Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

The sequel will be nothing but flashbacks to previous times Geralt, Lambert, and Eskel got drunk together. It will be a better game than The Witcher 3.

:aaaaa:

Vesemir can be played by Vesemir :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Ciri's story will continue as the protagonist of Cyberpunk while Letho goes witchering.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Witcher 3 is seriously the greatest game I've played. I've thought it over, it is the king. Yes, NES Legend of Zelda, yes, FF6, yes, NCAA footbaw; y'all have been dethroned.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah it's pretty much my favorite RPG at this point.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

Letho owns and makes me wanna buy W2. Too bad I am a console peasant who for a computer has an iMac instead of a PC.

You can play Witcher 2 on Mac too: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

(And you can also install Windows on your iMac, but that's probably more hassle than most people want to deal with if it's just for one game)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I dunno if I can play open-world RPG's anymore since Wild Hunt is like twenty good ones rolled into a single title.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno if I can play open-world RPG's anymore since Wild Hunt is like twenty good ones rolled into a single title.

Replaying this game has made me realize that I'm the same way now. Even really good open-world games pale in comparison now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CVagts posted:

Replaying this game has made me realize that I'm the same way now. Even really good open-world games pale in comparison now.

Todd Howard awakens with a start, bathed in sweat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All of Skellige is hilarious. It's an entire culture of wanna-be badass viking berserkers, but a small minority of them actually are insanely badass viking berserkers. But then they all rigidly follow a code of laws with every bit as much intrigue as the Nilfgaardian Imperial Court. But their laws are like something out of warhammer 40k.

Like how every blacksmith in Skellige is like "these swords are forged from hearts of fallen stars in the living core of a volcano" and then you go to craft something and they're an amateur.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

1stGear posted:

Todd Howard awakens with a start, bathed in sweat.

I will never touch a Bethesda game again.

I don't think I can even replay Morrowind for the 10th time.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

jaete posted:

You can play Witcher 2 on Mac too: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/

(And you can also install Windows on your iMac, but that's probably more hassle than most people want to deal with if it's just for one game)

I have bootcamp and W7 on it. I've also bought a few PC games from steam off it. It's more of just the giant pain in the rear end of rebooting just to play a game and then rebooting back into OSX to do anything else. I did get Sins of a Solar Empire though and probably should have kept at that. Generally the iMac works p well, sometimes fucks up becasue of the compatibility drivers so forth.

that said, curse you for taking up more of my time with Witcher games. :argh:

Snak posted:

All of Skellige is hilarious. It's an entire culture of wanna-be badass viking berserkers, but a small minority of them actually are insanely badass viking berserkers. But then they all rigidly follow a code of laws with every bit as much intrigue as the Nilfgaardian Imperial Court. But their laws are like something out of warhammer 40k.

Like how every blacksmith in Skellige is like "these swords are forged from hearts of fallen stars in the living core of a volcano" and then you go to craft something and they're an amateur.

I still wish I had the 4th option of romancing Cerys for my Scotish-Queen-wife. :allears:

That could also be my genes though...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She's Irish.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

She's Irish.

Welp.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's ok. I have no idea what half of the "English" accents in the games are from. I can tell Aedirnians in TW2 are different from Temerians, for instance, but I have no idea what part of the UK they're from.

Americans just suck at European accents.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

It's ok. I have no idea what half of the "English" accents in the games are from. I can tell Aedirnians in TW2 are different from Temerians, for instance, but I have no idea what part of the UK they're from.

