Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I was initially giving the benefit of the doubt on this vet bill thing, but now that the whole story (read: a very narrow portion) has come out...

quote:

$780 vet bill from taking my dogs for a walk on Saturday.

This reads as you took your dogs for a walk, there was an incident, and now you owe the vet $780. In reality, you went for a dog walk, your dog and your mom's dog went out of sight, yadda yadda yadda your mom says that she took her dog to the vet and had to pay $780. Oh, and your mom is bad with money apparently. Shocking, really.

Did you leave out the part about how you went with your mom to the vet? Because obviously this was a pretty serious incident. And surely you would have talked with the vet, explained what happened, and that you'd pay the bill, right? That's how these things go. Not, "Hey KG, I had to take Spot to the vet after what your dog may or may not have done, and it was $780 but I don't want you, the broke guy with a newborn to pay... honest!"

If you want to pay your mom eight hundred American dollars out of pocket for this mysterious vet bill, pay it, but go ahead and cross Joe's loving Crab Shack off your list. Same with the next vacation. Don't just shrug your shoulders like you tried to do with the security deposit.

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Was your dog bloody? I'd kind of assume she was. I wonder if your dog defended the JR from a coyote, and that's why the JR is still alive. That's more than just your dog telling the JR to gently caress off, and that's typically what friendly dogs do to dogs they know. Minor bite, usually one that doesn't need treatment. I'm no expert but that wound is an attack - either by your dog or something else.

Tigntink posted:

Jack Russells are lovely nervous bitey aggressive dogs in my experience. I watched one attack my doberman and almost rip my dogs throat open. Never assume size means dick.
Agreed.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

bringer posted:

Even when one of them has attacked another familiar dog and there's a baby in the house? This isn't about getting rid of the dog because it's expensive, it's about protecting their baby from a poorly trained dog that has aggression problems.

Yeahhhhh. That injury is worrying.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

bringer posted:

Even when one of them has attacked another familiar dog and there's a baby in the house? This isn't about getting rid of the dog because it's expensive, it's about protecting their baby from a poorly trained dog that has aggression problems.

I'm pretty skeptical about that injury being caused by KG's dog. That wound looks massive, herding breeds are known for being nippy (which was already concerning to be around your kid), but that looks like an outright mauling.

But if it did cause that, there's no way that dog should be in your house any more. A kid will bother your dog a thousand times more than a corgi will.

KG, you've been a little strange and evasive recently. Is all of this the 100% truth?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

I'm pretty skeptical about that injury being caused by KG's dog. That wound looks massive, herding breeds are known for being nippy (which was already concerning to be around your kid), but that looks like an outright mauling.

But if it did cause that, there's no way that dog should be in your house any more. A kid will bother your dog a thousand times more than a corgi will.

KG, you've been a little strange and evasive recently. Is all of this the 100% truth?

I posted all day yesterday. I'm being evasive because I don't want big derails. It's 100% truth yes. Why would I make this up? I was kind of hoping this discussion would swing towards my August budget actually.

With that said I'm starting to think over the scenario based on what everyone is saying, and I'm also not certain that my dog did that. She's good with our cat, good with our baby (heavily supervised of course), has been good at the dog park with other dogs, etc. The only misbehavior I've seen towards my mom's dog is... she tries to herd her. And she'll scruff her playfully as I said, but she does that with our dog, too.

I believe there's a chance it could be a coyote that did that. I'm going to give it some more thought, talk it over with my wife and mom (since we were all there), and go from there. There was no blood on my dog, though there was blood on hers either.

And to throw it out there: my mom isn't interested in fleecing me for money or some stupid poo poo like that. It's hard for you guys to know that understandably.

Etc etc this is the derail I'm trying to avoid. For everyone's sake. I appreciate the questions however.

