Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Was McCain one of the pilots dropping Agent Orange?

I dunno. I kinda don't disagree with Trump on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
lotta people who have spent some time inside a locker in this thread.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

No. It wasn't sprayed from carrier-based fighters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Really, you're ok with denigrating veterans who died or were captured? Only the people who are really skilled and also lucky are worthy of respect?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tender Bender posted:

Really, you're ok with denigrating veterans who died or were captured? Only the people who are really skilled and also lucky are worthy of respect?

If you die or get captured, you lose. Geez, it's like you never watch sports!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Garrett Lewis, a local conservative talk-radio host in Tucson was ranting about Shapiro being assaulted this morning. Not sure if this is an indicator that the large personalities will rant about it, but it is starting to get some attention.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Skrewtape posted:

Hieronymous Alloy is saying, and I agree on this point, that there is no situation in which any violence, even "small" violence like this, should ever be allowed. You disagree and suggest that in this particular circumstance (and presumably in other circumstances), some level of violence is justified (or even desirable?)

gently caress that, this is why leftists always lose and Robespierre was the last leftist who did anything relevant.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tender Bender posted:

The only people involved with Vietnam who deserve respect are the draft dodgers and those who went to prison instead of serving. That and the NVA.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One things for sure, the Breitbarters are very angry about what happened

People like this...ugh...why do they CARE? What Caitlyn Jenner and any other transgendered does has ZERO effect whatsoever on my life. I don't see any reason to get in a huff about it or think it signifies the end of days or anything. If I don't understand it or even like it, it still has no impact on my day to day life. Why can't they just say "well, that's a little odd. Who knew?" and move on? Or just not buy the magazine or watch the TV show or whatever?

edit:

Can you guys imagine the backlash from Sean and Rush if someone like Bernie Sanders or George Clooney had said that poo poo about McCain? There's a double standard at work here when it comes to playing the persecution card and crying foul with media treatment. Remember the Dixie Chicks, Dan Rather, Bill Maher, Brian Williams? These are the same assholes that openly mocked John Kerry's service and medals with their stupid little band aids at the GOP convention in 2004.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 21, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Darko posted:

What you should be doing is arguing for more of a limitation on oppressive speech, then, as opposed to an expansion of violence.

Violence *can* be a net benefit at times, but it should also never be freely allowed, and thus only protected under the law when it is non aggressive escalation and purely defense. The solution you're looking for is a broader definition of hate speech when it includes a majority class purposefully trolling a minority with the specific purpose of trying to force them to have an understandable reaction and break the law themselves. Which would apply directly to the Westboro (sic?) analogy earlier.

This would help balance the scales. To take it further, I wouldn't go as far as suggesting restrictions on having or stating an opinion that happens to be bigoted ever. But having rallies, protests, and going on some kind of broadcast to spread it goes too far. It is an aggressive act of oppression that aids in denying people their civil rights and serves to dehumanize them and make them suffer. Additionally, I could classify what Shapiro did as purposefully antagonizing hate speech. He was purposefully choosing his words to attack Zoe for being transgender in the most humiliating way he could, on a broadcast, and in a way that Zoe or no one else could ever equally provide a verbal counter attack.

To define what I mean. Take the Westboro catchphrases about homosexuals. We live in a country that has In God We Trust on our money, Under God in our pledge of allegiance, and up until last month literally did not allow gays equal rights under the law. So when people use slurs against homosexuals and say god hates them, that is a pretty big deal, because generally speaking, our system backs them up. Our society backs them up. We have politicians saying the SC decision was an outrage and sinful.

Skrewtape posted:

Where we differ is that I'm not willing to risk my own right to talk poo poo to someone and not fear violence in order to achieve that end. You think it is worth this risk, and we're not going to come to agreement on this point.

The best we can do is for me to acknowledge that you understand the negative repercussions of creating a case for legalizing violence in response to speech, and for you to acknowledge that I am not trying to minimize the lovely situation that Zoey Tur was, and is, in when I say that I'm not willing to risk our civil society in allowing her revenge, satisfying as it is.