It's understandable, we don't hear them in enough variety. Similarly, Euros are equally bad at placing American accents.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Were Chernobog runes supposed to be placed on weapons originally and that got fixed? Kind of a bummer, means the only stuff that goes on armor is sign-specific stuff.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Sharmat posted:

I like how they've given each country a different British accent and being a Brit I know what they all are!
Temerians sound southern with the nobles having a bit more of a posh Home Counties southern sound.
Redanians are Northerners, Radovid sounds Lancashire to me rather than Yorkshire (but I'm from Lancashire so probably biased)
Kaedwenis, especially in 2 sounded a bit mixed to me, some Geordie (Newcastle area) and some Irish
Aedernians and Saskia were Welsh.
Dwarves are Scottish
Skelligers are Northern Irish
Elves are just slightly posh southern with no strong accent really
and Nilfgaardians sound like they're speaking English with a Dutch or German accent.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I just ran into the strangest thing while trying to play Witcher 3. I've played earlier today without this problem so I'm straight up flabbergasted as to what the hell and how the hell.

After starting W3 via GOG my keyboard goes nuts. Tab will start up alt-tab like your holding down Alt instead of opening up my quick use menu. Escape will alt-tab like you've pressed it once and jump to the next screen. All the other keys still make me do the normal in game things.

After turning the game off my keyboard is stuck in some sort of hotkey mode. I can't type anything as the letters open up menus and do other hotkey style functions. It stays this way until I restart my PC and then I'm fine until I start up Witcher again.

Anyone else have this problem? :< I'm so confused as to how the hell this is happening and how I can keep it from happening anymore. I just want to stab things :(

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Holy poo poo, through time and space was an amazing quest.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I just started playing this, finally, and I'm wondering how to know what to sell, what to dismantle, and what to save to sell somewhere else. Are there any general rules for that?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Beeez posted:

I just started playing this, finally, and I'm wondering how to know what to sell, what to dismantle, and what to save to sell somewhere else. Are there any general rules for that?

Dismantle junk, unless it's expensive and you need cash. I dismantled swords only if they had some expensive part like sapphire dust or whatever, otherwise I just sold them. You can get rid of books after you read them, but if you sell Yen's letter you're heartless.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

pik_d posted:

Dismantle junk, unless it's expensive and you need cash. I dismantled swords only if they had some expensive part like sapphire dust or whatever, otherwise I just sold them. You can get rid of books after you read them, but if you sell Yen's letter you're heartless.

Junk being anything that just says "Dismantle or Sell" in the description?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The storytelling in this game is just so good. There is a lot of "showing instead of telling" in this game's story, and that's reasonably rare in video games. Because almost every major character is flawed in some way, a lot of the story choices, moral choices that can mean the life or death of other characters, are just best-guess. It's what Fable wishes it was like, instead of being <good choice> or <evil choice>.

For instance, I chose which candidate I support for the Throne of Skellige based on the scene where you find Hjalmar, and he is in denial about his companion being obviously dead. That's not something you want in a king.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 22, 2015

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I like to think in the ending where Ciri becomes a witcher and Geralt gives her a sword as a gift, Ciri just runs off and sells the sword. She probably finds something better after killing a smelly, toothless bandit.

I know my Geralt would deserve it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

So is the Get Junior quest still broken? I'm on the bit where I need to talk to Geralt's favourite bro and I'm not sure if I should continue just in case he can't be interacted with. This is 1.07 on PC.

Also decided to drop a few HUD things. I'm keeping the health bar because I'm a delicate cry baby, but turning off the minimap has made me think more about navigation and exploration. I heartily recommend that everyone plays without the minimap, and 1.08 should remove it entirely :colbert:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Beeez posted:

Junk being anything that just says "Dismantle or Sell" in the description?

It literally says "Junk" on the right-hand side of that box.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

pik_d posted:

It literally says "Junk" on the right-hand side of that box.

It's an overwhelming experience, I can't take in every piece of information after a few hours of playing. Thanks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Beeez posted:

It's an overwhelming experience, I can't take in every piece of information after a few hours of playing. Thanks.

Yeah that's true, I didn't mean to be harsh on you. At least it's improved sine the last game:

Gort posted:

Moridin920 posted:

W2 seemed punishingly difficult in the tutorial

Haha, yeah, this was great.

*Dumps 800 combat maneuvers and every variety of enemy in the game on a completely new player*

:eng101: "Hmm, looks like you suck and should play on "Insultingly Easy" mode"

Beeez
May 28, 2012

pik_d posted:

Yeah that's true, I didn't mean to be harsh on you. At least it's improved sine the last game:

quote:

Haha, yeah, this was great.