Oh that company my wife said she wanted $60,000 at called her yesterday for a new position. It pays the same as she's making now, but it's 40 hours a week 8:00am-5:00pm. It's a tech company who has developers, so I may try to get a position there if she ends up getting the new job. It'll be a net loss for our finances for her to start working there (likely increased daycare costs), but it's worth it to us.

The vacation may be off unfortunately. Our free childcare fell through; my grandma can't handle a baby for 2 straight days (or even 1 full day), which I thought had a chance of happening.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Edit: KG pretty well covered it while I was typing this.

Yeah, this doesn't pass the smell test at all.

However- at this point, even if it wasn't caused by KG's dog, I doubt he believes it's worth the family drama to argue the point; so I don't think we are going to get anywhere harping on this.

Where are you at in remaining discretionary budget for July?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Oh that company my wife said she wanted $60,000 at called her yesterday for a new position. It pays the same as she's making now, but it's 40 hours a week 8:00am-5:00pm. It's a tech company who has developers, so I may try to get a position there if she ends up getting the new job. It'll be a net loss for our finances for her to start working there (likely increased daycare costs), but it's worth it to us.

Don't forget health care costs, second car?, etc. Do the math don't just poke at it.

It's probably a great decision for your family, but you need to math it out and make sure it's not going to put you back on your financial goals.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

Edit: KG pretty well covered it while I was typing this.

Yeah, this doesn't pass the smell test at all.

However- at this point, even if it wasn't caused by KG's dog, I doubt he believes it's worth the family drama to argue the point; so I don't think we are going to get anywhere harping on this.

Where are you at in remaining discretionary budget for July?

-38 combined for all "flex spending" categories. If we keep our overage around there then I'll consider this month a win. I'm not certain where utilities and the baby expenses will end up, but we have nearly $500 in there. I'll allocate the remaining from that EoM into the car payment next month. I think I'll list that sand rail and bug for sale too, so maybe we can do even more towards the car in August if I can sell those things. We also have some other high dollar items we could potentially sell by then as well. I want this first car debt payment to be motivating.

Bugamol posted:

Don't forget health care costs, second car?, etc. Do the math don't just poke at it.

It's probably a great decision for your family, but you need to math it out and make sure it's not going to put you back on your financial goals.

My wife said she thinks the benefits are about what she has now, but I'll try to see if their website has some benefits information listed publicly.

I'll try to do some math on the other stuff as well.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

My wife said she thinks the benefits are about what she has now, but I'll try to see if their website has some benefits information listed publicly.

I'll try to do some math on the other stuff as well.

Not to be a dick, but I think the thread has heard this about 200x and it's never been true.

Do the actual math on what it would cost your family to make sure you're not taking a $1500 hit a month so she can get an office job and/or be willing to adjust your budget (ie discretionary) if your family decides it's "worth it".

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
KG, make sure to give us all the details regarding the insurance options, retirement, etc. She can get full details before she accepts an offer. She just has to ask. This is 100% common and what you must do. They'll think it's weird if she doesn't.

Also remember she is expected to counter and I would do it at 10-20% higher. My gf got her offer from 35k to 42k. Which is 2k above what HR says the max for her job grade is. How? Countering. Granted she has years of experience, but she makes more than the 20yr admins who have been doing her job since the 90's because she countered. Twice, in fact.

Regarding vet and August budget. I would say work the 740$ into your budget. If you were budgeting 1.5k toward the car and 0 to the efund because it was full, now do 1.5k to car and 0.75k to efund and make that work around the rest of your spending. See if you can manage that, at least.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Not to be a dick, but I think the thread has heard this about 200x and it's never been true.

Do the actual math on what it would cost your family to make sure you're not taking a $1500 hit a month so she can get an office job and/or be willing to adjust your budget (ie discretionary) if your family decides it's "worth it".

Fair enough. I'll run with some numbers this evening and see how it pans out.

SiGmA_X posted:

KG, make sure to give us all the details regarding the insurance options, retirement, etc. She can get full details before she accepts an offer. She just has to ask. This is 100% common and what you must do. They'll think it's weird if she doesn't.

