grilling coated your hand in lighter fluid and set it on fire or lit a gas grill that has put up too much gas and it explodes in your face? Nothing happens beyond maybe singing some hair and you go "whoa that was cool as gently caress". That will do exactly sweet fuckall to a metal robot. Flame weapons are worthless outside of like a thermal lance or plasma cutter which are never going to be allowed.
Complete Control at least had a proper placement of its flamethrower with it set in the middle of the jaws of its clamp so that as it held bots, it could just bathe them in fire for as long as they could (the time limit for holds is 30 secs iirc).

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Well the robot is going to need two or more unless it has another tool that can drag it along the wall and over the scaffolding between the panels. In either case it's going to be relatively slow. Power requirements may be an issue depending on the device, but may not be as significant an issue. Additionally if the flailing device is enough to touch a robot, it's likely long enough to get entangled with the potential to be dragged off instead. Alternatively, the opposing robot may just drive to the other side of the arena and then nothing happens because the robot on the ground is going to be 100% faster than the one on the walls.

It's like having a cage match where one wrestler climbs up the side and bats at the opponent from out of reach while the opponent refuses to go up.

You'd probably be better served using that suction device on the opponent than as a means of locomotion since the logistics of the latter are probably not worth the effort.

Complete Control at least had a proper placement of its flamethrower with it set in the middle of the jaws of its clamp so that as it held bots, it could just bathe them in fire for as long as they could (the time limit for holds is 30 secs iirc).

There's a time limit for holds? That's stupid, if you catch someone and they can't get loose then that should be a legit tactic.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

There's a time limit for holds? That's stupid, if you catch someone and they can't get loose then that should be a legit tactic.

Yeah, they really need to make bots get to the ropes to break the hold.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

They've tried that in at least one competition I was at. It was a particularly boring meta. As bad as wedge meta imo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Philip Rivers posted:

Of course theres a limit on holds. A bot the could just pick a bot and hold in the air forever would only be cool for a couple matches.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Of course theres a limit on holds. A bot the could just pick a bot and hold in the air forever would only be cool for a couple matches.

It'd be super boring, sure, but it seems like you're disabling an opponent bot just as much as flipping it onto its back, and actually doing it in a cooler and more difficult way. Well, cooler than a wedge bot, Bronco sending bots 10 feet into the air is always going to be supe rad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Battlebots is a bit like wrestling and boxing in that if the competitors aren't actively engaging each other or doing poo poo that's just a matter or running the clock out, it's not really all that interesting. A win is a win, sure, but pinning the opponent to a wall and then just positioning in such a way that they can get out and then just sitting there so they can't get out is just sorta lovely and lame.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I say allow ring-outs but make it so the bot can easily get back into the fight and just award a ton of points for doing it. That way that bot can get back in and still win, but if it has to go to points then it's a shoo-in if you threw the other out earlier.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gromit posted:

I say allow ring-outs but make it so the bot can easily get back into the fight and just award a ton of points for doing it. That way that bot can get back in and still win, but if it has to go to points then it's a shoo-in if you threw the other out earlier.

I'm okay with that, kind of like how in UFC if you get multiple takedowns in a round you're probably going to win it, unless you do absolutely nothing once your opponent's on the ground and get your face punched in for most of it.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Many other competitions have ring-outs but the barrier is much higher than this one--usually a meter high, and the moat is also narrower and harder to plant someone in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think height is an issue for Bronco.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbF79cGc8I

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The most interesting part of that video is that Complete Control and Razorback had a fight at some point. And razorback had an actual weapon!

e;
And speaking of exhibition matches, this is apparantly happening on Sundays episode:

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have a feeling that Bronco vs Tombstone will be the best fight of the tournament and possibly the best fight of all time.

• Locked thread