Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If it weren't for the fact that it was deliberate, the transmission making GBS threads the bed could just as easily been explained away as "lol Chrysler".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Canadians screwing hard working Americans on auto prices yet again :argh:

But but... Canadians ARE Americans! :ohdear:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm not sure whether to be pleased that my sync3 will be wifi enabled and updateable to fix this kind of poo poo, or scared to death of the same. AFAIK theres no 3G/wimax/LTE, so at least it wont be connected to the web while out and about.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I'm not sure whether to be pleased that my sync3 will be wifi enabled and updateable to fix this kind of poo poo, or scared to death of the same. AFAIK theres no 3G/wimax/LTE, so at least it wont be connected to the web while out and about.

Until you connect your phone via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Both (like Sync3 and UConnect) are running on a QNX-based system that, in theory, was designed explicitly against allowing one module to compromise another. As much as I want BlackBerry to succeed if this proves to be a fault of theirs then their whole automotive monopoly may fall apart.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jonny Quest posted:

Until you connect your phone via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Both (like Sync3 and UConnect) are running on a QNX-based system that, in theory, was designed explicitly against allowing one module to compromise another. As much as I want BlackBerry to succeed if this proves to be a fault of theirs then their whole automotive monopoly may fall apart.
Good point about AA. Damnit. Not planning on using that too much due to having to plug in while BT works fine for streaming audio.

I doubt it's a QNX exploit, because of what you list. Possible? Sure. Likely? No. More likely its the software FCA stacked on top of QNX deliberately allowing it to forward commands to the rest of the car.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I think it was when onboard GPSes could talk to the cruise control (YO CAR THERES A HILL COMING) did the floodgates open for the infotainment to talk to the powertrain. And now here we are.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ziploc posted:

I think it was when onboard GPSes could talk to the cruise control (YO CAR THERES A HILL COMING) did the floodgates open for the infotainment to talk to the powertrain. And now here we are.

Did anybody really complain that a car would be too slow to downshift when it hit the hill? I mean, it seems to be technology for the sake of technology at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Did anybody really complain that a car would be too slow to downshift when it hit the hill? I mean, it seems to be technology for the sake of technology at this point.

I can't think of a cruise control system that actually does this. I could be wrong, though.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I know Porsche just demoed one that used GPS to maximize mileage over hills and also to predict the radius of upcoming curves and automatically take them at 0.7G or less, but I didn't think it was shipping yet.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

I can't think of a cruise control system that actually does this. I could be wrong, though.

I've heard in the new BMW 7-series it will adjust the gearing when the GPS knows you're coming to a curve or a hill.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Both of those are loving dumb, jeez

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

poo poo, the cruise control in my 4 cylinder '91 camry did that!

(It was because with a whopping 90 horsepower it couldn't maintain 75mph uphill in top gear :smith: )

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Linedance posted:

If it weren't for the fact that it was deliberate, the transmission making GBS threads the bed could just as easily been explained away as "lol Chrysler".

FYI, kastein does a hell of a rant on this ultimately still very "lol Chrysler" situation in the Terrible Car Stuff thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

(It was because with a whopping 90 horsepower it couldn't maintain 75mph uphill in top gear :smith: )

It used GPS to do that or it could just tell that it was on a hill?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Think about how this could help a hybrid decide when to run the gas engine.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

Trucks have had it for ages, I guess it makes sense pulling a lot of weight Here

Also ref remote accessing of vehicles, we denied a guy complaining his brake pads were only lasting 3 months at a time because yes, we can spy on what you are doing in your truck and yes, you are about 5 tons overweight.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi, BMW, & Mercedes are reported to be the favoured bid to jointly buy Nokia's mapping business for $2.7 billion

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Goddamn it.

Why can't people just, you know, drive their loving cars.

Driving is awesome and fun. I don't need a distraction from it, nor do I need a computer to make it easier and more disconnected.

This reads pretty :corsair: but I don't care.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If anything, we need the GPS to remind moron drivers about hills and how they should adjust their throttle accordingly. We're going up a hill, you must push the gas pedal harder temporarily to maintain speed, you utter loving morons!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Oooohh, but I don't wanna blow up the motor..."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I cheered when I saw Mercedes was making new straight-sixes; I was immediately repulsed that they want to wrap them in every self-driving and safety gizmo they possibly can.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I know Porsche just demoed one that used GPS to maximize mileage over hills and also to predict the radius of upcoming curves and automatically take them at 0.7G or less

Well that's no fun.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

I used to drive a '91 4 cyl Camry. It could do hills just fine in fifth gear. Manual trans supremacy. (They also have 115 hp, not 90, at the crank)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

El Scotch posted:

I cheered when I saw Mercedes was making new straight-sixes; I was immediately repulsed that they want to wrap them in every self-driving and safety gizmo they possibly can.