Also remember she is expected to counter and I would do it at 10-20% higher. My gf got her offer from 35k to 42k. Which is 2k above what HR says the max for her job grade is. How? Countering. Granted she has years of experience, but she makes more than the 20yr admins who have been doing her job since the 90's because she countered. Twice, in fact.

Regarding vet and August budget. I would say work the 740$ into your budget. If you were budgeting 1.5k toward the car and 0 to the efund because it was full, now do 1.5k to car and 0.75k to efund and make that work around the rest of your spending. See if you can manage that, at least.

Hrm. Alright I'll see if I can make up the difference here in the rest of the budget. It may very well be possible.

e: and alright I'll tell her to counter. She did that at her current job and got a $1.50/hr extra out of it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 21, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

-38 combined for all "flex spending" categories.

I want to confirm something.

Yesterday you said the following:

Knyteguy posted:

Month of August we'll do this for the flex spending areas to give it a go. We haven't tried the envelope system in years. I said I'd do it this month, but I never got around to getting to the bank. This month is looking pretty good at least, the new vet bill notwithstanding. So to ensure I actually do this: Before the 4th of August I'll pull our flexible spending, put it into envelopes, and post a picture of the envelopes here. :toxx:.

So are you saying that you've allocated the entire vet bill into this month's budget, and so you've covered the bill out of your discretionary, etc? Or are you saying you're $38 over for the month already AFTER you've covered the vet bill out of your emergency fund?

Also, how is the no smoking/no drinking going? Stressful situations are the most dangerous times for old habits to return.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
There is another dimension to your wife working that I don't know if you guys are considering but if she goes back to work even for a slight net loss right now, she's banking experience that will enable her to earn more in the future. If you can afford it without it seriously impacting your ability to feed yourselves and keep a roof over your head then it's worth it I reckon.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

I want to confirm something.

Yesterday you said the following:

So are you saying that you've allocated the entire vet bill into this month's budget, and so you've covered the bill out of your discretionary, etc? Or are you saying you're $38 over for the month already AFTER you've covered the vet bill out of your emergency fund?

Also, how is the no smoking/no drinking going? Stressful situations are the most dangerous times for old habits to return.

Vet bill came out of efund and our vet bill. Well not came out, as I haven't paid yet (though it's in YNAB). All of that was allocated to this month's budget though, yes.

Smoking not so well. Drinking very well; I haven't had any alcohol for a couple weeks now I think. Re cigarettes I ruined my remaining cigarettes in a pack I had, and picked up an e-cig (came out of my discretionary already this month). I used one of those to quit last time. Smoking is the worst.

Tamarillo posted:

There is another dimension to your wife working that I don't know if you guys are considering but if she goes back to work even for a slight net loss right now, she's banking experience that will enable her to earn more in the future. If you can afford it without it seriously impacting your ability to feed yourselves and keep a roof over your head then it's worth it I reckon.

Yes absolutely. We both agree she needs to get out of retail. One thing I had forgotten about is that this job is 40 hours a week, while her current job is technically only 37 hours a week. We'll average out her hours currently to see how many hours she's currently getting to get a better idea just how much that would affect the pay.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If your dog did in fact do that level of damage to another dog, it should not be in the home of a small child. Any dog that bites to the point of breaking skin whether it's a dog or a person needs to be evaluated by a dog trainer with experience in aggression cases. You are putting your child at risk if you do not keep the dog separated from it. Dog bites of that level are not normal.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

n8r posted:

If your dog did in fact do that level of damage to another dog, it should not be in the home of a small child. Any dog that bites to the point of breaking skin whether it's a dog or a person needs to be evaluated by a dog trainer with experience in aggression cases. You are putting your child at risk if you do not keep the dog separated from it. Dog bites of that level are not normal.

