Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

none that I know of we're all well educated and make good money, we don't need to complain about everyone online because we don't hate our lives.
Yet here you are, complaining about people online :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So because of a family medical emergency I'm back for a few months from the States to live in Vancouver with my parents. They live in Victoria normally and they've been lucky enough to be able to stay in a condo owned by a family friend in Kitsilano. The whole area is full of Lululemon-clad housewives parading around tiny dogs and over the last couple of weeks every single conversation I've overheard the neighbour having on his patio has been about flipping properties.

Keep on keeping' on, Vancouver.

Edit: Oh, and I keep hearing ads on the radio for classes on how to flip real estate FAST to make a SERIOUS PROFIT!!!! I thought that poo poo was behind us after 2008.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
We mainly rip on Alberta''s plight because of their "gently caress you got mine" attitude during the boom. If they had a more friendly attitude maybe things would be different :colbert:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

THC posted:

Yet here you are, complaining about people online :allears:

I see it more as a gawking situation, especially given that poo poo is starting to hit the fan amongst the debt ridden, oil-drilling, pick-up-truck-owning crowd - as we all knew it would eventually.

Those people generally end up complaining endlessly online about how their present situation is no fault of their own, while us smarter folks gawk and mock as a way to remind ourselves how terrible it would be to be in their shoes.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Ya, can confirm the radio ads for house flipping seminars is a thing right now in Vancouver.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

MeinPanzer posted:

Edit: Oh, and I keep hearing ads on the radio for classes on how to flip real estate FAST to make a SERIOUS PROFIT!!!! I thought that poo poo was behind us after 2008.

Seems like that would be a sign of the bubble starting to burst. If the flippers can't make money so resort to showing others how to do it to get their income then...

On the other hand those ads have been playing for more than a year now so who knows.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My favourite way to tell an economy is in the shitter is all the ads for "no credit no problem call now get approved in minutes". Like a poo poo-canary in a poo poo mine.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This is ____ from HGTVs flip that house version 4, let me tell you about my guaranteed system to flip houses with other peoples money. Space is limited so book today

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

My favourite way to tell an economy is in the shitter is all the ads for "no credit no problem call now get approved in minutes". Like a poo poo-canary in a poo poo mine.

The shithawks are circling...

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Do it ironically posted:

This is still the best comedy thread on this forums, please keep up the Alberta hate comments, me and my co-workers get a big laugh out of it :)

British Columbian spotted.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
So there are people working for the oil industry who made 6k+ a month and had nothing saved? Like not even a grand so you can survive one month without using a credit card for loving grocery shopping?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

OhYeah posted:

So there are people working for the oil industry who made 6k+ a month and had nothing saved? Like not even a grand so you can survive one month without using a credit card for loving grocery shopping?

What's wrong with using a credit card at the grocery store?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just like last summer I was just in Nova Scotia visiting the parents for a week and it is depressing as ever. If you try real hard you can find children so it's not entirely constituted of seniors. Aside from a few university towns and top-end tourist attractions it is just atrophying away...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Nothing, if you actually have money sitting around to pay it off.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm a couple pages late, but to add to the outdoorsy stuff to do in AB, with a couple hours' worth of driving from Edmonton, you could have your choice of a couple dozen lakes to get out on. They present an opportunity not afforded to those in Victoria: Ice fishing. Since moving to the coast, I miss being able to get out on the water without a boat. It's not sailing around the Gulf Islands / scaling the Chief levels of awesome, but taking a snowmobile out on the lake for a few miles, and jigging up some trout is pretty fun.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Why would you use a credit card if you could just use a debit card, meaning use only the money that you actually have on your bank account?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

Why would you use a credit card if you could just use a debit card, meaning use only the money that you actually have on your bank account?

Cashback.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

Because that money is for building F-150 equity.

It's like people aren't even reading the thread.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

OhYeah posted:

There's plenty of reward point systems that can make using a credit card worthwhile if you actually pay it off before you get charged interest. I get at least $20 a month in free groceries from using the superstore credit card points thing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i use credit cards because cashback and i dont want to pay ridiculous bank fees for doing 15+ debit transactions or whatever

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yeah, my credit card has way better incentives and protections than my debit card (which has none!), and as long as you make sure you don't spend more than you can pay off, there's literally no upside to debit card use compared to credit card use.

If you know you have the money to cover the bill, why not use a credit card, I should say?

Using credit cards for everything you possibly can is actually pretty smart. I figured out that if I'd been paying my cable bills with my credit card for the past few years, I'd literally have thousands more Aeroplan miles by now. It's credit card debt, not credit card use in and of itself, that should be avoided like the plague.

