Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I liked the customs. We saw a much broader range of characters because of it, making Smash 4 so much fun to watch. The only good thing about melee was when Samus came out.

I watched a lot of pools and pretty much all of top 32 that was streamed, and most of the variety on stream was from people who just play those characters with or without customs. The only notable exceptions would probably be John Number's Wii Fit Trainer and maybe a few Villagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Really wish customs were far easier/faster to unlock, because customs are Cool and should be a bigger thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Little Mac posted:

I liked the customs. We saw a much broader range of characters because of it, making Smash 4 so much fun to watch. The only good thing about melee was when Samus came out.

There were a lot of cool matches in melee top 8, I didn't watch pools.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One of the outstanding uses of customs in EVO I can remember was Nairo trying to use Zamus's blaster neutral B to try and counter Zero's needle zoning, but there was a lot of other goofy stuff in those matches re: whiffed fsmashes and whatever that stun followup on the Smashville platform was.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
So is EVO smash 4 uploaded anywhere for people who missed it? I'd like to watch.
Also I wish I could upload replays from my ds because I just killed a wario in hilarious fashion. He had a fully charged fart, and farted, but G&W's uair has a vertical windbox, and I used it at the same time, so his fart propelled him out of the top of the stage, killing him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Captain Redbeard posted:

So is EVO smash 4 uploaded anywhere for people who missed it? I'd like to watch.

I was just about to axe (ask) this. Also just a good place to watch Pro Smash 4 stuff in general. I have a few of the Twitch channels bookmarked, but a lot of them don't seem to archive Smash 4 in favor of Melee. Also Twitch in general has had terrible buffering lately.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Caution, reddit warning, but they do have a very nice spoiler free top 8 VOD thread Here.

Guy A. Person posted:

I was just about to axe (ask) this. Also just a good place to watch Pro Smash 4 stuff in general. I have a few of the Twitch channels bookmarked, but a lot of them don't seem to archive Smash 4 in favor of Melee. Also Twitch in general has had terrible buffering lately.

Shameless self promotion here, but we upload all of our weekly streams to YouTube in nice convenient playlists (Smash 4 and PM) Here. Smash 4 is live on Twitch Tuesday nights and PM is live Thursday nights.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 21, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is there a Western MA Smash scene? I think I remember someone mentioned it once but I really want to play offline smash and improve against better players without dealing with online latency.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Reiley posted:

Is there a Western MA Smash scene? I think I remember someone mentioned it once but I really want to play offline smash and improve against better players without dealing with online latency.

How accessible is Natick for you? I think that's where it's run. The store's called Game Underground and it's right at Natick Mall.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

How accessible is Natick for you? I think that's where it's run. The store's called Game Underground and it's right at Natick Mall.

Natick is about a two hour drive down the mass pike for me, I'm in the pioneer valley. :(

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

yeah im getting sick of this poo poo as well.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Reiley posted:

Natick is about a two hour drive down the mass pike for me, I'm in the pioneer valley. :(

Go anyway, you might run into people from your area. I found out about my local scene at a monthly tournament 90 miles away.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

pulp rag posted:

Really wish customs were far easier/faster to unlock, because customs are Cool and should be a bigger thing.

Same here. I love the idea for improving characters while simultaneously providing even more fanservice with other signature moves from the character's games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bef posted:

yeah im getting sick of this poo poo as well.

I just moved into a new place in troy so if you wanna play sometime just hit me up

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mario's famous signature move, the electric cape

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Some characters have more representative customs than others.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

sharrrk posted:

mario's famous signature move, the electric cape

i thought it was up air for as many times in a row I get upaired at low %!

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

NNID: ugh123

Finally got this on Wii U. Already worlds better than the 3ds version.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Reiley posted:

this but washington, there isnt poo poo around here except nw majors once a year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Donowitz posted:

NNID: ugh123

Finally got this on Wii U. Already worlds better than the 3ds version.

I respect how little of a poo poo you gave about coming up with an NNID

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just found out my tv is literal garbage and has been running everything at 30fps the entire time

Good news is now I have a excuse to replay every wii-u game ever when I get it replaced.

Edit: "I don't think 60fps is that important I can hardly tell the difference honestly" Gee I wonder why in retrospect

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just found out my tv is literal garbage and has been running everything at 30fps the entire time

Good news is now I have a excuse to replay every wii-u game ever when I get it replaced.