Hey now keeping pets is good with money, so he can't get rid of it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e nevermind

n8r I do intend to see a trainer to see if there's something there or not. We could use a little training help anyway.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 21, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

Yes absolutely. We both agree she needs to get out of retail. One thing I had forgotten about is that this job is 40 hours a week, while her current job is technically only 37 hours a week. We'll average out her hours currently to see how many hours she's currently getting to get a better idea just how much that would affect the pay.

Her working nine to five every week will also mean additional hours of daycare with your sister right? Make sure to factor that in, I'm sure she'll want money for that additional time.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
That dog is cute as heck but I'll agree that an Aussie who has shown those kinds of aggressive tendencies is bad news around small children. My sister-in-law and her family are a picture perfect affluent suburban family who loves dogs and knows how to care for them, but even their very beloved and well cared-for Aussie bit her and two of her three young kids within the span of a couple of years, and two of those bites required visits to the ER. It was an extremely difficult situation for them, and not because of money.

Sorry for being a dick to you at the top of the page KG. Got a little frustrated about your penny wise and pound foolish tendencies.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Easychair Bootson posted:

Got a little frustrated about your penny wise and pound foolish tendencies.

I feel like this is really the theme of the entire thread, but the current thread title's pretty good too.

What happened to your old e-cig?

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I wonder how stressful it is to take care of half a dozen animals and a baby, and live in fear of an animal mauling the baby.

Do you see how your decisions compound your problems?

Edit: I also agree that moving from retail to office for the same pay is a step up. She should make a counter offer and jump at this. It will open a great many doors down the road. Nobody gives a poo poo about retail experience. There's only so good at saying "can I help you find anything today?" you can get. Plus, retail shops hate their employees and don't hesitate to poo poo all over them.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Also what are you going to do with the dogs if you're both gone 8-9 hours a day at the same time?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Her working nine to five every week will also mean additional hours of daycare with your sister right? Make sure to factor that in, I'm sure she'll want money for that additional time.

Yep. I'm thinking probably up from $350 to ~$500-$550/mo. Pretty fair imo.

Easychair Bootson posted:

That dog is cute as heck but I'll agree that an Aussie who has shown those kinds of aggressive tendencies is bad news around small children. My sister-in-law and her family are a picture perfect affluent suburban family who loves dogs and knows how to care for them, but even their very beloved and well cared-for Aussie bit her and two of her three young kids within the span of a couple of years, and two of those bites required visits to the ER. It was an extremely difficult situation for them, and not because of money.

Sorry for being a dick to you at the top of the page KG. Got a little frustrated about your penny wise and pound foolish tendencies.

No worries. The conversation was good.

Horking Delight posted:

I feel like this is really the theme of the entire thread, but the current thread title's pretty good too.

What happened to your old e-cig?

Lost it during a move. I wasn't using it much/ever anymore so it wasn't something I considered too important to find. There's a good chance it got thrown away.

Geizkragen posted:

Also what are you going to do with the dogs if you're both gone 8-9 hours a day at the same time?

Same as we do now.

Old Fart posted:

I wonder how stressful it is to take care of half a dozen animals and a baby, and live in fear of an animal mauling the baby.

Do you see how your decisions compound your problems?

Edit: I also agree that moving from retail to office for the same pay is a step up. She should make a counter offer and jump at this. It will open a great many doors down the road. Nobody gives a poo poo about retail experience. There's only so good at saying "can I help you find anything today?" you can get. Plus, retail shops hate their employees and don't hesitate to poo poo all over them.

2 dogs 2 cats. 99% of the time it's not a big deal. I don't live in fear of our dog mauling our baby at all. The only thing our dogs do is lick the baby, which we allow briefly (after consulting the pediatrician). And yes I'm cautious and aware and take steps. I'm very happy that our son is getting exposure to animals actually. My nephew freaks out when a dog licks him because they've never had exposure. I fully intend on enrolling in training.