I don't see how talking poo poo to someone is remotely the same as using hate speech, where hate speech could be clearly defined, if we tried hard enough. But I guess I can see how the line could be smudged in court cases where there is little to no proof of what was said.

As for the second point I quoted. I don't see how you can say you are worried about risking our civil society when our society has openly denied many minorities their civil rights for ages. Perhaps society isn't equally civil for everyone. I doubt the people that are afraid to admit who they really are for fear of being ostracized, and/or the fear of violence, or death feel like they are living in a civil society. '

All I am saying is that right now there are basically very few consequences for being a bigot. There are basically no legal consequences at this point. And that is a problem because bigotry isn't the same as having an opinion on sports teams. That poo poo bleeds through everything they do, and it directly effects society. We have a country that stated all men were created equal when it was founded over 200 years ago, but it wasn't until 50 years ago that we decided, "ok maybe black people count as people too" and it wasn't until last month that we decided "ok maybe gay people count too I guess."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Goatman Sacks posted:

The only people involved with Vietnam who deserve respect are the draft dodgers and those who went to prison instead of serving. That and the NVA.

This is weak even for you

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So Jessie Ventura squared off against Mccinnes.
http://www.ora.tv/offthegrid/gavin-fix-0_3epe9ipq1c6j
I love to see that little sociopathic tryhard get his rear end handed to him. Jesse may be crazy and an rear end but he just see's through mcinnis's bullshit and deconstructs his arguments. Also shows him to be quite a rather insecure poo poo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

If there are literal blackshirts marching in the streets, beating and intimidating political opponents and openly trying to seize power then yeah, it's acceptable to use violence. But outside of defense against already-occuring political violence political violence is bad? I don't see how that's controversial at all?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
People unironically advocating the repeal of freedom of assembly ITT.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

icantfindaname posted:

If there are literal blackshirts marching in the streets, beating and intimidating political opponents and openly trying to seize power then yeah, it's acceptable to use violence. But outside of defense against already-occuring political violence political violence is bad? I don't see how that's controversial at all?

oppression that occurs within the boundaries of what is tolerable to society cannot be meaningfully fought within those same boundaries of society.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Oh good, most of the older Republican war hawks are safe then.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I love to see that little sociopathic tryhard get his rear end handed to him. Jesse may be crazy and an rear end but he just see's through mcinnis's bullshit and deconstructs his arguments. Also shows him to be quite a rather insecure poo poo.

:allears:.

Let him face Jon Stewart or Rachel Maddow next.

Seriously, Jesse Ventura and/or Penn Jillette seem like the only real legitimate "libetarians" in a lot of ways. I can kind of respect that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

"Legitimate" in the sense that they're the only libertarians who have managed to get into positions of relative power and are relatively respectable in the eyes of the general public. Their ideas are still just as awful as every other libertarian

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

People unironically advocating the repeal of freedom of assembly ITT.

It's possible to have laws regarding hate speech and still function as a free society FYI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

big mean giraffe posted:

It's possible to have laws regarding hate speech and still function as a free society FYI.

Europe seems to be disproving that.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

icantfindaname posted:

"Legitimate" in the sense that they're the only libertarians who have managed to get into positions of relative power and are relatively respectable in the eyes of the general public. Their ideas are still just as awful as every other libertarian

Well they actually believe what libertarians claim to believe rather than the current trend of "libertarians" like Rand Paul who are just rebranded conservatives.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess a second video came out from that PP hatchet job, anyone here have a rundown yet?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Well they actually believe what libertarians claim to believe rather than the current trend of "libertarians" like Rand Paul who are just rebranded conservatives.

Both Reagite Conservatism and Actual Libertarianism are really dumb and bad, they don't get any points for being actual libertarians. In fact it might actually be worse given that Actual Libertarianism AKA Austrian School stuff is a weird sort of intellcetualized, sociopathic far-right authoritarianism. Actual Libertarians are fans of Pinochet, legalized racial discrimination and restricting the vote to landed property owners

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 21, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Right, but at least it seems they have a moral compass with a few things and don't seem to be explicitly racist/bigoted within their ideas. They sincerely believe it's the best way for the country to go. They're extremely naive because they don't see how people could in fact abuse what they're discussing.