I can't wait for self-driving cars, frankly. being able to read the news or whatever on my way to work while i have a coffee? yes please.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LeeMajors posted:

Goddamn it.

Driving is awesome and fun. I don't need a distraction from it, nor do I need a computer to make it easier and more disconnected.

Commuting sucks though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Commuting sucks though.

Also people are really really bad at driving

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

LeeMajors posted:

Goddamn it.

99%+ of people on the road would rather be doing something else. Driving is just another not-fun requirement of their daily adult lives, like taking a poo poo or having to wake up at 6:30am to get ready for work. Anything that stops them from really having to actively participate is, to them, a good thing - and that includes being completely unable to remember driving to work in the morning because they were reading news articles on their phone, and completely unable to remember driving home in the evening because they were having a conversation on the phone about what bar to meet their friends at.

Self-driving technology, as long as it's not mandatory, is a Very Good Thing.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Subaru announced a limited edition color for the STI and BRZ:

http://www.subaru.com/2016-brz-sti-series-hyperblue.html

I really like the color but I'm not sure what the pricing will be like or availability. Pound for pound the WRX is probably a better performance bargain, but from what I read you get better brakes, the dccd and limited slip differentials with the STI along with a few other tweaks. I've found some listed locally for $33.9k, and I'm a fan of white as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like the focus RS blue, at least the wheels are a different co.......oh

This is embarrassing. They even had 4 months notice that the hotter girl was showing up in that dress.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sigma X posted:

99%+ of people on the road would rather be doing something else. Driving is just another not-fun requirement of their daily adult lives, like taking a poo poo or having to wake up at 6:30am to get ready for work. Anything that stops them from really having to actively participate is, to them, a good thing - and that includes being completely unable to remember driving to work in the morning because they were reading news articles on their phone, and completely unable to remember driving home in the evening because they were having a conversation on the phone about what bar to meet their friends at.

Self-driving technology, as long as it's not mandatory, is a Very Good Thing.

:sigh:

That Focus is sexy as gently caress, and I can't believe I just typed that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

looks like the focus RS blue, at least the wheels are a different co.......oh

This is embarrassing. They even had 4 months notice that the hotter girl was showing up in that dress.

Both of those colors are also suspiciously close to what Volvo/Polestar have been using for years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Both of those colors are also suspiciously close to what Volvo/Polestar have been using for years.

Yeah, but the polestar is an entirely different class of vehicle. nearly double the price of the STI/RS.

Ford also has some history with the hue.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Don't tell me you enjoy having to spend 45 minutes in traffic every morning and back.

That's most people's commute these days.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The Nitrous Blue of the new RS is actually different from the Liquid Blue that the previous Ford hot hatches have had, and both it and the Subaru color look rather close to BMW's Yas Marina Blue (at least in pictures). Complaining that Subaru is ripping off Ford is kind of silly.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GokieKS posted:

The Nitrous Blue of the new RS is actually different from the Liquid Blue that the previous Ford hot hatches have had, and both it and the Subaru color look rather close to BMW's Yas Marina Blue (at least in pictures). Complaining that Subaru is ripping off Ford is kind of silly.

You, like, don't own the rainbow, man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GokieKS posted:

I'm not saying anybody's ripping off anybody, they've been covering vehicles in that color for a century now.

What i'm saying is that their "special" version perfectly matches the style of their more powerful, more practical, more attractive competitors regular version.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Did you really just post a picture of a model car?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Did you really just post a picture of a model car?

nothing gets by you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Olivil posted:

Don't tell me you enjoy having to spend 45 minutes in traffic every morning and back.

That's most people's commute these days.

Exactly. I would gladly pay a membership for a private driving club track where I can do my fun driving if it means all cars on the road are driverless. Things like traffic jam and people cutting you off or driving too slow or fast aren't going to go away until the cars themselves are talking to each other and coordinating openings for merges and telling each other who needs to turn where.

Right now, there's enough total idiots piloting cars that you essentially have to treat the behavior of other cars on the road as totally random and potentially about to kill you at any moment. Computers have no choice but to play by the rules you program. Driving can be totally deterministic. Just tell your car where you need to go and how urgent it is (so that other cars will give you priority if your going to the er with an injured child or something), sit back, and all the other traffic will make room and coordinate with your car so you all get where you're going on time with minimal stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Basically what I'm saying is that driving for fun should be like shooting a gun for fun. It doesn't really have a place in public. You should go to a designated place for it.