Can we drop the dog stuff (again)? SMS has had a rule in place for like a year now. I believe we've covered the financial aspects of having animals pretty thoroughly, and we went into the vet bill and where that's at.

I did some napkin math yesterday and the new job should work out, but we'll see when I get a chance to look at it more closely. The biggest cost I don't like is a second car. I'm trying to come up with an feasible alternative if there is one.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

Can we drop the dog stuff (again)? SMS has had a rule in place for like a year now. I believe we've covered the financial aspects of having animals pretty thoroughly, and we went into the vet bill and where that's at.

Does your renter's insurance cover dog bites. Does that coverage travel with you or is it restricted to the home specifically?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bringer posted:

Does your renter's insurance cover dog bites. Does that coverage travel with you or is it restricted to the home specifically?

I haven't checked into this quite yet, but I intend to (good idea).

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Can we drop the dog stuff (again)?

Yup. Next dogchat gets time off.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

The biggest cost I don't like is a second car. I'm trying to come up with an feasible alternative if there is one.
How far apart are the two jobs and why could one of you not just drop the other off at work? Did I miss that?

edit: weren't you also biking or walking to work at some point? What happened there?

edit2: I know Reno has public transportation, look into that as well if you truly can't come up with anything

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 22, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

How far apart are the two jobs and why could one of you not just drop the other off at work? Did I miss that?

edit: weren't you also biking or walking to work at some point? What happened there?

edit2: I know Reno has public transportation, look into that as well if you truly can't come up with anything

Walking has just been unfeasible. Despite my best efforts and shortcuts, it still takes a long time to walk 3 miles. I've even thrown some jogging in there which didn't help much. If I didn't have to be home to get the baby from my sister it would work, but if I have to stay late for any reason or whatever it just causes a bunch of turmoil.

The jobs are about as far apart as they can be in this city; though probably only 10 miles farther than her current job.

If her job schedule goes from 9:00am to 5:00pm to 8:00am to 5:00pm then I would have to get a ride an hour early to work and stay an hour late.

I'm looking into biking again though. But I'll be doing it right if I choose that path. I want to explore an off road shortcut I found walking to see if I can use it biking. It cuts off a third of a mile and takes away the large majority uphill bullcrap I'm not quite ready for. My plan is to try it this weekend, and I'll go from there.

Re: public transportation - it doesn't run out here. My job being out here cuts out the public transportation option completely for me, and unless we move again (no) then it cuts it off for my wife as well.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What about if you worked 4 10's?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

I'm looking into biking again though. But I'll be doing it right if I choose that path. I want to explore an off road shortcut I found walking to see if I can use it biking. It cuts off a third of a mile and takes away the large majority uphill bullcrap I'm not quite ready for. My plan is to try it this weekend, and I'll go from there.
If the hill is a problem, you could look into an electric assist bike. More expensive than a regular bike but a whole lot cheaper than a car.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have an electric bike and riding it barely feels like exercise. Total cheating. The battery just needs a regular old wall plug for charging.

The worst part of having an electric bike is the battery is super heavy so it's not very fun to use for exercising. Battery is removable but it's kind of a pain. But since you would use it for a commute, it doesn't matter anyway.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Someone was really upset I posted that fake six figure offer:

quote:

welcome to 2015 where scrublord programmers who work in made-up languages like "x++" can make 6 figgies easily

This thread sometimes I'll tell you. I can't tell you guys how often I've considered closing it. But, gently caress it. One thing I've been trying to learn in this thread non-financially is how to rise above, and be at peace with criticism.

SiGmA_X posted:

What about if you worked 4 10's?

I'm the main guy responsible for (low volume) tech support at my current company, which means I need to field phone calls and client emails if something goes wrong. I don't think I could get approved for 4/10s just for that, but if it comes down to it I'll explore it at least. I'd guess I'd end up working more hours for free though, and my extra day off would definitely revolve around being near a computer and having my phone available almost all of the time.