Woah that sucks

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
How does that even happen in the 2010s?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DoctorWhat posted:

How does that even happen in the 2010s?

Was in a tight situation before 2010 when I got the tv and it never failed me and I never really cared/paid attention to the FPS and just assumed everything was 60fps. If youtube didn't start showing me everything in 60 now I'd still be happily oblivious.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Lol... that's a cute story :p

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: "I don't think 60fps is that important I can hardly tell the difference honestly" Gee I wonder why in retrospect

Well, Smash Bros run at 1080p60fps at least...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

drat what TV is this

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Goodness, you've been missing out. Even the cheapest TV these days should run at least 60fps minimum.

I'm legit curious about what model of crapmachine you've been using.

fakeedit: I don't suppose you could plug your Wii U into your computer screen at all? I've seen similar things done, though it's probably not a good idea if you're like most people who want a separate screen for both the TV and the Computer.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
This discussion is making me paranoid since I've had some concerns about my TV and the 720p60fps option on Youtube looks real good.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

Reiley posted:

Other places to look would be the tournament listings page at Smashboards to see if there's anything nearby. I found my relatively small startup scene in Georgia that way. If there's nothing you could always make a thread pinging for interest (Example) and see what comes up.

Also local colleges would be a good place to look, there's usually a Smash organization or two in those.

If all else fails you could start small, find a place (Library, Game Center, Hobby Shop) and see if they'll host small smash fests. Bring people out, cultivate interest, and slowly grow into doing small tournaments.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The MA smash scene is crazy, there's 6 or 7 weekly events in the MA-RI area, to the point that we had to make a calendar to keep track of it all.

However almost every week I get asked about a western MA smash scene and as far as I know there isn't one. It's doubly strange because two of our best players are from western MA, and far enough away that they can't consistently make events. Someone really needs to start a scene out there.

Reiley posted:

Even if you can't make it to a weekly tournament you could still come to the big monthly events, they're usually on Saturdays and last all day.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

drat what TV is this

It's a super old cheap Dynex tv. I had just gotten away from my abusive father and didn't have much money so was only able to afford it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a super old cheap Dynex tv. I had just gotten away from my abusive father and didn't have much money so was only able to afford it.

:glomp:

I almost envy you your TV upgrade. MK8 single player might blow you away

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

The MA smash scene is crazy, there's 6 or 7 weekly events in the MA-RI area, to the point that we had to make a calendar to keep track of it all.

However almost every week I get asked about a western MA smash scene and as far as I know there isn't one. It's doubly strange because two of our best players are from western MA, and far enough away that they can't consistently make events. Someone really needs to start a scene out there.

Even if you can't make it to a weekly tournament you could still come to the big monthly events, they're usually on Saturdays and last all day.

Oh cool, a monthly would be great1 I'll see what I can do.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Reiley posted:

Oh cool, a monthly would be great1 I'll see what I can do.

GUMS2 is Aug. 22nd. FB event page is here. There's also an event this Saturday in Rhode Island, but right on the border, event page for that is here.

Honestly if you wanna keep up with the New England Smash 4 scene just join This Facebook group. There's weekly events, major monthly events, in person practice sessions and online play being set up all the time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

GUMS2 is Aug. 22nd. FB event page is here. There's also an event this Saturday in Rhode Island, but right on the border, event page for that is here.

Honestly if you wanna keep up with the New England Smash 4 scene just join This Facebook group. There's weekly events, major monthly events, in person practice sessions and online play being set up all the time.

Cool, thanks for the details! I'll try to make it out on the 22nd.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm shocked Pioneer Valley doesn't have a huge scene. Like a third of the population is college kids.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There's a comic shop in Northampton with a big gamespace area upstairs, I'd thought about trying to stir one up but I'm gonna see how the eastern MA locals do it, or if there's a bunch of western folk out there. I can't imagine we'd be dry for Smash players.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have never heard of that TV brand. Is this a good or a bad thing?

Anyway, hope things get better for you. :shobon:

...In other news, the newest Smashified! showcases Bomberman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gArqv_9KwI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SL the Pyro posted:

I have never heard of that TV brand. Is this a good or a bad thing?

It's Best Buy's store brand.

• Locked thread