*Dumps 800 combat maneuvers and every variety of enemy in the game on a completely new player*

:eng101: "Hmm, looks like you suck and should play on "Insultingly Easy" mode"

I think I've got the basics down, although my last act in this day of play was rolling off a cliff while trying to avoid a bandit's attack and dying, but yeah, there's so much to do and even just to read in the menu screens. I played for 4-5 hours and the only main quest thing I did was make it to the first tavern. I don't know how I'm gonna keep track of what I've looted when I get to the big cities.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 22, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Beeez posted:

I think I've got the basics down, although my last act in this day of play was rolling off a cliff while trying to avoid a bandit's attack and dying, but yeah, there's so much to do and even just to read in the menu screens. I played for 4-5 hours and the only main quest thing I did was make it to the first tavern. I don't know how I'm gonna keep track of what I've looted when I get to the big cities.

Loot everything, it's easier that way. If you want to keep it for later, you have a stash, if you don't want it, sell it or drop it wherever. That way the box/crate/bag wont glow anymore and you know it's looted.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Beeez posted:

In general, if its magic (gold?) or a relic (orange), its worth checking what components it breaks down into. You'll never need more than 5-10 of something for crafting, unless you're going crafting crazy, but the consensus (and I agree) is to stick with the Witcher armor/swords that suit your playstyle and just upgrade them as you go.

Otherwise, sell sell sell. Keep in mind that related merchants give you better prices: eg blacksmiths and swordsmiths pay better for swords and armor than just general merchants. I'm not sure if swordsmiths pay better for swords over armorsmiths, I didn't get that anal about it. Even if they do, its likely only a couple gold.

Its also worth checking what junk breaks down into, like silverware becoming silver dust or demeterium shackles breaking down into demeterium ore.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, this is very important: REMOVE UPGRADE DESTROYS THE UPGRADE. If you have runestones in any gear you can craft, you can get the runestones out by dismantling the gear. Craft the gear again later when you need it for an upgrade. runestones are way more of a pain to craft than gear. Remove upgrade is when you put lovely runestones into relic gear you can't craft.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

pik_d posted:

Loot everything, it's easier that way. If you want to keep it for later, you have a stash, if you don't want it, sell it or drop it wherever. That way the box/crate/bag wont glow anymore and you know it's looted.

Yeah, I know, what I meant was even in White Orchard I have a few times where I wasn't 100% sure if I had already looted a place. But I'm glad I waited, because without the Stash system it seems like it'd be really tough.

Snuffman posted:

In general, if its magic (gold?) or a relic (orange), its worth checking what components it breaks down into. You'll never need more than 5-10 of something for crafting, unless you're going crafting crazy, but the consensus (and I agree) is to stick with the Witcher armor/swords that suit your playstyle and just upgrade them as you go.

Otherwise, sell sell sell. Keep in mind that related merchants give you better prices: eg blacksmiths and swordsmiths pay better for swords and armor than just general merchants. I'm not sure if swordsmiths pay better for swords over armorsmiths, I didn't get that anal about it. Even if they do, its likely only a couple gold.

Its also worth checking what junk breaks down into, like silverware becoming silver dust or demeterium shackles breaking down into demeterium ore.

Thanks, is there somewhere on the menu screen that tells you that or can you only see what it's components are when you're in the dismantle menu in a shop? And how big is the difference in gold you get for selling something between regions? My bad if I'm asking too many questions...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I know, what I meant was even in White Orchard I have a few times where I wasn't 100% sure if I had already looted a place. But I'm glad I waited, because without the Stash system it seems like it'd be really tough.

Thanks, is there somewhere on the menu screen that tells you that or can you only see what it's components are when you're in the dismantle menu in a shop? And how big is the difference in gold you get for selling something between regions? My bad if I'm asking too many questions...