Penn and Ventura probably truly believe that the "Free market" would be able to correct the problems that a lot of minorities are facing. But when they see there are legitimate problems that would in fact screw someone over (IE, "Religious Freedom" bills) they seem willing to go on the side of most liberals.

MaxxBot posted:

A good post and agreed.

When we see McInnes champion Ted Cruz in that video? That's pretty much a dead give-a-way in regards to the people we're discussing.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So what's up with the Tomi Lahren video that's hit Facebook? It's obviously one of the Foxnews blondes "schooling" Obama.

I'd rather not watch it, and give any traffic count to the sites hosting it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grognan posted:

I guess a second video came out from that PP hatchet job, anyone here have a rundown yet?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/21/planned-parenthood-official-jokes-about-buying-lamborghini-with-fetus-tissue-profits.html

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Happy belated birthday to the late Frantz Fanon who would probably be cool with punching Ben Shapiro.

vvv That Too vv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 21, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Everyone posting about this should actually watch the video because Shapiro is blatantly trying to get a rise and Zoe barely touches him.

Thank you.

Why am I reading about cold-cocking and punching as if that's anything that actually happened? I mean, I know why, it's because all this handwringing would sound ridiculous if we were saying "grabbed his neck for a little bit". This isn't about beatings or suppression of free speech, none of that happened, this is about bitch-boy Ben Shapiro running to the courts to harass this woman for standing up for herself to put her back in her place for him because he's too much of a coward to do it himself, and to push his professional victim bullshit about big mean tough LGBT bullies persecuting poor wittle Christians who are just minding their own business and civilly dehumanizing people and trying to keep them second-class citizens.

Am I supposed to go crying to the cops over technical definitions of battery every time someone shoves me at a club? I'd never get anything done. You know who don't get to run to the cops and get their claims of battery taken seriously, because of attitudes like Shapiro's? Trans people.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 21, 2015

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Saw the Fox scaremongering over the video today. I should know better by now, but it still boggles a bit how the very same people I see decrying medias' jumping to the facts and 'irresponsible reporting' (in discussion of police shootings, usually) will in the same breath report dubious poo poo like this video as fact.

Sometimes I don't if the talking heads know they're just spouting bullshit for their viewers, or if they really are true believers.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Has Rush been playing any Fallout 3 lately? I caught about 10 minutes of his show on the road today, and he was on this spiel about the fake PP video, saying how democrats were hurting the weakest among us while pretending to champion the cause of the downtrodden. poo poo like that.

I ask about Fallout 3 because the whole time, it sounded a lot like something we'd hear from President John Henry Eden. Only without the accent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't think Rush needs to play any particular videogames to end up sounding like a genocidal nativist.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't think Rush needs to play any particular videogames to end up sounding like a genocidal nativist.

and an artificial intelligence

Spoilers if you haven't finished fallout 3 by now I guess.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Technical Analysis posted:

I ask about Fallout 3 because the whole time, it sounded a lot like something we'd hear from President John Henry Eden. Only without the accent.

I always thought Eden's radio show was a Limbaugh parody.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I always thought Eden's radio show was a Limbaugh parody.

It's straight up FDR fireside chats.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Crowsbeak posted:

Jesse Ventura is amazing if for no other reason the fact that he seems like the only person in the country who realised Chris Kyle was a lying shitheel who didn't do 10% of the poo poo he said.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Would it matter? The biggest problem with Agent Orange was that the DoD and commanders were lying about the risks of it to the servicemen assigned to handle it. They were told it was just a defoliant, harmless to humans. Don't blame the guys at the bottom of the totem pole for the lies told to them by those at the top, shithead.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jesse Ventura is amazing if for no other reason the fact that he seems like the only person in the country who realised Chris Kyle was a lying shitheel who didn't do 10% of the poo poo he said.

Helped that Kyle slandered him and he didn't find out till asked about it on Prison Planet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I never thought I'd feel sorry for Lindsey Graham.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Donald Trump has become the GOP Frankenstein turning on its master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Can't stump the Trump