Cicero posted:

If the hill is a problem, you could look into an electric assist bike. More expensive than a regular bike but a whole lot cheaper than a car.

Ever since the MMM post about them I immediately liked the idea. Right now a bike ride to work takes about 45-60+ minutes depending on my energy, and a bike ride home takes ~20. If I was just riding home I would always be able to bike commute. but unfortunately that's not the case. If I could cut both of those down to say < 20 minutes each (3.3 miles residential) then that would become extremely practical.

Hawkgirl posted:

I have an electric bike and riding it barely feels like exercise. Total cheating. The battery just needs a regular old wall plug for charging.

The worst part of having an electric bike is the battery is super heavy so it's not very fun to use for exercising. Battery is removable but it's kind of a pain. But since you would use it for a commute, it doesn't matter anyway.

Did you go with a conversion kit, or off the shelf? Is it passive or active? Does it just keep your pedaling cadence steady like you do changing gears? Also do you mind mentioning what kind of bike you have if you went with a kit? If you ridden it in snow, how does that work? How heavy is heavy for a battery? Did you go Lithium Ion or Lead-Acid?

Lotta questions; thanks if you can get to any of them.

To head it off - no I'm not going to go buy an e-bike kit anytime soon or something crazy. I will seriously consider it if my wife gets this job, but even then I will explore as many options as I can that don't involve paying for stuff.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 22, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

Ever since the MMM post about them I immediately liked the idea. Right now a bike ride to work takes about 45-60+ minutes depending on my energy, and a bike ride home takes ~20. If I was just riding home I would always be able to bike commute. but unfortunately that's not the case. If I could cut both of those down to say < 20 minutes each (3.3 miles residential) then that would become extremely practical.
Wow, that's really slow; 45-60 minutes = 3-5mph, 20 minutes = 10mph. Those must be some big hills! Definitely look into ebikes, at a normal biking pace you should be able to cut that commute down to like 15 minutes.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
So it's 3 miles to your job?? I know we've been over this, but the more you do it the faster you will go. I can 3 miles in about 14 minutes or less usually. The hill will get easier the more you do it. So many benefits. One of the big reasons for moving was because of how close your job is, wasn't it?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

Wow, that's really slow; 45-60 minutes = 3-5mph, 20 minutes = 10mph. Those must be some big hills! Definitely look into ebikes, at a normal biking pace you should be able to cut that commute down to like 15 minutes.

I know it's kind of embarrassing! They're a little nasty yeah, and about the first mile or mile and a half is pure uphill. Alright well if it comes down to it I will absolutely investigate them further.

RheaConfused posted:

So it's 3 miles to your job?? I know we've been over this, but the more you do it the faster you will go. I can 3 miles in about 14 minutes or less usually. The hill will get easier the more you do it. So many benefits. One of the big reasons for moving was because of how close your job is, wasn't it?

See that's what I was hoping - To condition myself I was bringing my bike to work every day, and commuting home, after trying a ride to work and getting my butt kicked. After a few weeks of this I again tried a ride to work, and it took me even longer somehow. I was actually like 10 minutes late that time. I haven't tried it again since, which I consider a bit of a disappointment. The ride home at least was enjoyable.

e: missed that last question. The answer is yes. There are times I need to get home somehow (walking, recently), so in that regard it was a good choice.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 22, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Just start riding, you'll be fine.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How can you not be fit enough to ride 3 miles?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Just start riding, you'll be fine.

I would be fine if time wasn't a concern. This is why I'll be trying the shortcut I found. It's more interesting, too.

n8r posted:

How can you not be fit enough to ride 3 miles?

I don't believe this is what I said.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

I would be fine if time wasn't a concern.

Leave the house at 8:10 then? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

I don't believe this is what I said.

How can you not be fit enough to ride a bike faster than 3 miles an hour? That's literally a walking pace, and not a fast one.

• Locked thread