Looting tip; dont do it outdoors in cities or towns. Guards get mad and if you get arrested you lose a ton of coin. Go wild in houses though, even if there's guards. I looted everywhere in the emperors castle.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between regions. Only difference the game states is selling weapons/armor to blacksmiths/armorers will get you more than selling to a general merchant. Also just by doing witchers contracts and selling the stuff you get you'll be swimming in gold in no time. Once you get to Novigrad, you should have a ton of crafting materials, and there's alcohol and food EVERYWHERE you can loot, so you don't have to worry about buying stuff and spending coin on healing items (fuckin water is expensive). I only just started Skellige and already have about 15k in coin.

Sell everything. There's no reason to hold onto swords or armor that might just be a few points over what you already have. When you get to the level where you can equip witcher swords and gear, they'll always be better than the stuff you find.

Also feel free to get rid of animal skins. They're incredibly heavy compared to the rest of the inventory items. I kept looking for the reason I was at like 70/130 with no extra gear or weapons, and it was cause of the animal skins.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 22, 2015

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I know, what I meant was even in White Orchard I have a few times where I wasn't 100% sure if I had already looted a place.

One thing that helps: When you complete an area/encounter (I.E. "fully" loot an encounter that's "about" the loot) its icon turns grey. This doesn't mean every single chest, just the important ones. It helped me cut down on excessively looting things, and to keep track of where I'd been.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Looting tip; dont do it outdoors in cities or towns. Guards get mad and if you get arrested you lose a ton of coin. Go wild in houses though, even if there's guards. I looted everywhere in the emperors castle.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between regions. Only difference the game states is selling weapons/armor to blacksmiths/armorers will get you more than selling to a general merchant. Also just by doing witchers contracts and selling the stuff you get you'll be swimming in gold in no time. Once you get to Novigrad, you should have a ton of crafting materials, and there's alcohol and food EVERYWHERE you can loot, so you don't have to worry about buying stuff and spending coin on healing items (fuckin water is expensive). I only just started Skellige and already have about 15k in coin.

Alright, I was just wondering because I thought it said in the tutorial that things may sell for different amounts depending on where you are. But if they were just talking about the fact that smiths buy certain things for more than other merchants I guess I don't have to worry about saving things for Novigrad or whatever.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

The storytelling in this game is just so good. There is a lot of "showing instead of telling" in this game's story, and that's reasonably rare in video games. Because almost every major character is flawed in some way, a lot of the story choices, moral choices that can mean the life or death of other characters, are just best-guess. It's what Fable wishes it was like, instead of being <good choice> or <evil choice>.

For instance, I chose which candidate I support for the Throne of Skellige based on the scene where you find Hjalmar, and he is in denial about his companion being obviously dead. That's not something you want in a king.

I don't want to spoil you on the specifics because I know you're not done yet, but I'm just seconding this. The absolute best scene in the game (and perhaps the most emotional moment I've ever seen in a video game) doesn't even have any dialogue.

Spoilers for the second half of the game, if you haven't gotten a warning to save before you do a certain quest, don't read this:I am of course talking about Geralt finding Ciri on the Isle of Mists and believing she's dead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

121 hours and just finished this game; what a ride. By FAR the best game i've ever played. TIme for a new play through!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I've only played up through Kaer Morhan, so ain't looking to have a conversation about results and endgame stuff and etc, but I'm a little girl so I wanna whine about this. It's about the girls and I'm gonna put it in spoilers despite there being very little of note in there.

I really like Triss and I want to pick her but the game makes it pretty clear that the character of Geralt really loves Yen. I might do it just because I want to, and I get that two games worth of history went on without me, but yeah. I have a thing for redheads with kind hearts so Triss is my girl, even if she isn't Geralt's.

Not trying to restart The Great Waifu Debate, just whining that I like one girl and the game doesn't want me to pick her :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone with knowledge of the books could probably make you dislike Triss pretty easily if you really want to be relieved of this conflict.

Also if you're at Kaer Morhen this choice should already have been made.