I'm 26 now, and excluding some interest I paid on a $50 cash advance because my lovely BMO debit card wouldn't work in Cuba, I've not paid a single cent in credit card interest in my life.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 21, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I have an Amazon credit card that I use to buy more books. It has never carried a balance beyond three days except when I travel since it has no foreign transaction fees and I cannot be bothered to touch my online banking outside of my own home.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Using a debut card is dumb. You pay fees and are out money in the event of fraud. With credit cards you get an interest fee loan in addition to incentives like cashback as well as less exposure due to fraud.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand even a little bit why people use their debit cards so often, they fuckin suck.

Also aside from the rewards and cashback and stuff a credit card is the easiest way to build credit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Using a debut card is dumb. You pay fees and are out money in the event of fraud.

Whats even dumber is using a bank that charges you money to access your own money :laugh:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

Whats even dumber is using a bank that charges you money to access your own money :laugh:
Most people don't understand at all how banks work. They accept service fees because they don't understand that banks use their deposits as loans to make money. They actually believe that the bank just puts their money in a vault and holds it for them until needed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Most people don't understand at all how banks work. They accept service fees because they don't understand that banks use their deposits as loans to make money. They actually believe that the bank just puts their money in a vault and holds it for them until needed.

Thats exactly how my bank works in between the box frame and mattress

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do banks actually charge people to use cards? I've only ever used a credit union and they've never charged for debit use or had any sort of monthly fees. I remember when my wife needed to get a temporary BMO account, getting the account required a meeting and a ton of paper work and picking a million options and basically everything either was ridiculously limited or had monthly fees, card usage fees, and all sorts of limitations. It boggled my mind why any normal working class person that just needs a place to deposit their paycheques and get a debit card would ever use a bank vs a credit union.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Square Peg posted:

There's plenty of reward point systems that can make using a credit card worthwhile if you actually pay it off before you get charged interest. I get at least $20 a month in free groceries from using the superstore credit card points thing.

OK, I'm not aware of any incentives for credit card use like that in my country. I didn't even realize it could make sound financial sense.

RBC posted:

i use credit cards because cashback and i dont want to pay ridiculous bank fees for doing 15+ debit transactions or whatever

I pay around 2 EUR per month for my bank account and for that I get unlimited online transactions across Europe, I can use all the ATMs and do debit card payments without any extra fees.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Do banks actually charge people to use cards? I've only ever used a credit union and they've never charged for debit use or had any sort of monthly fees. I remember when my wife needed to get a temporary BMO account, getting the account required a meeting and a ton of paper work and picking a million options and basically everything either was ridiculously limited or had monthly fees, card usage fees, and all sorts of limitations. It boggled my mind why any normal working class person that just needs a place to deposit their paycheques and get a debit card would ever use a bank vs a credit union.

My credit union has a monthly fee for chequing accounts, but it's waived if you have over $1000 dollars in it at all times.
But it's Servus, which is basically only a credit union in name at this point.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Arent Canadian banks are among the most profitable in the world because they charge fees for everything? I cut my debit card up into a million pieces, set it on fire and pissed on the molten puddle because they wanted to charge me $2.50 for every debit transaction after my first free (:lol:) 10 per month.

I use my credit card, get home, pay it off online because they dont charge you to do that... yet...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Canadians literally do not understand money at all.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I love RBC as a shareholder but I hate them as a client. I still get free banking with them but I am pretty much fully transitioned to Tangerine so am dropping them in a year when I lose the free chequing.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love Tangerine but I'm terrified ScotiaBank is going to gently caress it up.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Baronjutter posted:

I've never lived anywhere else and I don't know the rules in other provinces, but don't credit unions work differently outside of BC? That's why Vancity and Coast Capital haven't gone national yet (I assume).

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I love my credit card. I run 4-5 grand through it a month, the points are freaking awesome. After my fiancé finishes her current bout of schooling we need to figure out where to go, they're piling up fast. But yeah, as people have said the key is to pay those fuckers off every month, never not pay it off in full.

Edit: phone auto correct sucks.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 21, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gorau posted:

I love my credit card. I run 4-5 grand through it a month, the points are freaking awesome. After my fiancé finishes her current bout of schooling we need to figure out where to go, they're piling up fast. But yeah, as people have Saudi, the key is to pay those fuckers off every month, never not pay it off in full.

You spend 4-5 grand a MONTH???

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I normally get $500 or $600 back each year on the cc, so that's ok. :shrug:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

You spend 4-5 grand a MONTH???

Sometimes more!

It's a personal credit card but a lot of business expenses go through it. Room and board for two or three people plus diesel can get expensive fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Gorau posted:

Sometimes more!

It's a personal credit card but a lot of business expenses go through it. Room and board for two or three people plus diesel can get expensive fast.

Yeah our last IT guy would always make company computer and software purchases through his personal card and then expense it back and kept the points.